Options

SmugMug Feature Requests #5

Comments

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2006
    Thumb voting stats made visible to the picture's owner
    I thought about this. Why not make the voting record of pictures available to their owners? I don't see how this gives away any important secret about how the data is used to calculate rankings. I think it would be very helpful input to the photographers, just as useful as comments and the stars.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2006
    Rotate critique galleries in the smugmug.com/browse page
    This is a place where randomization or just plain rotation would be good since it would give everyone an equal chance at critiques, good or bad, popular or not. Shots that are not popular would get the visibility they need to have a chance.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 5, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    This is a place where randomization or just plain rotation would be good since it would give everyone an equal chance at critiques, good or bad, popular or not. Shots that are not popular would get the visibility they need to have a chance.

The current system allows "unpopular" or "bad" critique galleries to get the same amount of time on the page.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2006
    Links / by reference copies
    I'd like to be able to have the very same photograph in more than one gallery. That way I could, say, put one shot from a wedding shoot and make it a smugmug critique gallery. Comments to either copy would accumulate in the same place and it's popularity score would be consolidated. Also title changes would propagate.

So, perhaps "Make 2nd Copy" and "Make Shortcut"?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    I'd like to be able to have the very same photograph in more than one gallery. That way I could, say, put one shot from a wedding shoot and make it a smugmug critique gallery. Comments to either copy would accumulate in the same place and it's popularity score would be consolidated. Also title changes would propagate.

So, perhaps "Make 2nd Copy" and "Make Shortcut"?

Thanks. It's been asked before but we appreciate you telling us how important this is to you!
  • Options
    discojeepdiscojeep Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 8, 2006
    Sharegroup request
    When you select a gallery from a sharegroup page, there is no easy way to go back to the sharegroup after viewing the photos in that gallery. You can hit back 62 times, or else you can re-enter the URL for the sharegroup. I suggest that there be a "Back to Sharegroupname" button in the gallery.
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2006
    discojeep wrote:
    When you select a gallery from a sharegroup page, there is no easy way to go back to the sharegroup after viewing the photos in that gallery. You can hit back 62 times, or else you can re-enter the URL for the sharegroup. I suggest that there be a "Back to Sharegroupname" button in the gallery.
    Thanks

wave.gif Hi discojeep welcome to Dgrin :D

It's a fine suggestion - will make sure the rest of the team sees it.
  • Options
    jamescalderjamescalder Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited April 9, 2006
    prevent uploading invalid file types in Replace Photo
    based on my experience the other day (and consequent wasting of andy's valuable time :andy ) i have a suggestion.

i tried multiple times to perform a "replace photo" on two different images, not noticing i was selecting the .crw version of my image file instead of the .jpg - doh! on each unsuccessful attempt, i waited at least the same amount of time for the upload to complete as i would if i had chosen a .jpg file (something like 30-45 seconds for each 1.5-2.0 Mb file) so i didn't think anything was amiss... until the upload result page ended up at a totally blank screen with no error message.

might i humbly request that you consider preventing such foolish attempts at the outset, instead of letting poor idiots like me bash their heads against the wall, thereby losing more of our few remaining brain cells?

:bash thumb.gif

thanks,

j
    http://jamescalder.smugmug.com
  • Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 9, 2006
    based on my experience the other day (and consequent wasting of andy's valuable time :andy ) i have a suggestion.

i tried multiple times to perform a "replace photo" on two different images, not noticing i was selecting the .crw version of my image file instead of the .jpg - doh! on each unsuccessful attempt, i waited at least the same amount of time for the upload to complete as i would if i had chosen a .jpg file (something like 30-45 seconds for each 1.5-2.0 Mb file) so i didn't think anything was amiss... until the upload result page ended up at a totally blank screen with no error message.

might i humbly request that you consider preventing such foolish attempts at the outset, instead of letting poor idiots like me bash their heads against the wall, thereby losing more of our few remaining brain cells?

:bash thumb.gif

thanks,

j
    http://jamescalder.smugmug.com

Good idea! Thanks!
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2006
    PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE... Add the Bulk Zoom Thumbnail as a SM feature. I can not for the life of me figure out why the hack code will not work. But the situation is worsening. I know help for that is at a premium...so if it were a SM feature I would think I'd not be having the code conflicts....

The ability to use a homepage slideshow w/o a hack would be graet too, but most have gotten that hack to work...

Thanks for all the help you all have given me...
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2006
    PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE... Add the Bulk Zoom Thumbnail as a SM feature. I can not for the life of me figure out why the hack code will not work. But the situation is worsening. I know help for that is at a premium...so if it were a SM feature I would think I'd not be having the code conflicts....

The ability to use a homepage slideshow w/o a hack would be graet too, but most have gotten that hack to work...

Thanks for all the help you all have given me...
    Thanks Anthony.
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2006
    There's a new map service with awesome detailed maps for Germany!
    Here's a view at the market place in Leipzig and here's the same spot with google maps - see any difference? mwink.gif
    The company behind this new yellow pages services providing the data is apparently endoxon. Any chance that you could possibly add their service in addition to google maps for Germany only? They offer customized mapping services and maybe they're interested in spreading their business with you. mwink.gif

I know that it's long shot and that google maps and their stuff probably won't work together, but I'd love to give my current not very useful google maps a much more detailed face.

Thanks a lot for looking into the possibility,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    RedhedRedhed Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited April 10, 2006
    Viewer Passwords suggestion
    Here's a suggestion that I'm going to try my hardest to explain well....

"Viewer Passwords" - With this feature, a viewer/guest can click a special link on your smugmug homepage where they will enter a personal password. Depending upon the password they enter, it will give them access to different albums/photos. This would allow smugmug members to keep all the pictures from one event in one album, but still hide certain shots from certain people.

I've been making two separate albums for each event--one PRIVATE with ALL the pictures, which gets put into a sharegroup for people who have the URL; the other PUBLIC with SOME of the pictures for everyone to see. Viewer passwords would solve this problem, because then I could make ONE PUBLIC album and restrict certain photos from being seen unless the viewer entered a certain password. It would be up to me to tell each viewer which password(s) to use, and also up to me to set which photos will show with each password.

Some people may not need this feature, but I think it will benefit casual shooters like me...I want to show my friends ALL of my pictures from college, but my grandma definitely doesn't need to see a select few. Get what I mean? :): Pros could use this to keep their sites mainly for professional use, but allow a certain privileged few to enter a password and see personal photos as well.

A hypothetical example: A college friend of mine (lets call him Fred) goes to my main page. He sees a few albums that I have left completely public (viewable by all). Fred clicks "Enter viewer password" and types in what I had told him before: "college". Now, when he returns to my main page, he sees the public albums as well as the albums that I designated available to those who entered the "college" password. Within the albums, Fred now sees additional pictures that he would not have been allowed to see without the "college" password. Another time, my mom goes to my main page. She sees my main albums. She clicks "Enter Viewer Password" and types what I had told her: "family". Now on my main page, she sees the main albums as well as albums that I designated as available to those who enter the "family" password. She may cannot see albums/pictures designated for "college" viewers, unless the album/picture is also designated for "family". Each album can be made available for as few or as many passwords as I choose. Passwords "unlock" certain albums as well as certain photos...once a password is entered, additional albums show up on the main page and additional photos show up within certain albums. Viewers can enter the password at any time and from any page within my site.

I don't really know how to explain this better...but for a real example, check out Open Diary with it's "Reader Passwords". That's where I got the idea from! You can find a description of that feature under Help>Help and FAQs>Open Diary Plus (sorry, unable to post a link directly to it).

