Options

SmugMug Feature Requests #5

Comments

• Options
    deblooisdebloois Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    Move This Photo
    I would really like the option to move the currently displayed photo without having to go to the "move photos" page which displays all the photos in the gallery.

If your gallery contains a lot of photos you have to wait a bit, and in some cases you only want to move one specific photo...

A "move this photo" function as it were...

I love smugmug, by the way!
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    I'm not really happy with the new community homepages. I would like them to be more customizeable, for example have a look at the google.com personalized homepage - I really like the drag and drop functionality.

My main concern is the size of the boxes. Just 10 galleries on the first page is much to less for our fast growing Daily Photos community. A 800pixel wide gallery box would be nice as we currently don't use the sidebar with the keywords and featured galleries. If that's not possible at the moment just give us the possibility to make the box longer to fit more galleries on the first page - involves more scrolling, but better than nothing.

Having the possibility to turn the date of last change back on for the first page would be great too. This definately helped me keeping track of changes.

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2006
    Concerning bulk-geotagging I especially like docwalker's idea:
    "I would also like to see the ability to geo tag galleries and or albums. In some cases I would rather see one point on the map for an entire gallery or album.
    Maybe set it up so that only one photo per gallery/album is plotted on the hompage. Then when you zoom in or go to the gallery/album level you can see the individual photos mapped. That actually would be really cool. Imagine having a map on each category page so you can see the galleries in that section plotted."

Concerning the 150 pictures per map limit I liked paulbrock's idea:
    "Agree the 150 thing is a bit of a pain though, esp if you've travelled the world, but then uploaded 200 local photos. Maybe some clever coding that picks 150 with the least overlap? Dunno how difficult that would be, then when you zoom in, you get rid of those that aren't on the map anymore?
    Not just for around the world, but for the main maps too. E.g. if you go to maps.smugmug.com at this precise time it looks like there's no photos from Africa or S. America.
    [...]Don't think many people mind the 150 limit, as long as it's the most relevant 150, rather than the latest 150."
    So actually how about using the popular-feature and some kind of equally distribution algorithm to filter the immense amount of geotagged photos to give the user the most variety possible on which he can then zoom into by going to a specific user-map or an area of which he wants to see more.

Sorry for the rather long request, but I hope it makes sense to you.
    Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    Arrange mode?
    debloois wrote:
    I would really like the option to move the currently displayed photo without having to go to the "move photos" page which displays all the photos in the gallery.

If your gallery contains a lot of photos you have to wait a bit, and in some cases you only want to move one specific photo...

A "move this photo" function as it were...

I love smugmug, by the way!

Smugmug already has this feature. It's called [X] Arrange Mode and it's available in a couple of the gallery styles. Go to the Smgumug style or the all thumbs style, check the arrange mode checkbox and then just drag drop your image thumbnails into the desired order.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    DennisStanleyDennisStanley Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 9, 2006
    Leaving Comments
    Is there any way to limit Comments to photographs only (not galleries).

I have a site of family tree pictures and what-not. I'm having family members come to the site to identify the people in the pictures. Many of these visitors are leaving comments for the gallery instead of the individual photographs (which isn't AT ALL helpful because I don't know which photograph they're referring to). A comment of "I think this is Great Uncle Harry" doesn't do me any good when there's over 100 photos in the gallery!

How do I manage this? Thanks.
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2006
    CSS can hide the gallery comment UI

I have a site of family tree pictures and what-not. I'm having family members come to the site to identify the people in the pictures. Many of these visitors are leaving comments for the gallery instead of the individual photographs (which isn't AT ALL helpful because I don't know which photograph they're referring to). A comment of "I think this is Great Uncle Harry" doesn't do me any good when there's over 100 photos in the gallery!

If you have a power or pro account, I think you can remove the gallery comment UI from your site with CSS so that there's no way for someone to initiate a gallery comment, only a comment on an individual photo.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2006

John's right - if you upgrade to Power account, you can insert this typpe of code:

/* Disable gallery-wide comments, enable only single-image comments */
    #comment_header {display:none;}
  • Options
    wrollinswrollins Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    random thumbnailed feature photo from multiple sub-categories?
    Thanks in advance to anyone who gives my inquiry a thoughtful read and consideration, and major kudos in advance to anyone who can make it happen!!!

I would like to request that thumbnails for a gallery be randomly drawn from the ENTIRE collection of subcategories/galleries within that master gallery.

Essentially, if had the following gallery structure:

ANIMALS
    ---- Birds
    Blue Jays
    Orioles
    ---- Dogs
    Labs
    Poodles
    ---- Cats
    Shorthaired

the main ANIMALS gallery seems to be able to only randomly generate thumbnailed feature photos from the "Blue Jays" gallery of the "Birds" sub-category and not the entire collection of ALL animals.

I realize I can manually specify a single image as a static feature photo, but I really like the random selection feature but just wish it could draw from multiple galleries!!!

Make sense? :D
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2006
    Just had a GENIUS idea! (Probably impossible to implement...)
    Smugmug has some sort of automatic restriction concerning minimum print resolution. If an image is below maybe 100 PPI or so for a particular print size, it won't let you print that size..

I'd like to be able to manually change this minimum resolution to 200 or 300 PPI, instead of having to go into custom print pricing and perform a LOT of tedious, image-by-image pricing!

The icing on the cake would be if I could dictate that SM only allow print sizes that conform to the aspect-ratio of the image. That and the ability to disable cropping, which is a request I have already beaten to death...

-Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    jerryrjerryr Registered Users Posts: 595 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2006
    New Products
    Hi - Quick question - any thoughts on new products for customers to
    purchase such as calendars, pre-made photo albums with pictures already in them , etc ? If so, what new products are planning on coming out and when ?

Thanks - jerry
    www.jrphotos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2006
    jerryr wrote:
    Hi - Quick question - any thoughts on new products for customers to
    purchase such as calendars, pre-made photo albums with pictures already in them , etc ? If so, what new products are planning on coming out and when ?

Thanks - jerry
    www.jrphotos.smugmug.com
    We don't really say what's coming out in the future, Jerry.

But I can tell you we're always looking at new products to sell, and there are a number of print-products that I'd love to see us have for sale.

Stay tuned and thanks for posting!
  • Options
    DnaDna Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Have you looked at SendToSmugMug and Star Explorer? ear.gif
    http://www.smugmug.com/hack/hacks-apps
    Have now, just what the doctor ordered ...

Thanks Andy.

Dna
  • Options
    radarradar Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited May 11, 2006
    Seperating Galleries
    I have some galleries, that are totally unrelated to others. Currently I have set them up as private, under a sharegroup, and provide the sharegroup link to my clients.

One problem I am having, is that the galleries can be set to not show the link back to my main page, but the sharegroups do not provide this feature.

I do not really want the people that I send to a sharegroup, to follow the main link back to my homepage, and then on to other areas. Currently, I have made all galleries priviate, so my homepage appears empty, but this seems like a bandaid. Perhaps there is already some other way of doing what I am doing, but I have not been able to figure it out.

Another solution would be to set up a second smugmug account, but I was hoping to be able to keep everything under one account.

Thanks
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2006
    radar wrote:
    I have some galleries, that are totally unrelated to others. Currently I have set them up as private, under a sharegroup, and provide the sharegroup link to my clients.

One problem I am having, is that the galleries can be set to not show the link back to my main page, but the sharegroups do not provide this feature.

I do not really want the people that I send to a sharegroup, to follow the main link back to my homepage, and then on to other areas. Currently, I have made all galleries priviate, so my homepage appears empty, but this seems like a bandaid. Perhaps there is already some other way of doing what I am doing, but I have not been able to figure it out.

Another solution would be to set up a second smugmug account, but I was hoping to be able to keep everything under one account.

Thanks

Example links, please? Send them, and a copy of your post, to help@smugmug.com if you wish to keep them private...
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2006
    Gallery Seperation
    Thanks Andy,

Link to one of my sharegroups is as follows. http://acli.smugmug.com/share/ap5guZItpBrgk

I would like it to not show the backlink to my main page.
    http://acli.smugmug.com/

Also, I see by looking through the forums, that you are very busy, but can you check out my responce to you at http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=33462
    and advise.

Thanks
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2006
    radar wrote:
    Thanks Andy,

Link to one of my sharegroups is as follows. http://acli.smugmug.com/share/ap5guZItpBrgk

I would like it to not show the backlink to my main page.
    http://acli.smugmug.com/

Also, I see by looking through the forums, that you are very busy, but can you check out my responce to you at http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=33462
    and advise.

Thanks

How's this: http://acli.smugmug.com/share/ap5guZItpBrgk

I made the breadcrumb disappear on your share homepage. OK?
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    How's this: [sharegroup link]

I've got a request concerning this:
    Typically sharegroup urls look like this: username.smugmug.com/share/code
    and when I leave the username out ( smugmug.com/share/code) it get's resolved back to the username.

My suggestion is now that you don't resolve the sharegroup url back to the username if it's anonymized through just using smugmug.com. That way we can choose when giving out a sharegroup if we want others to see our standard smugmug url. mwink.gif

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2006
    I've got a request concerning this:
    Typically sharegroup urls look like this: username.smugmug.com/share/code
    and when I leave the username out ( smugmug.com/share/code) it get's resolved back to the username.

My suggestion is now that you don't resolve the sharegroup url back to the username if it's anonymized through just using smugmug.com. That way we can choose when giving out a sharegroup if we want others to see our standard smugmug url. mwink.gif

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    It works that way with any customization. It will drop customization if use the smugmug vs the custom url. Check out the following example:

http://newpics.huntsvillecarscene.com/gallery/1437131 -- customized
    http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/1437131 -- where did it all go?
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2006
    Got another request: 'Search smugmug photos' give me the opportunity to enter a keyword and an address - I would like to have this additional address field also for the user search!
    That would help a lot around the 150 picture limit. Currently a search for my name brings up tons of pictures of Leipzig, but what if I want to display the photos I shot in Wittenberg? As of now I can search for photos near Wittenberg, but that also brings up a heck lot of pictures around Europe occupying the 150 photo limit while reducing the real hits I was looking for.

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2006
    SamirD wrote:
    It works that way with any customization. It will drop customization if use the smugmug vs the custom url. Check out the following example:

http://newpics.huntsvillecarscene.com/gallery/1437131 -- customized
    http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/1437131 -- where did it all go?
    Thanks, I'm aware of that and that really bothers me, because sometimes google picks up links like this one without the smugmug and then there's no way for people getting to my real page! If I want to hide my identity I would enable the 'hide owner' setting on gallery basis!
    Please make the feature go away - I want to be in control of what people see and you already have the 'hide owner' function, which is great for it's purpose.
    (by the way - the share photo link still shows the username)

Now back to what we were actually discussing: radar's concern was about Share Groups! See his original post for the links. Share Groups do get resolved back to the username when you access them via smugmug.com. mwink.gif

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    How's this: http://acli.smugmug.com/share/ap5guZItpBrgk

Thanks Andy,

This is what I was looking for. I assume this has something to do with customization and hacks that I have seen mentioned. I am fairly new to using the site, so will have to do some experimenting to see if I can pull this off, in case I want to do the same on another sharegroup.
  • Options
    jerekjerek Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited May 12, 2006
    Direct link to gallery categories
    Cheers,

I would be very happy to see a way to make a direct link to gallery categories. Just like the one is now at Popular photos Gallery.

So you could write
    <a href="www.mydomain.com/galleries">check all galleries</a>

Now it is impossible :uhoh

I know you could fool around with share groups or create some bizarre category which would contain all other galleries as subcategories (or something like that).

But since it is possible to get Gallery Categories on the front page, wouldn't it be possible just see exactly same on a link, just like Popular photos right now?
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2006
    Hi Andy,
    The google maps feature is really great, but sometimes we have an entire gallery shot at the same place. So to associate each pic with a certain geography is really difficult. So it would be great if there was a way to assing geography to an entire gallery. This is esp useful for non US galleries. For example google will know the location of "Nainital, India" but not of the individual areas. So I can associate my entire nainital gallery to "Nainital, India"
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2006
    tsk1979 wrote:
    Hi Andy,
    The google maps feature is really great, but sometimes we have an entire gallery shot at the same place. So to associate each pic with a certain geography is really difficult. So it would be great if there was a way to assing geography to an entire gallery. This is esp useful for non US galleries. For example google will know the location of "Nainital, India" but not of the individual areas. So I can associate my entire nainital gallery to "Nainital, India"

Thanks - this has been asked by others, too. And the engineers are aware of it thumb.gif
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2006
    A couple of requests
    1. Globally do gallery customizarion. For example I want to block Originals on all galleries under a certain category, or block oiginals for all my galleries. Right now you have to go to each gallery and individually do "customize gallery" to change any options
    2. Disable Originals block etc., for owner. For example lets say I am browsing my gallery. I see a pic which I want to download fully. So I have to do "customize gallery->Enable Originals->download my mic->Again customize->Block originals" Long procedure. So it will be great if it was possible to view originals irrespective of the gallery status if you are the owner. Something like "Private galleries are visible to owner" we can have "Originals are always visible to owner"
  • Options
    smugbugsmugbug Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited May 14, 2006
    I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, but could we get a better way to upload photos to Smugmug?

Windows Drag and Drop is the fastest, but has an arbitrary 100MB upload limit, plus it requires you to use IE.

The Universal Java Uploader doesn't have an upload limit, but it is SLOW AS HELL, even with a fast connection (the Windows/IE uploader is 10 times faster). Plus, it is ridiculously unreliable (1 out of 5 uploads, it will stall, or random files will not be uploaded).

I've tried some Smugmug uploading programs, but those are also slow and unreliable, from my limited usage.

It's nice that Smugmug keeps adding new and cool features to the site, but their priority really should be improving the basic thigns, like uploading photos.
  • Options
    golf1025golf1025 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited May 14, 2006
    Feature request - marking pictures private
    I want to exploit the unlimited storage capability of Smugmug to create an off-line 1:1 archive of all my images. However, not all images are of a sufficient quality which warrants them published in a public gallery. Splitting a picture collection in public and private galleries would be rather cumbersome.
    Therefore it would be useful to put all pictures, regardless of quality in one gallery and mark individual pictures as to whether they can be viewed in a public gallery. As far as I can see, this would involve 2 steps:
    - in the Galley customisation menu , add a button: "View only public pictures" (or, alternatively: don't show private pictures)
    - in the photo tools menu, add a button to mark pictures individually or in batch as private.
    Regards,
    Jan
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2006
    Star Explorer
    smugbug wrote:
    I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, but could we get a better way to upload photos to Smugmug?

Windows Drag and Drop is the fastest, but has an arbitrary 100MB upload limit, plus it requires you to use IE.

The Universal Java Uploader doesn't have an upload limit, but it is SLOW AS HELL, even with a fast connection (the Windows/IE uploader is 10 times faster). Plus, it is ridiculously unreliable (1 out of 5 uploads, it will stall, or random files will not be uploaded).

I've tried some Smugmug uploading programs, but those are also slow and unreliable, from my limited usage.

It's nice that Smugmug keeps adding new and cool features to the site, but their priority really should be improving the basic thigns, like uploading photos.

I am always surprised when folks ask for better uploaders because I have everything I want in an uploader in StarExplorer. It's fast, reliable (it has never, ever failed on an upload), I routinely upload hundreds of MBs at once, it runs fully unattened (I can do a huge upload at night while sleeping), it uploads to multiple galleries in one unattended session, it downloads sales statistics, I can use drag 'n drop from either Windows Explorer or from Adobe Bridge to populate the uploads, etc... Oh, it's developer Nikolai is on the forums here to so you can always get a question answered right from the developer who wrote it.

I've also heard that SendToSmugmug is also quite good, but I've not tried that one myself.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    I've also heard that SendToSmugmug is also quite good, but I've not tried that one myself.

It is, and we have thousands of customers using it and StarExplorer...

http://www.smugmug.com/hack/hacks-apps

Good post, John!
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    I am always surprised when folks ask for better uploaders because I have everything I want in an uploader in StarExplorer.

One reason you might here complaints is from anyone on a Mac...we have nothing close to Star*Explorer...
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
This discussion has been closed.