Options

New Computer Time: Why Not Apple?

123457»

Comments

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 26, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    I already have XP on a partition that I made with bootcamp, as per the discussion in this thread, I don't think I can just install parallels workstation. I would have to install XP for PW? ne_nau.gif I also mainly installed XP to work with Mapsource and my GPS which several users report problems via PW with the USB connection, where XP via BC has worked well for me so far. I am sure they will get it worked out, but at the moment Boot Camp works for me, but I would like to be able to boot XP from OSX when I just want to work with Mapsource, of course by that time Garmin will release an OSX version of Mapsource and I won't need XP anymore. :uhoh rolleyes1.gif

So have you tried PW with Garmin? And it still doesn't work! Holy crap, I figured by now they'd have that ironed out - meaning, a virtual machine that can handle the hardware (USB connections). sheesh.

I will roll over in my grave before Garmin finally supports Mac OS. They've been promising it forever!!!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    So have you tried PW with Garmin? And it still doesn't work! Holy crap, I figured by now they'd have that ironed out - meaning, a virtual machine that can handle the hardware (USB connections). sheesh.

I will roll over in my grave before Garmin finally supports Mac OS. They've been promising it forever!!!

I have not tried PW at all. I did read this thread where a user was having USB/Garmin issues with PW. He then used Boot Camp and all seems to be going well.

I too have tired of Garmin's promises, getting XP on the Macbook was one factor in the new purchase decision.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Truth to tell, this is the first thing I'm going to do. On Saturday, I'm going to buy a matching 1GB memory strip to go with the one that crashed my machine, remove my current memory and snap in the two new modules.

On Sunday, you may see me on my knees at the Apple store. naughty.gif

How's the RAM going?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    How's the RAM going?
    I, um, changed my plan. Met my deadline, though. naughty.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    I, um, changed my plan. Met my deadline, though. naughty.gif

Care to be not so cryptic?

The RAM seemed like a good idea.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Care to be not so cryptic?

The RAM seemed like a good idea.

Suffice it to say I meant it when I said I was open minded.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2006
    wxwax wrote:

Good on ya.

You just qualified for free lifetime technical support.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    clap.gif

When David's not around, I'll help you, too. Anytime.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Even better than shortcuts is Quicksilver or LaunchBar (the one I use).

I am a huge fan of LaunchBar but for application launching it isn't really needed as much as it used to be. When I hit my Spotlight shortcut and type "ph" it says Adobe Photoshop CS2 for the "Top Hit" and I just have to hit Return. It's getting so I don't bother adding apps to the Dock anymore, and I've hidden it. LaunchBar still does more, but between LaunchBar and Spotlight I'm pushing my mouse to the Dock less and less...
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2006
    colourbox wrote:
    I am a huge fan of LaunchBar but when I hit my Spotlight shortcut and type "ph" it says Adobe Photoshop CS2 for the "Top Hit" and I just have to hit Return. I'm using that Dock less and less...

I find LaunchBar much faster than Spotlight. Spotlight's great if you're not really sure what you're looking for, but when you're on a mission, nothing beats LaunchBar, IMO.

I just changed the keystrokes to ctl-spacebar. (You probably did, too?)
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2006
    wxwax wrote:

Hey Sid, one of the first things you're gonna want to do is calibrate your monitor and set it to 2.2 gamma. I guess you've got a hardware dealy-bob, but I just use the calibration in OSX.

System Prefs> Displays> Color> Calibrate, and make sure you select advanced options.

I think it does a pretty good job, myself (having never used hardware, so what do I know?)
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2006
    Oh, and I promise I won't tell Gus what you've done thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited May 28, 2006
    Welcome to the lighter side, Waxy.

You're gonna love it. Not the machine for games, but for PSCS2, it's the cat's meow.:):
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2006
    My advice...
    Not that it matters now for Sid, but my advice is "anything but Windows". They continue to restrict freedoms and they are slowly moving towards a rental scheme for using their software. They are already doing it for business, they plan on doing it for the poor, and we are next. Once implemented, they will have complete control over your OS, both what you do with it and when you do it.

