Options

SmugMug Feature Requests #5

Comments

• Options
    PaulSpotPaulSpot Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited April 19, 2006
    tsk1979 wrote:
    Hi Andy,
    Smugmug has lots of uploaders by which I can upload pics from my home comp to smugmug. I have lots of pics on another server of mine. This is an internet hosting server so lots of bandwidth. Now to get all those pics on smugmug I would have to download the pics to my comp over my slow connection and then upload to smugmug. This is time consuming. If smugmug could have an uploader where I give a web address, for example
    http://www.example.com/pics/123.jpg it should be able to upload it to the web. Furthermore, I should be able to give http://www.example.com/pics/ so all the image files in that dir can be uploaded to smugmug. I think the second feature will require some effort but the first one seems really simple to implement IMHO. Can we see this in smugmug soon. This would also enable easy writing of hacks which can directly copy files from flicr/zoto etc., accounts to smugmug instead of first downloading pics on the home comp.
    Thanks for your time
    Tanveer

Hey yeah; I mean, I don't know if I'd want to manually type in all those addresses, my connection is fast enough to just download the pics and upload them to the right site, but a flickr import tool would probably be pretty beneficial to you guys.
    Of course, something tells me they're not going to grant you an API key to help steal customers ;)
    -Paul
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Tanveer,

We already have some hacks that do that - Flickr to Smugmug, Pbase to SmugMug both are in alpha stages by our hacker community. Take a look in the hacks forum:

http://www.dgrin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25

Perhaps one of our hackers wants to help you take this on?

I was looking at a more generalized option. For example I have a pic on some site. Some way to directly pull that pic to smugmug without first downloading it on my comp. Any plans of that? Some kind of uploader where I just enter the web address of the pic?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2006
    tsk1979 wrote:
    I was looking at a more generalized option. For example I have a pic on some site. Some way to directly pull that pic to smugmug without first downloading it on my comp. Any plans of that? Some kind of uploader where I just enter the web address of the pic?

Thanks for the feature request, tsk thumb.gif
  • Options
    BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2006
    Watermarking Please
    Please - improved/customizable watermarking. Too many losses.
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    mushymushy Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    One feature I'd really like to see for us standard smugmug users is a count of any pictures ordered for printing, as without knowing if people are printing or not there is no real way of telling if its worth upgrading the smugmug account to try and make money from the photo's.

Cheers
    May I take your picture?
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2006
    Bulk uploading in browser w/o Java?
    Smugmug has various browser based uploaders. The feature of Java based uploaders is that I can select multiple photos and click on add.
    Then there is another uploader which will work without Java. But to add each image you have to click "Browse" and select the image. Can that uploader be modified that I click browse and select multiple images or a folder and then click upload?
  • Options
    PaulSpotPaulSpot Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    Sort pictures reverse-chronological
    I almost forgot something I really want to do- I want to be able to sort pictures in reverse-order from the date range search.

This way, I can have a link to a "gallery" that is my most recent pictures (which I've already done) and have the most most recent ones first. Right now, the best I do is make a link that says "recent pictures" and have it show all pictures taken in the last X days, but they show the old ones first. Most ideal would be to say "show me the last 20 pictures, most recent first", because you would always get a consistent number of pictures instead of the variable number taken in the last X days.

Seems like the ordering, at least, wouldn't be super hard to add... I don't even care if it has to be done in a hacky way for this one.

Thanks for listening!
    -Paul
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    tsk1979 wrote:
    Smugmug has various browser based uploaders. The feature of Java based uploaders is that I can select multiple photos and click on add.
    Then there is another uploader which will work without Java. But to add each image you have to click "Browse" and select the image. Can that uploader be modified that I click browse and select multiple images or a folder and then click upload?

FYI, you can open the folder that contains the images you want to upload and then you can select those images and drag them to the java uploader. No need to click browse at all thumb.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    artieartie Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    Option request for setting prices
    I searched this forum and didn't find an answer to this:

Would it be too much trouble to add an option in the pro pricing screen to set prices based on aspect ratio? Specifically, it'd be nice if there were an easy way to zero out ratios that I don't want the user to print at.

In the Products dropdown, I envision options "Ratio matches:" and "Ratio does not match:" where an edit box appears allowing you to put in 1:1, 2:3, etc..

For example, if I have a photo that's at a 2:3 ratio, I'd like to zero out all print sizes that would require cropping the photo such as 5x5 and 8x10 and leave prices in place for sizes like 4x6, 8x12 and all others that match that ratio. I could then use the "does not match" or the "filled" option to add a markup to the remaining photos.

I realize there will still be some one-field-at-a-time editing to do in places, but this sure would give me a good head start (and limit the amount of thinking I have to do, which is becoming more and more difficult at my age :D).

Thanks,
    Rick
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2006
    artie wrote:
    I searched this forum and didn't find an answer to this:

Would it be too much trouble to add an option in the pro pricing screen to set prices based on aspect ratio? Specifically, it'd be nice if there were an easy way to zero out ratios that I don't want the user to print at.

In the Products dropdown, I envision options "Ratio matches:" and "Ratio does not match:" where an edit box appears allowing you to put in 1:1, 2:3, etc..

For example, if I have a photo that's at a 2:3 ratio, I'd like to zero out all print sizes that would require cropping the photo such as 5x5 and 8x10 and leave prices in place for sizes like 4x6, 8x12 and all others that match that ratio. I could then use the "does not match" or the "filled" option to add a markup to the remaining photos.

I realize there will still be some one-field-at-a-time editing to do in places, but this sure would give me a good head start (and limit the amount of thinking I have to do, which is becoming more and more difficult at my age :D).

Thanks,
    Rick

Thx for the feature request, Rick!
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    FYI, you can open the folder that contains the images you want to upload and then you can select those images and drag them to the java uploader. No need to click browse at all thumb.gif
    I think you misunderstood my question. I wanted this king of "many pics at once opening" from a NON JAVA based uploader :D.
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    tsk1979 wrote:
    I think you misunderstood my question. I wanted this king of "many pics at once opening" from a NON JAVA based uploader :D.

ne_nau.gif Well reading is hard :D
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    DougMunnDougMunn Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited April 21, 2006
    Pricing by Category and Subcategory
    I know it has been asked before but I'd really like to ask again.

You have pricing by Portfolio and pricing by album, however it would be REALLY NICE to get pricing by AT LEAST Category if not both Category and SubCategory (I'd prefer both).

If you check out our site, (http://jerrimunnphoto.smugmug.com) we use a lot of categories and subcategories to separate venues. Our pricing is also different between venues. All of our small horse show events have different pricing from large multi-day events. Those prices are different from fairs and other events like weddings.

I'd like to be able to have category pricing defaults that flow down through to the albums. That way, I can automatically create albums in particular categories or subcategories and have the pricing already set by default w/o having to upload a dummy picture and manually set the pricing for each album. The way we are covering our fairs this summer, a fair can have 20-30 albums in it. I dread having to manually set all of the pricing in albums.

If anything, program in the ability to set pricing on an album w/o having to load in a picture or to set pricing via the API. At least that way Nikolai could possibly add a pricing preset feature to Star*Explorer.

This and some other features that I have seen mentioned (coupons, etc) would make it worthwhile for me to sign up for a "PREMIUM PRO" service.

Doug
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2006
    DougMunn wrote:

You have pricing by Portfolio and pricing by album, however it would be REALLY NICE to get pricing by AT LEAST Category if not both Category and SubCategory (I'd prefer both).

If you check out our site, (http://jerrimunnphoto.smugmug.com) we use a lot of categories and subcategories to separate venues. Our pricing is also different between venues. All of our small horse show events have different pricing from large multi-day events. Those prices are different from fairs and other events like weddings.

I'd like to be able to have category pricing defaults that flow down through to the albums. That way, I can automatically create albums in particular categories or subcategories and have the pricing already set by default w/o having to upload a dummy picture and manually set the pricing for each album. The way we are covering our fairs this summer, a fair can have 20-30 albums in it. I dread having to manually set all of the pricing in albums.

If anything, program in the ability to set pricing on an album w/o having to load in a picture or to set pricing via the API. At least that way Nikolai could possibly add a pricing preset feature to Star*Explorer.

