Options

SmugMug Feature Requests #5

Comments

• Options
    georgesgeorges Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2006
    Please no -

I often log into to my account to show non-public photos to friends. I would not like them to see details of sales.

Thanks, gs
    http://georgesphotos.net
    jerek wrote:
    Now that i got the hang of this idea suggesting.. here comes another one:

Could it be possible to see photo sales at picture info when logged on? It would be extreamly useful to see how many pictures you have sold to others, and how many pictures you have bought yourself.

I am thinking (and i think few other people too?) about developing all my pictures at smugmug, and it would be very very useful, if smugmug could remember what i have ordered and when. Becose all the information is in the database, i think this shouldn't be too much of a strech? Check the pic to get the idea!

-Jere
    See you later, gs

• Options
    jerekjerek Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited April 28, 2006
    Ok i see Your point George. So maybe there could be a checkbox at Control Panel, where you can enable/disable this feature?
    georges wrote:
    Please no -

I often log into to my account to show non-public photos to friends. I would not like them to see details of sales.

Thanks, gs
  • Options
    RedhedRedhed Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited April 28, 2006
    I dunno if this has been said, but I think you should be able to see how many thumbs up's and thumbs down's each photo has gotten.
  • Options
    auslanderauslander Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited April 28, 2006
    Unlimited-depth category trees
    I'd like to see the ability to build category trees of arbitrary depth.

What I mean is something more like a filesystem, so I can have something like this:

/
    /travel
    /travel/brazil
    /travel/brazil/rio

etc. The way it's built currently, you have categories and sub-categories. I'd like to arrange things like a filesystem and put pictures into "folders" whose name is the category.
  • Options
    RedhedRedhed Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited April 28, 2006
    auslander wrote:
    I'd like to see the ability to build category trees of arbitrary depth.

What I mean is something more like a filesystem...

15524779-Ti.gif Very nice idea!
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2006
    Uploader for macOS X request
    In the 'Files' section of the uploader Could the uploader have an option to have a RED BOX round the stage 2 ('select a gallery')?

Dragging the right files into the window I manage OK,... clicking 'Upload' I manage OK... but I am SO STOOPID when it comes to remembering to select the gallery to put the photos into - I KEEP uploading them into the first gallery listed because I forget that stage , I wish I could have a red box round it to remind me! mwink.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2006
    for the suggestion box...

I keep seeing posts where someone's gotten themselves in a tangle because of extra or unclosed tags
    ...your gallery was all facacta because you had, in your gallery description, </div> that was hanging out all by itself. There was no need for that tag, I removed it, and you're all set now...
    Blogger does something nice in this regard, they check before trying to post what a user's input (especially in their raw html box)

picture14vq.gif

I don't know if they use tidy or their own syntax checker, but it's a good idea.

There's no reason for good software to allow invalid input.
  • Options
    boyersmileboyersmile Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited May 2, 2006
    Another vote for filenames in the shopping cart
    I know that other people have requested this too, but I thought I would mention how useful (if not absolutely necessary) it would be to have the filename show up next to the thumbnail in the shopping cart.

I've placed a few orders for customers where they give me a list of filenames and the quantity of each size. With a large order, it is extremely hard to keep track of each photo when you can only see the thumbnail. This is especially difficult with similar looking thumbnails, and even more difficult when you are ordering several duplicates.

We already have the option to see the filenames in other bulk settings pages (bulk color effects, arrange photos, etc.).

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give us filenames in the shopping cart. This seems like it would be easy to do, right.

Hope to see this option soon.

Thanks,
    Miles
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2006
    boyersmile wrote:
    This seems like it would be easy to do, right.

One thing I've learned here, Miles - it's never good to assume such a thing....

Thanks for the feature request!
  • Options
    smhs.imagessmhs.images Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2006
    I a few suggestions for improvement. Sorry if they have already been brought up...

1. Can we have a way to add galleries or members to our favorites? Like how we add friends... but for people who are not our friends?

2. Photo Communities... if you want to invite someone it is pointless unless they are a pro member because no one sees it buried there in the control panel. Apparently I was invited to a community weeks ago and just spotted the invite yesterday. Isn't there a better way this could be done? Email? or Put in on the home page? I have taken to putting a comment on the gallery, but it seems like more work than it needs to be.

3. My sharegroup... no matter how many times I have arranged these galleries they always somehow get mixed up. I am sure it is something I am doing somewhere else. Basically when someone clicks on the sharegroup link I have given them, I want those galleries to be sorted chronologically... so I went to my control panel/sharegroups/arrange and put them in the order I wanted. But later when I looked at it they were all out of order again. Is this a glitch or something I am doing wrong? Drives me crazy!

Just some thoughts...

Thanks
    Shawna
    www.shawnaseto.com

Nobody gets in to see the wizard. Not nobody, not no how.

Join Smugmug get $5 bucks off!
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2006
    jerek wrote:

Just an improvement thought. I think everything that can be sorted, should be sorted. Makes things easier, and it's mostly not a big task for developers either.

-Jere

I am with you on this... it seems that they are sorted by most recently added but it doesn't work for me either!
    Shawna
    www.shawnaseto.com

• Options
    edited May 3, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    I'd like to be able to have the very same photograph in more than one gallery. That way I could, say, put one shot from a wedding shoot and make it a smugmug critique gallery. Comments to either copy would accumulate in the same place and it's popularity score would be consolidated. Also title changes would propagate.

So, perhaps "Make 2nd Copy" and "Make Shortcut"?

Yes I would love to see this feature. Make 2nd copy gets confusing to other people. Fo example if you do a keyword search on a word that is linked to multiple copies of the same photo, they all show up. Looks confusing.
    Shawna
    www.shawnaseto.com

• Options
    edited May 3, 2006
    wslam wrote:
    Please fix the sorting bug! Cat, SubCat and Galleries order are totally out of control. I can spend my time arranging them, and once I save, the order gets messed up. Or sometimes, it is ok before I sleep and gets messed up by the time I wake up! Please fix this asap!
    thumb.gif

This is what I was refering to!
    Shawna
    www.shawnaseto.com

• Options
    edited May 3, 2006
    This is what I was refering to!
    Shawna, this has been fixed.

On your homepage, you have a button: sort categories by: most recent · position

If you have "position" active there, then when you organize a category, and try to do it by "most recent" for example, it will be overridden by the "position" on the homepage.

http://www.smugmug.com/help/arrange-albums
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Shawna, this has been fixed.

On your homepage, you have a button: sort categories by: most recent · position

If you have "position" active there, then when you organize a category, and try to do it by "most recent" for example, it will be overridden by the "position" on the homepage.

http://www.smugmug.com/help/arrange-albums

gotcha... thought that may be the case but it didn't seem to be the case when I tested it, which was awhile ago. I'll give it another try!
    thanks
    Shawna
    www.shawnaseto.com

• Options
    DnaDna Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2006
    Hi all,

These have probably been mentioned, but I thought I'd add my vote for them.

1. client uploader. One that will upload sub folders would be fantastic.
    2. have a local option for printing, or send an order email.
    3. More, bigger, bett ... what ?!? They have ?? One Terabyte ? Wow.

err... ignore that last one, and keep up the great work.

cheers

Dna
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2006
    Dna wrote:
    Hi all,

These have probably been mentioned, but I thought I'd add my vote for them.

1. client uploader. One that will upload sub folders would be fantastic.

Have you looked at SendToSmugMug and Star Explorer? ear.gif
    http://www.smugmug.com/hack/hacks-apps
  • Options
    C_lawgikC_lawgik Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2006
    custom watermark
    I posted this is the smugmug suggestion thread but it didnt seem to get any notice in there. We really need a custom watermark option! I have photos from our last event that are appearing all over myspace and other sites. Its nice that the "proof" prevents people from printing it but when they appear on sites with only "proof" written on the photos ot gets really annoying. A custom watermark would be reall helpful in this case and im sure others would appreciate it too.
    http://wiki.shahine.com/default.aspx/MyWiki.SendToSmugMug
    Really good upload program for smugmug^^^

• Options
    edited May 5, 2006
    C_lawgik wrote:
    I posted this is the smugmug suggestion thread but it didnt seem to get any notice in there. We really need a custom watermark option! I have photos from our last event that are appearing all over myspace and other sites. Its nice that the "proof" prevents people from printing it but when they appear on sites with only "proof" written on the photos ot gets really annoying. A custom watermark would be reall helpful in this case and im sure others would appreciate it too.

And moved, to the feature request thread. Where all feature requests should go. We saw your request for this. We all read this thread, whenever it's updated.

We very much would like to offer custom watermarks. Thanks for making the post, and telling us how important it is to you!

All the best,
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2006
    ASAP I need bigger edit fields for captions, comments and possibly keywords (also in the bulk edit)! Now that you're planing on a XL-image size you should first give us something better than those S-sized textboxes!

I've asked for it before, because they're already too small for 2 languages, heck even with 1 language and a couple of links or other HTML-stuff it's very hard to see what I've written. After all I need to try to write something similar in the different languages and therefore I really need to keep track of what I've written so far.