Very sorry this is so long...I hope it's understandable! Please consider this suggestion :)
  • Options
    peestandinguppeestandingup Registered Users Posts: 489 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2006
    Yes, im gonna add my request for PAYPAL INTEGRATION throughout Smugmug. I have had 2 people this week ask me why they couldnt use Paypal to pay for orders. I just said "ne_nau.gif".

And that doesnt just go for paid orders, but im sure we would all love to see Smugmug embrace Paypal throughout the entire site. That means:

1. The ability for customers to pay for orders using Paypal (yes, of course). And that means digital downloads too ;-)

2. The ability for us (the users) to pay for our annual fees using it.

3. This is a BIG one. The ability for pro users to transfer their earnings to their Paypal account at anytime they want nomatter how small the amount. Would also be nice if we could put it towards our annual dues throughout the year.

All those are very looong overdue, especially that last one. You guys are soo ahead of everyone else in almost everyway, besides this. The team at Smugmug are technical wizards, but for Pro users the only way to get paid for your work is for Smugmug to write you a check once a month & send it through regular snail mail & you can only request a check if the total is over $100. That seems very uh, old school to say the least.

We all greatly appreciate the latest updates to the site & love the fact that you guys are constantly improving on an already great experience, but im sure most people would rather see updates that really hit home. Dont get me wrong, I love Lightbox & PhotoRank, but I think the users wanna see updates that have more substance. I dont recall seeing any requests for these recent updates, but I sure can recall a crap load of Paypal requests.

Thanks for a great site & hopefully, some great upcoming updates. Cheers...Kerry
  • Options
    vicpintovicpinto Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited April 10, 2006
    New feature suggestion - "New" icon.
    I'd like to suggest a new feature. How about having the option to tag an image thumbnail as "new" either with a default smugmug icon or, even better, with a custom icon?

This could be done manually to an image and/or smug could build some intelligence into the upload browser where all recently upload images get tagged automatically.

Naturally, it would be nice to turn this feature on or off on a per gallery basis.

Just a thought and keep up the great work guys.
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2006
    Yes, im gonna add my request for PAYPAL INTEGRATION throughout Smugmug. Cheers...Kerry

Tell them about how paypal will at liberty take from your account when there is any dispute, will screw up people's accounts by taking more than they should, etc etc. I for one don't like paypal one bit, and it's with good reason that I don't know any attorneys who use it.
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2006
    Yes, im gonna add my request for PAYPAL INTEGRATION throughout Smugmug.

Thanks Kerry. Don't hold your breath, I'm afraid.
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=186296&postcount=18

We're happy with the credit card systems in place now. If this changes, we'll be sure to post something about it...
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2006
    vicpinto wrote:
    I'd like to suggest a new feature. How about having the option to tag an image thumbnail as "new" either with a default smugmug icon or, even better, with a custom icon?

This could be done manually to an image and/or smug could build some intelligence into the upload browser where all recently upload images get tagged automatically.

Naturally, it would be nice to turn this feature on or off on a per gallery basis.

Just a thought and keep up the great work guys.

Thanks vic :) for the suggestion!
  • Options
    peestandinguppeestandingup Registered Users Posts: 489 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2006
    Tell them about how paypal will at liberty take from your account when there is any dispute, will screw up people's accounts by taking more than they should, etc etc. I for one don't like paypal one bit, and it's with good reason that I don't know any attorneys who use it.
    Really?? Hmm, I have been using them for years & never had that happen or heard of it happening to anyone I know. And I dont think Smugmug should allow for Paypal only, but just have it as an option.
    Andy wrote:
    Thanks Kerry. Don't hold your breath, I'm afraid.
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=186296&postcount=18

We're happy with the credit card systems in place now. If this changes, we'll be sure to post something about it...
    Wow, I never knew some people considered it a ripoff. Thats shocking & totally new to me. Ah, well. Hopefully some other company will do something similar but better.

Thanks guys!
  • Options
    RKeatonRKeaton Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    I saw image download mentioned in this forum several times, but didn't see a response from Andy. Maybe I just overlooked it.