This and some other features that I have seen mentioned (coupons, etc) would make it worthwhile for me to sign up for a "PREMIUM PRO" service.

Doug
    Hi Doug, thanks for the very good suggestions. We really appreciate it!

Oh and wave.gif welcome to Dgrin!
  • Options
    snowballsnowball Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 23, 2006
    Auto-Rotate using EXIF orientation
    Can we add a feature to have smugmug automatically rotate pictures based on the EXIF orientation field?

This seems like a really useful feature, but I somehow just could not find out how to turn this on (if it already exists).
  • Options
    DougMunnDougMunn Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited April 24, 2006
    Thanks
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Doug, thanks for the very good suggestions. We really appreciate it!

Oh and wave.gif welcome to Dgrin!

I've been a member before but my old login quit working.

We love SmugMug.
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2006
    Rotation enhancement
    Currently we can rotate our images by 90 degrees or flip. If we could have a feature where I want to roate the image by 1 degree, 2 degree etc.,
    this would really help in fixing slanting images.
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2006
    tsk1979 wrote:
    Currently we can rotate our images by 90 degrees or flip. If we could have a feature where I want to roate the image by 1 degree, 2 degree etc.,
    this would really help in fixing slanting images.
    Just FWIW if you shoot in RAW, RawShooter (www.pixmantec.com) has this as part of the raw conversion, quite convenient.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2006
    DougMunn wrote:

Doug

I'm still holding out for the guys to script in my original filename under the thumbnail for individual image pricing. I dictate print size and resolution for all my uploads by naming them like so on my computer: "DSC_1244--20x30_200" So having that as a quick confirmation would be really useful!

I'll also request the one other thing I've been wishing for, but have not mentioned it in this official "feature request topic" yet: I'd like my control panel to have an option that allows me to choose whether new features debut set to on or off. Like when Smugmug debuted their CSS stuff and many complained about the green- it would have been super-easy for the tech guys to make a couple lines of CSS that changed all the green text back to normal, and just put it into everyone's CSS box automatically if they had a control panel switch set to "debut new features off". Or the "popular photo" feature, which has a simple on/off switch in each gallery's customization page. We should be able to dictate whether things like that debut as on or off. At least half a dozen new features have showed up as options on gallery customization, and most debuted as "on", but maybe some debuted as "off", I'm not sure... Some I liked, some I had to turn off.

-Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2006
    Price Templates Suggestion/Request
    Been meaning to request this for awhile now so here goes...

It would be AWESOME if price templates could be applied under the customize gallery options while setting up the gallery.

OR:

To make a price template I currently have to create a gallery (usually just one image), set the prices and save it. This price structure then can be applied to an entire gallery... however I've allready got tons of galleries and it's getting harder to keep them sorted exspecailly now with the new sort problem.

iloveyou.gif Wouldn't it be great if we could create 1 gallery with a bunch of images... each individual image would then be priced differently and each saved as a 'price image/gallery/catagory template'... meaning that one image (along with it's price structure/template could later be applied to images, galleries or catagories??? Would make life sooo much easier me thinks. Any thoughts anyone? Is this a possible do? :D
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • Options
    DennisStanleyDennisStanley Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 25, 2006
    Keyword Idea
    Let me preface this by saying that I have no doubt this has alread been suggested. Hopefully, I've just missed the already-enabled feature, but... here goes:

What I would like to see on Smug Mug is the ability to use Keywords (within a gallery, passworded or not) to filter the thumbnails in a gallery. As I see it, it would work similar to Excel data sorting. Each page would maintain two or three drop down menus that include all the keywords associated with the photos in that gallery. By selecting a keyword from the first drop down you would limit the displayed thumbnails to photos with that keyword. By selecting a second keyword, you would further limit it, and so forth.

This way, large galleries could quickly be filtered down to manageable numbers and the viewer could more quickly find photos they are looking for.