Make Windows XP the last Windows OS you use if you value your freedom. Don't "upgrade" to Vista. Instead, upgrade to something that will actually upgrade your freedom. Start investigating your options now. That is what I am doing.

I am working on an Ubuntu Linux solution for photography. In the coming months I hope to have a system in place I can detail here on dgrin, so stay tuned if interested :):
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2006
    Shay, have you chosen a name yet for your movement?

Ubuntu Upstarts? Universalist Upkeepers of Ubuntu? Rentfree.com?

lol3.gif

You won't like this next bit.

Pathfinder, XP currently runs PS faster than Mac OS. So until PS goes universal whateveritis, I'll be a dual booter. That's cool, lets me load Office and run Word, which is a big deal to me.

David, I'll be running two monitors, my LaCie CRT and the laptop. I've been puzzling about the best way to calibrate them. I assume I can only calibrate one. So that means the 21" CRT gets priority. And since I'll be running PS in Windows, I assume that means I'll be calibrating in Windows. I may boot into Mac OS and calibrate the laptop screen, and see if it holds. I have no idea what will happen to the laptop screen calibration when I boot into Windows. Should be interesting.

Thanks for the offer of help, Andy.1drink.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    You won't like this next bit.
    Thanks for the warning. I had just enough time to put my tinfoil hat on mwink.gif
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2006
    Don't "upgrade" to Vista.... Start investigating your options now.
    You'll have plenty of time before Vista arrives! And that's irrespective of how far Microsoft limits the initial feature set just to get any version of Vista into the market.

So time is on your side, but Shay is right - there's no time like the present to get started on the research and evaluation phase.
  • Options
    luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2006
    I am working on an Ubuntu Linux solution for photography. In the coming months I hope to have a system in place I can detail here on dgrin, so stay tuned if interested :):

Now I am interested in that. Shay, is there any chance you could PM me, or something if I miss your post. I'll try and catch it though.

Definately tuned. :):
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2006
    What about work station solutions like Opteron or Xeonheadscratch.gif aren't they better then mac in speed and price ?
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    Does anyone have some good info on Windows XP activation? I bought an XP home SP2 full install disk and it worked fine. I am getting the countdown days before activation is required. If I activate XP and in a month put in a new HD and have to reinstall it, when I go to reactivate will I have issues? Do I have to deactivate the one copy before I remove the old drive?
    In my experience the worst case scenario for XP activation involves a 10 minute telephone call to them to explain and get the override key. I've done more XP installs than I'd care to remember at work and have run into this problem several times. We are continiously swapping hardware looking for the best performance combo.. and that often gets us in hot-water w/ the activation scheme. When it does, 10 minutes later we've got an override code and are back underway. It's annoying, but they really don't bother you too much. Although I'm sure that will change in the future (as Shay has elluded to!)..

I've asked. According to M$ there is no way to 'deactivate' their product licenses, only activate.
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2006
    NHBubba wrote:
    In my experience the worst case scenario for XP activation involves a 10 minute telephone call to them to explain and get the override key. I've done more XP installs than I'd care to remember at work and have run into this problem several times. We are continiously swapping hardware looking for the best performance combo.. and that often gets us in hot-water w/ the activation scheme. When it does, 10 minutes later we've got an override code and are back underway. It's annoying, but they really don't bother you too much. Although I'm sure that will change in the future (as Shay has elluded to!)..

I've asked. According to M$ there is no way to 'deactivate' their product licenses, only activate.

Thanks for the info, hopefully I can keep from having to reformat and reactivate more than once, if I install a larger hard drive or install for Parallels Workstation.
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2006
    My 'puter ate the big one this weekend. Picked up a Gateway with an AMD 64 X2 and 2 GBs of ram ... runs PS very quickly ($850).
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed