NordicNordic Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2006
    It's not Warlock...but here....rolleyes1.gif

Syd, Patrick Thomas, and Todd Hannigan.

66046978-L-1.jpg

66162985-L-2.jpg

66048141-L-2.jpg

66047745-L-1.jpg

Lighting was absolutely crap....one red light was dominant over the whole stage. Very dim.

Cool club...Rock-It-Room, SF.

Very nice shots! clap.gif
    Yes, this looks like there really wasn't much light. At least these guys don't move that much... :):

Regards,
    Andreas
  • Options
    NordicNordic Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2006
    Rab-Cilbup wrote:
    Excellent shots - I used to be a big Warlock fan.

Hehe, now, that is cool! At least someone here knows what I'm talking about! :):

Regards,
    Andreas
  • Options
    LeDudeLeDude Registered Users Posts: 501 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2006
    great pics all clap.gif

OSLMT has become a people's favorite, trailing only Favorite Engagements Photos, Hot Cowgirls & Erotic Arts Festivals in views... hmmm, there seems to be a trend in Dgrinning favorite threads:D
    We are the music-makers; and we are the dreamers of dreams.
    ... come along.
  • Options
    Rab-CilbupRab-Cilbup Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited April 27, 2006
    >Hehe, now, that is cool! At least someone here knows what I'm talking about! :):

Nice pics of Sonata Artica (I've got most of their CD's) and Pain as well btw - I was lucky enough to see Savatage with Criss Oliva not long before he was killed - Overkill were supporting them as well so it was a great night out.

I really need to get hold of an f1.8 lens I think.

Oh and found out yesterday that the Marillion pic I posted on an earlier page has been used (along with another) in the fan club magazine. It has around 3000 subscribers so I'm quite pleased :):
    mark kennedy
  • Options
    firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2006
    Hey dgrinners! I am post processing some of my pics from the ALO show in SF. The light was totally dim and red. What does everyone recommend for white balance in concert situtations? I'll post them soon.
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2006
    Hey dgrinners! I am post processing some of my pics from the ALO show in SF. The light was totally dim and red. What does everyone recommend for white balance in concert situtations? I'll post them soon.
    i'm sure there are better approaches than mine, but I usually play with the base settings (e.g. Flurescant, Incandescant) and then fine tune until I find something I like. Obviously with a lot of red your a looking to cool off the shots, it's really just a matter of how much. Don't always try and eliminate red either... go with the flow. I figure if there actually was that much red light, then there's nothing wrong with having the finished photo looking like there was a lot of red light. (it's like Jordan, you ain't tryin to stop it, just contain it)

hope this helps,

Rich
    ... come along.
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2006
    LeDude wrote:
    i'm sure there are better approaches than mine, but I usually play with the base settings (e.g. Flurescant, Incandescant) and then fine tune until I find something I like. Obviously with a lot of red your a looking to cool off the shots, it's really just a matter of how much. Don't always try and eliminate red either... go with the flow. I figure if there actually was that much red light, then there's nothing wrong with having the finished photo looking like there was a lot of red light. (it's like Jordan, you ain't tryin to stop it, just contain it)

hope this helps,

Rich

makes sense...that's what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure if anyone else had a different techinque. I personally think it looks sort of cool with the red tone....pics to come.....
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2006
    ALO at 12 Galaxies, San Francisco, CA.

I was on the left of the stage....very energetic crowd. First time for me seeing ALO live. I missed them in Vegoose last year. Awesome band...awesome jams...just a great time in a cool intimate setting. Here are some of my shots. I wish I had something a little wider than my 50mm for this concert. I found myself TOO close this time. hahaha.

More at my gallery.

66870022-L-1.jpg

66872512-L-1.jpg

66874523-L-1.jpg

66873527-L-1.jpg

66875184-L-1.jpg

66875872-L-1.jpg
    I got the elusive drummer...lol

66877369-L-1.jpg

66877948-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2006
    that last one is top notch clap.gif

solid set of shots, bravo
    ... come along.
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2006
    LeDude wrote:
    that last one is top notch clap.gif

solid set of shots, bravo

Thanks man...I was practically on my knees for that last one...even with the elevated stage. People started thinning out towards the end...it was probably 90 degrees in there and i had a lovely strap mark of sweat from my camera over my back. I had a chance to spread out and back up at that point.
  • Options
    FatNakedGuyFatNakedGuy Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2006
    A very cool up and coming artist I ran across the other night at the Knitting Factory in Hollywood.

Ladies and Gentlemen may I present... AM

http://amsounds.com

66655327-L.jpg

66655124-L.jpg

66654554-L.jpg

More photos of the show at: http://rickweller.com/music
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2006
    Nordic wrote:
    This Thuesday, my wife had the opportunity to photograph a concert we had been looking forward to for many months: DORO!

Maybe some of you know her, she is an outstanding artist and vocalist, and the most well known female musician in heavy metal music. Her first band was Warlock, founded in 1983, which is still known as one of the best speedmetal bands ever.

The energy and charisma of this woman, after more than 20 years in the music business, are unbelievable. Pictures can never capture even 10% of her power and magic. As always, Vienna loved her and it was a fantastic show - even if the sound was not that good.

Her music is with me and my wife for over 10 years of our relationship, and means a lot for us. It was there when we got to know each other, it was there in the deepest of shadow and despair a year ago, and it is there now, as we made it through that crises together and alive.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Great shots....I have several CD's of Warlock and Doro solo's...most of which I have to have special ordered from European suppliers....and a signed poster from the "Doro" CD tour........
    Man that woman can sing.....
    Great shots keep'em comin'
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2006
    BlackBook Sessions (Open Mic Nights) hosted by The Chapter Crew in LV
    There's a hiphop band here called The Chapter Crew, which incorporates a live band with emcee'ing and DJ'ing, they're real dope. But they also promote local talent shows in order to help the hip hop and other music communities grow.

These images are my first time experience doing photography for a small concert, so bare with me wave.gif. But I think I did a pretty decent job with the low lighting and problems focusing (well not really with the F828 rolleyes1.gif). In the beginning I started with normal metering, but it got a little dull to me, it showed very little emotion or energy, so then I began increasing the shutter speed to give it a little more 'oomph'.

Tell me what you guys think:

DSC06122.jpg

DSC06123.jpg

DSC06189.jpg

DSC06287.jpg

DSC06172.jpg

DSC06312.jpg

More here:

http://pnoise.com/thirdeye/v/Events/BlackBook4-29-06/
  • Options
    fire1035fire1035 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2006
    Eight pages and not a single piper. You people should be ashamed of yourselves. This is one from the Union Hall open house during the Fire Department Instructor's Conference here in Indianapolis last week. My wife took the picture with my 20D. Self is the one in the green hat, my best buddy Carter is the one in the blue hat. This is probably the best week of the year. We start playing on Wednesday morning and don't wuit until well into Friday night/ Saturday morning. Lots of fun and a great opportunity for 20,000 some firemen to just let go of it all once in a great while!
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2006
    Peas,
    I'm trying to figure out how you got such crisp and well-lit shots but still have the light trails so prominent. In general, I think the light trails are ughh, ruining your shots-sorry, just being honest. I can't figure how it's happening...ne_nau.gif
    On the positive side, I think the light-trail (maybe more of a light-ghost) on the guitarist shot works! It's definitely a cool shot and the 'ghosting' gives it the action feel I think you were looking for. So, I guess the moral is that this effect needs to be controlled and put to good use!
    I like the hip-hop + band mix... it's really only repped by The Roots on the national scene but it's growing steady on the local level. My prognostication is that it'll hit hard nationally within the decade (maybe within five years?)

fire1035,
    muchos gracias for fixing this thread's piperlessness :D
    nice shot; I hope to see more !

-LeDude
    ... come along.
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2006
    I'd like to make a single post with links to a bunch of y'alls musical galleries. If you're interested, PM a link to your music gallery, category or, if you're like me and have a site almost entirely devoted to music just send me a link to your homepage.

peace,
    LeDude
    ... come along.
  • Options
    illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2006
    Some photos I took of a friend's band.
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.
  • Options
    illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2006
    One more....
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2006
    LeDude wrote:
    Peas,
    I'm trying to figure out how you got such crisp and well-lit shots but still have the light trails so prominent. In general, I think the light trails are ughh, ruining your shots-sorry, just being honest. I can't figure how it's happening...ne_nau.gif
    On the positive side, I think the light-trail (maybe more of a light-ghost) on the guitarist shot works! It's definitely a cool shot and the 'ghosting' gives it the action feel I think you were looking for. So, I guess the moral is that this effect needs to be controlled and put to good use!
    I like the hip-hop + band mix... it's really only repped by The Roots on the national scene but it's growing steady on the local level. My prognostication is that it'll hit hard nationally within the decade (maybe within five years?)

I'm with Rich on this one...how'd you do that??!?!?! I think it's sorta cool.
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2006
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2006
    LeDude wrote:
    Peas,

-LeDude

To speak of The Roots, they actually discovered The Chapter this past year. Questlove is featured in their debut album and they opened for The Roots several times in their tour.

Also, this was my first time shooting at a concert. I really didnt know what to expect. I think I've learned from that first experience though. I think I'll try some diff settings in mind next time, something not as prominent with the ghost-blurring as the ones I took now, but a little less. Also I learned I can control the amount of blurring occuring and where I want it to go by simply dragging the camera a little opposite of the direction I want it to blur. I'll try it next time. The group liked it though, which is good. I was afriad my first experience with a concert would come out disastrous. I'll try to do better myself next time though. Thanks for your input.
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2006
    I'm with Rich on this one...how'd you do that??!?!?! I think it's sorta cool.

Flash man, a little bit of flash thumb.gif
  • Options
    SpagbagSpagbag Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited May 4, 2006
    Oh my, I loooove this.

62544248-L.jpg
  • Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2006
    heres one of my jazz contributions... this kid was amazing on the keys, only 16 too.

67560138-L-1.jpg
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    juliejulesjuliejules Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2006
    New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival (4 pics)
    Last weekend's New Orlean's Jazz Festival was fantastic! The attendance was way more than organizers expected, which is great for New Orleans, but hard for fans to get close to the bigger acts. Here are a couple of pictures. You can see the whole gallery here, which is a small subset of all shots I took. I'd appreciate any and all feedback.

I used my 70-200mm F2.8L most of the time. I also added a 1.4x TC sometimes, like for Keb' Mo' below.

Here's Keb Mo:
    67771685-L.jpg

Here's Terrence Simiem:
    67771768-L.jpg

Here's Beau Soleil:
    67772045-L.jpg

Here's Mahogany Brass Band:
    67774248-L.jpg

Thanks for looking!
    --juliejules
    http://www.juliejules.com
    Canon 70D, Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS, Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L, Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM, Canon Ext 1.4x II, SpeedLite 430EX
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2006
    Dan,

Nice post. My favorite of the bunch.

Juliejules,

clap.gif Thanks for sharing.

I am ridiculously jealous... I wanna go to NO:cry

---

I am going through some shots from last night... there was decent lighting and so I experimented with sspeeds of 1/20-1/30 (instead of my std 1/15-1/20). My goodness what a difference. The percentage of sharp shots is at least a three fold improvement, if not more.

I think I've got some goodins and I've got some new ideas for post-processin, so here's hopin' they turn out well!

peace all,
    Rich
    ... come along.
  • Options
    Rab-CilbupRab-Cilbup Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited May 5, 2006
    Here's one of my blurred shots :

63086497-M.jpg

From what I remember, this was because I accidentally switched the timer on and moved the camera while it was taking the photo.
    mark kennedy
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2006
    juliejules wrote:
    Last weekend's New Orlean's Jazz Festival was fantastic! The attendance was way more than organizers expected, which is great for New Orleans, but hard for fans to get close to the bigger acts. Here are a couple of pictures. You can see the whole gallery here, which is a small subset of all shots I took. I'd appreciate any and all feedback.

I used my 70-200mm F2.8L most of the time. I also added a 1.4x TC sometimes, like for Keb' Mo' below.

Here's Keb Mo:
    67771685-L.jpg

Here's Terrence Simiem:
    67771768-L.jpg

Here's Beau Soleil:
    67772045-L.jpg

Here's Mahogany Brass Band:
    67774248-L.jpg

Thanks for looking!

WHERE IS DAVE!!!!!!!

nice pics!
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2006
    I've got about half the photos from Thursday processed. See 'em here. (The first three rows are new)

I've put a lot more of my attention on temperature in this group of shots. Messing with the white balance poses an interesting dilemma though: when a white shirt (or other object) is pink from lighting, should I make it white or bring it to the pink I saw live? I wavered on this question in the above shots, usually trying to find what happened to look best for the particular shot.

As always critique is welcomed and appreciated.

good shooting all,
    Rich
    ... come along.
  • Options
    SpeshulEdSpeshulEd Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2006
    I was so excited yesterday because I thought I'd finally be able to contribute to this thread with some pictures, but I wasn't so lucky.

I saw a band that I was sure allowed photography last night, only the venue wasn't keen on the idea. Apparently the band had said no "flash" photography, which the venue relayed as "No Photography" - I asked to talk to the tour manager, no luck, and was basically told it was too late to get a photo pass. I then tried to plea bargain with security, but they weren't having it once they saw my camera was more that just a P&S. I was told that if I even took it out of my bag that I wouldn't see it again. :cry

So my submission will have to wait until the next show I go to.

I do have a question for you guys...have you ever been told you couldn't take photos and then still did it? Just tried to be stealthy - keep moving so the guards don't catch you as your snapping pictures?

My other hobby is audio taping concerts...and on some occasions I've hid all my gear on my body, mics in my hat, and stood still like a human tripod trying to record the concert. Just wondering if there's any stealth photogs out there?
    bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
    Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM