Options

New Computer Time: Why Not Apple?

Comments

• Options
    NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    If you are looking for Photoshop performance why not a G5 tower? They are still very fast? You have a PC to do PC stuff, make a photoshop machine.
    I would still go w/ a new Intel based if you go mac. I tried Andy's little quick benchmark on a brand new imac a few months ago. It came in within 1 second of a fully doped out dual-processor G5 powermac. As I said at the time, either the emulation bit doesn't take as much of a performance hit in p-shop as you might think, or the Intel chips are just way way faster.

Either way, the Intel stuff is more future-proof in my opinion. I wouldn't go near a PPC based machine unless it was uber-cheap.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Different Mac guy at work was guessing more likely the first part of next year. ne_nau.gif

I still say Aug/Sep. The Conroe chip is due out in July, this is the MacBook Pro that Apple wanted to release initially. I think that they'll start shipping as soon as possible after the Conroe is released. By normal release schedules your friend would be right. I think he's wrong. But nobody knows until they've actually released it...
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2006
    Good discussion, thanks folks. thumb.gif

I spent a while at the Apple online store, even looked at refurbs. This business of waiting the next big thing - that's never going to change.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    This business of waiting the next big thing - that's never going to change.

Yep, you just have to buy something. That's why I love Fry's. Every so often they have an MB/CPU deal I just can't pass up. Poof! I'm upgraded. :D Instant gratification; no waiting for delivery!
    Chris
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2006
    lol3.gif

So here's the store I go to.

Basically, build your own.

Anyone want to take a crack at building a super-fast Photoshop machine? I don't need no stinking fancy hard drives, got my externals. lol3.gif But I know nothing about motherboards, and next to nothing about chips and memory.

http://www.ginstar.com/
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    I still say Aug/Sep. The Conroe chip is due out in July, this is the MacBook Pro that Apple wanted to release initially. I think that they'll start shipping as soon as possible after the Conroe is released. By normal release schedules your friend would be right. I think he's wrong. But nobody knows until they've actually released it...

A 64 bit MBpro and 32 bit MB makes a lot more sense. They seem a little too close right now. I can see it being released so soon, maybe by the end of the year. ne_nau.gif Just as long as it is released with PS CS3. deal.gif
  • Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2006
    Re: Benchmark...
    I just ran the benchmark that Andy posted a ways back....

3 minutes flat

ne_nau.gif

Not sure where that leaves me in the grand scheme of things....
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2006
    With the help of a workmate, here's a fast system. Just over $900 as is, will cost maybe another $100 - $200 to upgrade memory to 2GB.

71219925-L.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    They seem a little too close right now.
    That's what the kids upstairs were saying.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    With the help of a workmate, here's a fast system. Just over $900 as is, will cost maybe another $100 - $200 to upgrade memory to 2GB.

You're not getting a DVD burner, but you are getting a floppy drive? Does anyone still use those things?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    That's what the kids upstairs were saying.

That is why I bought what I did. I also saved some money to put to the super fast Macbookpro's to come. deal.gif
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    A 64 bit MBpro and 32 bit MB makes a lot more sense. They seem a little too close right now. I can see it being released so soon, maybe by the end of the year. ne_nau.gif Just as long as it is released with PS CS3. deal.gif

I would put money on new MBP's by the end of September. If gambling were legal, of course.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    You're not getting a DVD burner, but you are getting a floppy drive? Does anyone still use those things?
    Already have an external DVD burner. Can't get rid of the floppy drive, comes with. We took one of their standard systems and upgraded components.

Not sure if the graphics card supports 2 monitors, that might up the cost.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    That is why I bought what I did. I also saved some money to put to the super fast Macbookpro's to come. deal.gif
    Which you won't buy for another 4-5 years, of course. Because there's no need to upgrade. naughty.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:

Ditto on the DVD, a lot of software is only coming out on DVD now, plus what will you burn to? Eventually you will need to take something off your HD's. ne_nau.gif

40gb HD? I know you have externals, but I would think you would want a bigger one. One not put in two and use a 40gb for your PS scratch disk.

I also think you need more memory for PS. The more it has the happier it is. I would think 2gb is a minimum. When you are working in PS next, use the info palette and watch the efficiency of your computer.

No OS, is that how your last computer came? I think I found the cause of your problem. blbl.gif
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    I would put money on new MBP's by the end of September. If gambling were legal, of course.

No, a 64bit dual core chip, at least 4gb of ram, CS3 and a couple of other goodies and I will be in line to upgrade. That is a huge difference. The big test will be with the Desktops, can they make something so fast that it makes sense to upgrade. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2006
    Yeah, they don't list 1 Gig chips... so add appropriately.

Here's my take:

wxwax.JPG

From their website Add $49 for:
    • Case and Power Supply
    • CPU/Motherboard Combo
    • CPU Fan
    • Floppy Drive
    Definitely get a SATA drive (not IDE/UDMA). To go cheaper, replace the DVD Burner with a reader only, but software is starting to arrive on DVD now.
    Chris
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2006
    Now hold on a second!
    Mongrel wrote:
    I just ran the benchmark that Andy posted a ways back....

3 minutes flat

ne_nau.gif

Not sure where that leaves me in the grand scheme of things....

I don't know what the heck I ran the first time, but I went back to the thread and ran THE REAL benchmark from Fred Miranda.....

Anyway.....ran it three times (yes Resized-radial blur-100-BEST settings...) and my 'new' grand total is:

80 Seconds thumb.gif

Ok, one time it was like 79 seconds and change rolleyes1.gif

Not bad for an old dog clap.gif
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    No, a 64bit dual core chip, at least 4gb of ram, CS3 and a couple of other goodies and I will be in line to upgrade. That is a huge difference. The big test will be with the Desktops, can they make something so fast that it makes sense to upgrade. ne_nau.gif

You'll have the first two in September, is what I'm saying.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    Ditto on the DVD, a lot of software is only coming out on DVD now, plus what will you burn to? Eventually you will need to take something off your HD's. ne_nau.gif

40gb HD? I know you have externals, but I would think you would want a bigger one. One not put in two and use a 40gb for your PS scratch disk.

I also think you need more memory for PS. The more it has the happier it is. I would think 2gb is a minimum. When you are working in PS next, use the info palette and watch the efficiency of your computer.

No OS, is that how your last computer came? I think I found the cause of your problem. blbl.gif

I answered David.

I have an external DVD burner. No need for two, waste of money.

Why spend money on a larger internal hard drive that will sit empty? I scarcely use mine as it is, everything goes to the externals. ne_nau.gif Is there some performance benefit to a larger disk?

As I noted in the post, I'd spend $100-$200 more to get to 2GB. deal.gif

I have XP pro on my current machine, I'd just transfer it over, kill the current machine.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2006
    ChrisJ wrote:
    X600 Video card in image...

That should have been the $189 X800 Video card.... *not* the X600 which is already pokey by today's standards.
    Chris
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2006
    ChrisJ wrote:
    Yeah, they don't list 1 Gig chips... so add appropriately.

Here's my take:

wxwax.JPG

From their website Add $49 for:
    • Case and Power Supply
    • CPU/Motherboard Combo
    • CPU Fan
    • Floppy Drive
    Definitely get a SATA drive (not IDE/UDMA). To go cheaper, replace the DVD Burner with a reader only, but software is starting to arrive on DVD now.

Very cool, Chris! Thanks.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2006
    ChrisJ wrote:
    That should have been the $189 X800 Video card.... *not* the X600 which is already pokey by today's standards.
    Got it, thanks. thumb.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2006
    Mongrel wrote:
    I don't know what the heck I ran the first time, but I went back to the thread and ran THE REAL benchmark from Fred Miranda.....

Do you have a link? I would like to run it on my Macbook in OSX and XP. :D
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2006
    patch29 wrote:

40gb HD? I know you have externals, but I would think you would want a bigger one.

I don't know how you expect to get by with only 40GB, myself. I keep all of my photos off my internal drive, and I still have about 75Gb of my 100GB used...
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    I have an external DVD burner. No need for two, waste of money.

Why spend money on a larger internal hard drive that will sit empty? I scarcely use mine as it is, everything goes to the externals. ne_nau.gif Is there some performance benefit to a larger disk?

As I noted in the post, I'd spend $100-$200 more to get to 4GB. deal.gif

I have XP pro on my current machine, I'd just transfer it over, kill the current machine.

I use two drives at the same time on many occasions, usually if I have to pull data off several drives at once.

What will you do when the new programs come out and need more space? HD space is cheap, 40 just seems low, how much are you saving vs gb given up.
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    I don't know how you expect to get by with only 40GB, myself. I keep all of my photos off my internal drive, and I still have about 75Gb of my 100GB used...
    Wow. What the heck are you running?

I'll check mine when I get home.

No biggie on getting a bigger drive, I was looking to save wherever I could. If it's a dumb idea, not very expensive to go bigger.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Wow. What the heck are you running?

I'll check mine when I get home.

No biggie on getting a bigger drive, I was looking to save wherever I could. If it's a dumb idea, not very expensive to go bigger.

My iTunes Library is around 30GB all by itself....
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    My iTunes Library is around 30GB all by itself....
    Aaaaah!

OK, now I understand. Yeah, I don't do the music thing, color me boring.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2006
    Here 'ya go....
    patch29 wrote:
    Do you have a link? I would like to run it on my Macbook in OSX and XP. :D

Patch, here's the link to the test...

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic2/145693

I'm really interested in the numbers you are getting on this. The only question I have is whether it is the same using CS and CS2. I have CS2, so ne_nau.gif .

Trust me, if a 20" core-duo iMac can rip the pants off my current system, I will surely consider it. Just don't know if Adobe will let me trade my one month old copy of CS2 for a Mac version headscratch.gif .

That's really my only concern at this point. The machine I'm on right now will serve me fine as a general-purpose rig. My goal is to have a separate stand-alone photo-editing rig.

Again, I'd love to see your numbers!

Thanks,

Mongrel