Options

SmugMug weekly maintenance window: Thursday night / Friday morning

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    astockwell wrote:
    Hey Guys,

Are you going to get this back up pretty soon? I have a link that needs to go out to a customer, but I cannot log in to get it. It is in a hidden and passworded gallery, and I am unable to see it in read only mode. Maybe if this stuff isn't ready for prime time, you should try again next week.

-Andy
    Andy, it had nothing to do with any new release. It was purely operational stuff, sorry for the hassle.
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2009
    Any updates on when the site will be back up? I am new and on
    my trial period and want to be on the site seeing if I can get the look
    I want....
    Welcome, sorry for the hassle on your first days!

Updates here, bookmark this http://smugmug.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2009
    ~Jan~ wrote:
    My main site has only been down one time in the year and a half I've been with them.
    And your main site is? ear.gif
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2009
    We're out of read only mode - we've not issued 'all clear' yet (that'll go on the status blog).
  • Options
    suchitsuchit Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    Its nearly up now...
    It now says "09:35 The problems are all resolved, we’re just double-checking some configurations before finishing. The site should be online soon, barring any other hiccups." so it should be up very soon. Trouble is being in India, the time zone lands right across the day. Can't help that I suppose.
    ~ Suchit Nanda
    http://photos.suchit.in/ http://suchitnanda.org/
    Transforming light into expressions of emotions.
  • Options
    ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    And your main site is? ear.gif

Well, my website template is through www.portfoliositez.com and I pay them, but I am not sure where the actual data is hosted.

I don't want you to think I don't love you all--I've sung the praises of SM many times over. Your CS is top-notch and the features of your website are fabulous. At some point I may have my whole site over here. It just does seem like there's a lot of downtime. :)
  • Options
    jenniferannjenniferann Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    Thanks Andy, looking forward to getting back to it.
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2009
    ~Jan~ wrote:
    Well, my website template is through www.portfoliositez.com and I pay them, but I am not sure where the actual data is hosted.

I don't want you to think I don't love you all--I've sung the praises of SM many times over. Your CS is top-notch and the features of your website are fabulous. At some point I may have my whole site over here. It just does seem like there's a lot of downtime. :)
    WE do maintenance on Thurs nights, and we don't normally use each week's maintenance window.

We have the maintenance window because we're growing dramatically, and adding new features to the site all the time.

Today was just a foulup, suff happens and we're glad the site is back to 100%.

It's important to note that we do have Read Only mode, so that we can be working on things, and still displaying your photos.
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2009
    As of 0945 CA time, all clear.
    http://smugmug.wordpress.com/2009/08/06/aug-67-maintenance-window/

Sorry again folks!
  • Options
    ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    Andy wrote:

It's important to note that we do have Read Only mode, so that we can be working on things, and still displaying your photos.

Yes, good point. The client would probably have no idea of the downtime, which is awesome.
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    As of 0945 CA time, all clear.
    http://smugmug.wordpress.com/2009/08/06/aug-67-maintenance-window/

Sorry again folks!

I still cannot get in??? 1:45 Eastern standard time.
    How long do I have to wait?
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2009
    I still cannot get in??? 1:45 Eastern standard time.
    How long do I have to wait?

Sorry, I am good to go now!
  • Options
    dhlewisdhlewis Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    Site Maintenance
    My site is showing some pretty strange things. Password required for flash slideshow, keywords showing up in galleries?

dale@dhlewisphotography.com
    http://dhlewisphotography.com
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    dhlewis wrote:
    My site is showing some pretty strange things. Password required for flash slideshow, keywords showing up in galleries?

I am uploading, with 7 errors so far. Maybe I tried getting back to work prematurely?
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2009
    It's all good now, please go ahead and use the site thumb.gif
    Sorry for the hassle, folks!
  • Options
    RuSuRuSu Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    Still no go..
    10PM Moscow time - still getting message re upgrading maintenance. All systems are not go. Day wasted...
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    It's all good now, please go ahead and use the site thumb.gif
    Sorry for the hassle, folks!

I just uploaded 4 photos to one of my galleries, and it said they
    uploaded, but when I go to the gallery - nothing!! What happened?
    I know they are not too big - does it usually take along time for them
    to show up? I do not even get the "processing photo" icon.
  • Options
    KitKat987KitKat987 Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    I can't even log in................. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    jdfaithjdfaith Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    Looks like it's off-line, again. Won't even let me log in.
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2009
    jdfaith wrote:
    Looks like it's off-line, again. Won't even let me log in.

I am getting a bit worried about going with smugmug - I just tried
    uploading 8 photos and it selectively uploaded 3 and the hell with the
    rest - maybe I should look for another hosting site - is this a frequent
    problem??
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,848 moderator
    edited August 7, 2009
    ... is this a frequent
    problem??

Absolutely not a frequent problem.

Something must be seriously amiss, but this is not typical. SmugMug is very, very careful about downtime and sensitive to customer issues.

Hang in there folks.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    I know time flies when you're out chasing after those issues, but it feels like eternity for people who have to wait in the dark. You can tell people truthfully that you don't really know exactly how long it'll take, but people don't like to hear that. It's better to give them an estimated time and be done earlier or keep them informed if extended time is needed.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2009
    Thanks Ziggy, I will hang tough for a while, I really like Smugmug and have
    heard such wonderful things about them, it is just frustrating for me as I
    am in my trial period and have lost a whole day.
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    Well, I have a bit of a mess on my hands. Mac Daddy errored out last night, I reuploaded today, 50 of 180 errors reported, lots of network-interruption pauses. In actuality, both uploads seem to have partly worked, now I have to winnow out the duplicates and insure everything is there. One by one. For 472 images.

Maybe I'll wait before uploading the other 3 galleries...
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    Thanks Ziggy, I will hang tough for a while, I really like Smugmug and have
    heard such wonderful things about them, it is just frustrating for me as I
    am in my trial period and have lost a whole day.
    If you run out of time, I'm guessing that they will probably extend your trial. Just ask here.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2009
    lynnesite wrote:
    now I have to winnow out the duplicates and insure everything is there. One by one. For 472 images.

Maybe I'll wait before uploading the other 3 galleries...
    The New Simple uploader (in-browser) has a feature that is very good: skip duplicates - so you can dump all the files in again and we'll ignore dupes for you.
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    If you run out of time, I'm guessing that they will probably extend your trial. Just ask here.
    nod.gif we always would do that.
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    The New Simple uploader (in-browser) has a feature that is very good: skip duplicates - so you can dump all the files in again and we'll ignore dupes for you.

Thanks, Andy, I'll try that. I've killed the 9 strange "error" duplications, I think. So I'll dump the whole last upload in and see how it does, since 30+ out of 180 failed.

Those considering Smugmug, this is quite uncharacteristic.

ETA: Simple uploader, some worked, errors claiming "file format" problems, horrendously slow. Uploaded to a different gallery, tiny one. Errors nearly the whole way, maybe one or two photos uploaded. I'm done. Will go check my connection next.

ETA 2: It appears my ISP is chugging along at dialup speed, I'll bet that's at fault for today's stuff.
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    lynnesite wrote:
    Thanks, Andy, I'll try that. I've killed the 9 strange "error" duplications, I think. So I'll dump the whole last upload in and see how it does, since 30+ out of 180 failed.

Those considering Smugmug, this is quite uncharacteristic.

ETA: Simple uploader, some worked, errors claiming "file format" problems, horrendously slow. Uploaded to a different gallery, tiny one. Errors nearly the whole way, maybe one or two photos uploaded. I'm done. Will go check my connection next.

ETA 2: It appears my ISP is chugging along at dialup speed, I'll bet that's at fault for today's stuff.

I find that the skip duplicate option is not all that accurate. I had 10 errors in my last upload (out of 150), I tried the skip duplicate option and the numbers didn't add up. So, with only 10, I went into the log, wrote down the file #s and selected only those for uploading. Would not want to do this for 400+ images, however. With that # I would consider scrapping the whole gallery and starting fresh when everything is up and running again smoothly.

As for how often this happens - I know the stats are out there someplace - all I can say is, when Smug Mug is working, it's the best - can't be beat, but these down times are hellish, and this is the third Biggie I can remember in the past 6-12 mos.

Edit: It turns out that when I was putting the finishing touches on my gallery, sorting, editing, I discovered that out of 294 files, only 210 loaded (which explains the discrepancy between error # and non-duplicates). I am now starting the whole gallery from scratch. It might behoove others who downloaded anything today to check their galleries carefully.
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2009
    sara505 wrote:
    Edit: It turns out that when I was putting the finishing touches on my gallery, sorting, editing, I discovered that out of 294 files, only 210 loaded (which explains the discrepancy between error # and non-duplicates). I am now starting the whole gallery from scratch. It might behoove others who downloaded anything today to check their galleries carefully.

You're right. The entire gallery was FUBAR so I've just deleted it all and will re-add. My stats will go to hell and my users will be inconvenienced but that's the breaks. I've done several small galleries since with no problems.