At the moment it's my #1 request....the only thing I miss about Printroom (where I came to SmugMug from).
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2006
    RKeaton wrote:
    I saw image download mentioned in this forum several times, but didn't see a response from Andy. Maybe I just overlooked it.

At the moment it's my #1 request....the only thing I miss about Printroom (where I came to SmugMug from).

Yep. It's been asked, answered and we want to offer it. I hope we'll have it - thanks for your feature request!
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2006
    easier access to exif link
    Would it be possible to get the link to the exif information (http://cabbey.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?...) added to the easy sharing page (http://cabbey.smugmug.com/gallery/share.mg?...)? Thanks.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2006
    cabbey wrote:
    Would it be possible to get the link to the exif information (http://cabbey.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?...) added to the easy sharing page (http://cabbey.smugmug.com/gallery/share.mg?...)? Thanks.

Now *that* is one of the finest suggestions I've heard in a long time. Bravo, Cabbey clap.gif
  • Options
    C_lawgikC_lawgik Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2006
    I wouls like to see custom watermark and ability to put the watermark in differnt positions on the photo instead of just in the center
    http://wiki.shahine.com/default.aspx/MyWiki.SendToSmugMug
    Really good upload program for smugmug^^^

• Options
    PaulSpotPaulSpot Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited April 15, 2006
    Bulk operations on keyword searches (and other me toos)
    I think what I'm asking for isn't possible, so it must belong here in feature requests.

I need to do bulk operations on keyword search results. Right now it looks like you can, but it acts more like a bug. For instance, if I click on a keyword from my home page I get a nice long list of photos across multiple galleries that have that keyword. I then click on "Tools:<Keyword tools>Edit Captions/keywords (bulk)", and surprisingly am met with the bulk caption/keyword editing for the gallery of the particular photo I was on. I expected to be editing captions/keywords for all photos matching the keyword I was looking at. It would be nice if this functionality was also available from search results.

The particular reason I want to do this is that I've tagged my photos with the names of the persons in them (dave, paul, jen) and would now like to additionally tag all photos with any of those keywords with the "family" keyword. As it stands now, I have to review each and every gallery and replace "dave" with "dave family", but then I will have duplicates anywhere there is both "dave" and "paul" in the same picture! So, I'm left literally reviewing every one of my thousands of photos to add "family" where appropriate.... I think.

Along those lines, I'd like to be able to "or" together my keywords as well as "and" them. The anding is great- fun and cool to see how keywords are releated. But I need to be able to say "show me all photos with paul, dave, or jen in them", if I have any hope of adding the family tag where appropriate.

While I'm at it, I'd like to say "me too" to a few other feature requests, so you know there are more of us wanting them, just FYI:
    1. Virtual galleries- for me, it would be just as good to be able to have multiple categories (or sub-categories) for an album. Duplicating the album is not acceptable, really. Using links in a description doesn't appear to be a very nice workaround either... unless I'm missing something. You'd have an empty gallery that says "click here to see the real deal?" Not as cool as having galleries just show up where they belong, thumbnail and all, in multiple locations.
    2. Something like Flickr's common tag feature, so I can avoid all my keyword mistakes by just clicking on the recently used/popular/whatever tags instead of relying on so darn much typing.
    3. The uploaders, particulary the nice new one without limits on # of files, don't seem to always filter out bad extensions. Please just show an error once that says "only JPEG, GIF, or PNG (or whatever) can be used" and then automatically filter those out and proceed with the upload. It seems like it chokes on PNG files sometimes, if you have more than 1 file selected? Or a mix of types? Something odd...
    That was wordy. Bottom line: bulk operations on keyword pages, virtual galleries, flickr MRU tags, and filtering in uploaders.

