Options

SmugMug Feature Requests #4

Comments

• Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2006
    I'd like to be able to set more than one password to a gallery. The way I have it set up today is I apply the same password to all galleries and give the password to family and friends, meaning everyone with the password can view everything. If I could assign two or three passwords per gallery I could give the grand-pappy password (applied to all galleries) to those closest to me and give other passwords (applied to some galleries) to friends and acquaintances.

Icing on the cake would be a time-limited password, that would stop working after a week.

Malte
  • Options
    davidmigldavidmigl Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited November 11, 2006
    I'm in the process of adding watermarks to all my galleries - it actually goes pretty fast thanks to Firefox and its wonderful tabs :D.

But I'm thinking it might be nice to have a "bulk watermarking" feature so I can add/remove/change watermarks on many galleries at once.

Thanks in advance for reading this.
  • Options
    mferringmferring Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 12, 2006
    Photo drag feature for original size
    Sorry if this was already mentioned, but when a photo is opened full size and more then fills the screen, it would be great if you could just grab it and move it around vs having to scroll with the scroll bars.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2006
    mferring wrote:
    Sorry if this was already mentioned, but when a photo is opened full size and more then fills the screen, it would be great if you could just grab it and move it around vs having to scroll with the scroll bars.
    Thanks for the feature request thumb.gif
    and, wave.gif welcome to Dgrin!
  • Options
    igophotoigophoto Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited November 12, 2006
    I'd like the ability to travel in time through the smugmug portal so that I may go back and capture images throughout the centuries. I will provide the magic crystals.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2006
    igophoto wrote:
    I'd like the ability to travel in time through the smugmug portal so that I may go back and capture images throughout the centuries. I will provide the magic crystals.

Thanks in advance.
    I'll ask the SmugSorcerers to start working on this right away lol3.gif
  • Options
    JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2006
    igophoto wrote:

Thanks in advance.
    rolleyes1.gif I'd pay extra for that too!
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2006
    I feature my most recent galleries and I would like the featured galleries to sort themselves "automatically". If I have four featured galleries and feature a new gallery as number one, I'd like the one which was previously number one to be bumped to number two and so on.

Malte
  • Options
    igophotoigophoto Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited November 13, 2006
    Albums, Albums, Albums...

That would let my customers go online and design coffee table books and allow me to mark up the price accordingly.
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2006
    igophoto wrote:
    Albums, Albums, Albums...

That would let my customers go online and design coffee table books and allow me to mark up the price accordingly.
    w00t - yeah- you and me both! OK and many others, too. Yeah we know that you guys want this. And we do, too. Our engineers know that it's important, and are looking at it now. No promises on if/when/delivery though. Stay tuned!
  • Options
    coach-alcoach-al Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited November 13, 2006
    Quantity Discounts
    Hi all,

I'm sure this must have been mentioned before but nothing came up when I searched.

Anyway, I've wanted/needed quantity discounts for some time. A new photographer has opened shop and although his single photo prices are quite high, his quantity discount pricing is very agressive. I've always wanted to offer aggressive quantity discount pricing but have not found a way to do it through Smugmug.

I really don't see why it would be so hard to give us this feature. Like allow us to set a regular price plus a price related to a quantity. In other words:

Quantity 1 = 4.50
    Quantity 3 or more = 2.00 each

You get the idea. I know this would increase my business. At the least it would allow me to compete with this photographer without my hands tied.

If I have missed something and this feature is already available, please clue me in.

Thank you for listening.

Al
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2006
    Guest Rights
    I would like to be able to set a guest password and rights either per gallery or per category. I would like the rights to give the person the ability to upload photos to that gallery or category only and add/adjust the captions.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    Favorites help
    Creating a Favorites subsection in smugmug and then copying images is really a pain.
    It will be great if there is a way of having a pic shown in multiple galleries.
    For example it could be an option in the dropdown menu which says, also show in.
  • Options
    wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    EXIF GPSInfo via API
    I'd like to see the API provide geocoding data. I'd like my little downloader (AlbumFetcher) to be able to embed this data in images' EXIF headers just like it embeds captions and keywords in IPTC headers. Thanks! :D
  • Options
    vlherringvlherring Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited November 17, 2006
    Ability to Upload images directly from Aperture?
    I did some searching but didn't find a way to upload images directly from within Aperture...I can still export then import into iPhoto and upload but I was hoping to avoid that...or the export of images to a folder then upload from there....just a thought
    Victoria L. Herring
    http://www.JourneyZing.com
    Customized travel research and planning
    Through the eyes of JourneyZing, Images that will Transport You.
    Photographs at: http://gallery.journeyzing.com
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2006
    vlherring wrote:
    I did some searching but didn't find a way to upload images directly from within Aperture...I can still export then import into iPhoto and upload but I was hoping to avoid that...or the export of images to a folder then upload from there....just a thought
    psssssst....... over here :D
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2006
    wetsands wrote:
    Andy (or any of the smugmug crew),
    any word on getting that 800, 600, & 400 pixel width option under the digital download section yet? (that way we can still use a watermark on the original file).

Also, as previously mentioned in a prior comment, anyway to get the wording of 'Low Rez" changed to "small rez/ or small size" or something? I've had a few comments from potential customers concerning purchasing "low rez "files ( they believe the wording refers to a low quality file rather than a quality small file ).
    Thanks!
    jd
    For now, you must use the original size for this.
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2006
    dmc wrote:
    gee whiz, looking at the list of "current" FR's, I see almost no requests for enhancements to the picture viewing experience... I know I've been a broken record about new features within the current styles... specifically in the Journal style.... and I don't see it listed :cry ...

from 2 FR threads ago, Dec 2005.

Journal Medium/Large (or whatever size I want) plus allow me to select how many pics per gallery page...
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=206388#post206388

I've seen other requests to be able to see comments and add comments to pics while in journal style.
    thumb.gif
    You have the hack, I don't think journal will change much until some other things get done first. Sorry.
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2006
    renstar wrote:
    I'll second this.. and give power users backprinting or at least something new
    this will stay a pro feature.
    Also, a vote for panorama's (since EZ prints does them)
    Yeah!

And one more thing, id like to see the navigation buttons on the critique style bigger (as in buttons maybe, not text). I will get around to customizing them at some point, but frankly, i am perpetually having trouble finding them and i know people (like grandparents) that didnt even realize there were more images in the gallery
    Stop in the customization forum, I'm sure that the crew of helpers can get you going with some buttons.
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2006
    SteveM wrote:
    Not sure how doable this might be, but I know the photo replace feature is one-file-per in a command line fashion. Wouldn't it be possible to take the same idea, but use the Smuggy drag and drop? So when you'd click "replace photo (batch)" it'd bring up the same general watermark/move/delete batch GUI we're used to, the difference being each little thumbnail would be a tiny Smuggy face drag/drop window, with Smuggy replaced by our appropriate thumbnail. Seems like almost all the code is there, just would have to be reworked and each Smuggy instance would have to know where he belonged (to which file) and only allow for one file to be dropped. That certainly would make things a lot easier for batch replace and the new proof delays.

Steve
    www.downriverphotography.com
    Its a thought but I'm not sure it's possible. Thanks again.
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2006
    DodgeV83 wrote:
    #proof days:

PLEASE change this so I can set the Proof-Delay per PORTFOLIO instead of just PER GALLERY!
    you can add this to your gallery templates, that's the best we can do at the moment :D
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2006
    jpbeal wrote:
    I'd like to see the IPTC information in the original file get included in the 'smaller' versions that smugmug creates for viewing. it would be just one more level of protection for maintaining copyright to our work.

it would also be nice if the information entered into smugmug (keywords, captions, etc) were entered/added to the appropriate IPTC fields of the original. they would then go with the file as they are downloaded, regardless of how they are acquired.

thanks,
    jpbeal.
    Hi, at the current time, the latter is not possible. And the former, we don't do it because we want the files to remain small. Sorry.
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    I'd like to be able to assign (or not) guest passwords by gallery. That way I could be sure guests didn't retitle or reorganize galleries they have no business with while giving them effectively free access to certain galleries.

To make this more concrete, suppose I want to have some sort of photofinishing group project or contest with various people working on the same shot and uploading their completed versions to a specific gallery. And suppose this was publicized on the web. It'd be nice to restrict the access.

At a minimum, it be nice to have a gallery option to allow/prohibit guest access.

I read the help pages, and if they are up to date, there doesn't seem to be a good way to do this.
    Hi rutt, no plans at the moment to change guest access, sorry.
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2006
    This is a tiny request. In the cropping feature can we have a 7x5 in addition to 5x7. I find myself having to type this in the custom box way to often when uploading family photos where I want the orig on my harddrive so I just edit through SmugMug.
    thanks
    :D use "rotate crop" in the crop tool deal.gif
  • Options
    swrswr Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited December 7, 2006
    Batch Download...
    I get a lot of requests from my gallery viewers for an easy way to download multiple photos.

I typically just tell them to click "save photo" for each one they want... but many of them want a batch method.

Frequently this results in my friends/family bugging me to burn them a CD of the images.

Is it possible to do a batch download like is available in Gallery2? There you add the photos you want to your shopping cart and then instead of ordering prints you are able to download one large zip file of the photos.

I know I can direct them to the download utilities or SmugDAV. But that requires giving them my account information or setting up guest access on my Pro account.

thanks
    -sean
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2006
    swr wrote:
    I get a lot of requests from my gallery viewers for an easy way to download multiple photos.

I typically just tell them to click "save photo" for each one they want... but many of them want a batch method.

Frequently this results in my friends/family bugging me to burn them a CD of the images.

Is it possible to do a batch download like is available in Gallery2? There you add the photos you want to your shopping cart and then instead of ordering prints you are able to download one large zip file of the photos.

I know I can direct them to the download utilities or SmugDAV. But that requires giving them my account information or setting up guest access on my Pro account.

thanks
    -sean
    Thanks for the feature request, Sean!
  • Options
    NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2006
    Customize Gallery : Comments
    I was looking for a way to enable per-image comments, but disable gallery comments. Could the Comments option in Customize Gallery be split into two radio buttons? Or are you going to tell me to use CSS again? :D
  • Options
    BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 9, 2006
    Nimai wrote:
    I was looking for a way to enable per-image comments, but disable gallery comments. Could the Comments option in Customize Gallery be split into two radio buttons? Or are you going to tell me to use CSS again? :D

Well, yes, we're going to tell you to use CSS again :D

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=242923#post242923

thumb.gif
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    olegosolegos Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited December 9, 2006
    swr wrote:

I think this could be generalized. It would be great to select a number of photos, while going through them one at a time, and then apply any bulk action to the selection (move, copy, delete, download, order, rotate, add keywords, etc.) I think the best way to do this is with a small checkbox for "select this photo", in a Web2.0 way (with no page reload). This would be great.
  • Options
    limbiklimbik Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2006
    Well, I had quite a list when I started reading through this thread... I'll just recap my wishes since for the most part they have come up already (a few multiple times).

1. Photobooks/Albums/Coffee table books - This is HUGE! Biggest thing I wish could be done here.

2. Client picks system as discussed earlier, in some form or another. In addition to this, and somewhat related to #1, would be the ability to order softcover staple bound proof sheet books on the same page stock as the photo books. Nothing fancy, fast and cheap, if not staple bound books, at least cheap full page proof sheet prints.

3. Virtual gallery - Simply a convenience, since "make 2nd copy" works, but the virtual route would be a bit of a time and space saver.

Thanks for listening! thumb.gif