Options

Car Talk Thread

Comments

• Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2006
    Is this real?
    This was parked at a diner we stopped at on the way back from Vegas. I'm not a Cobra expert, but it looks real to me... anyone know for sure?

65128775-L.jpg

65128812-L.jpg

65128795-L.jpg

If you look closely at the right-hand side dash, it appears to be signed by Jay Leno and Carroll Shelby. I didn't notice this until I was reviewing these pics, or I would have gotten a closeup. The guy driving it certainly wasn't Leno, or I would have a heard a commotion somewhere.
    Chris
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2006
    ChrisJ wrote:
    This was parked at a diner we stopped at on the way back from Vegas. I'm not a Cobra expert, but it looks real to me... anyone know for sure?

65128795-S.jpg

If you look closely at the right-hand side dash, it appears to be signed by Jay Leno and Carroll Shelby. I didn't notice this until I was reviewing these pics, or I would have gotten a closeup. The guy driving it certainly wasn't Leno, or I would have a heard a commotion somewhere.

I had my father, who owns a kit 427 Cobra, look at your pics. He's 90% sure it's a kit. He says the roll hoop on the real Cobra did not have the through bolted rear brace. The rear brace was one piece up to where it met the main hoop. At the brace/hoop junction there was a coupling.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 19, 2006
    Uhg red BMW guy is backing off a little

65292483-M.jpg

I know you guys aren't a fan but I just can't stop going back to them. This one has 80kmi and he will trade for my 325ix. *sigh*
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2006
    He's backing out of the deal? Man, what a jerk...granted I don't have much (none) experience with BMW convertibles, but knowing what BMW fit and finish used to be, I wouldn't be so keen to buy one.
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2006
    You'll like this spike. I just got into 190E 16V's like yesterday. this one sold on ebay for $3k!

01_4.JPG

I would love to have one of those.
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2006
    cletus wrote:
    I had my father, who owns a kit 427 Cobra, look at your pics. He's 90% sure it's a kit. He says the roll hoop on the real Cobra did not have the through bolted rear brace. The rear brace was one piece up to where it met the main hoop. At the brace/hoop junction there was a coupling.

Ah, well... the one thing I know about Cobra's is that most of them that are seen are kits. It still looked really nice, though!
    Chris
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    You'll like this spike. I just got into 190E 16V's like yesterday. this one sold on ebay for $3k!

01_4.JPG

Borbet Type C's thumb.gifclap.gif

Good looking, strong, easy to clean, etc... I had a set on my '91 Sentra SER (never should have sold that car :cry)
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2006
    Las Vegas Test Drive...
    If any of you are going out to Las Vegas for the dgrin shootout, you might want to stop by General Motors' "The Drive." You can test drive Hummer H2s and H3s over an off-road course, and several other vehicles over a road course.

It's $10 for 2 drives. My brother and I did it twice. I drove a Corvette, H3, Caddy STS-V, and Pontiac Solstice. Pretty short course, but it was still a blast. Only the Caddy and the Solstice had stick shifts. You get two laps on the road course for each vehicle, though the guy gave me 3 on the Solstice.

Here's a quick article I found via Google: The Drive [lasvegasvegas.com]

It's easiest to park at the Sahara hotel and walk across the sky bridge, or there is a monorail stop right there.

Note: I'm not affiliated with GM in any way, except I owned a Saturn for a while... but it's fun to abuse their vehicles in Las Vegas.
    Chris
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2006
    Yup Borbet type C's.

I'm more of a type A fan

borbet-a.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:

I like them, though none of the 190E's were fast, still neat though. I'm a big M635csi fan, so it's not to say I don't like BMW, it's just that their fit and finish wasn't up to MB standards until the E38/E39/E46, and then they fell they just quickly as they rose.

450SEL 6.9 is what you ought to get if you can lay out some big money (like 20k for a good one)...300SEL 6.3 if you can lay out bigger (like 40k hehe). Another nice one is the 560SEC, and you can sometimes pick those up in good condition for around 12k...or if you are willing to bolt on a supercharger find a 500SEC euro and run about 6psi boost (or 12psi if you are willing to run methanol water injection and fire ring the headgasket)...now THAT would be fun.
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2006
    I like them, though none of the 190E's were fast, still neat though.
    You must be on crack. The 190E 16v has 190hp and 171tq, 4 cylinder and weighs only 3000lbs. Thats fast my friend.
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    You must be on crack. The 190E 16v has 190hp and 171tq, 4 cylinder and weighs only 3000lbs. Thats fast my friend.
    We seem to have different definitions for fast. Fast to me means sub 15second 1/4 mile...why yes, I do live in a world I can't afford. Actually, even that isn't really fast to me, but that's where I draw my cutoff for "quick". I'd say fast is sub-14
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2006
    64900432-M.jpg

Blue car on the right

e34 5-series

64899326-M.jpg

I'm such a ricer at heart iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2006
    Went to the Secretary Of State today to renew my plates. This annual tradition of wasted time tought me two things. A) They still don't take credit cards in the branch offices and B) I don't want kids. No way no how.

But I did get some good news, after they took my money I asked if they could see how many points I had on my license. So she looked it up. I DON'T HAVE ANY POINTS ON MY LICENSE. When she told me this she saw my jaw drop and proceeded to ask "Why? How many did you think were there?"

Makes me wanna go out and buy myself another car for my birthday or a motorcyle even. But then again if I did I can already hear the magistrates voice "Son if I told you this once, I told you this twice (and I do remember doing that that one year), YOU HAVE A SPEEDING PROBLEM AND NEED TO GET HELP."

So I'm thinking of looking at some sport bikes this weekend :D .
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2006
    Nice, how many points do I get for a turning violation? Maybe 2? Thats what I have.
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2006
    What happened to the old school Car Talk Thread people?

IMG_0695.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2006
    Who would they be? And the second post has driven me to saying it: that blue BMW disgraces the vaterland.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 20, 2006
    Who would they be? And the second post has driven me to saying it: that blue BMW disgraces the vaterland.
    Somewhere, a Bavarian designer is crying.

those headlight "brows" aren't even straight, and the front lower lip looks like it was painted by a 2-year old. Don't get me started on the "tinted" brake lights. Please, gag me with some chopsticks.

He should have stopped at the wheel and suspension mods. rolleyes1.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited April 20, 2006
    So I'm thinking of looking at some sport bikes this weekend :D .
    There goes the neighborhood.

Seriously, sport bikes these days, especially the 600's are just ridiculous. Because the Japanese makers have been entrenched at being the best in the AMA supersport class ("no" mods allowed), the stock bikes have become sick. I've never seen a bigger waste on the road. You'll never tap more than 20% of what that bike can do, unless you track it, even then, you won't get more than maybe 60% out of it.

You want fun? forget the spanish inquisition style rack-like sport bikes... get yourself a motard. Now there's the most fun you can have with your clothes on. naughty.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited April 20, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Somewhere, a Bavarian designer is crying.

those headlight "brows" aren't even straight, and the front lower lip looks like it was painted by a 2-year old. Don't get me started on the "tinted" brake lights. Please, gag me with some chopsticks.

He should have stopped at the wheel and suspension mods. rolleyes1.gif
    I'm a ricer at heart. It's definatley fixable though.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    What happened to the old school Car Talk Thread people?

Yo, Cra$h, "The Good Son" says wave.gif Hi lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Yo, Cra$h, "The Good Son" says wave.gif Hi lol3.gif
    Hi Oliver.

Get him to sign up for AIM or something so I can have some entertainment this week.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    Hi Oliver.

Get him to sign up for AIM or something so I can have some entertainment this week.

:nah He's too busy, STUDYING his Calculus and PREPARING for his EXAMS.

lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2006
    Yeah well I'm in class :D
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    There goes the neighborhood.

Seriously, sport bikes these days, especially the 600's are just ridiculous. Because the Japanese makers have been entrenched at being the best in the AMA supersport class ("no" mods allowed), the stock bikes have become sick. I've never seen a bigger waste on the road. You'll never tap more than 20% of what that bike can do, unless you track it, even then, you won't get more than maybe 60% out of it.

Granted I don't even have my motorcycle license, but I agree. My brother says if you go motorcycle go Hayabusa, but I'm a big fan of the nice bikes that are quick enough. BMW's naked line, Triumphs lineup of so-called modern classics, Honda shadow with the the 583 or 750.
    What's up with the websites for the motorcycle divisions of Japanese companies never posting output numbers though?
    And whatever happened to full size 49cc bikes? Seems like nowadays the only things with 49cc are scooters or cushman-size.
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2006
    Granted I don't even have my motorcycle license, but I agree. My brother says if you go motorcycle go Hayabusa, but I'm a big fan of the nice bikes that are quick enough. BMW's naked line, Triumphs lineup of so-called modern classics, Honda shadow with the the 583 or 750.
    What's up with the websites for the motorcycle divisions of Japanese companies never posting output numbers though?
    And whatever happened to full size 49cc bikes? Seems like nowadays the only things with 49cc are scooters or cushman-size.
    49cc scooters are fun:

31661800-M.jpg

(and get 90mpg)
    Erik

• Options
    edited April 20, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    49cc scooters are fun:

(and get 90mpg)
    Maybe, but I would want something a little cooler. Like the late-60's Honda Sport 50's and things like that...only newer, but it doesn't seem anybody makes them. The biggest 49cc I can find is some 49cc in a 125cc frame stuff on ebay, which is still cushman sized.
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2006
    Maybe, but I would want something a little cooler. Like the late-60's Honda Sport 50's and things like that...only newer, but it doesn't seem anybody makes them. The biggest 49cc I can find is some 49cc in a 125cc frame stuff on ebay, which is still cushman sized.
    you want one of these:

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/2004/146_04_honda_dream_50r/

nod.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited April 20, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:

EXACTLY...only a version that doesn't cost more than a Honda Shadow VLX.

(now that we've got a few students on here, we really need a smiley of a guy holding his pocket liners showing he has no money).
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2006
    Zac, if you can open up that wallet wider, I got THE car for you http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1988-BMW-M6_W0QQitemZ4632850481QQcategoryZ6131QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    I don't think it should go over 10k considering the non-stock spoiler and the scrapes on the front lip spoiler, not to mention non-original paint, but it looks like an otherwise nice car.
This discussion has been closed.