Options

SmugMug Feature Requests #5

Comments

• Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    One reason you might here complaints is from anyone on a Mac...we have nothing close to Star*Explorer...
    t based python thingi!

couldnt agree more! We have to use Java based uploading. But I found someting which fixes some of the issues, sm_tool.py
  • Options
    NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2006
    Photo Rotate - Use EXIF
    Did this request never make it here into the Feature Requests thread?
    There was another thread which lamented the fact that SmugMug doesn't auto-rotate photos according to info stored in the EXIF data, like Photoshop does. Others mentioned that their workflow included tools that did lossless rotate but may or may not update the EXIF data, which would cause a double-rotation if it were automatic in SmugMug.

So!~ I proposed that the Rotate Photos tool in SmugMug be augmented to include a "quick" or "auto" select that would pick all photos based on the rotation stored in the EXIF. Then choose Left, Right, etc. as usual, and rotate away.

I just went through this with 300 photos I had uploaded, but I had to hand select the ones that should vertically oriented and rotate Left. Of course, I missed a few, and had to go back several times, as I found them.

Thanks! thumb.gif
  • Options
    leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2006
    Haven't given suggestion in awhile -- but here's some I've been wishing for.

1. Ability to track what sites are linking to individual photos. Among other things, this would allow me to check before I delete a photo that I'm not referring to it in a forum post.

2. Remove originals. I'm on a "pro" account and have unlimited space. Still, I'd be willing to help you save space by removing originals -- or opting to have you compress them -- for photos that aren't going to be printed anymore.

3. The ability to have a photo appear in more than one gallery. I'd like to have a favorites or best of -- but I don't want to reupload the photos, and I don't want to remove them from their current gallery.

4. Named pricing schemas. I'd like to just be able to create a pricing schema -- give it a name -- then apply it as desired.

5. Search by camera model, lens, focal range -- any of the exif data

6. The critique view -- have the "share" links already displayed. Love the critique view, btw.

7. Have the exif display on the same page with a refresh, rather than a pop up window -- and to have that be "sticky" -- keep displaying exif until it's turned off (like pbase).

8. Ability to upload a screen sized photo -- then be notified if a print order comes -- and then I upload the real photo. Would save you guys a lot of space I'd imagine.

Well, that's enough for now.

Lee
  • Options
    FAU4UFAU4U Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited May 16, 2006
    Several Suggestions for Smugmug
    Suggestion #1: I would like to see the statistics page in an optional tabular format without the graphs showing each gallery, and the various sizes viewed all showing on one line, then the next line, the next gallery... with totals at the bottom.

Suggestion #2: Would like to see total hits optionally shown on the front page for all galleries within a category, and showing for gallery by gallery.
    Would like to see a light or signal on the front page, giving notice that images were purchased without having to login and go through the menues.

Suggestion #3: My wife received a Mother's Day gift which was a 20 page album Book generated by another service. Sure would love to see this available to my customers at Suugmug. Also how about pictures on coolie cup or thin cloth/foam can wraps.

Thanks again for a terrific service. JimWilson
  • Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2006
    FAU4U wrote:
    Suggestion #3: My wife received a Mother's Day gift which was a 20 page album Book generated by another service. Sure would love to see this available to my customers at Suugmug.

i second this opinionthumb.gif maybe we can talk EZprints into something like this?
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2006
    Other than prints, the only other photo products I have ever purchased were Snap books, Photo books, and Photo mugs with multiple pictures... unfortunately none of these products are offered through smugmug yet...

Photo Mugs (with Multiple Pictures)
    Sony's Imagestation has really cool options for Photo Mugs multiple layouts, very cool.

Snap books and Photo books
    I originally started doing a book at Imagestation, but the "builder" was frustrating and I gave up. Shutterfly's photo book "builder" was solid, the Leather bound Photo book of my wedding came out awesome. (and with 20% off for Mothers day, and free shipping special, I got a 36 page book for $43!)