Thanks.
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2006
    Let me preface this by saying that I have no doubt this has alread been suggested. Hopefully, I've just missed the already-enabled feature, but... here goes:

What I would like to see on Smug Mug is the ability to use Keywords (within a gallery, passworded or not) to filter the thumbnails in a gallery. As I see it, it would work similar to Excel data sorting. Each page would maintain two or three drop down menus that include all the keywords associated with the photos in that gallery. By selecting a keyword from the first drop down you would limit the displayed thumbnails to photos with that keyword. By selecting a second keyword, you would further limit it, and so forth.

This way, large galleries could quickly be filtered down to manageable numbers and the viewer could more quickly find photos they are looking for.

Thanks.

Hi wave.gif welcome to Dgrin and thanks for the suggestion :D

have you tried nickname.smugmug.com/keyword and then viewing in smugmug style?

http://williams.smugmug.com/keyword/new%20york-nyc
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2006
    changing number of pics on one page
    I have a standard account. I see that suppose my gallery has 100 pics. They will be divided into pages(Smugmug view) with maybe 12 pics on one page.
    Is there a way to fine tune that. For example I want to see 5x5 pics on one page, or 5x10(50) pics on one page.
  • Options
    jerekjerek Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    Photo tools -> move photos -> choose an existing gallery
    Cheers.

Could it be possible that the gallery list, which is on the pulldown at "Photo tools -> move photos -> choose an existing gallery" could be in alphabetical order?

Would save some time searching the specific gallery. Can't see any logic right now how galleries are sorted, they seem unsorted.

-Jere
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2006
    jerek wrote:
    Cheers.

Could it be possible that the gallery list, which is on the pulldown at "Photo tools -> move photos -> choose an existing gallery" could be in alphabetical order?

Would save some time searching the specific gallery. Can't see any logic right now how galleries are sorted, they seem unsorted.

-Jere

It *is* odd, isn't it? One trick: with the dropdown open, if you were looking for "Switzerland Photos" you just have to keep tapping the "s" key until it's highlighted :D BIG timesaver!
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    I'm not sure if this has been requested before (I couldn't find it), but it would be really nice if the EXIF could be included in the scaled down pics (or at least the medium-sized pic). I'm using IEXIF from Opanda to view the EXIF as it provides far more details of the pic than Smugmug's EXIF viewer (providing, of course, that the owner saved the EXIF after editing). In order for IEXIF to work on Smugmug images, one has to download the original. It would be nice to see the EXIF details on the medium pic as most folks have this as the default viewing size in their galleries. Also, pics are often shown on other forums, and one does not want to show the original size in order to make the EXIF available.
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    It *is* odd, isn't it? One trick: with the dropdown open, if you were looking for "Switzerland Photos" you just have to keep tapping the "s" key until it's highlighted :D BIG timesaver!
    Cheers Andy,

Well yes, i know this trick. I just can't figure out why they aren't alphabetically sorted. Especially if SQL query is used, it takes about 5 sec to implement this (plus that 24 hours intense testing that everybody always does 1drink.gif).

Just an improvement thought. I think everything that can be sorted, should be sorted. Makes things easier, and it's mostly not a big task for developers either.

-Jere
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    jerek wrote:
    I think everything that can be sorted, should be sorted. Makes things easier, and it's mostly not a big task for developers either.

-Jere
    I second this request.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2006
    How many people actually use "negative"?
    I've been thinking... (runnn!!)

How many people actually use the "negative" tool in the color tools? I've used auto-adjust, I've used the warming filter, ("tanning salon"), I've used Sepia and B&W, but I've never ever used the negative tool, and now that I think of it, I've never even a negative image on smugmug that I know of...

Why not do away with it, and make it a COOLING filter instead? That would be SO much more useful!!! I can't think of a witty title for it though, sorry.

But seriously folks, consider my suggestion!

-Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2006
    Images sold- information on picture info (check the image attached)
    Now that i got the hang of this idea suggesting.. here comes another one:

Could it be possible to see photo sales at picture info when logged on? It would be extreamly useful to see how many pictures you have sold to others, and how many pictures you have bought yourself.

I am thinking (and i think few other people too?) about developing all my pictures at smugmug, and it would be very very useful, if smugmug could remember what i have ordered and when. Becose all the information is in the database, i think this shouldn't be too much of a strech? Check the pic to get the idea!

-Jere
This discussion has been closed.