Now I'm even thinking of going trilingual - foolish me, but I've to force myself to some Spanish or I'll never master it. rolleyes1.gif That's not going to work with the current edit textboxes, so you got to help me!

Yes - I already do most of my captioning outside of smugmug with IPTC, but timing issues might prevent me from adding all the data before uploading and I can't do the comments in advance.

Thanks a lot,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2006
    ASAP I need bigger edit fields for captions, comments and possibly keywords (also in the bulk edit)! Now that you're planing on a XL-image size you should first give us something better than those S-sized textboxes!

I've asked for it before, because they're already too small for 2 languages, heck even with 1 language and a couple of links or other HTML-stuff it's very hard to see what I've written. After all I need to try to write something similar in the different languages and therefore I really need to keep track of what I've written so far.

Now I'm even thinking of going trilingual - foolish me, but I've to force myself to some Spanish or I'll never master it. rolleyes1.gif That's not going to work with the current edit textboxes, so you got to help me!

Yes - I already do most of my captioning outside of smugmug with IPTC, but timing issues might prevent me from adding all the data before uploading and I can't do the comments in advance.

Thanks a lot,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian, you're a pro account holder- why not just make the boxes any size you want? ear.gif
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Sebastian, you're a pro account holder- why not just make the boxes any size you want? ear.gif
    Hi Andy, got a quick link to the CSS or Java script that does this job? I'm curious about it too.

I'd like to put in a vote for the idea of being able to "favorite" other people's galleries, or better yet specific images. It would be really cool to have 5 of my own popular thumbs, (oh and I too would like to be able to see how many votes a popular photo has gotten!) ...and then five of my favorite thumbs of others.

On the community deviantART for example, (http://matthewsaville.deviantart.com/) I can display a list of my favorite photos as well as a list of favorite photos that are print-able, thus being a "wishlist". If Smugmug is going for "community activity", I think this would be a HUGE step forward.

As well as blogs / journals; which when incorporated into the same host can be displayed really nicely on one's main page. So, is Smugmug ever thinking of going public with smugblogs? I suggested this once before, and mentioned that I'd pay an extra few bucks for one. Right now I have to use a gallery set to journal or critique style, and it's pretty primitive compared to my other, REAL blogs... (And I have five already. Eesh!)

Take care,
    -Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Oh, haven't noticed the textarea settings in the CSS file - thanks, that really helps a lot! thumb.gif
    Just leaves the not yet with CSS redone bulk captioning/keyword tool which I can't adjust to my needs.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2006
    Oh, haven't noticed the textarea settings in the CSS file - thanks, that really helps a lot! thumb.gif
    Just leaves the not yet with CSS redone bulk captioning/keyword tool which I can't adjust to my needs.

Sebastian

Here you go: (and Matthew, too!)
    Firefox and Web Dev are your friend deal.gif Here's some starting point. Change the width and height as appropriate.

#addImageComment textarea {
    width: 600px;
    height: 300px;
    }

#editCaption_bottom textarea {
    width: 600px !important;
    }

#editKeywords textarea {
    width: 600px;
    }
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Here you go: (and Matthew, too!)
    Firefox and Web Dev are your friend deal.gif Here's some starting point. Change the width and height as appropriate.
    Thanks, but I found the solution on my own. :D I guess I haven't made that clear in my last post.

Sebastian

EDIT: Oh, haven't seen Matthew's post before.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2006
    I've got another request: How about giving us the possibility to edit our own comments? After all when I'm logged in the system should be able to recognize me and let me edit them.

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2006
    I've got another request: How about giving us the possibility to edit our own comments? After all when I'm logged in the system should be able to recognize me and let me edit them.

Thanks,
    Sebastian

Thanks for the reqeust. But you'll have this quicker if you just copy/delete/edit/re-comment thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Thanks for the reqeust. But you'll have this quicker if you just copy/delete/edit/re-comment thumb.gif
    Yeah, but then it's probably out of context if others already commented. I'm referring to older comments where I would like to add stuff.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    NaturalEyeNaturalEye Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    Not sure if this is the right place for this?

I would love to be able to offset print profits againts the annual subscription. When you have to convert a small US $ cheque to another currency a lot of it is eaten up in bank charges and this would avoid it.

Gary
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2006
    NaturalEye wrote:
    Not sure if this is the right place for this?

I would love to be able to offset print profits againts the annual subscription. When you have to convert a small US $ cheque to another currency a lot of it is eaten up in bank charges and this would avoid it.

Gary

Can't- tax authority rules here in the U.S.
    Wish I had a better answer for you.
This discussion has been closed.