I'd like to be able to get this stuff through smugmug, so I don't have to upload pics elsewhere to do my projects.
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited May 16, 2006
    EZ Prints makes really great photo books with a quality we think is better than we've found anywhere else. Unfortunately, building an interface to them is so hard few of their partners offers them yet, incuding us. But they are greatly simplifying the interface and we're taking a close look at it.

We'd love to offer them, cards, calendars, etc., it's just a lot of engineering.
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited May 16, 2006
    smugbug wrote:
    I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, but could we get a better way to upload photos to Smugmug?

Windows Drag and Drop is the fastest, but has an arbitrary 100MB upload limit, plus it requires you to use IE.

The Universal Java Uploader doesn't have an upload limit, but it is SLOW AS HELL, even with a fast connection (the Windows/IE uploader is 10 times faster). Plus, it is ridiculously unreliable (1 out of 5 uploads, it will stall, or random files will not be uploaded).

I've tried some Smugmug uploading programs, but those are also slow and unreliable, from my limited usage.

It's nice that Smugmug keeps adding new and cool features to the site, but their priority really should be improving the basic thigns, like uploading photos.
    Okay, so we put more work into the Universal Drag & Drop and made it the recommended uploader. Here's a screen shot of the new uploader choice page:

69995072-L.jpg

The Universal uploader really shouldn't be slow. We have seen remote cases where security software, Java issues, or connection problems can confound it, but not often.

For those cases, Send to SmugMug seems to solve 99% of them if you have Windows XP.

Also, Nikolai's Star Explorer gets rave reviews from advanced users.

We've been testing Mac Uploader 2.0 intensely this week and hold your breath, but it's looking good. I've only been saying that for a year... :cry
  • Options
    pmalandpmaland Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited May 17, 2006
    My request again
    Seems to have been lost. It's regarding the Control Panel. There are a number of dead ends with no link back to the main Control Panel page (including the new Upload Log). Since the initial link into the Control Panel is a form POST (for no reason, I might add), if I click the back button I get the IE error:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Warning: Page has Expired [/FONT]
    The page you requested was created using information you submitted in a form. This page is no longer available. As a security precaution, Internet Explorer does not automatically resubmit your information for you.

To resubmit your information and view this Web page, click the Refresh button.

I can get to the control panel by simply typing in the URL:

http://maland.smugmug.com/homepage/controlpanel.mg

Now the back button, as well as the Control Panel, works fine. It's a small thing I know, but from a UI standpoint, very annoying, especially since it's pointless and simple to fix. Heck, even just changing the form method to GET would fix it. Thanks for listening.

- Phil
  • Options
    mdraughnmdraughn Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited May 17, 2006
    (First of all, the new custom pixel render targeting is awesome. This will be great for my blog. I haven't done speed tests, but if it turns out to be slow, I'm hoping you will eventually allow us to add custom sizes to the preprocessing step.)

Add me to the list of people who would like better copying/sharing of photos between galleries. The motivation for this is that I want to be able to prepare sample galleries of my work by picking and choosing relevant photos from my existing galleries. Right now I either have to upload photos to each gallery or use "Make Second Copy" on each photo and then "Move Photos" and select all the duplicates to move to another gallery. Here are some features that would help, in increasing order of fanciness:

1. "Copy Photos" that works like "Move Photos" but ends with a copy of the photo in both galleries.

2. Variations to support copying, linking into two galleries, or linking with copy-on-modify (may be more of an efficiency issue for you than a feature for me).

3. Virtual galleries or the ability to work on photos in multiple galleries at the same time. The photo organizing program Thumbs Plus has galleries like this.

3.a. Allow me to tag photos in multiple galleries with a simple flag and then go to a virtual gallery made up of my tagged photos. Now I can manipulate them or copy them all to a new directory all at once despite them being in multiple galleries.

3.b. Named virtual galleries that I can share just like regular galleries.

3.c. An Outlook-style icon bar that I can put galleries in and then visit other galleries and drag-and-drop photos into the galleries on the Outlook bar.

Thanks for your time,
    -- Mark
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2006
    pronvit wrote:
    russian tags work in flickr.com for example, try http://www.flickr.com/photos/pronvit/tags/%D0%BA%D1%83%D0%BA%D0%BB%D0%B0/ so problem isn't in URLs
    As pronvit has pointed out over here it is possible to include any kind of character in URLs. So I also would like to have support for keywords using any kind of language specific characters! (especially German umlauts :D )
    Currently they're just filtered out.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    pronvitpronvit Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited May 17, 2006
    very simple thing: please add option to invert sorting of images in timeline, so newest go first.
  • Options
    peestandinguppeestandingup Registered Users Posts: 489 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2006
    For the love of gawd, DEEPER BREADCRUMBS, or sub-categories within sub-categories & so on. Let ME decide just how deep I want my galleries to be. Thanks...Kerry
  • Options
    RhetTbullRhetTbull Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 18, 2006
    Feature request: Please support modern video formats
    Websites supporting video (such as YouTube) are sprouting like mushrooms. However SmugMug's video support stinks. I upgraded my account partly so I could share video only to find that you require me to convert the .mov files produced by my camera (and supported by every modern computer) to an archaic format using an elaborate multi-step process. PLEASE upgrade the SM video options! The reasons for only supporting mpeg1 given in the Help section are pretty lame. The choice of video format should be mine--if I want to require my users to use Quicktime that shouldn't be your call--after all, I am paying for the service. I could use one of the many video sharing sites instead but would rather stick with SmugMug.
  • Options
    leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2006
    On the copy/move front -- I don't want the "identity" of my photo changed when I move it to another gallery.

For example -- I post a gallery of 200 photos, I reference a few of them in forum posts. In time I want to remove the photos EXCEPT for the ones I've linked to. I want to move them into a "Forum Posts Photos" gallery -- and have all my links still work.

Lee
  • Options
    mdraughnmdraughn Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited May 18, 2006
    leebase wrote:
    On the copy/move front -- I don't want the "identity" of my photo changed when I move it to another gallery.

Lee

Yes. Although this leaves the question of whether a "copy" in another gallery should have the same identity (i.e. it's a link to the same image) or a different identity. I imagine some people will want it each way. Certainly if we have virtual galleries, the photo should have the same ID in every virtual gallery it appears in.
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2006
    Feature request related to smugMaps:
    1. give us an option to let smugMaps open in an separate window when clicking on an 'around the world'-pin
    2. I want a 'map this' button for keyword galleries, categories and sub-categories (including the google earth feeds)
    3. another search option in smugMaps that shows all pictures (either on user basis or global basis) of the area that the user currently has zoomed on (and only of this area)! thumb.gif Currently we can search for a city by typing in in the search, but that also shows a lot of false positives around other countries
    More to come, but that's it for now.
    Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2006
    I think you can do this today
    leebase wrote:

For example -- I post a gallery of 200 photos, I reference a few of them in forum posts. In time I want to remove the photos EXCEPT for the ones I've linked to. I want to move them into a "Forum Posts Photos" gallery -- and have all my links still work.

Lee

Do you realize that when you move a photo from one gallery to another, the URL to the actual image does NOT change. That's the way it works today. So, as long as your URLs are to the images themselves, not the gallery pages, I think you can already do exactly what you asked for today.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    Do you realize that when you move a photo from one gallery to another, the URL to the actual image does NOT change. That's the way it works today. So, as long as your URLs are to the images themselves, not the gallery pages, I think you can already do exactly what you asked for today.
    You're right, but even the gallery links should remain intact as smugmug redirects you then to the new gallery - that's how it used to work, but I haven't checked it recently.

