Options

One Stop Live Music Thread

Comments

• Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited April 11, 2006
    Wow!!
    How did I ever miss a cool thread like this one? headscratch.gif Could it be that I seldom have anything to contribute to this forum?....Laughing.gif

Anyhow, great thread LeDude thumb.gif and some really nice shots posted clap.gif

I like shooting sports and wildlife. But, I really enjoy shooting concerts iloveyou.gif I have had my gear taken away at enough concerts to be frustrated that I can seldom seem to get a decent camera inside rolleyes1.gif 3rd row seats for Pat Benatar, 6th row seats for the Eagles :cry Sorry, no cameras allowed sir blbl.gif

Anyhow, I'd like to share a few.

Street, or actually a wharf, musician. Shot with the kit lens.
    large.jpg

Bryan Adams - "It was the Summer of '69....uh huh"
    29214514-L.jpg

Def Leppard at sunset (low ISO)
    57128805-L.jpg

Same concert, later in the show (ISO800)
    57133985-L.jpg

If anyone is interested in viewing the Def Leppard shots LARGE click here and select O (Original) viewing size.

FWIW, the Byran Adams and Def Leppard shots were captured using the Sigma 70-200 F2.8.

Again, kewl thread and outstanding pics guys thumb.gifclap.gifthumb.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    NordicNordic Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2006
    Great pics, Steve!

Some more from me:
    41757400-L.jpg

41757687-L.jpg

More to come on Sunday, when we go to Trashcanned and Torture Squad,
    And, please whish me luck for Tuesday, when I SHOULD be able to get a presscard for Sonata Arctica and DORO!!!! ylsuper.gif

Regards,
    Andreas
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2006
    Up close. Appropriately-named Melody was the first mate on our ship last week:

64043834-L.jpg

A street performer and his companion, Key West Florida
    126608961_c1fd11b923_o.jpg
  • Options
    TheEventGuyTheEventGuy Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited April 12, 2006
    BB King
    Hi All,

Just wanted to add my 2 cents, I love concert and music photography, haven't figured out how insert my stuff in the forum, but for what it's worth I was photographing BB King last week, I've just started adding the images up online to my account. Online one there right now, but there's a bunch to go up, I hope you like them.

http://www.eventsplusphotos.com/gallery/1357364/1/64156300/Small

Regards

T.
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2006
    Hi All,

Hi.
    ... haven't figured out how insert my stuff in the forum...

start here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=18703

for example, you can use http://eventsplus.smugmug.com/photos/64156300-M.jpg to post this:
    64156300-M.jpg
  • Options
    LeDudeLeDude Registered Users Posts: 501 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    To both Steves, the first pics are real cool... I love the grit of the first in SteveC's (and that it's a street performer.... I'm jealous, I'd love to have that in my collection - is it possible to set a white point to bring out a lil' more contrast?)

Nordic, well... I'm not a metal kind of guy, but I think your second shot is solid; really, it's better than solid, it's tight - really pulls together a lot of elements I think make a great live show shot (angle, instrument, lighting...)

a little aside: any viewers of this thread from DC?
    We are the music-makers; and we are the dreamers of dreams.
    ... come along.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    LE DUDE, NORDIC and all others shooting events, ESPECIALLY THE NEW COMERS:

I left something vitally important out of my first story about my celeb shooting......if you ahve advance notice of the event (30 - 45 days)...make contact with the management company asking permission to shoot.....I also let them know I wasn't wanting to FREELOAD the event I always bought a ticket to show support for the artist performers, even if I did not care for their type of music...it just seemed to make it easier to get those passes.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited April 13, 2006
    STEVE, NORDIC, STEVEN & THE EVENT GUY......

ALL PICS thumb.gif THESE ARE GRREAT!!!
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    FatNakedGuyFatNakedGuy Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    SoCal checking in.

I've been shooting for four months now and have shot a few celebrity bands, a music awards show, and have had photos published in magazines and newspapers. I own a flash but don't know how to use it.. Everything is natural lighting up to this point. I'll always ask permission before a show so that there are no hassles afterward.

I learned a MAJOR lesson this past weekend when shooting a music awards show in LA. ALWAYS HAVE A BACKUP PLAN! There I was happily clicking away when suddenly I noticed the images being soft in the viewfinder. Eventually I figured out that AutoFocus stopped working and I had to switch to manual for the rest of the evening. PITA!! At least the camera didn't fail completely and I was able to get the shots required. phew!

I'm really loving this new hobby and look forward to checking back into this message board for tips, etc!

Some of my photos can be viewed at the following URL. I'm lazy so all of the images are direct out of the camera (one day I'll get into Photoshop or whatever).

http://rickweller.com/music

Rick
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited April 14, 2006
    LeDude wrote:
    To both Steves, the first pics are real cool... I love the grit of the first in SteveC's (and that it's a street performer.... I'm jealous, I'd love to have that in my collection - is it possible to set a white point to bring out a lil' more contrast?)

Nordic, well... I'm not a metal kind of guy, but I think your second shot is solid; really, it's better than solid, it's tight - really pulls together a lot of elements I think make a great live show shot (angle, instrument, lighting...)

a little aside: any viewers of this thread from DC?

LeDude,
    Thanks for your comments thumb.gif That street performer shot was among my first with the 20D (hence the kit lens). I never went back and applied any of the post processing tips I have accumulated over the last 18 months.

How's this version?
    64479998-L.jpg

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2006
    It's been a while since I've posted anything on here...but I've def. been lurking at some of everyone's great pics!

I was fortunate enough to attend a concert at my friends church featuring Koo Chung, Jinny Kim and David Cho.

www.koochung.com
    www.jinnykim.com

They're a bit on the Christian rock side and excellent performers. They provided me with my first chance to shoot a concert with my Digital Rebel XT and 50mm 1.8. Of course I wish I had a 200mm 2.8...but I think I made out ok with what I had.

Here are a couple of my best. I wish I could have been on the ground while shooting. I probably could have framed some of these better.

David
    64514717-L-1.jpg

Koo
    64513263-L-2.jpg

Jinny and Koo
    64516727-L-1.jpg

64516590-L-2.jpg

64513830-L-1.jpg

64513353-L-1.jpg

Next week....Syd( www.sydband.com ) and the week after...ALO. Stay tuned.

Thanks for looking
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2006
    How's this version?

Steve
    Steve, looks good! The sharpening definitely helps... here's a version where I've tried to get some more distinct contrast going:
    64541345-L.jpg

I've really been trying to improve my b&w work lately, so this is just a minor tweak that's been on my mind for my own shots. (defined a curve just by picking 'white point' and selecting a light portion of the man's shirt) The shots on your site are impressive. Like "B&W version of Retouche workfile" - wow...

---
    Firedancing,

Ain't it nice to get the serious gear into a show :):...

I like the second ("Koo") the most. I tried a crop on it, starting just right of the light switch and ending just above/right of that lighting thing.

good looking all.

peace-love-music,
    Rich
    ... come along.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,932 moderator
    edited April 16, 2006
    And now for something completely different
    Hey guys,

Rich posted a comment on a pic of a violinist I have posted in the People forum and mentioned this thread. Glad he did. thumb.gifthumb There's some awesome stuff here, and I loved reading Art's war stories. My rock 'n' roll days are long behind me. The only concerts I attend are operas, and photography is strictly forbidden there. But I do a lot of street shooting, so I thought I might post a few shots.

These people don't play no rock 'n' roll:

64662015-L.jpg

Neither do these:

64662045-L.jpg

This last one is techically terrible, I know. Shot with a P&S when I didn't much of a clue about either camera settings or post processing. Still, it's an old favorite.

64661959-L.jpg

Looking forward to seeing more pics on this thread.

Cheers,
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2006
    Oh but they do "rock & roll" in their own ways.

Great shotsthumb.gif

• Options
    spider-tspider-t Registered Users Posts: 443 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2006
    Street Musician
    Not such a rock 'n' roller here either. I took this a few months ago in Chinatown, San Francisco. Back before the rain (rain rain that is driving me CRAZY!!)

Not sure what he's playing but he was cool.

52062851-M.jpg

-Trish
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2006
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Hey guys,

64662015-L.jpg

Was this at Plaza Mayor? Cool shot btw.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,932 moderator
    edited April 16, 2006
    Was this at Plaza Mayor? Cool shot btw.
    Thanks. Yep. I live nearby and go there frequently. It's a different show every time.

Cheers,
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2006
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Thanks. Yep. I live nearby and go there frequently. It's a different show every time.

Sweet! I knew I recognized the stone wall. My brother studied abroad in Spain for a year and the family and I went to visit him twice last year.
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2006
    spider-t wrote:
    Not sure what he's playing but he was cool.
    -Trish

I believe that's a Gaohu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaohu), but there are similar asian/oriental instruments that it might also be.

Very cool street shots all (even the technically poor :):)

LeDude Projects is in renovations mode. Hopefully, I'll soon have a more advanced platform for promotions as well as photos.

I am a bit concerned though over the fact that my live shots have been not-quite-so-hot lately. Maybe I've just plateaud and my expectations have grown? ne_nau.gif

Anyway, I hope to have some killer shots to post soon!

-Rich
    ... come along.
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 19, 2006
    Neat idea for a thread. Shooting low light in music settings can be a pain in the butt. Here are a few of my favorites.

Live from the Crooked Road
    63609422-M.jpg

Clann and Drumma/Albannach
    40329005-M.jpg

Enter the Haggis
    52319256-M.jpg

http://docwalker.smugmug.com/Music
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2006
    1 of 2
    4 months into this hobby so go easy! rolleyes1.gif

Denise Carrejo
    denise.jpg

Drunken Monkeys
    47730984-L1.jpg

Nothing Lost
    54049339-L.jpg

Shari Puorto
    55172538-L.jpg

Led Zepagain
    59423902-L.jpg

Lt. Dan Band
    62303559-M.jpg

62544248-L.jpg

Graceland Mafia
    graceland.jpg

http://rickweller.com
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2006
    2 of 2
    Powder
    64873273-L.jpg

Powder
    64873780-L.jpg

Bayadera
    RJW_9109-01a.jpg

Broomfiller
    RJW_9421-01a.jpg

Broomfiller
    RJW_9430-0a1.jpg

Scarlets Crush
    RJW_9260-01.jpg

Supe
    64875407-L.jpg

Timothy John Ramirez
    tim.jpg

http://rickweller.com
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2006
    Rick, great shots, congratulations! :)

Here are some from this Sunday. They are not very good, it was nearly impossible to get shutter speeds above 1/50s as the lightning in the venue was very very bad, and it was a small stage without a photopit, so I had to stand in the crowd. Well, I tried my best... ne_nau.gif

The first ones are from Torture Squad, a trashmetal band from Brazil. I've heard that they are very popular there, but here in Europe noone knows them. The were technically perfect, absolut awesome musicians, but their playing style was a bit too fast for my liking.
    65238199-L.jpg

Torture Squad

65238225-L.jpg

Torture Squad

They were supported by our friends of Trashcanned which you know by now because I always post so many pictures of them. :) Yes, the ones with the girl. :):
    They played their first small tour as support band for Torture Squad. For me, they were a lot better than the headliner.

65238348-L.jpg

Trashcanned

65238428-L.jpg

Trashcanned

Hope you liked them!
    I'm now sorting through the pictures of Doro and Sonata Arctica from this Thuesday. :)

Regards,
    Andreas

• Options
    kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2006
    I guess Elvis impersonators count? He can actually sing...Laughing.gif By the way, it wasn't MY idea to go see him...it was my wife.

This is my pre-D200 days with the D70 and 50mm f/1.8 If I remember correctly, I was using spot metering.

51978977-L.jpg

51978976-M.jpg

51978979-M.jpg

51978969-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2006
    kygarden wrote:
    I guess Elvis impersonators count? He can actually sing...Laughing.gif By the way, it wasn't MY idea to go see him...it was my wife.

This is my pre-D200 days with the D70 and 50mm f/1.8 If I remember correctly, I was using spot metering.

51978969-M.jpg

Did Andy Kaufman just say "Thank you very much." ?

It's not a music thread until Elvis impersonators make an appearancelol3.gif
    And I don't believe the wife-made-me-go excuse got used... the intrepid-photographer-documenting-a-hilarious-aspect-of-American-culture is far superior :D

I need to go out tonight, I'm feelin' punchy.

-Rich
    ... come along.
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2006
    kygarden wrote:

51978969-M.jpg

Nice pictures, but I love the last one! :)

Regards,
    Andreas
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2006
    This Thuesday, my wife had the opportunity to photograph a concert we had been looking forward to for many months: DORO!

Maybe some of you know her, she is an outstanding artist and vocalist, and the most well known female musician in heavy metal music. Her first band was Warlock, founded in 1983, which is still known as one of the best speedmetal bands ever.

The energy and charisma of this woman, after more than 20 years in the music business, are unbelievable. Pictures can never capture even 10% of her power and magic. As always, Vienna loved her and it was a fantastic show - even if the sound was not that good.

Her music is with me and my wife for over 10 years of our relationship, and means a lot for us. It was there when we got to know each other, it was there in the deepest of shadow and despair a year ago, and it is there now, as we made it through that crises together and alive.
    65387522-L.jpg

65387679-L.jpg

65390163-L.jpg

Regards,
    Andreas
  • Options
    Rab-CilbupRab-Cilbup Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2006
    Excellent shots - I used to be a big Warlock fan.
    mark kennedy
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2006
    It's not Warlock...but here....rolleyes1.gif

Syd, Patrick Thomas, and Todd Hannigan.

66046978-L-1.jpg

66162985-L-2.jpg

66048141-L-2.jpg

66047745-L-1.jpg

Lighting was absolutely crap....one red light was dominant over the whole stage. Very dim.

Cool club...Rock-It-Room, SF.
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2006
    Image Removed... Replaced With This Link To The Updated Version

I'm breaking my no-post of paid artists rule just this once for feedback purposes. (I doubt he'll mind, he and his followers were extremely eager for me to take many photos and they've yet to ask for copies ??)

Anyway, I like the negative space and selective lighting of his face but am curious to know the dgrinner consensus on how to improve the shot. In other words, how do I make the unlit areas work best to emphasize the lit areas and emotion of Brandon here. I'm considering blacking out the background entirely. I'd like to kill some of the mic brightness, but I want that it is a mic clearly visible-how to strike a balance?

Any suggestions?

And, oh yeah... I hate switching to sRGB from Adobe RGB... it always seems to break my yellow/orange/reds into super-saturated reds (hue adjustment applied to this one). DAMN! its annoying.

peace,
    Rich
    ... come along.