Options

SmugMug Feature Requests #5

Comments

• Options
    turtlebudturtlebud Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited March 27, 2006
    Copy photos to other galleries/albums
    I have a set of photos that are in a private gallery. I'd like to make some of them public (so they would live in a public & private gallery). The only way to do it right now it to re-upload into the public gallery. Would it be possible to have a function/button that allow you to "copy" selected pictures from one gallery to another? (or maybe just make a link in the new gallery for those particular pictures that you select so that you don't take up extra disk space).

It would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2006
    turtlebud wrote:
    I have a set of photos that are in a private gallery. I'd like to make some of them public (so they would live in a public & private gallery). The only way to do it right now it to re-upload into the public gallery. Would it be possible to have a function/button that allow you to "copy" selected pictures from one gallery to another? (or maybe just make a link in the new gallery for those particular pictures that you select so that you don't take up extra disk space).

It would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Well, you can copy to another gallery, but it's a two-step process. First "Make a 2nd Copy", the "Move".
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    DTMPhotosDTMPhotos Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited March 27, 2006
    Pro Sales Details Report is slow
    I was wondering if there's been any thought to breaking the Pro Sales report up similar to the Bandwidth report by timeframe? Maybe by calendar year or something like that?

Although I only have about 2300 sales, it can take minutes for the detailed report (not the spreadsheet which takes even longer) just so I can see what the latest sale is.

Perhaps to have the period only cover Jan-Dec of the current year with an option to look at prior year?

It seemed to get really bad after I went over $10k and perhaps 1500 sales?

I know I shouldn't complain but it just seems to get slower and slower...

Thanks!
    Derek
    dtmphotos.com
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2006
    DTMPhotos wrote:
    I was wondering if there's been any thought to breaking the Pro Sales report up similar to the Bandwidth report by timeframe? Maybe by calendar year or something like that?

Although I only have about 2300 sales, it can take minutes for the detailed report (not the spreadsheet which takes even longer) just so I can see what the latest sale is.

Perhaps to have the period only cover Jan-Dec of the current year with an option to look at prior year?

It seemed to get really bad after I went over $10k and perhaps 1500 sales?

I know I shouldn't complain but it just seems to get slower and slower...

Thanks!
    Derek
    dtmphotos.com

nod.gif this request has been made before. It's a good one. I'm working on seeing what can be done about it, thank you for telling us how important it is to you! No promises on if/when but I know how good this would be...
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2006
    DTMPhotos wrote:

You poor, poor guy :D
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    DTMPhotosDTMPhotos Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited March 28, 2006
    I knew that was gonna sound wrong...
    Mike Lane wrote:
    You poor, poor guy :D

I knew that was gonna sound wrong. I wanted to see if maybe there was a database tuning value that perhaps a certain number of sales or value was causing the slowdown. Trust me...Not meant to come across as braggin'. Besides...Don't confuse GROSS sales with NET profit...I've plowed about everything I have back into equipment this year...'Course....That was the whole point of going after paying gigs this year...My wife doesn't even blink when the UPS guy (who might as well come to dinner on a weekly basis) shows up with the lastest goody...The tax guy says I gotta show a profit every once in awhile...Geeez...He's no fun at all!

D.
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2006
    DTMPhotos wrote:
    I knew that was gonna sound wrong. I wanted to see if maybe there was a database tuning value that perhaps a certain number of sales or value was causing the slowdown. Trust me...Not meant to come across as braggin'. Besides...Don't confuse GROSS sales with NET profit...I've plowed about everything I have back into equipment this year...'Course....That was the whole point of going after paying gigs this year...My wife doesn't even blink when the UPS guy (who might as well come to dinner on a weekly basis) shows up with the lastest goody...The tax guy says I gotta show a profit every once in awhile...Geeez...He's no fun at all!

D.

I was only giving you a hard time :D
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    99Percent99Percent Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited March 28, 2006
    Shopping Cart in different languages?
    I am about to sign up for the Pro version of SmugMug.

I wonder if you guys are thinking of implementing a language feature for the shopping cart? It would be very cool if my Mexican customers could order their pictures without having to go through an english shopping cart and ordering process.

Thanks.
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2006
    99Percent wrote:
    I am about to sign up for the Pro version of SmugMug.

I wonder if you guys are thinking of implementing a language feature for the shopping cart? It would be very cool if my Mexican customers could order their pictures without having to go through an english shopping cart and ordering process.

Thanks.

Hi 99percent, wave.gif many thanks for giving us a try! We'll take the feature request - but I will say, that we don't have any such plans for the near term - however - you never know how that might change!

I thank you for joining us on Dgrin :D Here are our SmugMug Pro Resources:

http://blogs.smugmug.com/pros/2006/03/25/smugmug-pro-resources/
    Let me know if I can be of service to you.

wave.gif
  • Options
    garyjwoodgaryjwood Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    Improvements to keyword-tagging UI
    One thing I really like about flickr is their user interface for adding "tags". In particular, you can see and select from a list of your existing tags. As your list of tags grows, you get options to choose from "some" vs. "all".

I'd like to see something like this for adding keywords to an individual photo. Here's why:

(1) Consistency. I keep ending up with similar but different keywords, "landscape" and "landscapes", "minimalism" and "minimalist", etc.

(2) Accuracy. Sometimes I mis-type a keyword, other times I forget to put the quotes around multi-word tags.

(3) Efficiency. It's often faster to click than type.

Thanks,
    - Gary
    Galleries: http://garyjwood.smugmug.com
    Photo of the Day: http://blog.garyjwood.com
    Location-enabled and interactive!
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    garyjwood wrote:
    One thing I really like about flickr is their user interface for adding "tags". In particular, you can see and select from a list of your existing tags. As your list of tags grows, you get options to choose from "some" vs. "all".

I'd like to see something like this for adding keywords to an individual photo. Here's why:

(1) Consistency. I keep ending up with similar but different keywords, "landscape" and "landscapes", "minimalism" and "minimalist", etc.

(2) Accuracy. Sometimes I mis-type a keyword, other times I forget to put the quotes around multi-word tags.

(3) Efficiency. It's often faster to click than type.

Thanks,

Thanks Gary - great feature request.
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hi 99percent, wave.gif many thanks for giving us a try! We'll take the feature request - but I will say, that we don't have any such plans for the near term - however - you never know how that might change!
    If I were to submit a line by line translation to Spanish of all the text in the shopping cart and order process will you consider implementing it sooner at least?
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    99Percent wrote:
    If I were to submit a line by line translation to Spanish of all the text in the shopping cart and order process will you consider implementing it sooner at least?

wave.gif Hola Noventa y nueve :D

It's not just that - that's the easy part. It's demand, and other projects that are ahead of something like this.

I wish I had a better answer for you. I really do...
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    Support in Spanish too
    99Percent wrote:

Presumably Smugmug would also have to be able to support Spanish speaking customers for all the customer service things they are good at like credit card issues, print quality issues, damaged prints, shopping cart issues, etc... So, it probably involves more than just translating the cart.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    Presumably Smugmug would also have to be able to support Spanish speaking customers for all the customer service things they are good at like credit card issues, print quality issues, damaged prints, shopping cart issues, etc... So, it probably involves more than just translating the cart.
    That is a really good point.

I was about to suggest that I could translate the cart to the code level, maybe with the use of an API, but I hadn't even though of that possibility, which indeed would be troublesome to have to personally attend nonenglish speaking customers.

I am now then currently considering the Pro version (mostly because of the domain) and just manually accepting prints and accesories.
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2006
    Here's something I would like to see: in pro accounts, once you click on an order to see the details, it would be useful if it told you which mode of shipping was selected.
  • Options
    turtlebudturtlebud Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Well, you can copy to another gallery, but it's a two-step process. First "Make a 2nd Copy", the "Move".

David, thanks for the tip - I wasn't even aware of those options! That makes things a lot easier for me.

I guess the followup request would be either:
    a) to have an expert mode for making a second copy so that you can select multiple pictures and then make second copies of them all at once or
    b) have a expert copy & move function that does these two steps at once
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2006
    turtlebud wrote:
    David, thanks for the tip - I wasn't even aware of those options! That makes things a lot easier for me.

I guess the followup request would be either:
    a) to have an expert mode for making a second copy so that you can select multiple pictures and then make second copies of them all at once or
    b) have a expert copy & move function that does these two steps at once

Hi, since we allow unlimited storage, I don't see that this will happen anytime soon mwink.gif
  • Options
    ButterflySisButterflySis Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    Suggestion
    I really like using Smugmug for searching for travel destinations but find that I come across more 'family vacation' type pictures than good examples of the landscape. I'm not sure how to get around that but wonder if some sort of level indicator could be implemented....i.e. the Smugmug user would indicate beginner, amateur, advanced amateur, pro...or some other similar grouping. Then allow that answer to be used as part of the search function. Obviously it wouldn't be totally fool proof but could help narrow things down some.
  • Options
    JamokeJamoke Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2006
    Timeline
    To my knowledge the timeline only goes back to 2003... I have pictures that I took in 1999, 2000, 2001, and 2002 that all have the appropriate Exif Info, but don't show up in my timeline....
    Mine: Canon 20D, 50 f1.8 II, 28-105 II, 70-200 f2.8L, T 70-300 Macro, T 2X expander, 12-24 Sigma
    Hers: Sony SR10, (Soon Canon 5D MKII), 85 f1.8, 28-135 USM, Stroboframe, Manfrotto NeoTec
    Ours: Pair of 580 EX, Lensbaby, Studio Alien Bees, Son & TWO Daughters
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2006
    help narrow things down some.

I think this is a *great* idea.
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2006
    Jamoke wrote:
    To my knowledge the timeline only goes back to 2003... I have pictures that I took in 1999, 2000, 2001, and 2002 that all have the appropriate Exif Info, but don't show up in my timeline....

Can you set it to "date taken" vs Date uploaded? thumb.gif
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2006
    When selecting "delete category", there is a confirmation page saying "really delete ........ and it's photos?" The answer defaults to 'yes', not that is has caused me any problems (yet) but maybe it can default to 'no' as an extra safety-precaution?
  • Options
    JamokeJamoke Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Can you set it to "date taken" vs Date uploaded? thumb.gif

I always have it set to Date Taken - But today it works... So - Nevermind...
    Mine: Canon 20D, 50 f1.8 II, 28-105 II, 70-200 f2.8L, T 70-300 Macro, T 2X expander, 12-24 Sigma
    Hers: Sony SR10, (Soon Canon 5D MKII), 85 f1.8, 28-135 USM, Stroboframe, Manfrotto NeoTec
    Ours: Pair of 580 EX, Lensbaby, Studio Alien Bees, Son & TWO Daughters
  • Options
    ArtesubArtesub Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited April 2, 2006
    pro requests
    I'm a new pro user, and I'm aware that my requests have already been asked here and in other threads at one time or another, but I would like to voice my suggestion anyway, in the hopes that these could at least add to the "priority pile" (if this, to some extent, depends on how many users want/need the feature). My overall feeling, is that Smugmug does a great job with customization and support, but the "pro" account sometimes gives a false impression of "independence", when there are several things that unessessarily ties us back to smugmug and prevents us from truely branding our own look and feel. On the other hand, I understand that Smugmug provides great customer support and giving full independence to the pro user could risk SM's own credibility. My idea is that there could be more elements being implemented to giving a pro look (photographer-defined), without taking SMs control over billing and customer satisfaction on the printing end. Rather than switching providers this early in the game, I would like to at least have an idea if these (or related) features are truely being considered in the near feature, without risking SMs business development strategy as well, because other than these, SM does provide a great service:

1. Meta tag customization: A customized description of my site is very important for maintaining overall style and consistency with the site's theme. The way the site is described now, gives the impression it is smugmug, not me. Why not keep SM's appearance restricted to the ordering/billing area of my site rather than omnipresent? This has also been voiced here http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=230916&postcount=4

2. Branding or co-branding photographers' business/name and their own logo with E-Z prints: Important to keep the "pro consistency" mentioned above. Does not need to "eliminate" SM from appearing, but just sharing the credit and being more specific as to who is responsible for what. Specifically requested here:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=269304&postcount=25

3. Hiding the smugmug footer "powered by smugmug | portions © 2006 smugmug, inc.</SPAN></SPAN> " on home page: How can I remove it? I understand SM needs to advertise their service, but, again, I porpose keeping that to the shopping area only, where smugmug effectively is involved in the ordering / billing process, rather than in my gallery...

4 and 5: Image download purchase for licensing and custom watermarks. These topics have been covered very extensively already and I feel they have been sufficiently commented on and being carefully looked at...but are equally important

Sorry for the long post, I just feel like SM is the right place (potentially even for pros), so I also felt it was worth commenting in detail on the things SM could do to make the pro users even happier....

Andre
  • Options
    Dr WashboardDr Washboard Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 2, 2006
    Would like to create subcatagories of subcatagories
    It would be great if we were able to nest SEVERAL levels of subcatagories on Smugmug

I currently creat a subcatagory for photos of each trip that I post under the Travel main catagory.

I'd like to be able to then separate out the photos within each of these trip (eg people, landscapes, animals, or by date or by location) as a separate subcatagory. I can't find any method to do that, and woder whether it exists, or that functionality can be added to the site.

(I realize that I can create a new main catagory for each trip, but it's not as elegant)
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2006
    It would be great if we were able to nest SEVERAL levels of subcatagories on Smugmug

I currently creat a subcatagory for photos of each trip that I post under the Travel main catagory.

I'd like to be able to then separate out the photos within each of these trip (eg people, landscapes, animals, or by date or by location) as a separate subcatagory. I can't find any method to do that, and woder whether it exists, or that functionality can be added to the site.

(I realize that I can create a new main catagory for each trip, but it's not as elegant)

Have a look at how JenNYC does it:

http://jennyc.smugmug.com/gallery/1003113

bowdown.gifbowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2006
    Artesub wrote:
    I'm a new pro user, and I'm aware that my requests have already been asked here and in other threads at one time or another, but I would like to voice my suggestion anyway, in the hopes that these could at least add to the "priority pile" (if this, to some extent, depends on how many users want/need the feature). My overall feeling, is that Smugmug does a great job with customization and support, but the "pro" account sometimes gives a false impression of "independence", when there are several things that unessessarily ties us back to smugmug and prevents us from truely branding our own look and feel. On the other hand, I understand that Smugmug provides great customer support and giving full independence to the pro user could risk SM's own credibility. My idea is that there could be more elements being implemented to giving a pro look (photographer-defined), without taking SMs control over billing and customer satisfaction on the printing end. Rather than switching providers this early in the game, I would like to at least have an idea if these (or related) features are truely being considered in the near feature, without risking SMs business development strategy as well, because other than these, SM does provide a great service:

1. Meta tag customization: A customized description of my site is very important for maintaining overall style and consistency with the site's theme. The way the site is described now, gives the impression it is smugmug, not me. Why not keep SM's appearance restricted to the ordering/billing area of my site rather than omnipresent? This has also been voiced here http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=230916&postcount=4

This has been discussed many times on Dgrin. Trust me on this, you will gain MUCH higher search relavence with the tags the way they are now. That said, we're aware of this request by you, and others. No promises on if or when.

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=275493&postcount=39
    Artesub wrote:
    2. Branding or co-branding photographers' business/name and their own logo with E-Z prints: Important to keep the "pro consistency" mentioned above. Does not need to "eliminate" SM from appearing, but just sharing the credit and being more specific as to who is responsible for what. Specifically requested here:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=269304&postcount=25

Thanks for telling us how important this is. We know you want it. And we'll see what can be done about it.
    Artesub wrote:
    3. Hiding the smugmug footer "powered by smugmug | portions © 2006 smugmug, inc.</SPAN></SPAN> " on home page: How can I remove it? I understand SM needs to advertise their service, but, again, I porpose keeping that to the shopping area only, where smugmug effectively is involved in the ordering / billing process, rather than in my gallery...
    You can't remove this part of the footer. You can remove all the other stuff by switching to the mini-footer, which I see you've done! Oh BTW, I spent some time reviewing your photos - wonderful work!
    Artesub wrote:
    4 and 5: Image download purchase for licensing and custom watermarks. These topics have been covered very extensively already and I feel they have been sufficiently commented on and being carefully looked at...but are equally important

Sorry for the long post, I just feel like SM is the right place (potentially even for pros), so I also felt it was worth commenting in detail on the things SM could do to make the pro users even happier....

Andre

Dig downloads and custom watermarks are on our list.

Hang in there. And thanks for taking the time to tell us how important these are to you!
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2006
    Andy, remember how you e-mailed some event photogs about the whole thing where you upload the processed files after an order is made? I changed my mind, I like that now.
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2006
    I changed my mind, I like that now.

Now you tell me lol3.gif

We'll see what we can do about that!
This discussion has been closed.