Options

One Stop Live Music Thread

Comments

• Options
    LeDudeLeDude Registered Users Posts: 501 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2006
    SpeshulEd wrote:
    From 2004? I was there that year too!

Same here... J. Brown and the Soul Generals, North Mississippi All Stars, Grateful Dead closed out the weekend...

way to keep 'er alive, I should I have some more to post b/f long... I'd love to see others' processing experience/tips as applied to music photos
    We are the music-makers; and we are the dreamers of dreams.
    ... come along.
  • Options
    gneufeldgneufeld Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited June 11, 2006
    That's my boy.
    I am just trying to learn more about indoor shooting. This is with my 70-200 L. Much unsharp was used. I used a monopod the next night and things went better but am having difficulty choosing settings for the lighting.
  • Options
    firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2006
    2006.06.11 - Alice 97.3 Summerthing - Cake, O.A.R. & Missy Higgins at Golden Gate Park.

It's been a while....concert season is here....

It was a foggy/cloudy day at the park...but what do you expect. Probably some of my favorite concert pics with my canon.

74909923-L-1.jpg

74913318-L-1.jpg

74915228-L-1.jpg

74908646-L-1.jpg

74911165-L-1.jpg

74911856-L-1.jpg

74914068-L-1.jpg

74914700-L-1.jpg

74915728-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2006
    gneufeld wrote:
    I am just trying to learn more about indoor shooting. This is with my 70-200 L. Much unsharp was used. I used a monopod the next night and things went better but am having difficulty choosing settings for the lighting.

What settings did you use for the shot you posted 'That's My Boy'?
    ... come along.
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2006
    LeDude wrote:
    What settings did you use for the shot you posted 'That's My Boy'?

1/125 F 3.2 -1 1/3 ISO 1600 200 mm Did not shoot in RAW. My card was almost full.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2006
    I don't think he would mind
    Terry Evans sings blue. He made a stop in Charleston, SC. Not a big concert hall, a friendly downtown bar named Cumberlands....you all come, it is a good place and camera friendly!

For a blues singer, he was/is a happy man! Wonderful voice, too.

74356244-L.jpg

74356292-L.jpg

74430269-L.jpg

I was working at very low light and no flash, so my DOF was non existent.
    Hence, I was constantly NOT getting his very expressive hands. Towards
    the end, I just focused on the hands......?

74428756-L.jpg

I don't get to go to many music events, so this was a real treat. And I am enjoying this thread.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2006
    gneufeld wrote:
    1/125 F 3.2 -1 1/3 ISO 1600 200 mm Did not shoot in RAW. My card was almost full.
    Getting closer (I'm assuming you were fairly far away) and shorter than 200mm I think would help. I generally operate at 1/30 now and I'm often fairly close to the action with an 85mm. This is not always possible and your circumstances may not have allowed for this, but it is important to get in reasonably close and in a position to steady yourself.

I started writing a more technical reply, but it quickly became very complicated. In rough terms, it is a geometric reality that the further a photographer is from their subject, the more a photographer's movement impacts sharpness. The inverse is also true (the further the subject is from the photographer, the less a subject's movement impacts sharpness) from a geometric point of view, but not optically. So, focal length becomes important and the longer the focal length, the more the movement of either subject or photographer impacts sharpness.

It's a good picture, but if you are looking for a lower ISO, better clarity, etc., you'll need to get better tickets or a back stage pass mwink.gif.

I hope this helps.

regards,
    LeDude

[edit: Ginger! You posted as I was writing this... excellent work! Looks like it was a fun show.]
    ... come along.
  • Options
    SpeshulEdSpeshulEd Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2006
    74428756-S.jpg

Ginger, I like this picture a lot. I might have cropped the left side a bit, but I love the focus on the hand. It works great in the series.
    bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
    Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2006
    LeDude wrote:
    Getting closer (I'm assuming you were fairly far away) and shorter than 200mm I think would help. I generally operate at 1/30 now and I'm often fairly close to the action with an 85mm. This is not always possible and your circumstances may not have allowed for this, but it is important to get in reasonably close and in a position to steady yourself.

I started writing a more technical reply, but it quickly became very complicated. In rough terms, it is a geometric reality that the further a photographer is from their subject, the more a photographer's movement impacts sharpness. The inverse is also true (the further the subject is from the photographer, the less a subject's movement impacts sharpness) from a geometric point of view, but not optically. So, focal length becomes important and the longer the focal length, the more the movement of either subject or photographer impacts sharpness.

It's a good picture, but if you are looking for a lower ISO, better clarity, etc., you'll need to get better tickets or a back stage pass mwink.gif.

I hope this helps.

regards,
    LeDude

[edit: Ginger! You posted as I was writing this... excellent work! Looks like it was a fun show.]

LeDude,

As usual, you can be counted on for advice. Keeping it simple for me is appreciated and it all makes good sense. I did get closer the next night and combined with the mono (my tri-pod with one leg extended) the shots were clearer. I'll continue to experiment with settings while keeping the above under control.

Thanks, Glenn
  • Options
    rbsmithrbsmith Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited June 13, 2006
    I'm new here. I thought I would post a few of some local (NE Miss) musicians:
    This is my son playing in a benefit concert for my daughters school:
    63597470-L.jpg

Here are a couple of my pastor playing in the same concert:
    63597475-L.jpg
    63597478-L.jpg

And finally my daughters school principal:
    56117823-L.jpg

56117828-L.jpg
    musicians
    musician's
    Mauritians
    musician
    musings
    Edit...
    Revert to "mucisians"
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2006
    rbsmith wrote:
    I'm new here. I thought I would post a few of some local (NE Miss) musicians:[...]
    musicians
    musician's
    Mauritians
    musician
    musings
    Edit...
    Revert to "mucisians"
    I think 1,3 & 5 are strong... but that #1 is definitely a killer shot. That yellow LEAPS out at ya. clap.gif
    ... come along.
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited June 13, 2006
    Crops and re-edits...
    I went back and re-did some of my concert shots. I tried to get some tighter looks and better composition. Also looking to concentrate on shots with good facial expressions. I think these look OK, but would appreciate any C&Cs anyone wishes to offer :D

These are converted RAWs that were only sharpened at full crop size.

Guitar me....lol
    74102824-L.jpg

http://freezeframephotography.smugmug.com/photos/74102824-O.jpg

At sunset
    74030103-L.jpg

http://freezeframephotography.smugmug.com/photos/74030103-O.jpg

More of a singer than a guitar player. But I like his expression and the side lighting :D and the veins sticking out of his head....lol
    73035662-L.jpg

http://freezeframephotography.smugmug.com/photos/73035662-O.jpg

Sorry, that I don't have anything new. Haven't shot much in the last few months :cry

Keep this thread alive and rockin' clap.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    Rab-CilbupRab-Cilbup Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited June 14, 2006
    I must get round to doing that with some of my shots, I tend to just bung everything that I have up willy nilly rather than just concentrating on making and picking 10 or so really top notch pictures.
    mark kennedy
  • Options
    SpagbagSpagbag Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited June 14, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Cant let the thread die.

These are from the Smash Festival here last year (punk smash up derby if you like)

Been invited back to shoot it again this year but date isnt set.

What a fantastic set. :D All the more so for the fact that you were in the moshpit!
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2006
    Spagbag wrote:
    What a fantastic set. :D All the more so for the fact that you were in the moshpit!

Tks Spagbag..easy when you are bigger 'n uglier than anything else in there rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    judahjudah Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2006
    Hi all,
    this MUST be my thread! I work with music for a living (sort of...) so I like music photos a lot.
    Last night I shot a friend of mine in my kitchen. Not exactly live music (as in front of an audience) but music nonetheless.....

75633652-L.jpg

75633651-L.jpg

75633650-L.jpg

Cheers! :):

J.
    Amazing grace! How sweet the sound
    That saved a wretch like me!
    I once was lost, but now am found;
    Was blind, but now I see.

http://judah.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited June 15, 2006
    Judah,
    Your links are bad ne_nau.gif So no piccy's rolleyes1.gif

Right click your pic, select properties from the dropdown menu, copy the url, return to your message and select Insert Image, then paste the url :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2006
    Judah,
    Your links are bad ne_nau.gif So no piccy's rolleyes1.gif

Right click your pic, select properties from the dropdown menu, copy the url, return to your message and select Insert Image, then paste the url :D

Steve

Hi Steve,
    thanks for the hint. I think everything is right now. :):

Cheers.

J.

• Options
    edited June 16, 2006
    Punks at the Jube

30628648-M.jpg

30641003-M.jpg

30798833-M.jpg

30914450-M.jpg

30982981-M.jpg

31261087-M.jpg

32184577-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2006
    gus! that first photo rips... a great example of how 'bad' lighting can work well in live music photography... ominous ylsuper.gif
    ... come along.
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2006
    LeDude wrote:
    gus! that first photo rips... a great example of how 'bad' lighting can work well in live music photography... ominous ylsuper.gif
    Ta mate....ive learnt so much that 90% is in the processing from RAW to Jpeg.
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Tks Spagbag..easy when you are bigger 'n uglier than anything else in there rolleyes1.gif

Well, from shot #20 it would seem that either:

(a) the 3 subjects were elevated
    or
    (b) you are only 2cm tall. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2006
    Have had a good day today !

Finally got round to ordering my Canon 50mm 1.8 EF which I should get at the start of next week.

..and, I've been emailing back and forth with some old friends of mine from Aberdeen (Scotland, where I used to live) about going to this rock festival next year - www.progpoweruk.com - anyway, the gig has an online forum and I posted a question about cameras being allowed.

Shortly after this I found another post confirming that only digital compacts etc were permitted, definitely no
    SLR's ne_nau.gif

I didn't moan but I followed up my original post saying that I'd found the info anyway. To cut a long story short, next thing I know I have an email from one of the organisers saying that if I buy a ticket (which I was obviously going to do anyway) he'll sort me out with a proper photo pass as long as they can have first refusal on the shots.

Am well chuffed, especially as they already have some very good official shooters :):

So I'll be looking for some tips (arrgh, help !) headscratch.gif

....and finally, got my copy of the new Marillion Fan Club Mag and they *had* used one of my photos :

63001543-S.jpg

Again, am pleased as it's an old one taken with the Fuji S5000 (before I got the 350d) and to be honest it's not a patch on some of the stuff I've done since.
    mark kennedy
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2006
    Got the Canon lens yesterday, love it - the DOF is narrower than a narrow thing that's had a couple of inches shaved off it to make it even narrower though isn't it ? :):

Got some great shots in the living room with no light where they would have just been dark previously.

Can't wait to try it out in a live situation.
    mark kennedy
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2006
    Hey you live music shooters! Do you think primes will do the job for live music shooting? Don't worry, I'm still practicing on my beloved S5600 and don't want to upgrade to a proper DSLR soon (still have to pay the S5600) but was wondering if primes like 35 and 50mm will be right for this kind of application.

• Options
    edited June 20, 2006
    >was wondering if primes like 35 and 50mm will be right for this kind of application.

Take a look at Nordic's gallery (http://nordic.smugmug.com) - he's mentioned that he uses the Canon 50mm 1.8 a fair bit and that's what persuaded me to get one.

I've seen a few people using them at gigs as well, obviously you need to be a lot closer to your subject, for a lot of bands I see that's usually not a problem !
    mark kennedy
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2006
    Rab-Cilbup wrote:
    >was wondering if primes like 35 and 50mm will be right for this kind of application.

Take a look at Nordic's gallery (http://nordic.smugmug.com) - he's mentioned that he uses the Canon 50mm 1.8 a fair bit and that's what persuaded me to get one.

I've seen a few people using them at gigs as well, obviously you need to be a lot closer to your subject, for a lot of bands I see that's usually not a problem !

Thanks Rab! Took a look at nordic's smug and a lot of his shots are really good! Will have to ask him to point me out which one were done with primes. Thanks again for your help. :):

• Options
    edited June 25, 2006
    This one is technically poor, but it makes me smile.

The Flaming Lips played a festival here in London's Hyde Park this week, and it was a lot of fun. There were dancers dressed as santa, scientologists and superheroes, giant inflatable dancing spacemen, plastic hands, confetti blowers and Wayne Coyne walking over the crowd in a plastic bubble. :D

77723645-S.jpg

How I wish I'd taken my SLR with me... this band are a gift to photographers.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,932 moderator
    edited June 26, 2006
    Another street shot from Madrid
    These guys were playing Dixieland favorites near the flea market yesterday.

77922578-L.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,
  • Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2006
    Well done Richard.
    Detail in the shadows...
    thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook