Options

One Stop Live Music Thread

Comments

• Options
    jdfaithjdfaith Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2006
    Anyone Post Beetlejuice @ Universal Yet???
    They did a nice job for the kids...and the older kids.

88704712-M.jpg

88704721-M.jpg

88704707-M.jpg

88704730-M.jpg
  • Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2006
    A friend sent me this link.
    No, it's not about photography but about music.

http://www.blogmusik.net/

May be you already know it. ne_nau.gif
    If you do, I'm sorry. eek7.gif
    If you don't, I am not sorry rolleyes1.gif
    thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    insideoutofloveinsideoutoflove Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited September 6, 2006
    These are quite old, but some of my more decent shots...and, surprisingly, taken before I owned my Digital Rebel. These were actually taken with my Canon PowerShot S50, which I STILL rave about... It is by far the best compact digital camera I have ever used. And it lasted me for a long time as well...still haven't gotten around to trying to get it fixed (it's an old model, and rather heavy, so the last drop was a deadly one for it) but I plan on taking it in soon...I miss it!

Anyway, here are a few pictures of Jeff Tweedy, frontman for the band Wilco.

Image-2AA55D6A533E11DA.jpg

Image-2AA58FF8533E11DA.jpg

Image-2AA64AEA533E11DA.jpg

Image-2AA6A896533E11DA.jpg (this is one feature I miss in the rebel--ability to shoot in black and white)

Image-2AA6BFFC533E11DA.jpg

Image-2AA7AEBC533E11DA.jpg

Image-2AA82AC2533E11DA.jpg (forgot to mention Glenn was in one of these too! drummer for Wilco..and an EXTRAORDINARY one, at that!)

Concert photography is something I've really gotten into in the past year or so..I have yet to use my digital rebel to its full potential (usually can't get it into venues), but I'm a big music person and go my fair share of concerts, so I'm hoping that my show schedule the next few months will produce some good shots! (If you're interested in the other Wilco photography I have, it's all up here ...im a big fan :D )
  • Options
    Dramatapix®Dramatapix® Registered Users Posts: 430 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2006
    Wow... just found this thread. I'll definitely make a point of going through the whole thread and replying with my own experiences and feedback, but in the meantime, here is my site:

www.dramatapix.com

Feel free to check out my music gallery there. Unfortunately all of the shots are of professional artists, so I prefer not to post here where the images can be distributed freely.

Thanks
    Brett
    My Gear: D200, D80, 50 f/1.4, 28-75 f/2.8, 55-200 f/4-5.6, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, 70-200 f2.8, (4) White Lightning Ultra 1200's, SB600, (2) Lightspheres, 17" Macbook Pro, 24" Apple Imac, Thinkpad T42, Epson R-260, PSCS2, Adobe Lightroom, Apple Aperture, PS Elements 4
  • Options
    firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2006
    I got a great chance to break in my Fuijifilm F30. Here are pics from DMB at the Gorge and DMB at Raley Field.

I had front row Raley.

Check my gallery for more.

93114851-L-1.jpg

93114304-L-1.jpg

93120871-L-1.jpg

93118142-L-2.jpg

93605092-L-1.jpg

93605013-L-1.jpg

93602813-L-1.jpg

93603817-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2006
    (If you're interested in the other Wilco photography I have, it's all up here ...im a big fan :D )

Nice pictures!!

Could you recommend a CD of theirs. I've heard of them..but haven't listened too much of them. Go ahead and just PM me.
  • Options
    BlueHoseJacketBlueHoseJacket Registered Users Posts: 509 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2006
    Going to Go a Little Country..
    Here are some shots I took this summer at Hi-Fi Buys Amphitheatre in Atlanta. These were take from over 30 rows back with my 75-300mm lense. Considering the distance and being handheld, I thought they turned out pretty good. This concert was a two night event, on Friday night there was Jason Aldean, Pat Green and Montgomery Gentry. On Saturday night we saw Lonestar, Sara Evans and Dwight Yokoam. On Friday night I had seats on the 5th row, but I had read that cameras were not allowed at the venue. A good opportunity wasted!. As I indicated,
    93776992-M.jpg Saturday night our seats were on row 36, all of these shots were taken from my seat
    93779558-M.jpg

93779516-M.jpg

93775688-M.jpg

93780370-L.jpg

93781395-L.jpg
  • Options
    SpagbagSpagbag Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited September 10, 2006
    I got a great chance to break in my Fuijifilm F30. Here are pics from DMB at the Gorge and DMB at Raley Field.
    I've been hoping to see some gig pictures taken with this camera, as the high ISO seems perfect for this kind of situation. Very nice!
  • Options
    edited September 21, 2006
    Matt Nathanson at Sweetwater, Mill Valley, CA

Visit my Gallery for more.

96870552-L-1.jpg

96871690-L-1.jpg

96872979-L-1.jpg
    I don't usualy like a lot of crowd or people in my shots...but I thought this one had a cool perspective...sort of shows how small the venue was.

96872826-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    ZygoteZygote Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2006
    Tool

quart10.jpg

quart07.jpg

Brian Molko of Placebo

placebo13.jpg

Placebo

placebo10.jpg
  • Options
    hodad66hodad66 Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited September 22, 2006
    Lou's Blues
    original.jpg

original.jpg

25753205.jpg

25521135.jpg

:D
  • Options
    edited September 26, 2006
    hodad66 wrote:
    original.jpg

:D

I really like that!
  • Options
    edited September 26, 2006
    snow patrol!..more fun with my F30

97786140-L-1.jpg

97785967-L-3.jpg

97787032-L-1.jpg

97786257-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2006
    NO PICS, a little history & 2 QUESTIONS
    I am really getting tired of not getting the shots I used to get from film doing concert shots.....
    Film era, I shot with a 20-210 series 1 f2.8 - 4 vivatar and a pentax me super on manual or aperature priority...no flash....I did have a sunpak 522 mounted to use as a shoulder pod but it never fired until after the concerts for those sneaky shots in the dressing room or on the buses....
    Film was always fuji chrome 50 or 100....sometimes fuji print 100.....

Now i went out and shot using my standard f-stop (5.6) and shutter speed (60 - 125) and the end result was terrible.

I had read that camera sensors are more sensitive than film...so I was figureing I would have some that the highlites were blown and I would have to do quite a bit of post work....but instead I trashed them...(it was a local band).....this was not from just one camera....I go with a 2.8 70 - 200 and a 2.8 24 - 70 both sigmas and both do exceptional work except for this tpe of work.

When shooting what settings are your using (ISO, aperature, shutter etc)?

Do you shoot manual or aperature Prioity or shutter priority or program?

This is the type of thing that really makes me consider going back to film....but no one is stocking pro film anymore unless you prepay for a huge amount at a time...then they will keep it in their frrigs until needed.

That is why I haven't been posting and i do not want to have to be shooting in the 1600 - 3200 iso range, since a lot of the artist that are still around here (local and touring artist) remember the sharp ungrainy images I produced....now I ...well don't like what I am getting.....

Thanks in advance.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    SpeshulEdSpeshulEd Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    Art Scott wrote:
    IWhen shooting what settings are your using (ISO, aperature, shutter etc)?

Do you shoot manual or aperature Prioity or shutter priority or program?

Usually when shooting in clubs or small venues (I haven't had any experience shooting big shows in arenas with lots of light) I usually have my settings set up as:

ISO: 1600
    AP: 2.8 or 1.8 if I'm shooting with the 50mm prime. 2.8 on the tamron and canon 70-200L
    SS: I try to get between 1/50 and 1/250, however, I've shot as slow as 1/10 and still got a decent result if the band wasn't moving much and I got lucky enough not to have camera shake.

I usually always shoot in aperature priority mode, it seems to be helpful, but then again, I almost always shoot in aperature priority mode, so it might just be me.

What about your pictures aren't you liking?
    bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
    Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    SpeshulEd wrote:

Well to start with I can't pp enuff to pull the images out of the darkness.....they are all EEEEEXXXXXTTTTRREEEEMMMMEEELY UUUUUUUNDER XPOSED...ALMOST TOTALLY BLACK....now my 2 KM 7D's are fine for every thing else......If I go to 1600 I can get decent shots.......BUT slow ISO and super fine tacky sharp pics at 20 x 30 has always been my thing....even the few times I shot next to a couple of "SUPER PROS" from Black Star agency...I was shooting ISO 50 fuji and they were shooting 1000 pushed to 1600 and 3200 and said they would live with the huge grain.....

Well now I am wanting to get back into the Game and need to be able to pull off shots better than with film.....

Maybe it isn't possible and I will just to live with noise and using noise eliminating software to regain the no grain aspect and maybe even that isn't possible.headscratch.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    ISO 50 is crazy! bowdown.gif

yeah, I can squeeze out an ISO 400 tops sometimes, but I'm also not printing 20x30. Most of my shooting is at dark and dreary clubs, as the bands I shoot aren't all that famous. I'd imagine the bigger venues would offer more light, and I could knock down the ISO a bit, but I still usually push the ISO. I don't know what noise is like with the 7D, but with the 20D, even at 1600, its not so bad.

If it gets a little too grainy, I just throw noise ninja at it and that takes care of a large part of it.
    bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
    Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
  • Options
    SpeshulEd wrote:
    Usually when shooting in clubs or small venues (I haven't had any experience shooting big shows in arenas with lots of light) I usually have my settings set up as:

ISO: 1600
    AP: 2.8 or 1.8 if I'm shooting with the 50mm prime. 2.8 on the tamron and canon 70-200L
    SS: I try to get between 1/50 and 1/250, however, I've shot as slow as 1/10 and still got a decent result if the band wasn't moving much and I got lucky enough not to have camera shake.

I usually always shoot in aperature priority mode, it seems to be helpful, but then again, I almost always shoot in aperature priority mode, so it might just be me.

I like my Canon 50mm 1.8 for the small clubs..with varying ISO...but usually at 400-1600. They usually let me in with my SLR. I only wish I had a 70-200 2.8 and a press pass for other situations. I usually get my point and shoot into venues where the band is more main stream....witht that I crank out ISO 800-1600 and sometimes even use shutter priority when I have a performer that moves around a whole bunch. Take my Matt Nathanson pics for example. He moves so much when performing.

A friend of mine use to boast to me about how his film SLR owned him to shoot at the same poor lighting conditions with half the speed and apeture.
  • Options
    HiSPLHiSPL Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2006
    This is a cool thread!

I look at these situations a little differently, since I make my living as a sound engineer. I tend to let the human side come out of the performer. I see people on stage all the time and they are not the same person they are backstage.

For instance I recently mixed Ian Moore with Kullen Fuchs in a little (very little) bar and grill here in town for a private party. I took a bunch of pics, but the extremely low light and too much shake killed most of them. Some were saved by going B&W after some radical Exp. comp.

98447854-L.jpg

Others are grainy and I'll live with it...

98448480-L.jpg

Fan interaction is always cool...

98534303-L.jpg

And of course being the soundguy, I can't help but snap a pic of the office!

98534344-L.jpg

P.S. Sorry about the PROOF. I thought I could toggle it on and off in SM. Guess not! I'm still a Smugmug noob...ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    sylvia1226sylvia1226 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 1, 2006
    Hi all, first post here by a beginner! Been lurking around here for a while and always really like the advice and photos that everyone posts and I've found this thread especially enjoyable. Lots of great shots in here!

I'm actually curious if I might get some advice of my own from some of you that have more experience than I do. I've been attending shows for a long time (always as a fan behind the barrier) and have enjoyed taking photos for my own personal use and posting low resolution copies on some messageboards to share with other fans.

My problem arose when people started asking if they could purchase my pictures. In addition, I've also run across bands and band members that have been pulling my photos off these messagboards and using them on their own websites without my knowledge or permission.

I guess I'm curious about some of the legalities of that sort of situation. I assume I have full copyright and control of the photos, thus could ask them to pay for usage license, or to remove the photos all together? I had read once that techincally I need a 'model release' from the band if I ever wanted to sell the photos. Can that stop me from selling prints to some of their biggest fans? I've also read that since it's often a private club/theater/event that I less rights. Is any of that true? or has this sucker fallen victim to the mis-truths on the web again?

Does any of that make sense? Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!
  • Options
    HiSPLHiSPL Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    HiSPL wrote:
    P.S. Sorry about the PROOF. I thought I could toggle it on and off in SM. Guess not! I'm still a Smugmug noob...ne_nau.gif

Cool! I killed it. Smugmug rocks!ylsuper.gif
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    some of my roommates practicing in the basement...

99817309-M.jpg

99824208-M.jpg

99822321-M.jpg
  • Options
    rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    here is my collection:

all from Washington, D.C.

DSCF8684.jpg

2005_0407WashingtonDC0256.jpg

2005_0405WashingtonDC0731bw-1.jpg

2005_0405WashingtonDC0721bwclrd-1.jpg

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited October 5, 2006
    sylvia1226 wrote:
    Hi all, first post here by a beginner! Been lurking around here for a while and always really like the advice and photos that everyone posts and I've found this thread especially enjoyable. Lots of great shots in here!

I'm actually curious if I might get some advice of my own from some of you that have more experience than I do. I've been attending shows for a long time (always as a fan behind the barrier) and have enjoyed taking photos for my own personal use and posting low resolution copies on some messageboards to share with other fans.

My problem arose when people started asking if they could purchase my pictures. In addition, I've also run across bands and band members that have been pulling my photos off these messagboards and using them on their own websites without my knowledge or permission.

I guess I'm curious about some of the legalities of that sort of situation. I assume I have full copyright and control of the photos, thus could ask them to pay for usage license, or to remove the photos all together? I had read once that techincally I need a 'model release' from the band if I ever wanted to sell the photos. Can that stop me from selling prints to some of their biggest fans? I've also read that since it's often a private club/theater/event that I less rights. Is any of that true? or has this sucker fallen victim to the mis-truths on the web again?

Does any of that make sense? Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Hello Sylvia,
    and welcome to Dgrin wave.gif You ask some real good questions. There have been discussions on the topic before. Read a result of a Dgrin search on "model release" here Lots of links that should give you a better idea of your rights :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    Dramatapix®Dramatapix® Registered Users Posts: 430 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2006
    I just love the look on his face in this one.

concrazyadd1.jpg
    My Gear: D200, D80, 50 f/1.4, 28-75 f/2.8, 55-200 f/4-5.6, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, 70-200 f2.8, (4) White Lightning Ultra 1200's, SB600, (2) Lightspheres, 17" Macbook Pro, 24" Apple Imac, Thinkpad T42, Epson R-260, PSCS2, Adobe Lightroom, Apple Aperture, PS Elements 4
  • Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2006
    Morocco
    Black and White or color ?
    101736147-M.jpg101736911-M.jpg
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    DernoDerno Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited October 11, 2006
    here some from a local concert i took, it was my first time taking pictures at a concert, i still havent taken them into photoshop to lighten some of these up but i still think they are pretty good for the first time

img_1499.jpg

img_1510.jpg

img_1512.jpg

img_1514.jpg

img_1538.jpg

img_1560.jpg
    http://www.derno.net
    Canon Rebel XT
  • Options
    DernoDerno Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited October 11, 2006
    forgot one

img_1608.jpg
    http://www.derno.net
    Canon Rebel XT
  • Options
    gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2006
    Hi All
    I mostly shoot sport but just lately i have been taking my camera to all the local gigs i have been to and now bands are asking me to shot posters and cd covers so may have to get into this big time
    here's a few of mine not great only just got a flash (580ex)

1 Oakstock all day rock festival at one of the local pubs in its 10th year
    some shots of varios bands and band members
    Ovacast
    91982466-M.jpg

91982463-M.jpg

91982465-M.jpg

Shambles
    95138057-M.jpg

95138061-M.jpg

95138059-M.jpg

Traitors Gate one of the top local bands

91547418-M.jpg

91789411-M.jpg

91547423-M.jpg

And this is The Idle Hands my favourite local band and my first outing with the 580EX

100905696-M.jpg

100905894-M.jpg

100906293-M.jpg

100906913-M.jpg
  • Options
    Rab-CilbupRab-Cilbup Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited November 28, 2006
    It's been far too long since this thread was bumped to the top of the pile so here goes :

Some photos I took a few weeks ago at the Classic Rock Society in Rotherham here in the UK - they put gigs on - mostly by progressive rock bands - this was their Winter Progfest which was a four band bill.

Venue is called Oakwood School - it's a large school hall - holds 3-400 I reckon.

This is a UK band called Frost* which was put together as a project by a guy called Jem Godfrey. In his day job, Jem writes and produces songs for artists like Atomic Kitten, Blue & Ronan Keating and he actually wrote the Christmas number one here in the UK last year, "That's My Goal" (or "That's My Goat" as he calls it) by a bloke called Shayne Ward. The single sold over a million copies and he won an Ivor Novello award for it so he knows his stuff.

He has a blog at www.milliontown.blogspot.com which is well worth a read.

Anyway, took most of these from front row left with the 350d and the 50mm 1.8 - no pit and couldn't really move around or I would have lost my spot.

This is the first time I've used the 1.8 at a gig, found it excellent, but I lost a lot of shots as the DOF was so narrow on it that a few times I managed to get some perfectly focused shots of Jem's keyboard and nothing else icon_redface.gif

Thank god for a Hyperdrive !

The only other bugbear was that I found that the lighting guy used a lot of red (yuck - you think he'd use blue for a band called Frost* !)

Feel that I'm slowly getting better, I've certainly learned my lesson about thirds after someone on another forum pointed it out.

I'll apologise in advance if these are too dark etc as well, my monitor seems slightly better calibrated these days but I still seem to have an enormous amount of trouble setting it up - am thinking of getting a calibration device when I can pick one up at the right price.

Oh and Jem liked the pics, that may have been to do with the two bottles of "Frost" alcoholic drink I gave him after the gig though !

109853689-M.jpg

109863929-M.jpg

Rest at : http://rab-cilbup.smugmug.com/Music
    mark kennedy