Options

SmugMug weekly maintenance window: Thursday night / Friday morning

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    BeachBill wrote:
    Well, I know that virtual galleries recently changed to "planned" over on the user voice site, so I'm hopeful this longed awaited feature will finally be here.

http://smugmug.uservoice.com/pages/17723-smugmug/suggestions/200474-let-us-have-virtual-galleries
    after 'planned' comes 'started' :)
  • Options
    CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    'started'
    Andy wrote:
    after 'planned' comes 'started' :)

I just checked all the 'started' to try and guess headscratch.gif what tonights rollout will be(if it's something listed as started)... lol... anyones guess is better than mine. There are some really great 'started' though... :D
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • Options
    Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    I remember when they redid the slideshow that a filmstrip makeover was planned for a future release... I guess we'll know by tomorrow morning. But a useable stretchy filmstrip that isn't clunky and ugly would be great. Especially if it was a vertical strip...
  • Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    I'm guessing it's either Stats or easy navigation (custom URL's)

David
  • Options
    photostuffphotostuff Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    Also, if they redid the Advanced Customizer to make it more user friendly and with larger input boxes would be great. However I don't expect that will happen in this release. I'm sure there are several things that we all would love but can't happen all at once obviously.
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2009
    photostuff wrote:
    Also, if they redid the Advanced Customizer to make it more user friendly and with larger input boxes would be great. However I don't expect that will happen in this release. I'm sure there are several things that we all would love but can't happen all at once obviously.
    I actually do most of the code editing in a real editor then paste it in. It's MUCH easier, I get code collapse, highlighting, etc.. and there's much less chance of messing something up :)

Notepad++ ( http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm ) is a great programmers editor. Free too! :)

David
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    DrDavid wrote:
    I actually do most of the code editing in a real editor then paste it in. It's MUCH easier, I get code collapse, highlighting, etc.. and there's much less chance of messing something up :)

Notepad++ ( http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm ) is a great programmers editor. Free too! :)

David
    Same here. I never edit in the actual Smugmug boxes. Notepad++ for me.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2009
    Release notes were posted early by mistake. Google cache got a copy of them. I won't post a link, nor will I say what it is, (you'll find out shortly anyways), but, it's a cool release :)

Proving again that yes.. Google IS your friend :)

David
  • Options
    SunnyvalejohnSunnyvalejohn Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    I feel like a kid a Christmas time! I can't wait till morning to check it out! I want to open my presents now!
    Keep up the great work.
    John
  • Options
    JackarooJackaroo Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited August 22, 2009
    Too bad for the Australian users...
    Friday evening (Australia EST time... our busiest time... the 'Smugmug Heroes' get to work - a weekly occurence)

Saturday evening (another busy time for us... "Smugmug Maintenance' - no 'winow shopping mode' as advertised - the site is 'closed')
    Hope this is worth it. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    AyhamAyham Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited August 22, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Folks, new feature being added, but we're doing it Friday night late (10pm CA time). http://smugmug.wordpress.com for more info. We would have liked to finish during our window today, but there was a risk of going over time, which would impact folks on the east coast and Europe, who are in their daylight hours right now. So, we'll finish the job tonight while most of our customers are sleeping. Thanks as ever, for your patience and support. We're all really excited about this release, it's been a while in the baking and making.

Hey Andy
    First of all, thanks to you and all your team for efforts making SmugMug and SmugMug served websites better everyday, God bless you all.
    I wonder if the said features are kept as a surprise for us SmugMug users, I'm dying to see what they are.
    Now, being a user from Dubai (UAE) +4 GMT means I'm one of the most affected users by being offline since the time that you consider most of the users would be sleeping, my visitors and I would be awake. I know that users from my time zone could be a minority among SmugMug users so I'd like to request from you and your team to generate an automated email notification sent to each respected user 12 or 24 hours before going offline, I hope it could be possibleheadscratch.gif . Of course it's not convenient to keep on watching the blog at all times to see if there's maintenance or not. It happened several times to me that my website went offline right after that I sent online promotions to visit my website especially when upload new stuff.

Thanks and good luck
  • Options
    photostuffphotostuff Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    DrDavid wrote:

David

Actually I do have Notepad++ and other html/css editors. :):
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2009
    I remember when they redid the slideshow that a filmstrip makeover was planned for a future release... I guess we'll know by tomorrow morning. But a useable stretchy filmstrip that isn't clunky and ugly would be great. Especially if it was a vertical strip...
    I think slideshow style does what filmstrip did. We just need to make the thumbnails smarter (in both how they are made, and also how they appear/disappear.
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2009
    photostuff wrote:
    Also, if they redid the Advanced Customizer to make it more user friendly and with larger input boxes would be great.
    Use Jfriend's suggestion.

But the other one is use a browser like Safari and make the boxes as big as you like :D
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2009
    Jackaroo wrote:
    Too bad for the Australian users...
    Friday evening (Australia EST time... our busiest time... the 'Smugmug Heroes' get to work - a weekly occurence)

Saturday evening (another busy time for us... "Smugmug Maintenance' - no 'winow shopping mode' as advertised - the site is 'closed')
    Hope this is worth it. headscratch.gif

It's really unusual for us to do this, a 2nd night of maintenance. I'm very sorry to our Asian, Australian, and Europoean folks. We'll be back up soon.

