Options

SmugMug Feature Requests #5

Comments

• Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2006
    Make it so that a mass email to all SM users is sent when changes are made to smugmug that may cause problems with customizations such as new css, new look, bug fixes, etc.

I'm really starting to dislike logging in and then finding changes that I didn't expect to be there. umph.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    mpmcleodmpmcleod Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2006
    Simon King wrote:
    At present I can only place files to upload to ONE folder on my SM site

This means that if I have say 6 different shots to put in EACH of the folders on my site I have to wait by the comp while 6 upload to folder no1, then still be there to place the next 6 shots into folder no2 etc

It would be great if I could place multiple shots into multiple folders and the uploader would queue them so I didn't have to be by the comp all the time, as it is a very slow process ( from the UK) - only uploading about one pic per the amount of time it has taken me to type (and edit;-)) - this (in fact it is 10 mins now and the first pic is still uploading, whether my ISP's fault or not the slowness would be hugely mitigated by an uploader that would queue the shots, letting me walk away for a few hours while it did the uploading in sequence - it doesn't have to try to do them all in one go otherwise when some fail ( as they so often do) it would be nightmare trying to reorganise them, whereas if it's sequential then you can just see where it got up to with COMPLETE uploads and restart it from there (it's on pic no 2 now:-)

Good idea?
    Possible?
    A solution on your end would be to open multiple browser windows. You can use each window to upload to a different gallery. I do this at times.
    -- Mike

smugmug nickname: mpmcleod
    http://www.michaelmcleod.com/
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2006
    Confused customers, lousy printed images
    The exact same issue has happened to me twice in the last two weeks and it has resulted in friends/family ending up with lousy prints and in me having to do a bunch of tech support to get things straightened out. I'll tell the two stories and then make some suggestions for how the problems could be avoided.

Background: I take lots of pictures at school events or kids sporting events. I post them on my Smugmug site for parents, kids and family, usually password protected so that parents aren't worried about their kids pictures being available to everyone. I enable originals and I tell the parents that they can either order prints right from the web-site or they can download the originals and add them to their own digital albums or make prints themselves. This is not a money making endeavor for me. I do it as a hobby because I enjoy it and, while I'm taking pictures of my own kids, I might as well capture others and share the results. I get tons of thanks from the other parents which is probably what keeps me doing this. Smugmug is generally a great vehicle for sharing with the parents.

Example #1: The school was having a fund raiser walk-a-thon. One of the parents organizing the 6th grade yearbook asked if I could take a bunch of pictures of the 6th graders at the walk-a-thon so they could use some of the pictures in the yearbook. I said sure. I took a bunch of pictures and after identifying the keepers, I uploaded them to a password protected gallery for the yearbook folks to look at with originals enabled so they could grab electronic versions of the ones they wanted for use in the yearbook.

About 3 days later I get a frantic email from one of the parents helping with the yearbook. They explained that the images I had taken all came out looking horrible. I was really bummed. I looked through the gallery again to see if I could figure out what happened. I noticed a few that weren't quite as sharp as I wanted, but I wasn't really sure if that was it. After several more emails, they said the images printed all blotchy and with big jaggies. That was my clue that they probably weren't working with the originals. They have probably grabbed some of the low resolution web images. I explained this theory and suggested that they try again, this time getting the images with the "Save Photo" link under the picture. A few days later, I heard that everything was working fine now.

Example #2: I get a phone call at home from the grandfather of one of my daughter's friends. He has seen my softball and soccer pictures of his granddaughter and he wants to get some prints. He doesn't own a real computer and has never bought anything online in his life. He does email via a webtv account that his son gave him. Somehow, he gets an idea that if he can get the images from the web onto a CD, he can take them to Longs and get prints made (his local Longs is even having a special on print sfor the month of June). So, he asks one of his more savvy web friends if they can grab the images from the Smugmug side and put them on a CD. They do that for him. I don't even know this man yet so I'm not involved. He takes this CD to Longs and when they look at him they tell him that these won't make good prints, they'll be all pixelated and blotchy. Guess what, his friends have grabbed web-sized images and put them on the CD - they didn't use the Save Photo link either. No wonder they won't print well. The grandfather sends an email to Smugmug asking why this didn't work. I have no idea if he described the problem very well, but he says that he never got an answer. I think he said he sent the email on Monday and as of Wednesday evening, he hadn't heard back yet.

Still trying to figure this out because he's dying to get prints of his granddaughter, he realized he has my name from an email forwarded to him by his son and he gets my phone number from information and calls me to ask how to solve this problem. After a strange introduction on the phone where I finally understand who he is and what he's trying to do, I volunteer to send him a CD with the images on it (after I confirm he is actually the grandfather) so he can take them to his local Longs. I throught briefly about ordering the images from Smugmug and having them sent to him, but that would involve him paying me for them and I'd have to get in the middle of what kind of prints he wants - way more complication than it seems wise to sign up for.

Summary: When people want to make their own prints, they are not understanding how to get the high resolution originals. The UI is apparently not obvious enough so people are just grabbing the images they see on screen. I should add that in both cases, my email announcing the images and giving them the URL where they are located and the password contains a standard blurb I include about using the "save photo" link if they want to make their own prints. But, it goes in one ear and out the other apparently because when they get to the actual site, they don't remember what the email said and the "save photo" link is pretty darn small and easy to miss. It's not hard to use once I point it out to people, but they aren't seeing it on their own.

Possible Suggestions:
    One possible suggestion is to make the Save Photo link be an actual button (one of the new nicely styled buttons). It shouldn't really be a link because it doesn't take you somewhere, it's a command. And, styling it like a button could really help it stand out. To remind everyone here's what we have today. That save photo link is pretty darn small and is buried among a bunch of other small text. My viewers are having problems with it. I'd sure like to see it improved. Last time I looked, it didn't have it's own CSS tags so it would take some JavaScript and CSS in order to customize the styling. I may have to resort to that, but I'm sure that Smugmug could do better than I by just fixing the actual HTML design and I expect that if my viewers are having this problem, others must be too.

74153102-O.jpg
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    {sinp}

Possible Suggestions: [/B]One possible suggestion is to make the Save Photo link be an actual button (one of the new nicely styled buttons). It shouldn't really be a link because it doesn't take you somewhere, it's a command. And, styling it like a button could really help it stand out. To remind everyone here's what we have today. That save photo link is pretty darn small and is buried among a bunch of other small text. My viewers are having problems with it. I'd sure like to see it improved. Last time I looked, it didn't have it's own CSS tags so it would take some JavaScript and CSS in order to customize the styling. I may have to resort to that, but I'm sure that Smugmug could do better than I by just fixing the actual HTML design and I expect that if my viewers are having this problem, others must be too.

Yes, I have the same concern. I spent about 45 minutes on the phone with my mother-in-law trying to explain to her how to download original size photos.

Here is a suggestion.
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=35416

Works in FF but haven't gotten the RegExp working in IE yet. If anyone out there would care to give a hand I would appreciate it.

http://mpmcleod.smugmug.com/gallery/1470992
    -- Mike

• Options
    edited June 8, 2006
    Let's see if we can get Smugmug to improve it
    mpmcleod wrote:
    Yes, I have the same concern. I spent about 45 minutes on the phone with my mother-in-law trying to explain to her how to download original size photos.

Here is a suggestion.
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=35416

Works in FF but haven't gotten the RegExp working in IE yet. If anyone out there would care to give a hand I would appreciate it.

http://mpmcleod.smugmug.com/gallery/1470992

I saw the thread with the JavaScript and CSS suggestion to make this bigger. I might have to resort to that (I have both JS and CSS in my site already so I'm perfectly fine with doing that), but I thought I'd first ask Smugmug to fix it for everyone since I don't think my viewers are the only ones having the problem. I'm not glad your mother-in-law is having the same problem, but I'm glad that others are seeing the same issue so maybe we can rally some support for getting it improved.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    I saw the thread with the JavaScript and CSS suggestion to make this bigger. I might have to resort to that (I have both JS and CSS in my site already so I'm perfectly fine with doing that), but I thought I'd first ask Smugmug to fix it for everyone since I don't think my viewers are the only ones having the problem. I'm not glad your mother-in-law is having the same problem, but I'm glad that others are seeing the same issue so maybe we can rally some support for getting it improved.

I agree. Clear instructions to download a full-size photo and an easy to find link/ button would be best. Maybe in the next release?

I requested that SM wrap the save photo link in a div (or span) with its own unique id. This wouldn't break any current software, CSS or javascript. It would allow simple CSS to make the save photo display any way we want without having to resort to nasty javascript.
    -- Mike

• Options
    edited June 8, 2006
    One idea...
    mpmcleod wrote:
    I agree. Clear instructions to download a full-size photo and an easy to find link/ button would be best. Maybe in the next release?

I requested that SM wrap the save photo link in a div (or span) with its own unique id. This wouldn't break any current software, CSS or javascript. It would allow simple CSS to make the save photo display any way we want without having to resort to nasty javascript.

One idea would be to use one of the newly styled buttons like this instead of the mostly invisible save photo link:

74166913-O.jpg
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2006
    mpmcleod wrote:
    A solution on your end would be to open multiple browser windows. You can use each window to upload to a different gallery. I do this at times.

No it wouldn't because I like using the stand alone updater (for the Mac) and it doesn't have the option of multiple windows ( that I can find)ne_nau.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    I'll tell the two stories and then make some suggestions for how the problems could be avoided.
    Possible Suggestions: [/B]One possible suggestion is to make the Save Photo link be an actual button (one of the new nicely styled buttons). It shouldn't really be a link because it doesn't take you somewhere, it's a command. And, styling it like a button could really help it stand out. To remind everyone here's what we have today. That save photo link is pretty darn small and is buried among a bunch of other small text. My viewers are having problems with it. I'd sure like to see it improved. Last time I looked, it didn't have it's own CSS tags so it would take some JavaScript and CSS in order to customize the styling. I may have to resort to that, but I'm sure that Smugmug could do better than I by just fixing the actual HTML design and I expect that if my viewers are having this problem, others must be too.

Thanks for the feature request, John.
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2006
    mpmcleod wrote:

We have a very prominent help page, linked from the sidebar section on "Printing" > On Your Computer:

http://www.smugmug.com/help/digital-photo-printing
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    We have a very prominent help page, linked from the sidebar section on "Printing" > On Your Computer:

http://www.smugmug.com/help/digital-photo-printing

This is a good page. I agree that most people after reading this page will likely know what they are supposed to do. But a user who is not computer savy will have to first find the help button, the decipher what it is he/ she really wants to do. I don't think any of the top-level choices provide obvious clues on where to look for help.

I like the title of the page "how to download photos" but then the information is buried under printing. These users don't want to print them, and certainly not on their own computer, they want to download them. Maybe adding a top-level link "Downloading Photos" to this help page would be useful?

The second problem, finding the save photo link, I have tried to address with my CSS/ JS hacks but would like a cleaner solution. Depending on the theme the link is typically in small type buried under the photo, run together with other information.

This is where the help page itself could use one small improvement. I think a screen shot of the page itself with the save photo circled in red would show people exactly where the link was located. This is something else that I had a hard time conveying to my mother-in-law.
    -- Mike

• Options
    edited June 8, 2006
    mpmcleod wrote:
    This is a good page. I agree that most people after reading this page will likely know what they are supposed to do. But a user who is not computer savy will have to first find the help button, the decipher what it is he/ she really wants to do. I don't think any of the top-level choices provide obvious clues on where to look for help.

I like the title of the page "how to download photos" but then the information is buried under printing. These users don't want to print them, and certainly not on their own computer, they want to download them. Maybe adding a top-level link "Downloading Photos" to this help page would be useful?

The second problem, finding the save photo link, I have tried to address with my CSS/ JS hacks but would like a cleaner solution. Depending on the theme the link is typically in small type buried under the photo, run together with other information.

This is where the help page itself could use one small improvement. I think a screen shot of the page itself with the save photo circled in red would show people exactly where the link was located. This is something else that I had a hard time conveying to my mother-in-law.

Thank you, we'll see what can be done.
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2006
    Click On Images To Open Gallery
    I have had feedback from the family and friends that I have got to look at my galleries that trhey didnt realise you had to click on the image to open the gallery after the homepage, they thought that was it!

i.e. They understoofd that they had to click on the homepage pics to open the galleries because the galleries are all named as such, but where that then takes you to several pics under e.g. 'Travel' - they didn't understand that there was more pics than the two there i.e. the gallery had to be opened still another step by clicking on one of the pics

I KNOW it's obvious to you and me but it just isnt to those wheo arent that computer savvy (not amongst my friends and fami;ly anyway!)