Anyway, just suggestions... can't implement everything for everybody in one day, let alone keep your interface clean at the same time. These are just the ones important to me.
    -Paul
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2006
    What would I like more in smugmug
    1. FTP based upload. I have a not so fast connection, So I would like to start an upload at night, and by morning I would have 200Megs uploaded. But the problem is with browser based upload. Connection breakes. With ftp I can just set a cron job which restarts the upload if connection breakes.
    2. Remote server upload. I have lots of pics on another server where my site is hosted. To get it on smugmug, I would have to download those pics on my machine and then upload. Waste of time and BW. If I can directly give a URL and smugmug pics up the pics from that, it would be great!
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2006
    tsk1979 wrote:
    1. FTP based upload. I have a not so fast connection, So I would like to start an upload at night, and by morning I would have 200Megs uploaded. But the problem is with browser based upload. Connection breakes. With ftp I can just set a cron job which restarts the upload if connection breakes.
    Did you try any of the 3rd party applications that are availiable? Being on a PC I'm using sendToSmugmug for when I'm uploading a couple of pictures on other computers while at home I'm using very successfully StarExplorer (S*E) which let's you set up a big upload queue for multiply galleries and then you click upload and let it do the work. The newest build should also automaticly retry failed pictures a couple of times, but I can't really tell as it's been a while I had connection problems to SM.

Hope this helps,
    Sebastian

PS: 200MB shouldn't be an issue for S*E as there has been a report of a guy having uploaded 20GB in one session.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2006
    Number of thumbnails in move/delete/rotate/etc screens adjust to larger screens.

I have a large 20" monitor and run it in high resolutions such as 1600x1200 and above. But when I maximize a window that has the thumbnails for deleting or moving pictures, I still only get 6 thumbnails per row even though my resolution could handle almost double that. Result? I have to waste time scrolling down more often than I need to.

Sounds nit-picky, but going through over 2000 a week, this adds up to wasted time.

It would be nice if it adjusted the number per row based on the width of the window, so that it will be 6 per row if need be, but also 15 per row if maximized.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2006
    Uploading from the net?
    Hi Andy,
    Smugmug has lots of uploaders by which I can upload pics from my home comp to smugmug. I have lots of pics on another server of mine. This is an internet hosting server so lots of bandwidth. Now to get all those pics on smugmug I would have to download the pics to my comp over my slow connection and then upload to smugmug. This is time consuming. If smugmug could have an uploader where I give a web address, for example
    http://www.example.com/pics/123.jpg it should be able to upload it to the web. Furthermore, I should be able to give http://www.example.com/pics/ so all the image files in that dir can be uploaded to smugmug. I think the second feature will require some effort but the first one seems really simple to implement IMHO. Can we see this in smugmug soon. This would also enable easy writing of hacks which can directly copy files from flicr/zoto etc., accounts to smugmug instead of first downloading pics on the home comp.
    Thanks for your time
    Tanveer
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2006
    tsk1979 wrote:
    Hi Andy,
    Smugmug has lots of uploaders by which I can upload pics from my home comp to smugmug. I have lots of pics on another server of mine. This is an internet hosting server so lots of bandwidth. Now to get all those pics on smugmug I would have to download the pics to my comp over my slow connection and then upload to smugmug. This is time consuming. If smugmug could have an uploader where I give a web address, for example
    http://www.example.com/pics/123.jpg it should be able to upload it to the web. Furthermore, I should be able to give http://www.example.com/pics/ so all the image files in that dir can be uploaded to smugmug. I think the second feature will require some effort but the first one seems really simple to implement IMHO. Can we see this in smugmug soon. This would also enable easy writing of hacks which can directly copy files from flicr/zoto etc., accounts to smugmug instead of first downloading pics on the home comp.
    Thanks for your time
    Tanveer
    Hi Tanveer,

We already have some hacks that do that - Flickr to Smugmug, Pbase to SmugMug both are in alpha stages by our hacker community. Take a look in the hacks forum:

http://www.dgrin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25

Perhaps one of our hackers wants to help you take this on?
This discussion has been closed.