As to our Thursday planned maintenance windows, we don't normally use them week after week like we the past few weeks. Sorry!
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2009
    Ayham wrote:
    Hey Andy
    First of all, thanks to you and all your team for efforts making SmugMug and SmugMug served websites better everyday, God bless you all.
    I wonder if the said features are kept as a surprise for us SmugMug users, I'm dying to see what they are.
    Now, being a user from Dubai (UAE) +4 GMT means I'm one of the most affected users by being offline since the time that you consider most of the users would be sleeping, my visitors and I would be awake. I know that users from my time zone could be a minority among SmugMug users so I'd like to request from you and your team to generate an automated email notification sent to each respected user 12 or 24 hours before going offline, I hope it could be possibleheadscratch.gif . Of course it's not convenient to keep on watching the blog at all times to see if there's maintenance or not. It happened several times to me that my website went offline right after that I sent online promotions to visit my website especially when upload new stuff.

Thanks and good luck
    I just hope we don't have to do this again - the 2nd night of maintenance. I'm so sorry it affects you in the UAE. We'll be done soon, I'm sorry.
  • Options
    LPCLPC Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    I really hope this is worth it because all these delays are infuriating :smo
  • Options
    tfboytfboy Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    LPC wrote:
    I really hope this is worth it because all these delays are infuriating :smo
    Well, it should be only a maximum of another 15 minutes wait ;) But having found the new features which should be available, it'll be worth it thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2009
    tfboy wrote:
    Well, it should be only a maximum of another 15 minutes wait ;) But having found the new features which should be available, it'll be worth it thumb.gif
    Surprise surprise, it's taking longer than we hoped. But we're gaining on it!

rolleyes1.gif Sorry !
  • Options
    AFBlueAFBlue Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    tfboy wrote:

I love an optimist. Remember, the post said: Currently estimating another two hours or so until we’re back to normal.

It happens when it happens and usually later than earlier.
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2009
    AFBlue wrote:
    I love an optimist. Remember, the post said: Currently estimating another two hours or so until we’re back to normal.

Hey guys, the site's in good hands. Remember, our CEO is also our Chief Geek. He's the one driving this release. It's a very gnarly one, lots of moving parts, lots of stuff that had to be updated and such. Hang in there, thanks.
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Surprise surprise, it's taking longer than we hoped. But we're gaining on it!

rolleyes1.gif Sorry !

Groooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnn.

Now there's a surprise.

:D
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2009
    AFBlue wrote:

Hey, I'm not the optimist, Don is! You missed quoting the last bit " but we’ll likely go back to read-only mode before then." rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    JMW-PhotoJMW-Photo Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited August 22, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Hey guys, the site's in good hands. Remember, our CEO is also our Chief Geek. He's the one driving this release. It's a very gnarly one, lots of moving parts, lots of stuff that had to be updated and such. Hang in there, thanks.

ETA? Anything more specific that "hang in there" or "soon"? ...please? Been up all night and have images to load for a client.
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2009
    JMW-Photo wrote:
    ETA? Anything more specific that "hang in there" or "soon"? ...please? Been up all night and have images to load for a client.
    04:55 PDT: The upgrade is complete, we’re just waiting for all of our systems to get fully caught up and in sync. We should start turning the site back on in the next 30 minutes, barring any problems.

Thanks. http://smugmug.wordpress.com
  • Options
    BetzBetz Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    *sips some chai and fiddles with Lightroom while she waits*
    "Good things come to those who wait."

I'm not a SmugMug vet... in fact I'm just coming up on 1 year with SM but the quoted saying has always been true with these guys. I'd send you guys some Chai and danish but eh, you know the drill... they haven't come up with a Holodeck ...

yet.
  • Options
    chloepapachloepapa Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 22, 2009
    as I have sent complaint letter to Smugmug a few days ago on the connection speed issue, the server is down again

totally lost my faith in smugmug and looking for another web for photo storage

any other suggestion ?
  • Options
    BetzBetz Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    chloepapa wrote:
    as I have sent complaint letter to Smugmug a few days ago on the connection speed issue, the server is down again

any other suggestion ?

They're upgrading. Sorry that you've had speed issues. I've never encountered that with SmugMug. I can tell you this... I've tried others and came home to SM. Can't beat the customer service, can't beat the willingness to work their arses off to give us new and fabulous things.
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2009
    chloepapa wrote:

any other suggestion ?
    Hi chloepapa -I see your emails right now to the help desk. On Aug 18th, Hero Seth asked you for some diagnostic tests, we're still waiting on a reply to that. Can you please write us with the results so we can help diagnose your speed issue? We care about speed, in fact we spend a $$$fortune on infrastructure to make SmugMug faster than any other site like ours. We'll help!

As to the maintenance, well, we don't normally use our maintenance window so much, just in the past few weeks. And we rarely, if ever, take the site down two nights in a row. I'm sorry. Hope you'll be happy with the release!
  • Options
    timnosenzotimnosenzo Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    chloepapa wrote:
    any other suggestion ?

pay attention to the schedule for planned outages? ne_nau.gif