Options

The Car Talk Thread

Comments

• Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    Water and a rag? Works for me.

Umm....there is grit in bird poop...you're rubbing that grit on your paintwork if you do it that way.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited October 3, 2006
    Umm....there is grit in bird poop...you're rubbing that grit on your paintwork if you do it that way.

Well, if you want the crap off then squeezing a rag full of water isn't such
    a bad thing. Who said you had to wipe it? Of course I caught while it was
    still pretty "fresh".
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    Well, if you want the crap off then squeezing a rag full of water isn't such
    a bad thing. Who said you had to wipe it? Of course I caught while it was
    still pretty "fresh".

Squeezing the water is enough to get it off? I've never seen bird poop come off that easy, even right after. Heck, even with the carbonated water it's tough. Also though, is the water out of the rag just washing the poop away or is it stripping the acids off the paint...I don't think the level of anal reteniveness in effect is being appreciated here.
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2006
    Squeezing the water is enough to get it off? I've never seen bird poop come off that easy, even right after. Heck, even with the carbonated water it's tough. Also though, is the water out of the rag just washing the poop away or is it stripping the acids off the paint...I don't think the level of anal reteniveness in effect is being appreciated here.

It gets the poo off. But it's not terribly effective at cleaning.
  • Options
    antriebantrieb Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    Wait a second Richard, your 3.8L v8 only puts out 155hp @ 4750 and 196lb-ft @2750 ??? I'm sorry but that sucks.
    Photography runs in my blood :andy

http://zwilliams.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    antrieb wrote:
    Wait a second Richard, your 3.8L v8 only puts out 155hp @ 4750 and 196lb-ft @2750 ??? I'm sorry but that sucks.
    Why are there like, grease stains, all over my driveway headscratch.gif
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Why are there like, grease stains, all over my driveway headscratch.gif
    It's probably oil from the leak, Andy, not grease! :D
    Chris
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2006
    ChrisJ wrote:
    It's probably oil from the leak, Andy, not grease! :D
    :beatwax ---> antrieb
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2006
    One of your jeeps must be leaking oil ne_nau.gif

I'm getting better at this whole camera thing

99068803-L.jpg

• Options
    edited October 3, 2006
    antrieb wrote:
    Thank the EPA. The European version made 204hp and 225lb-ft. The emissions stuff kill it (though, 8:1 pistons for the US market don't help much). It's a durable as heck engine though, since it's so detuned. I run it like a dog, and last time i timed it, with 149k miles on it, it ran the 1/4 mile in 17.0 seconds (not bad for 3700lbs and 155hp, the nice thing is the 196lb-ft comes at 2750rpm, but by 1000rpm you already have a little over 180lb-ft). It's weak, but it makes good use of the power, even with the 2.47 final gears. People who know its specs are routinely surprised by it...they'll be more surprised in a short while.

Hahaha, blaming the jeeps. Andy, go to your local TruValue and tell them you have oil stains on your driveway, they got stuff that gets it right out.
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2006
    they got stuff that gets it right out.
    Yeah, so do I... and he's called "antrieb" lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2006
    antrieb wrote:
    One of your jeeps must be leaking oil ne_nau.gif

I'm getting better at this whole camera thing

99068803-Th.jpg
    Nice lookin' ride! Good angle, too, down low - I like it.
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Yeah, so do I... and he's called "antrieb" lol3.gif

I would hate to think what would happen if my dad hadn't been the one to introduce me to working on cars. You should see the oil stains I've left, don't even clean them up any more, that would just stand out.
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2006
    I would hate to think what would happen if my dad hadn't been the one to introduce me to working on cars. You should see the oil stains I've left, don't even clean them up any more, that would just stand out.
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif I'm just bustin' on the boy...

OH: :marlin (: marlin)
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Nice lookin' ride! Good angle, too, down low - I like it.
    Thanks Dad! Much less bling than the pimpmobile thumb.gif

• Options
    edited October 3, 2006
    antrieb wrote:
    So then you're using the v8 block, the 5.0L one?

