Options

The Car Talk Thread

Comments

• Options
    antriebantrieb Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2006
    BTW, you guys ever heard of gloves? They make them for a reason you know (you want Nitrile ones, not Latex).
    Nah they just get in the way. Having oil on my hands for a couple weeks won't do much damage anyway.
    Photography runs in my blood :andy

http://zwilliams.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2006
    antrieb wrote:
    Nah they just get in the way. Having oil on my hands for a couple weeks won't do much damage anyway.
    I'm coming home tomorrow. Is that heap-a out of my driveway yet?????????????
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2006
    Andy wrote:

Read, "Where the $%## is my car?".
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited October 2, 2006
    Andy wrote:

Reading is hard, isn't it rolleyes1.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2006
    Andy wrote:

rolleyes1.gif

Yes, and its in a million pieces now!

Read the last page to see what I did and check out some pics

• Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2006
    Just heard that my block and heads are done and the pistons/mains/all that good stuff are about to get ordered up along with cams. I bet you guys are dieing to know just what is going on. All will be clear Nov 19 if I can keep my big mouth shut that long.
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2006
    Just heard that my block and heads are done and the pistons/mains/all that good stuff are about to get ordered up along with cams. I bet you guys are dieing to know just what is going on. All will be clear Nov 19 if I can keep my big mouth shut that long.
    Let me guess...

Bored and stroked block, high compression pistions, port and polished heads, and higher degree cams ne_nau.gif

• Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    The big Hershey Antique Auto show is this weekend. Acres & acres of show cars. It's free and a lot of fun. I can only go on Fri and will miss a bunch of the cars that are only there on Sat (the biggest day). If you're in the NorthEast or Mid Atlantic area, it's worth a trip:

http://local.aaca.org/hershey/

Shots from a couple of years ago:

http://cspics.smugmug.com/gallery/726387

9784349-M.jpg
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    edited October 3, 2006
    antrieb wrote:
    Let me guess...

Bored and stroked block, high compression pistions, port and polished heads, and higher degree cams ne_nau.gif

Oooo, you're very close, though it's not stroked (too much money for a custom crank), there are other things to do to cams than higher degree, there is more you can port and polish than the heads, and there is quite a bit of stuff being done that you didn't mention even in part. But the kicker of the things is....what block?
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited October 3, 2006
    Oooo, you're very close, though it's not stroked (too much money for a custom crank), there are other things to do to cams than higher degree, there is more you can port and polish than the heads, and there is quite a bit of stuff being done that you didn't mention even in part. But the kicker of the things is....what block?
    cheese block? road block?

lol3.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited October 3, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    cheese block? road block?

lol3.gif

You sure that PhD is in Physics and not Art? I know for sure it isn't in comedy.
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BUUUUUUURRRRRRNNNNNN rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2006
    I don't know very much about Mercedes so no idea ne_nau.gif

Are you doing any of the work yourself?

How much hp/tq did you have before and how much will you have after?

• Options
    edited October 3, 2006
    antrieb wrote:
    I don't know very much about Mercedes so no idea ne_nau.gif

Are you doing any of the work yourself?

How much hp/tq did you have before and how much will you have after?
    I wish I were doing the work myself...in fact that's why I had put it off for so long, but then I realized by the time I have the spare time to do this myself I'm going to be old and gray, so I've just been very involved. And I've been doing the cosmetic stuff that isn't body work (simple things, rear view mirror, climate control pushbutton unit, window switches, shifter box, eventually seats)

Before I had (well still have) 155hp @ 4750 and 196lb-ft @2750 (at the crank). After, well this is a one off, so the best I can do is make an educated guess, but I won't. I won't tell until I have a timeslip or a video or something. Ok Ok, I'll tell this much. It'll be naturally aspirated (and no nitrous) and faster than an E39 540i.
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2006
    You sure that PhD is in Physics and not Art? I know for sure it isn't in comedy.
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BUUUUUUURRRRRRNNNNNN rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    umph.gif

Must restrain from using the all powerful mod edit button...
    Erik

• Options
    edited October 3, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    umph.gifMust restrain from using the all powerful mod edit button...
    Mods have an edit button? That's a violation of my free speech rights! Well...not really since you aren't the government...but if you were the government ooo I'd be steaming.

But since it's just Doctorit, the coolest and funniest guy ever, I'm ok with it.
    NOT! OOOO BURN AGAIN! (I have an edit button too blbl.gif)
    And now I have to go to class, leaving me edit-defense free for 1hr 15min.
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2006
    Mods have an edit button?
    I reckon we do. BTW, thanks for the kind words...
    Erik

• Options
    edited October 3, 2006
    So then you're using the v8 block, the 5.0L one?

I bet that would be a good run for my car once I get my heads ported and polished and all the other goodies in.

• Options
    edited October 3, 2006
    antrieb wrote:
    So then you're using the v8 block, the 5.0L one?

I bet that would be a good run for my car once I get my heads ported and polished and all the other goodies in.

A V8 yes (but then so is my 3.8 liter) and no not the 5 liter, though that would be a lot easier, it wouldn't give me the power I desire. Still an MB engine. You're going to make me just say it but I rather you guess it.
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2006
    A V8 yes (but then so is my 3.8 liter) and no not the 5 liter, though that would be a lot easier, it wouldn't give me the power I desire. Still an MB engine. You're going to make me just say it but I rather you guess it.

5.5l?
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2006
    5.5l?
    Warmer...but I don't recall any non-current 5.5 liter MB engines.
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2006
    I'm so freakin angry right now. Just went through a touchless car wash and they had the system pressure on their blow dryer up so high that it just put dents in the roof of my new used car. They of course refuse to take responsability for it. Grrr now I gotta pay a couple hundred to go have the dents taken out. Pricks.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2006
    I'm so freakin angry right now. Just went through a touchless car wash and they had the system pressure on their blow dryer up so high that it just put dents in the roof of my new used car. They of course refuse to take responsability for it. Grrr now I gotta pay a couple hundred to go have the dents taken out. Pricks.

Holy moley that's a strong blow dryer...but did you use the magic L-words? (lawyer and litigation) I feel like they should cover that.
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2006
    Holy moley that's a strong blow dryer...but did you use the magic L-words? (lawyer and litigation) I feel like they should cover that.

I feel like they should cover it too, I used BBB, Lawyer, Lawsuit, Etc. They don't care. Problem is it will only cost me bout 125 to have some one fix it or free if I do it myself. The paint is fine so all that needs to be done is the headliner taken down, and the dents put back up. I'd rather them pay someone to do it cause I don't have free time but looks like I'll have to do it myself. It isn't worth the expense of time lost from work, plus lawyer costs, etc to sue them. Pricks, I will be leaving complaints with the BBB, negative reviews online, and some other little tricks I have to have things even out though.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2006
    Holy moley that's a strong blow dryer...
    You can say that again! eek7.gif

was it a franchise carwash joint?
    Erik

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    You can say that again! eek7.gif

No one's said it yet...

that really blows!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:

Nope would be easier to get them to own up if it was but there aren't many franchise places left in these parts. But they don't understand the power of car clubs. Their loss, my car will get fixed (prolly free as I will get angry and do it myself after work within a week or two) soon one way or another. People just don't understand customer service. Sparkle Car wash one elizabeth lake road in waterford michigan is a car wash everyone should stay away from.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2006
    Honestly, any car was that doesn't was with human hands is a car wash to stay away from, but that's another story altogether.
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2006
    Honestly, any car was that doesn't was with human hands is a car wash to stay away from, but that's another story altogether.

I know but it is a daily driver i just want to keep it looking nice. And i was in a hurry and wanted the bird crap off it.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2006
    I know but it is a daily driver i just want to keep it looking nice. And i was in a hurry and wanted the bird crap off it.

I know what you meant, and what I'm about to say has very little to do with what you meant, but.....

a tip for getting bird crap off your car when you don't have time to wash it but don't want it to etch the paint. Go to a grocery store, but some carbonated water (make sure it doesn't have lemon or salt or anything but water that has been carbonated). Take off the cap, put your thumb over the opening, and shake vigourously, releasing your thumb slightly, turning the bottle into a high pressure hose to get off the bird crap. Then rinse off with some distilled water so that it won't water spot.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited October 3, 2006

Water and a rag? Works for me.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?