Options

The Car Talk Thread

Comments

• Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    When it comes to interior cleanliness, she's worse than Spike.

I doubt it
    19601684-L-2.jpg

That interior hadn't been cleaned for a couple of months when I took that picture, which explains why there is a pen there in plain view (99% of the time there is only 1 pen in the car and it is in the first aid kit...I hadn't cleaned my car for a couple of months so it was a bit of a mess :p). The other thing you see is the lens cap, obviously that went away once I was done taking the pictures.

And yes, there are floormats under my cocomats...and I have since cleaned that stain which was there since I was a little tyke.

Yes, those seats are beat up, but don't blame me. Remember, I'm as old as this car, so for many many years my dad (who thinks waxing a car twice a year is a lot and doesn't ever see the need to care for the leather) was in charge, plus it has been parked outside since 1994.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2006
    To me, it's just part of being a car guy. There are two things I look forward to most about coming home for vacations: washing/waxing the car and doing maintenance work in a garage rather than in a parking lot.
    Honestly mate i think i was like that when i was 20. Someone wanted to see the engine of my Golf yesterday & i had to get the manual out as i couldnt find the latch for the hood rolleyes1.gif

I opened the hood on my last 4x4 only to tie a garden sprinkler up on the underside of the hood after each time i drove it on the beach & leave it on for 5-10 mins to wash the salt out. If there are no warning lights on the dash & no puddles under it then why check levels i recon. They check all that stuff when they service it.

About the only thing im quite particular about is tyre pressure & i think that just comes from 25 years of road bikes.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited December 26, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    $40 is a steal, damn Ian! This price did include interior too - not that mom's car needed it. When it comes to interior cleanliness, she's worse than Spike. So bad she uses 2 layers of floormats. Drives me crazy, I catch the clutch on the second one all the time! lol3.gif

Yep. Interior too.

Oh and spike? You are lucky to have a place to wash your car. I don't
    otherwise I would have done it myself.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    Yep. Interior too.

Oh and spike? You are lucky to have a place to wash your car. I don't
    otherwise I would have done it myself.

Well, when I'm down at school I find a friend who has a driveway and a spigot and bring over a case of cream soda.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited December 26, 2006
    Well, when I'm down at school I find a friend who has a driveway and a spigot and bring over a case of cream soda.

That's the difference between you and me. Rather than impose on my
    buddies, I'll go to the car wash. But hey, if the MB dealer goes there
    every day, it can't be all that bad now. Can it?

Look at it on the bright side, I don't have to haul all that crap around in the
    trunk :D
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    That's the difference between you and me. Rather than impose on my
    buddies,

They keep the case of cream soda. They aren't even home most of the time, so they don't care.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 27, 2006
    I doubt it.
    You really are the biggest f'ing snob I've ever met. lol3.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited December 28, 2006
    How heavy is your keychain? I think all of us who read this thread know enough about cars that we know heavy keychains wear out ignitions, but I'm just curious how heavy peoples' keychains are.
    108152816-M.jpg mine is 0.5oz (it doesn't look it in the picture but the leather is navy blue) and on it I put nothing other than my car key. All other keys go on a separate. I was going to buy another (different) MB chain to save this nice one that is no longer made what with its leather and all, but they told me it was 1.3oz...too heavy for me.
    Richard
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2006
    How heavy is your keychain? I think all of us who read this thread know enough about cars that we know heavy keychains wear out ignitions, but I'm just curious how heavy peoples' keychains are.
    mine is 0.5oz (it doesn't look it in the picture but the leather is navy blue) and on it I put nothing other than my car key. All other keys go on a separate. I was going to buy another (different) MB chain to save this nice one that is no longer made what with its leather and all, but they told me it was 1.3oz...too heavy for me.
    Richard

I have three. One spare ring that has my keyfob, and ignition key that sits in my pocket, one ignition key in my other pocket, my driving keys that has my house key and three car keys and a key fob, then my other key ring that has about a pounds worth of keys on it but is used only for unlocking doors.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2006
    Why do you carry so many car keys with you at once?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2006
    I think all of us who read this thread know enough about cars that we know heavy keychains wear out ignitions,

headscratch.gif Can you explain this one to me? Whoooooooooooooosh.
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2006
    Why do you carry so many car keys with you at once?

You only get 4 roadside emergency calls with the new AAA policy when you have the gold rv account. When you have a key in almost every pocket you never lock your keys in the car, thats why I carry so many keys. Cause otherwise I'd get stuck waiting in the cold way toooo often.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    headscratch.gif Can you explain this one to me? Whoooooooooooooosh.

Andy the weight of a heavy key chain, combined with the vibrations of the car, can overtime loosen the ignition and eventually cause the car to shut off on its own while driving if the ignition gets to loose, plus it can cause other problems over time as well. Needless to say a heavy keychain is a bad idea.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2006
    Andy the weight of a heavy key chain, combined with the vibrations of the car, can overtime loosen the ignition and eventually cause the car to shut off on its own while driving if the ignition gets to loose, plus it can cause other problems over time as well. Needless to say a heavy keychain is a bad idea.

So, don't use this as a keychain?

data%5Cimages%5CSB850bi.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2006

Yup. Or if you happen to own an old Mercedes (I don't know how newer cars do it...and no, I haven't been so unlucky to have this happen to me), the igntion will be stick for a few days and then one day you will go to the car and find the key won't turn the ignition any more. When this happens, you will spend an entire weekend (or be billed about 14 hours by your mechanic) tearing things apart to get the ignition module out...it involves the use of a sawzall.
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2006
    Yup. Or if you happen to own an old Mercedes (I don't know how newer cars do it...and no, I haven't been so unlucky to have this happen to me), the igntion will be stick for a few days and then one day you will go to the car and find the key won't turn the ignition any more. When this happens, you will spend an entire weekend (or be billed about 14 hours by your mechanic) tearing things apart to get the ignition module out...it involves the use of a sawzall.

Yup that happened to me on my Astro van (PO Used heavy keys for years), but I just busted it up, wired the busted peices back together and am waiting for the weather to warm up before I replace the steering column. Luckily it's only a spare car now lol.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    So, don't use this as a keychain?

data%5Cimages%5CSB850bi.jpg

If you want to keep track of the bathroom key thats fine. Don't hang it from your ignition though.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2006
    Yup that happened to me on my Astro van (PO Used heavy keys for years), but I just busted it up, wired the busted peices back together and am waiting for the weather to warm up before I replace the steering column. Luckily it's only a spare car now lol.

MB put the ignition in the dash, then surrounded it in about 2 inches of steel so that it can't simply be busted up. If you can turn the key you can get the bezel off, and then piece by piece unscrew things, but if you can't turn the key...good luck.
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2006
    MB put the ignition in the dash, then surrounded it in about 2 inches of steel so that it can't simply be busted up. If you can turn the key you can get the bezel off, and then piece by piece unscrew things, but if you can't turn the key...good luck.

Yeah the Malibu I bought has the ignition in the dash as well, but it's a newer car so its mainly plastic so it will be alot easier to take apart (or bust up if I need to).
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 29, 2006
    I have three. One spare ring that has my keyfob, and ignition key that sits in my pocket, one ignition key in my other pocket, my driving keys that has my house key and three car keys and a key fob
    I wonder if the new Boieng has that many redundant backups. lol3.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited December 29, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I wonder if the new Boieng has that many redundant backups. lol3.gif
    I'm an IT Director, redundant backups is my thing. :dragon

Like right now I need a new server, so instead of ordering 1 I am ordering 2 dual core dual processor servers. Muahahahaha.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    antriebantrieb Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2006
    My key chain = lighter than Richard's :p

116552990-M.jpg
    Photography runs in my blood :andy

http://zwilliams.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2006
    Hey, you have a thinkpad too, good choice.

Yeah, I used to just use a ring that I took off of a keychain (i.e. weighned nothing) but I got tired of actually having to put my hand in my pocket to feel my key to check that I have it.

Speaking of keys, put some graphite in the driver's side door lock, smooooooooth.

Fixed my cruise control today too (hadn't worked since before I could drive, on a whim replaced the amplifier and now it works). It's funny, I never use cruise control but it feels so good to have it working again.
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2006
    Speaking of keys, put some graphite in the driver's side door lock, smooooooooth.

Yebut you get black graphite marks on any light coloured pants/what-ever for the next year. There are dry silicon sprays that avoid this.
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Yebut you get black graphite marks on any light coloured pants/what-ever for the next year. There are dry silicon sprays that avoid this.

You know, I was scared of that happening when the wind blew some of it at me, but I quickly shook everything and it came off. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2006
    SON OF A...

truck knocks a low dead branch into the street, i hit my brakes...but for some reason so does the car on my left so I can get only so far to the left...I saved the bodywork but it smacking into the mirror at about 35mph and it was a big ass branch. Luckily the mirror is on springs, but the force of impact was still enough to break the mirror glass (and I'll have to see about the motor tomorrow). If it's just the glass $120, if it's the motor too $400...damn. Either way I may replace the whole unit since I'm restoring it anyways.
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2007
    I always alway take the camera with me when we leave town for a drive....you never know what you will see eek7.gif Taken this morning
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2007
    gus wrote:

And there are cars that avoid keys. mwink.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2007
    gus wrote:
    I always alway take the camera with me when we leave town for a drive....you never know what you will see eek7.gif Taken this morning

Vroom, vroooomm! Did you drag race him? He looks like he is training for Daytona rolleyes1.gif

...and I love the personalized tag (license plate)11doh.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    And there are cars that avoid keys. mwink.gif

And batteries that go dead and leave you stranded.