Options

The Car Talk Thread

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    I had a '77 2lt seamus ..not quite what you are looking for.

btw ..how cool is this thing, 400 hp ?

• Options
    VespaFitzVespaFitz Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    Here's my daily driver.

It's a 1995 Saab 900 S (non-turbo, 5-speed) with 196,600 on the clock as of this morning. I paid $1,500 for it a year ago December 31 and I've put around 20,000 miles on it since.

137826482-M.jpg

I took this photo after I'd driven it down to Hershey PA from Vermont last year with a bad clutch. It made it down there and back with no issues whatsoever, but I had the clutch done a week later.

I've done automotive action photography out of the rear hatch. In fact, I photographed this Opel Manta that day:
    137827174-L.jpg

137827545-L.jpg
  • Options
    antriebantrieb Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    tsk1979 wrote:
    Please say its a Beemer. From your gallery it looks that you have very very good taste :D.
    135656013-L.jpg

135508725-L.jpg

:D

It currently has a 3.0L V8 but it is at the end of its life.
    Photography runs in my blood :andy

http://zwilliams.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    raceMpower95raceMpower95 Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    You could start with me. :D

Over the years, we have strived to make this a community forum, with a friendly feel. Sub-forums for every tiny little niche is something we've always avoided. Photography is photography, whether its cars or birds, to a certain extent, it shouldn't matter here.
    I understand. I didn't mean it in an attempt to split anything up. I was just thinking it would cool to have a place for all the people who specialize in automotive photography to share their tips & tricks. No big deal. I'll just post up in here I guess.

Antrieb: That E34 is looking sick. Any plans for building the new motor?
    Canon EOS 40D w/BG-E2 vertical grip
    Canon EOS 20D w/BG-E3 vertical grip
    Tokina AF 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 AT-X DX
    Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0
    L
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
    Canon EF 70-200 f/4.0
    L
    Canon 580 EX II
    Alien Bee Studio Strobes w/ Cybersync Triggers + VII Powerpack
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2007
    Antrieb: That E34 is looking sick. Any plans for building the new motor?
    Yup, but not this time. Next winter I am putting the 3.0 heads on to raise the compression up to around 12:1. Then cams, cats, and intake and hopefully it will be over 300whp.

Either that or some kind of custom Eaton supercharger.

You on bf.c?

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    VespaFitz wrote:
    Here's my daily driver.

It's a 1995 Saab 900 S (non-turbo, 5-speed) with 196,600 on the clock as of this morning. I paid $1,500 for it a year ago December 31 and I've put around 20,000 miles on it since.
    Hiya fitzy wave.gif

Nice shots!
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2007
    gus wrote:

eek7.gif

A Citroen with an LS1... I'm pretty sure thats one of the signs of the apocalypse.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 22, 2007
    VespaFitz wrote:

137827545-Th.jpg
    Fitz!!!!

You clown, how the hell are you!?!! wave.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    VespaFitz wrote:
    137827545-L.jpg
    Cool angle on that shot. I need to find a cresting road like that near me. :)
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Wow I would love a flying car.

• Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    Man, I love the looks of those old Opels. I think the old frogeye GT is one of the best looking cars of all time.
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2007
    mercphoto wrote:
    Cool angle on that shot. I need to find a cresting road like that near me. :)

Thanks!

I find 'em everywhere as a backup if I can't find a background that's pretty neutral. I don't shoot cars on grass at all, and being in Vermont, the backgrounds kind of start looking all the same with nothing but trees back there.

Every now and then I get lucky and find the ideal spot. This one was in downtown Albany, NY, believe it or not.

35225817-L.jpg

Hi DoctorIT! wave.gif

I hear you're headed down under! And congrats on your impending nuptuals!
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2007
    VespaFitz wrote:
    35225817-S.jpg

Nice shot!
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    VespaFitz wrote:
    137827174-Th.jpg

137827545-Th.jpg

You're getting good! nod.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    You're getting good! nod.gif

Thanks Waxy!

Hiya Cletus! wave.gif
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2007
    cletus wrote:
    Nice shot!

Thanks!

Every time I look at stuff, all I see is what I did wrong. I should've bounced a little light on the nose with a reflector. That would've really lit it up.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 23, 2007
    VespaFitz wrote:
    Thanks!

Every time I look at stuff, all I see is what I did wrong. I should've bounced a little light on the nose with a reflector. That would've really lit it up.
    Dood! you're talking like a photog geek, what happened to the old Fitz? lol3.gif

But seriously, your shots are awesome - it helps that you know the cars like nobody's business, but you really have a natural eye for backgrounds and settings that make the cars look hot.
    thumb.gif

And thanks, we're psyched, for all sorts of reasons. :D Send our best to L and K, we miss you guys!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited March 24, 2007
    Tee hee http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hzRLG8dA-E Obviously the wrecking ball wouldn't do anything, but fun nonetheless.
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    that video is gone :(
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2007
    that video is gone :(

Aw poo, and I can't find another version of it. Basically, they (Top Gear) had an old toyota truck, crashed it into things, dropped things on it, parked it in a high tide area and the when the tide came it it broke it free from its retaining ropes and the car sunk to the bottom, set it on fire, and put it on top of a high-rise that was to be demolished then blew up the high rise, and after all that, without replacing any parts (though the mechanic had to do some work, but he was only allowed normal hand tools - wrenches, sockets, crowbar, hammer, screwdrivers), it worked (though, obviously it wasn't road worthy.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2007
    Car of Tomorrow???
    So I keep reading about fans, teams and drivers complaining about NASCAR's "Car of Tomorrow". What's funny to me is that everyone seems to skip over the irony of the Car of Tomorrow name. Given the technology in these things wouldn't it be more accurate to call it the Car of 40 Years Ago???

BMW is building cars without throttle bodies where the amount of air coming into the engine is controlled by varying valve lift. Several car makers are building engines that use direct injection of fuel to cool the intake charge and allow higher compression ratios. Audi is winning prototype sports car races with a diesel engine.... And NASCAR comes up with a new chassis and new body work, slaps the same solid axle in the back and the same 2 valve push rod V8 in the front and decides to call it "The Car of Tomorrow"??? The things probably still use chain as a component of the rear suspension (IIRC Cup cars use link chain to limit the travel of the rear axle if the back end of the car completely unloads.)

I understand that NASCAR is all about the show and not about the technology but please don't kid yourselves by calling it the Car of Tomorrow.
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    Aw poo, and I can't find another version of it. Basically, they (Top Gear) had an old toyota truck, crashed it into things, dropped things on it, parked it in a high tide area and the when the tide came it it broke it free from its retaining ropes and the car sunk to the bottom, set it on fire, and put it on top of a high-rise that was to be demolished then blew up the high rise, and after all that, without replacing any parts (though the mechanic had to do some work, but he was only allowed normal hand tools - wrenches, sockets, crowbar, hammer, screwdrivers), it worked (though, obviously it wasn't road worthy.

Ahhh I member that one. Antrieb posted it awhile back i think.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    cletus wrote:
    I understand that NASCAR is all about the show and not about the technology but please don't kid yourselves by calling it the Car of Tomorrow.
    I agree completely but I'll do you one better. How do they call these stock cars? Find me the production version of any of these "stock" cars that have carburetors, distributors and points, V8's, rear wheel drive, solid rear axels, etc. Heck some of the street versions are only available as 4-doors.

Car of Yesterday indeed.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2007
    cletus wrote:
    I think a good chunk of the reason for the car is driver safety and shaving costs to compete in Nextel. I don't think performance is high on the list. In fact, I understand they're only running one restrictor place race with the thing this year, because they're not sure how it will affect competitiveness on superspeedways.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    ...shaving costs to compete in Nextel. I don't think performance is high on the list...
    NASCAR wants to and needs to bring costs under control. The problem is the way they're introducing the CoT cars is actually going to cost more money. Now everybody has to work on both the CoT cars and the older cars and try to keep both competitive. The big teams probably have enough personel to have one crew dedicated to working on and developing the CoT car while another crew is dedicated to the up keep of the older style car. The smaller teams probably don't have enough crew to do things like that.

They should have just finalized the design, published every single spec about the car and then made sure all the teams got the new cars at the same time. Then say 'alright no CoT cars for 2007, everybody runs CoT for every race in '08.' Also, if there's not already one in place, they would need a rule limiting the amount of on track testing time everyone gets. Hell if they really want tight competition for next year, allocate on track testing time by inverse order of point standing. Guys at the bottom of the points get the most on track testing time, guys at the top of the point standings get very little track time.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2007
    A fan told me NASCAR's worried the new car might lead to no passing on the fast ovals, which explains the staggered introduction. They're being cautious.

I assume the lower costs will be for next year and onwards. Although if you ask me, trying to contain costs in racing is like asking a kid not to eat candy. Ain't gonna happen, there are always ways for richer teams to outspend poorer teams.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Although if you ask me, trying to contain costs in racing is like asking a kid not to eat candy. Ain't gonna happen, there are always ways for richer teams to outspend poorer teams.
    nod.gif

But from what I've been reading NASCAR was getting way out of hand. I didn't realize that some of the big budget teams were running short track specific cars, intermediate track cars and super speedway cars. I've now gotten the impression that some teams have chassis that are dedicated to the extreme tracks like Michigan, Bristol and the road races. That's just plain stupid. Part of the point of racing on the different types of tracks is so that the good teams that can run well at any facility will rise to the top. The way things are now a good team that can adapt their equipment to different conditions can still get crushed by a big budget team that can afford to have a ringer car available for every race. Sounds like NASCAR has been asleep at the switch for a long time and now they're in a panic to get things under control. They may not be able to completely level the playing field but at least they can try to get things within reason.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2007
    cletus wrote:
    So I keep reading about fans, teams and drivers complaining about NASCAR's "Car of Tomorrow". What's funny to me is that everyone seems to skip over the irony of the Car of Tomorrow name. Given the technology in these things wouldn't it be more accurate to call it the Car of 40 Years Ago???

It's called the Car of Tomorrow because it is saying that in the future with super high powered cars we need to be more concerned with safety, and this car brings that future to now. The thing is, IMHO people don't go to races to watch cars go slower than they did last year, and on top of that ask any driver, things that make things "safer" but also make them more equal (like restrictor plates) actually make things more dangerous for the drivers. From the fan point of view, yeah cars doing 220mph would be dangerous for fans, but when you go to a race you cheat your way as close as you can to the fence and it's not because you think it's safe but because quite frankly you don't care you want to have fun and are willing to take the risk.

And there's no such thing as a poor team in NASCAR. Even the one car teams get enough money from that one sponsor to cover their costs. The benefit of having a multi-car team is - you can share parts/tires with each other more easily, you can share thoughts and advice with each other more easily, and you more easily find drafting partners.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2007
    And there's no such thing as a poor team in NASCAR. Even the one car teams get enough money from that one sponsor to cover their costs. The benefit of having a multi-car team is - you can share parts/tires with each other more easily, you can share thoughts and advice with each other more easily, and you more easily find drafting partners.

Just a few questions I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I honestly don't know the answers:
    • Any idea on the number of multi-car teams vs. single car teams?
    • Do some of the lower budget teams try to get by with one chassis while a bigger budget team would have a short track chassis and a super speedway chassis?
    • Does NASCAR have rules about how, where and when a team can do on track testing?
    • Has anyone ever done an estimate of what the per car budgets are and what the range of budgets from the front to the back of the field is like?