I bet that would be a good run for my car once I get my heads ported and polished and all the other goodies in.
    At first I was thinking "530, I don't care if it is ported and polished, won't be much of a run." Then I looked at the bimmerforums thread and saw what you meant by "other goodies"...that would be a fun run.

Honestly though, why not just go to a 4.0 if you're going to get a second block? They stick in some Schrick's and an ECU from Korman BMW.

BTW, who makes stroker kits for E34 530s? When I looked, custom cranks were $$$$.
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2006
    The SmugMobile - Germany
    Richard, you probably like my ride from Germany better than Zach does naughty.gif

99875924-L.jpg

Ivar has some other fun pics of the erem... German roads and how much koff-koff ... fun we had lol3.gif

:marlin :marlin
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Richard, you probably like my ride from Germany better than Zach does naughty.gif

Ivar has some other fun pics of the erem... German roads and how much koff-koff ... fun we had lol3.gif

:marlin :marlin

You know, a few months ago I would have said BAH new Mercedes, but as I started looking at them...Benz still has it I think. Yeah whatever, initial quality bah humbug, they still offer the most durable, best built (when you really tear the down, for instance they have specially trained techs lay all the wiring down by hand to ensure that it gets put in a place where it won't wear from the natural movements of things in the car, the japanese makers just staple them down at the harness and pull them to the various points), most comfortable, and I think the best cars (not counting the E39 BMW).

So....how fast did you go (I should warn you, I'm a little hard to impress...my dad and I once rented a Porsche and got up to 176mph wings.gif)? And how did you end up buying a Jeep instead of a C after driving one on the autobahn?
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2006
    At first I was thinking "530, I don't care if it is ported and polished, won't be much of a run." Then I looked at the bimmerforums thread and saw what you meant by "other goodies"...that would be a fun run.

Honestly though, why not just go to a 4.0 if you're going to get a second block? They stick in some Schrick's and an ECU from Korman BMW.

BTW, who makes stroker kits for E34 530s? When I looked, custom cranks were $$$$.
    Cool Benzy Dad

The e34 530i has about 4 ECU’s and 3 wiring harnesses. It is a very complicated car to do an engine swap for. Keeping the 3.0L v8 is the easiest solution.
    <o:p> </o:p>
    I’m still not sure if I want to go N/A or FI with the engine though. An N/A build could put me in the range of 280whp, well the FI build would be about 350whp. The FI would also cost about $6k more.
    N/A:
    • Port/polish
    • Flow match
    • Cams
    • Larger injectors
    • High compression pistons<o:p></o:p>
    • Equal length exhaust manifol
    • Free flow cats
    • Tri flow exhaust
    • Dinan cold air intake
    • Custom burned chip
    F/I
    • Port/polish
    • Flow match
    • Cams
    • Larger injectors
    • Low compression pistons<o:p></o:p>
    • Forged internals<o:p></o:p>
    • Equal length exhaust manifold
    • Free flow cats
    • Tri flow exhaust
    • ESS Supercharger @ 12 psi

• Options
    edited October 3, 2006

So....how fast did you go

Well, not 176mph, it was a D, so we needed a slight downhill and I managed some good speed on the Autobahn - Ivar has piccies ... stay tuned deal.gif
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Well, not 176mph, it was a D, so we needed a slight downhill and I managed some good speed on the Autobahn - Ivar has piccies ... stay tuned deal.gif
    Don't give me any bad ideas dad!

• Options
    edited October 3, 2006
    antrieb wrote:
    The e34 530i has about 4 ECU’s and 3 wiring harnesses.
    I’m still not sure if I want to go N/A or FI with the engine though. An N/A build could put me in the range of 280whp, well the FI build would be about 350whp. The FI would also cost about $6k more.

I've forgotten that some cars have electronics :D

What makes you think you have to do all that to get to 350 with FI? Or are you talking rwhp? 6psi + cams + port and polish + free flow exhaust should get more than 350 at the crank. Oh...you are talking rwhp (I really did just see that). Still I think 12psi is just too much. And doesnt that car have 10:1 to begin with? With the way gas is, I wouldn't want to go higher compression than that. When you only have 3 liters to work with I say go with the boost. No replacement for displacement, but boost is pretty good.
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2006
    Andy wrote:

You'd be surprised with those D's. Some VW diesel Passat Wagon was doing 125 the whole way (it was a very long drive) while we varied between 110 and 176...somehow he always managed to catch up after a half hour of 110.
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2006
    antrieb wrote:
    Don't give me any bad ideas dad!

One of my bosses got busted for speeding. Let's just say that getting out
    of the car at gun point is an experince you don't want lol3.gif

Oh, and he lost his car for a month too--$$$$$ for storage.

Ian

p.s. I wasn't involved.
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    Ian, why does it say you're offline even when you aren't? It's creeping me out.

Zac, that interior is pretty good, but 9/10? What about the driver's seat? I won't be buying any cars from you on ebay hahahaha lol rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    I've forgotten that some cars have electronics :D

What makes you think you have to do all that to get to 350 with FI? Or are you talking rwhp? 6psi + cams + port and polish + free flow exhaust should get more than 350 at the crank. Oh...you are talking rwhp (I really did just see that). Still I think 12psi is just too much. And doesnt that car have 10:1 to begin with? With the way gas is, I wouldn't want to go higher compression than that. When you only have 3 liters to work with I say go with the boost. No replacement for displacement, but boost is pretty good.
    Yeah 350whp. The engine doesn't have forged internals, so the highest recomended boost is 6psi. With forged internals we could go 15psi but why push it? 7psi is a 50% gain so 12psi is about a 75% gain. Take out the drive train loss and add the increased fow to the head and its about 350whp. Dunno if 70 extra hp is worth $6k to me. I'm not looking for a 5 second car, just something with a little zip that can kill e36 m3's and e39 540i's.

• Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    antrieb wrote:
    7psi is a 50% gain so 12psi is about a 75% gain.
    Not that anybody is counting, but 7psi is a theoretical 47.6% gain and 12 is a 81.6% gain. I wonder if Autothority or RMS is making kits for that car...
    Looks like no, and RMS is no longer around WTF?

I can tell you first hand those E39 540's are a hard kill, something about them, they pull strong all the way to top speed. The previous gen Mustang Cobras and sl500's are no match.
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    Ian, why does it say you're offline even when you aren't? It's creeping me out.

I don't sit on the site.
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    Not that anybody is counting, but 7psi is a theoretical 47.6% gain and 12 is a 81.6% gain. I wonder if Autothority or RMS is making kits for that car...
    Thanks for correcting me, I wasn’t exactly sure of the numbers.
    I searched far and wide and couldn’t even find one SC kit for the 530i until you showed me the ESS one. How the heck did you find it? And can you find more?

• Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    antrieb wrote:
    Thanks for correcting me, I wasn’t exactly sure of the numbers.
    I searched far and wide and couldn’t even find one SC kit for the 530i until you showed me the ESS one. How the heck did you find it? And can you find more?
    You just divide the boost by 14.7 to get the theoretical gain. I'll look around for more, but ESS might be the only one. ESS started not too long ago (I think like 10 years ago), and they sorta trickeled into the market and then took off. They're the biggest guys out there for this BMW supercharging. There also used to be RMS which was an American company, but it looks like they are long gone. Other guys to look to are Alpina, Hartge, AC Schnitzer, RD Sport. I doubt any of them make anything, but they might (I think RD Sports might be only aerokits and wheels now in fact).

Part of the problem is a lot of these guys stopped putting their older stuff on their websites. Dinan stopped putting their older cams on their website for instance, AC Schnitzer never puts anything older than the previous model up...it takes some e-mailing for the older cars.