Sebastian

EDIT: Just checked it and it works perfectly.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    psrpsr Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited May 20, 2006
    Update Announcements
    While having the ability to show the date that a gallery has been updated or created is nice, the font is so small that it really doesn't do much to draw attention to a new or updated gallery. How about adding the ability to add a graphic "NEW" or "UPDATED" graphic that can appear somewhere on the gallery photo? Or the ultimate in flexibilty - give me the graphic and the ability to program the text that appears within it!
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2006
    psr wrote:
    While having the ability to show the date that a gallery has been updated or created is nice, the font is so small that it really doesn't do much to draw attention to a new or updated gallery. How about adding the ability to add a graphic "NEW" or "UPDATED" graphic that can appear somewhere on the gallery photo? Or the ultimate in flexibilty - give me the graphic and the ability to program the text that appears within it!
    There are already several options to give one or a few galleries extra attention. The "feature gallery" is a pretty good one for starters. Also, you can use HTML in your albumdescription, so you can put a graphic, or different type of font/color/type of text in thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2006
    Improved UI suggestion for rearranging galleries
    I've been rearranging a whole bunch of slides in a whole bunch of galleries today. The ability to use drag/drop to directly manipulate the order of the images and to see the background Ajax processing is absolutely great. This is soo much faster and more efficient than it used to be.

I do, however, have one UI suggestion that would make it even better. Today, when you drag an image to a new location, it moves all the images around between where your image was and the new location and things really jump around. Yes, it shows you exactly how it will look, but it's extremely visually distracting and often requires some brain processing to figure out where to drop your image to get it to go where you want it (especially if you're trying to get to the beginning or end of a row).

So, my UI suggestion is to do the drag/drop UI just like the slide sorter in PowerPoint. In PowerPoint, when you grab a slide and drag it to a new location, none of the slides move around while you are dragging. Instead, you get a visual indicator between two existing slides that shows you where the slide you are dragging would go if you let the mouse go at that moment. It also lets you drag to the beginning or end of a row without having to use brain power to figure out where you need to position the mosue (like Smugmug requires). Try it in the PowerPoint slide sorter. I think you'll find it's a nicer way to do it than having the slides jump around like we have now.

Here's a specific example for where the PowerPoint way is easier. If you want to drag an image to be after one that's at the end of a row, in PowerPoint, you just drag it to be after the one at the end of the row. In Smugmug, you can't drag it after the one at the end of the row. If you try that, it will either go nowhere or go before the one at the end of the row. Instead, you have to use some brain cells to figure out that you can't put it after the one at the end of the row. You have to go down to the next row and put it at the beginning of the next row. It's logical and not impossible to figure out, but not nearly as intuitive as the PowerPoint way.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    Ken CCPKen CCP Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited May 22, 2006
    Can we adress watermarks before adding more features
    Smugmug has a terrific site.

However, the one important feature that I miss from my use of Gallery2 on my own webserver is proper watermarking options.

#1 I need to customize the watermark image, size, and location. Even if it is all about uploading a transparent GIF the size of the images to choose location etc.

#2 I would like to choose which galleries and images sizes in those galleries get a watermark or even assign one to each size. (Can wait for version 2 of the feature)

#3 Allow an external link watermark that is only applied to external links (version 3 of the feature)

Right now Not having any options almost made me cancel and at this time I have no interest in larger images since I won't use them until I can watermark them properly.

Thanks,
    Ken
  • Options
    gmtangmtan Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited May 22, 2006
    My wishlist:

1) Log-in passwords

Super-user password: allows users using this password to view both private and public galleries (almost the same as smugmug owner's password but with no administrative capabilities)

Viewing password: allows users using this password to view only public galleries (I think you are currently already providing this)

2) Include video in galleries for standard users ...
  • Options
    DnaDna Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2006
    Hi,

My vote for Watermark customisation.

I had a customer email me and ask if there was an option for bigger than 20x30 and that my prices were too high for such a small print !
    After a couple of emails beack and forth I worked out that she thought that the sizes were in cm not inches, and that the prices were in Australian Dollars.
    So my request is for international customisation. Can we have the option of dimensions on the prints, or even something like 20"x30" (51cmx76cm) ?
    And can we have US$ or better still the option of AU$ (or currency of choice.)

Thanks

Dna
  • Options
    baleebalee Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 23, 2006
    Bulk Gallery Settings: selection by category?
    I would like the ability to apply bulk gallery settings to sets of galleries specified by some parameter, e.g., "all the galleries in the Food category." Currently, as far as I know, if I want to apply settings to all the galleries in a given category, I have to manually click on every single gallery, which is tedious when there are dozens of galleries. Just the ability to do something like "select all galleries in category X" in bulk settings would be a welcome improvement.

Thanks,
    Brian
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    I've been rearranging a whole bunch of slides in a whole bunch of galleries today. The ability to use drag/drop to directly manipulate the order of the images and to see the background Ajax processing is absolutely great. This is soo much faster and more efficient than it used to be.

I do, however, have one UI suggestion that would make it even better. Today, when you drag an image to a new location, it moves all the images around between where your image was and the new location and things really jump around. Yes, it shows you exactly how it will look, but it's extremely visually distracting and often requires some brain processing to figure out where to drop your image to get it to go where you want it (especially if you're trying to get to the beginning or end of a row).

So, my UI suggestion is to do the drag/drop UI just like the slide sorter in PowerPoint. In PowerPoint, when you grab a slide and drag it to a new location, none of the slides move around while you are dragging. Instead, you get a visual indicator between two existing slides that shows you where the slide you are dragging would go if you let the mouse go at that moment. It also lets you drag to the beginning or end of a row without having to use brain power to figure out where you need to position the mosue (like Smugmug requires). Try it in the PowerPoint slide sorter. I think you'll find it's a nicer way to do it than having the slides jump around like we have now.

Here's a specific example for where the PowerPoint way is easier. If you want to drag an image to be after one that's at the end of a row, in PowerPoint, you just drag it to be after the one at the end of the row. In Smugmug, you can't drag it after the one at the end of the row. If you try that, it will either go nowhere or go before the one at the end of the row. Instead, you have to use some brain cells to figure out that you can't put it after the one at the end of the row. You have to go down to the next row and put it at the beginning of the next row. It's logical and not impossible to figure out, but not nearly as intuitive as the PowerPoint way.

Thanks John - I'll be sure that JT sees this.
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    I hate to be a pest, but as a web programmer every time I see another one of these I cringe, scream or worse. Please please please add some smarts to the forms.

1drink.gifWhew.

[end of rant]
  • Options
    mpmcleodmpmcleod Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    balee wrote:
    I would like the ability to apply bulk gallery settings to sets of galleries specified by some parameter, e.g., "all the galleries in the Food category." Currently, as far as I know, if I want to apply settings to all the galleries in a given category, I have to manually click on every single gallery, which is tedious when there are dozens of galleries. Just the ability to do something like "select all galleries in category X" in bulk settings would be a welcome improvement.

Thanks,
    Brian
    15524779-Ti.gif
    this would be a HUGE benefit for me!!

Great idea.
    -- Mike

smugmug nickname: mpmcleod
    http://www.michaelmcleod.com/
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2006
    Flat gallery listing causing problems
    I don't know if this is technically a bug report or a feature request, but a piece of the UI isn't working for me so I thought I'd report it. There are a few features which present a flat list of galleries for you to choose the appropriate target gallery (like you get when using the Move Image feature). The problem is that there's no indication of what category or subcategory each gallery is in. This creates two problems for me:

1) If you happen to have several galleries in different categories/sub-cagtegories with the same name (a person's name in my case), you can't tell which gallery is which in the list.

2) If you have as many galleries as I do, it can be quite painful to find the one you want. I'd like to see the categories/sub-categories in the list (ideally with some indentation).

Here's why this is a problem for me. I have 205 galleries to date and I just added 22 in the last few days so it's still growing. I shoot a lot of kid's sports and when I post the pictures at the end of the season for the parents, I create a sub-category with the team's name and year and I create a gallery for each player and then upload the pictures of each player to their own gallery. I use a naming convention for the galleries of first name, last initial. This makes it nice and easy for the parents to find the pictures of their own kid. Over the years, when the same child is on more than one team, I end up with the same named gallery in several different sub-categories. Thus, I have three different galleries all with the name KellyC because this girl has been on my daughter's soccer team and softball team.

In the pick list for moving images from one gallery to another, I can't tell which KellyC gallery is which.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
This discussion has been closed.