• Options
    george-1george-1 Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited December 2, 2007
    The Nuge keeps a mile of New Mexico highway clean, as wee:

228084198-M-1.jpg
  • Options
    craftgirlcraftgirl Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2007
    I shoot mostly NASCAR, and I dont know if this counts really, but these guys showed up to hang out with Carl Edwards at Lowe's Motorspeedway this past October....

Rob Thomas and Matchbox Twenty

RobThomasLowes1011150_2_1.jpg

RobThomasLowes1011112_7_1.jpg

RobThomasLowes1011066_1_1.jpg

RobThomasLowes1011116_5_1.jpg

Matchbox20Lowes1011133_2_1.jpg
    Tracy :rofl
    Canon Stuff
    www.craftgirlcreations.smugmug.com
  • Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2008
    Adele @ the Rivoli
    Terrible light and no place to move but a great gig. What a voice!

2366688945_4fcceedea3_b.jpg
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2008
    Debrah Henson Conant on the Electric Hip Harp
    271893802_p6MKx-L-1.jpg
    Exposure Time 0.025s (1/40)
    Aperture f/3.5
    ISO 3200
    Focal Length 48mm (72mm 35mm)

Don

Edit: Sorry the image was missing for a while!ne_nau.gif
    D
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    jayegirljayegirl Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2008
    Gary Morris, Texas State Fair, early 80's
    56573198_fZRzN-S.jpg

Claude Hopper, from a concert at my church
    69968984_Br5QD-S.jpg

Grandpa Jones at the Grand Ole Opry
    19269589_5R9pD-S.jpg

Porter Waggoner at the Grand Ole Opry
    19269590_5ojmf-S.jpg

Keith Urban
    9945453_wMs9v-S.jpg
    9945456_897sR-S.jpg

Isaacs concert at my church
    14330040_64e2f-S.jpg

Rascal Flatts
    76094749_dHzQA-S.jpg

Some Like it Hot
    1350478_BVULp#63734719
    Jaye
  • Options
    JonMikalJonMikal Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2008
    love the isaacs!
  • Options
    ZimtokZimtok Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    Some great photos here...

I have a few I've taken while running sound in the Memphis area. I work with one band but get exposed to quite a few other bands.

it only allowed me to upload one photos so...
  • Options
    ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2008
    We went to a Dog Show and there was some local band playing. They did a pretty decent job.

IMG_4623-1.jpg

IMG_4625-3.jpg

IMG_4626-4.jpg

IMG_4627-5.jpg

IMG_4630-8.jpg

IMG_4633-11.jpg

IMG_4642-16.jpg

IMG_4643-17.jpg
    LadyTX
  • Options
    MissAdventureMissAdventure Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited May 31, 2008
    This was the Not So Silent Night at the Bill Grahm Civic Center in San Fransisco, California. This is Haley Williams from Paramore.

PeddleWithMe100-1.jpg
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    Pine Leaf Boys
    Luisiana Zydeco Band
    312709277_4MDpS-L.jpg

312710317_3VQhk-L.jpg

312711453_TMSNt-L.jpg

312712428_hQ3aW-L.jpg

C&C Welcome!

Gotta love that old Concertina Squeeze Box!

clap.gifclap.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    The Lonely Ones at The Parish in Austin
    347019362_Ad3Gu-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2008
    Final concert of the Police @ MSG August 7, 2008. I was in the loges and at quite a distance for my 85mm 1.4D but a few were relatively clear when cropped. Here's one

2753797005_c6c29c1a9e_o.jpg
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    shinymamashinymama Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2008
    Great thread and great pictures! I'm happy this thread is here and I hope to learn from it.
    Shooting bands is my main love and also my main irritation. I don't like to use flash that much and the places I go to see bands are usually dimly light small clubs. In some clubs I am able to bounce flash successfully, but other clubs it's really difficult. I try not to use it too much because it's very irritating for everyone else. I don't want to get into fights when I'm trying to take pictures. :)

I keep on persevering though. I do some PP with these pics and have become fairly good at it. I'm relieved when the pictures need minimal work and they are slowly becoming that way as I become a better photographer.

Here are a few, most shot with my older camera (Rebel 350d) that aren't as nice as the ones my new/old 20D that I've had for a month. I have to make due with the few lenses I have until I can save up for the ones I NEED! :D
    In my arsenal now I have:
    Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - new, haven't used it TOO much yet.
    Sigma EX DG f/3.5 Fisheye - also new..LOVE this lens, I use it way too much.
    and
    Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical - this is the only lens I had for almost 2 years.

Lordgore

70401580_7f789a6304.jpg

Meisce

70146018_e18d1bb735.jpg

The Golden Gods - not the most perfect shot but it's a fave of the band. Me too!

186158176_5685a2af76.jpg

Iceage Cobra

187526620_082657fd10.jpg

Hellbound for Glory

239399434_9e5d3cf0d3.jpg

Helios Creed/Chrome- the trippy projector show really added to this!

534659834_33fae11b52.jpg

Eugene Robinson from Oxbow

1676013762_0c4db1c46c.jpg
  • Options
    HamishHamish Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 14, 2008
    Australian Live Music
    Here are a few photos from Aussie hip hop act TZU:

337788362_FH4Y4-M.jpg

337788363_2QxRU-M.jpg

310621259_3nfTq-M.jpg
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    long time coming!
    I have waited soooo long to shoot a live show and contribute to this thread! The light was just so terrible and I've never shot in this type of venue before so I'm not sure what's expected. Everybody else's shots are so GOOD in this thread!!! Is it user technique or equipment or the lighting which I had no control over? I don't know what I could have done to get better shots besides setting up my own strobes. So any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

From Bearison's debut last night....

(50mm 1.4) 1/80, f1.4, ISO3200
    351649139_oqLrJ-L.jpg

(50mm 1.4) 1/60, f1.4, ISO3200
    351649522_pRWuZ-L.jpg

(17-55 2.8 IS) 1/8, f2.8, ISO 3200
    351648893_tqaxm-L.jpg
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    OhEddieOhEddie Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    Small Venue Bands Rock
    Wow, there sure are a lot of great shots in this thread.

Here are some of mine...

First up - Dixie Dirt

I did some PP on these...

207692159_wWgvE-L.jpg

207692338_84Tu5-L.jpg

207693181_4U3Aq-L.jpg

Anyone ever heard of The Floating Men?

This first one was taken with a 1.3 Meg P&S

36483508_HZprc-L.jpg

Here is David Steele. He plays for Gary Alan & The Floating Men.

36483264_HEjbR-L.jpg

Below is Chris Cottros. He plays for the Men, and darn near everyone in Nashville.

36483489_SNLxx-L.jpg

36483445_65hj5-L.jpg

131794501_L2Y8W-L-1.jpg

This is Floating Men lead singer & songwriter Jeff Holmes.
    174749209_HeysD-L-1.jpg

Jeff with backup singer Andra Moran
    174749373_wJmqa-L.jpg

Well, that's more than enough for now.

Thanks for looking.
    Blessed are those who remain flexible, for they shall not get bent out of shape.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    I have waited soooo long to shoot a live show and contribute to this thread! The light was just so terrible and I've never shot in this type of venue before so I'm not sure what's expected. Everybody else's shots are so GOOD in this thread!!! Is it user technique or equipment or the lighting which I had no control over? I don't know what I could have done to get better shots besides setting up my own strobes. So any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
    It can be SO frustrating, believe me! Just about every weekend I'm out there shooting some band and really trying to get a formula. I find with certain clubs bouncing the flash off the ceiling works GREAT, but those are the tiny places. One other club I have to be in the front by the stage or I'm in trouble. Can't bounce light that well in there because the celings are high. Other clubs I either crank up the ISO or crank it down and do indirect flash. I try to NOT use high ISO because of the noise. I have all the PP software for that but would rather not deal with it.
    A lot of my pics end up super contrasted and arty because of it.
    I'm ok with that. :)
    I don't use a tripod at all. I know it would help but it's just not feasible.

Someday when I can get a killer camera and better lenses it will be easier, but now I struggle. But at least it's teaching me. I also know that it isn't always the camera that makes the pic either. (but it can't hurt!)

I see some truly spectacular photos out there by great people.
    And they ALL have 3+k cameras and 1+k lenses. It's so frustrating for me.
    But I try my best.

Here are a few I did this past Friday night for my friends. They are called "Slave Traitor" and they are metal. ANY constructive critcism is welcomed!

I love this one. The yellow/orange is a bit much but I like the look of it.
    I p'shopped the sweat out of some foreheads but I didn't like it so stuck with the original.
    2769757640_aae9783eb6_b.jpg

Definitely some flash here, but it worked.

2769751904_5efb12c7cd_b.jpg

Yeah, the focus is on the microphone. :)

2768908451_27d0f581d7_b.jpg

Here is the other band "MIco de Noche".
    One of those times when PP is needed desperately and it worked!

2769754202_ddc87557bb_b.jpg

• Options
    davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    hehehe...
    There is no formula = the formula. Lighting is different from club to club and changes from time to time too. You will get a lot or red-yellow in pics as that is the lighting plus there are all those awful red gels that everyone likes to use.

The fun here is getting good pics. I had to ask one bar manager to turn on a few extra sets of Christmas lights above the stage so I could get a tiny bit more light!

A flash suggestion: Don't pop a full flash using TTL as at 0EV this is generally too much light when close to the stage. Dial the flash down between 2 and 3 stops or go to manual and set it to 1/128 or 1/64 power. Use a diffuser, get a StoFen Omnibounce and tape it to your flash for club work. What you are doing here is adding some ambient light to a scene.

I find the matrix metering on my D300 works well but I also shoot Shutter priority so the lens is generally near wide open anyway. I'm saying "Shoot at this speed and devil be damned about the aperature" This results in work being shot in a rage of 40-60/s at F 2.8-4. This is why we want those super bright f 1.4 lenses. For closeups I will use more flash if needed.

My experience says that I only get enough light to really stop motion during outside daylight events on sunny days and at large festivals which have tons of stage lighting.

Cheers,
    David
  • Options
    blprophotoblprophoto Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited August 20, 2008
    Live Concert
    I am A full time music photographer and would love to see a thread dedicated to our art
    Great Idea
    feel free to check out some of my work at [URL="http://www.blprophoto.com I would love some input
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2008
    hehehe...
    There is no formula = the formula. Lighting is different from club to club and changes from time to time too. You will get a lot or red-yellow in pics as that is the lighting plus there are all those awful red gels that everyone likes to use.

The fun here is getting good pics. I had to ask one bar manager to turn on a few extra sets of Christmas lights above the stage so I could get a tiny bit more light!

A flash suggestion: Don't pop a full flash using TTL as at 0EV this is generally too much light when close to the stage. Dial the flash down between 2 and 3 stops or go to manual and set it to 1/128 or 1/64 power. Use a diffuser, get a StoFen Omnibounce and tape it to your flash for club work. What you are doing here is adding some ambient light to a scene.

I find the matrix metering on my D300 works well but I also shoot Shutter priority so the lens is generally near wide open anyway. I'm saying "Shoot at this speed and devil be damned about the aperature" This results in work being shot in a rage of 40-60/s at F 2.8-4. This is why we want those super bright f 1.4 lenses. For closeups I will use more flash if needed.

My experience says that I only get enough light to really stop motion during outside daylight events on sunny days and at large festivals which have tons of stage lighting.

Cheers,
    David

Really awesome tips!!! I honestly wasn't sure if it was "acceptable" to use flash, I don't know, I was worried it would be distracting to the band (shows how clueless I am!) Now that I know it's ok and I'll definitely be using some of the same techniques I use in the dark cave wedding reception action shots! :D I would love, love, love to set up some off camera flashes on lightstands. The band would definitely let me if I asked, so I think that's what I might do. In my exp. with other types of photography, that is way less of a distraction as the flash is not coming from the camera itself. :lynnsite
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    blprophotoblprophoto Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited August 20, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    Really awesome tips!!! I honestly wasn't sure if it was "acceptable" to use flash, I don't know, I was worried it would be distracting to the band (shows how clueless I am!) Now that I know it's ok and I'll definitely be using some of the same techniques I use in the dark cave wedding reception action shots! :D I would love, love, love to set up some off camera flashes on lightstands. The band would definitely let me if I asked, so I think that's what I might do. In my exp. with other types of photography, that is way less of a distraction as the flash is not coming from the camera itself. :lynnsite

When You are working in a bar envioment or a small production flash can usally be used. On full production the artist prefers not to use any flash there is so much that is going on on stage with the performers and Pyro a flash can be very dangerouse if the Perfomer loses his spot or is disorented from the flash. One advatange that I have with my Artist is I have the optunity to photograph their show several times and that allows me to learn parts of the show and where they will be on a certain song or their mannerisuims and how they move when I should to on stage and when to be in the Pit
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2008
    hehehe...
    There is no formula = the formula. Lighting is different from club to club and changes from time to time too.
    This is true to an extent, but at the places I go to the lighting is usually the same every time I go. The only time it changes is when a national act comes through and requests something different. One time the band requested just one bright white light in the middle.. I was SO thankful for that.

I have just started experimenting with my flash. I use an off camera shoe cord with mine so I can bounce and direct a bit better. I am not educated as far as how to use it very well yet but I'm getting there. I did get a diffuser before this last shoot, but it didn't seem to help much. Then again I wasn't thinking too much about what I was doing at the time.
    I've always focused my energy on figuring out how NOT to use flash! I rarely use shutter priority but I will try that out, thanks for the tips good info!

I poked around in your shots and I really like the Dale Watson set, that's the kind of lighting I like. Did you use flash for all of those shots? The other shots I looked at looked like full on flash to me, that's what I try to avoid. I like a more moody shadowy feel.
  • Options
    dgritsdgrits Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    What a cool thread!! Very educational, and entertaining, too!

I have a few, but mine are mostly from long range, taken at an amusement park in our area...

Dan

Ann
    HWA_03.jpg

Nancy
    HWA_02.jpg

Heart
    HWA_01.jpg

Steve Miller
    WA_Steve_Miller.jpg

Steve Miler Band
    WA_Steve_Miller_02.jpg

Toby Mac
    TobyMac_01_d_sm.jpg

Toby Mac and Company
    TobyMac_03_sm.jpg
    "No matter how sophisticated you may be, a large granite mountain cannot be denied - it speaks in silence to the very core of our being."

A. Adams
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2008
    A few from the Police's last concert at MSG

Mr. Copeland working his magic during the last performance of Wrapped Around Your Finger
    471539270_WSQTf-L.jpg

Sting thanking the fans at the end of the concert
    580431742_AhZjQ-L.jpg

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2008
    Patti wrote:

Sting in flight from the NYPD during Message in a Bottle. Seeing the NYPD band on stage was great. They were having a blast.

Mr. Copeland working his magic during the last performance of Wrapped Around Your Finger

2760983486_767b0331a5_b.jpg

Looove this shot!!! You can see Trudy in the "real" front row! Amazing shot under really tough conditions.
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2008
    Bearison live take two.
    three drummers drumming....:D
    357922415_aMw9M-M.jpg

357927552_GG6cg-M.jpg

And something a little more experimental...
    358401894_voRrg-M.jpg
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    Looove this shot!!! You can see Trudy in the "real" front row! Amazing shot under really tough conditions.

Thanks! It was tough getting decent shots. That's Rosanna Arquette who was at the edge of the stage all night long dancing away. She looks like Trudie a bit, doesn't she?

Trudie was much farther back with Springsteen and Patti, Leo DiCaprio (with mum), James Gandolfini and Mickey Dolenz. No Eddie Vedder this time. He sat right behind (our) Andy's wife and me at the Dress Rehearsal in May '07.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    Patti wrote:

2760983486_767b0331a5_b.jpg

Would have given my left arm to be there for that one!!!
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2008
    Flutist wrote:
    Would have given my left arm to be there for that one!!!

I think I did. They may have taken a kidney as well. The tix were a fortune - fundraiser for PBS Channel 13. I'd say PBS is much healthier now than it was last month. rolleyes1.gif Ah well, I was there when they took the stage at the beginning of the tour so I wanted to close the circle. Glad I did. We had such a great time.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    I have enjoyed this thread. I have alway tried taking pics at concerts,but have not been very successful. This year, I have picked up a Sony A-700 and a KM 28-75mm f2.8 lens and this combination has proven to work pretty well. Here are a few I have taken this year.

Wavorly:
    336615353_6q6Lf-L.jpg

Pillar:
    336618310_rm6dy-L.jpg

336618952_Ph2Ey-L.jpg

336617317_fSwmd-L.jpg

336617013_EQqhN-L.jpg

336617203_Pn5XR-L.jpg

NEEDTOBREATHE:
    338727047_yXUBV-L.jpg
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95