SO I put ''Click on the image to open the gallery" in the title, BUT that title is the SAME ONE as is there when the gallery is actually open, SO they get confused all over again

Is it possible to have different titles for the individual galleries under a category than the one on the actuall OPEN gallery heading?

PLEASE:-)
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2006
    Simon King wrote:
    I have had feedback from the family and friends that I have got to look at my galleries that trhey didnt realise you had to click on the image to open the gallery after the homepage, they thought that was it!

i.e. They understoofd that they had to click on the homepage pics to open the galleries because the galleries are all named as such, but where that then takes you to several pics under e.g. 'Travel' - they didn't understand that there was more pics than the two there i.e. the gallery had to be opened still another step by clicking on one of the pics

I KNOW it's obvious to you and me but it just isnt to those wheo arent that computer savvy (not amongst my friends and fami;ly anyway!)

SO I put ''Click on the image to open the gallery" in the title, BUT that title is the SAME ONE as is there when the gallery is actually open, SO they get confused all over again

Is it possible to have different titles for the individual galleries under a category than the one on the actuall OPEN gallery heading?

PLEASE:-)
    Can you provide examples of what you'd like?
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Can you provide examples of what you'd like?

here: http://digital-finger.smugmug.com/Landscapes
    I have put the message

wheras when you click and open that gallery the same message is still there:
    http://digital-finger.smugmug.com/gallery/1310428

-but I don't want it in both places!:-)

Does that make sense?
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2006
    Unique tags for each page level
    What I would like (maybe already there) is to have SM provide unique tags on each page level. This would be hidden from the user but would be useful for Javascript and CSS to determine what level is being browsed.

Maybe something like

etc.

This line would be at the same position on every page.

If this was done than I could use JS to determine what level the user is viewing and display messages appropriate to that level. Now I look for a "save photo" link (I allow all originals to be downloaded) to determine that I am in a gallery.

Maybe there is a better way to determine what level the user is currently at?

other thoughts?

Thanks!
    -- Mike

• Options
    athosathos Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2006
    a CONCEPTUAL category for galleries.

hopin to find more conceptual artists on here similar to deviantart.
    www.simplyathos.com

Gear
    *Canon 40D: 17-55IS - 70-300IS - 100mm Macro - Sigma 10-20EX
    *Imagination
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 8, 2006
    mpmcleod wrote:
    What I would like (maybe already there) is to have SM provide unique tags on each page level. This would be hidden from the user but would be useful for Javascript and CSS to determine what level is being browsed.

Maybe something like
    <div class="level" id="homepage"></div>
    <div class="level" id="category"></div>
    <div class="level" id="subcategory"></div>
    <div class="level" id="gallery"></div>
    etc.

This line would be at the same position on every page.

If this was done than I could use JS to determine what level the user is viewing and display messages appropriate to that level. Now I look for a "save photo" link (I allow all originals to be downloaded) to determine that I am in a gallery.

Maybe there is a better way to determine what level the user is currently at?

other thoughts?

Thanks!
    it's already there as a class on the body tag. been there for a long while actually.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    it's already there as a class on the body tag. been there for a long while actually.

sweet. I figured it was somewhere.
    Thanks for letting me know where to look.
    clap.gif
    -- Mike

• Options
    edited June 8, 2006
    Viewer help vs. Site Owner's help
    Regarding some of the other comments on the help.

One idea is to have different help pages for Viewers (people browsing the site) and the site owners. It could easily change based on login status.

People viewing photos don't need to know how to upload, create galleries, or customize the site, set prices, figure profit, etc. They do need to know how to view the photos, place an order, contact a person for help, download photos, etc.

Certainly there are topics for both like viewing and croping but in general I think there are two separate audiences so it might be appropriate to have two different help pages.

I am not suggesting that you block non-users from seeing the help pages (after all that is one of the reasons I joined) but the main help page they would see by default would be one targeted towards them.

Thoughts?
    -- Mike

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2006
    mpmcleod wrote:
    One idea is to have different help pages for Viewers (people browsing the site) and the site owners. It could easily change based on login status.

People viewing photos don't need to know how to upload, create galleries, or customize the site, set prices, figure profit, etc. They do need to know how to view the photos, place an order, contact a person for help, download photos, etc.
    I agree that this would make the help section a lot shorter and more useable for visitors. thumb.gif

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2006
    Additional Photo Timeline Options
    Khaos' Linked Instances post got me to thinking about some possible improvements to the Timeline feature.

1. Clearer titling of the bread crumbs of the results page, i.e.,

replace "date" in "acctname > date > 2006-05-20 to 2006-06-4" with "date-taken" and "date-uploaded" as appropriate

2. Allow "date taken" and "date uploaded" to be selected via the URL, e.g.,

*http://acctname.smugmug.com/datetaken/2006-05-20/2006-06-4

3. Allow a last n-days parameter to be passed via the URL to show all pictures uploaded within the last n-days, e.g., for last seven days

http://acctname.smugmug.com/dateuploaded/7d

That is unless there is already a feature that does this (if so, please go to linked post above and let Khaos know!). :D
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Please put your feature requests in this thread.

Occasionally we will move a thread, or posts from a thread, to here, for the sake of having everything in one place. Thanks in advance for your input and telling us like it is!

Here are the prior two FR Threads, for reference:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=23482
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=1349

Rather than a feature request, its more a suggestion.
    Smugmug has three options.
    1. Standard
    2. Pro
    3. Professional.

Now as you upgrade you get higher bandwidth. And more features. So if I want more features I would upgrade from standard to pro, ie custom site etc.,
    I will also get more bandwidth. Now I, and I am sure many other users hardly use any bandwidth. I mean using something like 1G/month max, and most of it in uploads. For low users like us, the jump from standard to pro is big. So wouldnt it make sense to create another category, somewhere in between Standard and pro, where your bandwidth is limited, but you get more customization options. This could be priced lower than pro and higher than standard, and it would be for low usage galleries who just want their sites to look better.
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2006
    tsk1979 wrote:
    Rather than a feature request, its more a suggestion.
    Smugmug has three options.
    1. Standard
    2. Pro
    3. Professional.

Now as you upgrade you get higher bandwidth. And more features. So if I want more features I would upgrade from standard to pro, ie custom site etc.,
    I will also get more bandwidth. Now I, and I am sure many other users hardly use any bandwidth. I mean using something like 1G/month max, and most of it in uploads. For low users like us, the jump from standard to pro is big. So wouldnt it make sense to create another category, somewhere in between Standard and pro, where your bandwidth is limited, but you get more customization options. This could be priced lower than pro and higher than standard, and it would be for low usage galleries who just want their sites to look better.

Hi, we have that, it's called Power. That's $59.95 per year. You can do all the customization that pro accounts can do. Is this what you are after? :D
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, we have that, it's called Power. That's $59.95 per year. You can do all the customization that pro accounts can do. Is this what you are after? :D
    actually something below that. Without videos and added bw. Something like standard+ :D
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2006
    tsk1979 wrote:
    actually something below that. Without videos and added bw. Something like standard+ :D

Maybe they could just throw in free customization to every standard user to make up for this stats problem? :D

Don't have to allow video or increased BW.
    -- Mike

• Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 11, 2006
    mpmcleod wrote:
    Maybe they could just throw in free customization to every standard user to make up for this stats problem? :D
    headscratch.gif umm I don't get it. What stats problem ? Do you mean the fact that everyone has unlimited bandwidth right now cuz stats are turn off ?
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2006
    mpmcleod wrote:

Don't have to allow video or increased BW.

That should be wonderful :D
    But I dont think thats happening anytime soon
  • Options
    C_lawgikC_lawgik Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2006
    Another thing that would be cool is deeper gallery control. In free programs such as "gallery" and even photobucket you an create infinite sub galleries such as

paintball>NPPL>Tampa>2006>Teams>Excessive>sunday>action

exagerrated alot but do you get my point?
    http://wiki.shahine.com/default.aspx/MyWiki.SendToSmugMug
    Really good upload program for smugmug^^^

This discussion has been closed.