Options

The Car Talk Thread

Comments

• Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    I'll give you a hint...one of the sizes you said is it...or at least was it before the slight boring (big as we can go without resleeving).

5.4l
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    No, not you. Andy. I had suggested a smilie post to be named after Zac, and Andy deleted the smilie.
    :nono not me, I never deleted it? What was it, send me the link in a PM and I'll ck it out
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    PM to Andy sent.

And no, not 5.4 Where are you ever getting those numbers? You're just guessing.

And now it's mysteriously back in the post where I first put it...WTF? Andy, are you screwing with my head or something?
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited October 4, 2006
    PM to Andy sent.

And no, not 5.4 Where are you ever getting those numbers? You're just guessing.

And now it's mysteriously back in the post where I first put it...WTF? Andy, are you screwing with my head or something?
    Andy's not goofing. I'd see the evidence if there were edits. I think you're staying up too late talking about car stuff with Antrieb. Aren't you taking classes???
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Andy's not goofing. I'd see the evidence if there were edits. I think you're staying up too late talking about car stuff with Antrieb. Aren't you taking classes???

Classes are for chumps. No seriously, my first class on Mon Wed Fri is 10:30 (and 11:30 on Tue Thurs). Well...did you see that mechanic smilie in my post earlier? I saw it, then it disappeared once Andy made his post after that, I went in to edit and the link was gone. Then I sent Andy the PM, now the smilie is back.
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    4.6l?
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    4.6l?

No, and stop just guessing. Did MB ever make a 4.6 liter?
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    Classes are for chumps. No seriously, my first class on Mon Wed Fri is 10:30 (and 11:30 on Tue Thurs). Well...did you see that mechanic smilie in my post earlier? I saw it, then it disappeared once Andy made his post after that, I went in to edit and the link was gone. Then I sent Andy the PM, now the smilie is back.
    could be the smilie link is unreliable and not loading. I don't even know what post your talking about... number or link please.
    Erik

• Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    could be the smilie link is unreliable and not loading. I don't even know what post your talking about... number or link please.

If the link were unreliable, when I went in to edit shouldn't it still be in the box since I always click go advanced?
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    Yes i was just guessing. 4.0l

and not all of them are guesses but trying to find a page with the complete history of MB engines is a PITA.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    Yes i was just guessing. 4.0l

and not all of them are guesses but trying to find a page with the complete history of MB engines is a PITA.

You're getting colder...much.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    How 'bout an amphibious car?

100001441-L.jpg

100001591-L.jpg

Found in Bingen, Germany.
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    You're getting colder...much.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2006

If the link were unreliable, when I went in to edit shouldn't it still be in the box since I always click go advanced?
    It's still there, the image just isn't loading. When you edit (or post) smilies and images by default come up as the actual image, not the code. To confirm, you need to switch editor modes by clicking on the A/A button thingy above the smilies to the right. Got it?
    Erik

• Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    How 'bout an amphibious car?

Found in Bingen, Germany.
    The Ferrari sticker on the back is the best part! lol3.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    It's still there, the image just isn't loading. When you edit (or post) smilies and images by default come up as the actual image, not the code. To confirm, you need to switch editor modes by clicking on the A/A button thingy above the smilies to the right. Got it?
    Ahhhh...I see.

The Amphicar rocks btw. good find.

And no, not 5.3...all you're doing is guessing, that's no fun, you should try and figure it out.
  • Options
    antriebantrieb Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    How about you just tell us ne_nau.gif

:antrieb

edit: nothing yet :(
    Photography runs in my blood :andy

http://zwilliams.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    Wait...which M62 was supercharged?
    Not the m62 engine, the m62 super charger. It is used on stock S/C'd chevy V8's.

• Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    antrieb wrote:
    How about you just tell us ne_nau.gif

:antrieb

edit: nothing yet :(

Bah, you people have no drive. Fine, I'll just tell you, you imaginationless....I don't know...imaginationless somethings

It's the 5.6 liter out of a 560 W126 mercedes (well...rebuilt, so not out of one really), euro OS2 pistons (10:1 compression and I forget exactly but it brings it to around 5.8 liters), a port and polished 500 manifold (both the 500 and 560 are the same block) so that I can use the Bosch CIS Injection off my 380 with bigger injectors of course , custom cams, port and polish the heads and exhaust ports, custom headers (well maybe tri-y's...tests will be run once the engine is complete) going down dual pipes with an X-pipe to a high flow muffler. H&R Springs on Bilstein Heavy Duty shocks, et 11 16x8 Ronal R9's (basically clones of the period correct AMG wheels...even forged and weigh about 17.5lbs) wearing 245/50-16 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's, beefing up with extra/higher friction bands to take the power, adjusting the tranny valve body for faster shifts and a shift point at 6000 when in D (and no rev limiter when being manually shifted with an engine set up for 6500rpm shift points). I know I'm forgetting something...umm...a second fuel pump, there's something I'm forgetting I know it.

One day I'll change to a ported and polished 560 manifold and go to the CIS-E injection...one day when I have money to burn since it's only a bit more power for a large amount more money...and a bit of complication.
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    Bah, you people have no drive. Fine, I'll just tell you, you imaginationless....I don't know...imaginationless somethings

It's the 5.6 liter out of a 560 W126 mercedes (well...rebuilt, so not out of one really), euro OS2 pistons (10:1 compression and I forget exactly but it brings it to around 5.8 liters), a port and polished 500 manifold (both the 500 and 560 are the same block) so that I can use the Bosch CIS Injection off my 380 with bigger injectors of course , custom cams, port and polish the heads and exhaust ports, custom headers (well maybe tri-y's...tests will be run once the engine is complete) going down dual pipes with an X-pipe to a high flow muffler. H&R Springs on Bilstein Heavy Duty shocks, et 11 16x8 Ronal R9's (basically clones of the period correct AMG wheels...even forged and weigh about 17.5lbs) wearing 245/50-16 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's, beefing up with extra/higher friction bands to take the power, adjusting the tranny valve body for faster shifts and a shift point at 6000 when in D (and no rev limiter when being manually shifted with an engine set up for 6500rpm shift points). I know I'm forgetting something...umm...a second fuel pump, there's something I'm forgetting I know it.

One day I'll change to a ported and polished 560 manifold and go to the CIS-E injection...one day when I have money to burn since it's only a bit more power for a large amount more money...and a bit of complication.
    The 5.6 was my next guess. See we knew you would break and tell us early. Just like my ex's, they could never keep anything from :dragon . Everyone always cracks, you didn't even take that long.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    The 5.6 was my next guess. See we knew you would break and tell us early. Just like my ex's, they could never keep anything from :dragon . Everyone always cracks, you didn't even take that long.

If I didn't want to tell you, I would never, but I wanted to say since day one, so it was pretty easy to break me on this.
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    If I didn't want to tell you, I would never, but I wanted to say since day one, so it was pretty easy to break me on this.

Laughing.gif
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    Laughing.gif

BTW, you sure the objects in the mirror aren't losing?
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    I'm changing your name to FrankenBenz.
    Erik

• Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    BTW, you sure the objects in the mirror aren't losing?

Well they appear to be loosing.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2006
    I remember my old Benzy. 1985 500SEL euro spec. I think I remember reading somwhere around 250hp, but not sure. Man I miss that car.

• Options
    edited October 5, 2006
    antrieb wrote:
    I remember my old Benzy. 1985 500SEL euro spec. I think I remember reading somwhere around 250hp, but not sure. Man I miss that car.

Well, with a euro exhaust system that would have been 231hp in 1985, though it's likely that you got cats and such as part of the federalization, probably closer to 215hp. MB made good use of limited power. That car probably ran a 7 second 0-60.
  • Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2006
    Get out of town. I've never even seen that user name, but still that's really cool. Dugmar, if you're out there, when will we see a Shark Injector for the V8's?

That is entirely up to Mr. Conforti. At the moment he is still focusing on the post 02/2003 E46 cars and the new 335i.
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2006
    200kph is only 124.28mph.

Boring, been there, done that. How bout some real high speed stuff?

We have gone faster...

10546970-M.jpg

:D
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2006
    I wish I would have found this thread earlier. Thanks to Erik (DoctorIT) I found my way here. I've been spending way too much time in that other forum, talkin' motorcycles.

Anyway, my name is Doug, I work at Turner Motorsport in Amesbury, Mass. I have been here since 1995. I met Will Turner in the 4th grade. We went from a 2-man operation in a 1-man office in 1995 to a 25 employee, 25,000 sq. foot facility. We have a pro race team, we race three cars in Grand Am Cup. Our drivers are Bill Auberlen, Boris Said, Will Turner, Don Salama, Chris Gleason and Anders Hainer. We race two E46 M3's and an E46 330. We also have a big tuning facility here, we strictly work on BMW and MINI.

We used also race in the SPEED Touring Car Championship. We won the overall championship in 2003 and 2004.

If you want to talk BMW or MINI, I'll be happy to offer my thoughts.

72639839-M.jpg