Star*Explorer Thread

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2004
    No problem
    I'll make the change..bowdown.gif
    For now just don't send configuration file it to aol accounts:-).

For the record: if anybody can break existing version within, say, 1 hour of work, I'll gladly pay this person $100. Cash. Offer stands valid until next Xmas or until password-less version comes out, whichever comes first, but it's good at least until next Monday noon.

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited December 6, 2004
    You have no idea...
    Humungus wrote:
    Someone will put all of this wonderful stuff that i have 100% absolutely no comprehension of what-so-ever into a ' clicky button ' at the end ...wont they ?
    ...how "close" you are saying this..:-)
    (sh-sh-hh, hope I didn't say it out loud just now:-)

Cheers!1drink.gif
  • luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2004
    I agree Don :)
    onethumb wrote:
    BTW, Nikolai, I highly recommend (per a previous conversation about encryption, etc) that you don't store the users login & password to disk in any form, including 'double encryption'.

Instead, use loginWithPassword once, and store the resulting UserID/PasswordHash and then use loginWithHash for all future logins. If/when it ever fails, then fallback to a dialog box prompting for username & password again (it will only fail if the user has changed their password on smugmug as a security precaution or something).

This provides for extra security in a couple of different ways.

Don
    I strongly agree.

If for no other reason that the passwords used by people on ecommerce sites are not things that should be dealt with lightly as they are often reused.

Luke
  • luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2004
    Laughing.gif, glad to hear it Nikolai
    Nikolai wrote:
    I'll make the change..bowdown.gif
    For now just don't send configuration file it to aol accounts:-).

For the record: if anybody can break existing version within, say, 1 hour of work, I'll gladly pay this person $100. Cash. Offer stands valid until next Xmas or until password-less version comes out, whichever comes first, but it's good at least until next Monday noon.

Cheers!1drink.gif
    Hey Nikolai,

Always nice to hear someone putting cash against their work. :D

If it was MSIL I'd gladly take your money [Just kidding there are clever string encryption tricks even in MSIL], but I doubt that I could learn enough about Delphi compilers to stand much of a chance in only an hour ;)

All the best,

Luke
    edited December 6, 2004
    Hey, it's no frigging MSIL:-)
    Hey Nikolai,

Always nice to hear someone putting cash against their work. :D

If it was MSIL I'd gladly take your money [Just kidding there are clever string encryption tricks even in MSIL], but I doubt that I could learn enough about Delphi compilers to stand much of a chance in only an hour ;)

All the best,

Luke
    And it's not only compiler... :-)
    But, hey, it will be over, like, tonite..

---(shameless brag)---
    Me and my friend wrote a nice text editor once - it was ol' gud' MS DOS 3.x days, we were learning assembler, and actually became quite good at it. So we wrote a little piece (32Kb) in pure assembler, which turned out to be quite capable text editor - lot's of block operations, syntax highlite, formatting - whole nine yards.
    It's been in USSR, so we quite naturally expected that our "ed.com" would be "borrowed without our permission". So we put a little protection, kinda similar to what I did in this case, and let it go.. Years later, already in US, I became aware that
    1) its "protection" became kinda famous
    2) there was a SINGLE fact, when a dedicated guy, running some kind of a monster disassembler tool in a protected mode (rememeber those modes?;-) on i386 managed not to remove the protection, but to bypass it - for that one single debugging session.
    Considering our price was $5, I think we did a pretty decent job..
    3) at those times I was a university professor teaching, apart from other things, computer science. I held an offer for the semester paper, that if anybody hacks our protection, this person would get A+. God knows, they tried. The whole city tried (kids have parents, parents have friends, you know how it goes). Offer stood for much longer than an hour - I was offering it to each new class I tought. Nobody ever claimed it.:-)
    ---(/shameless brag)---

Cheers!1drink.gif
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    Someone will put all of this wonderful stuff that i have 100% absolutely no comprehension of what-so-ever into a ' clicky button ' at the end ...wont they ?

Thats kinda what I was thinkin too....
    edited December 7, 2004
    New Version Uploaded: 0.0.0.22
    Direct download: http://nik.wyw.ru/download/smugmugexplorer/SmugmugExplorer_0_0_0_22.zip
    Home page updated (some facelifting):
    http://sklobovsky.nstemp.com/community/smugmug/

What's new in this version:
    • Password is no longer stored (Luke, Don - rejoice!:-). Instead, you'd be greeted with a (nice, I hope) login dialog whenever hashed information is not usable.
    • Account settings - test button now works
    • regular upload - uses md5 now
      upload via post still does not use it - waiting for the fix
    • Save settingas as a default set - confirmation dialog
    • Miscellaneous typos fixed.
    Enjoy!

Found a test-related issue and reuploaded: same zipfile name, but version is 26 and zip size is 407Kb
  • onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2004
    Nikolai wrote:
    Direct download: http://nik.wyw.ru/download/smugmugexplorer/SmugmugExplorer_0_0_0_22.zip
    Home page updated (some facelifting):
    http://sklobovsky.nstemp.com/community/smugmug/

What's new in this version:
    • Password is no longer stored (Luke, Don - rejoice!:-). Instead, you'd be greeted with a (nice, I hope) login dialog whenever hashed information is not usable.
    • Account settings - test button now works
    • regular upload - uses md5 now
      upload via post still does not use it - waiting for the fix
    • Save settingas as a default set - confirmation dialog
    • Miscellaneous typos fixed.
    Enjoy!

Nice! The md5sum on POSTed uploads should work fine now, but double-check and see.

FYI, what you're doing now (storing the hash) is exactly like storing a cookie. So you're using standard web browser security practices in your app. What's nice is that if the hash falls into the wrong hands, it won't let them get access to your account settings. (You must actually know your password and login name to get there @ smugmug). This includes changing passwords.

So your app has become more secure as a result, which is a good thing. I should probably explain this better in the API docs, since I'm sure it'll come up again.

Don
    edited December 7, 2004
    I'm not sure if you really meant "now"..
    onethumb wrote:
    Nice! The md5sum on POSTed uploads should work fine now, but double-check and see.

Don
    Just recompiled and tested - still the same error:
    [PHP]
    0:00:30: Multipart Post results
    <?xml version='1.0' encoding="iso-8859-1" ?>
    <methodResponse>
    <fault>
    <value>
    <struct>
    <member>
    <name>faultCode</name>
    <value>
    <int>4</int>
    </value>
    </member>
    <member>
    <name>faultString</name>
    <value>
    <string>Wrong format.</string>
    </value>
    </member>
    </struct>
    </value>
    </fault>
    </methodResponse>
    0:00:30: RPC-XML: Wrong format. (4)
    [/PHP]
    Shall I try later, or you need more work?ne_nau.gif
    edited December 7, 2004
    Reuploaded: same zip file name
    Found a test-related issue and reuploaded: same zipfile name, but version is 0.0.0.26 and zip size is 407Kb.
    Sorry about this.
    edited December 8, 2004
    Blog added
    In case anybody's interested in a "fresh from the oven" news, thoughts, plans and ideas - welcome to http://smugmugexplorer.blogspot.com/

Cheers!1drink.gif
  • flyingpylonflyingpylon Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2004
    I tried Smugmug Explorer for the first time today. It's very cool!

For some reason I don't seem to be able to upload files. The options under the Upload menu are grayed out. What might I be doing wrong?

One thing I would love to have available is the ability to export data from the application. What I need specifically is a way to get the original filename and smugmug ID for each image in a given album. I would need to export it into something like a CSV file or some other structured format that would allow me to import it into a database, etc. Is this something you have considered?
    edited December 8, 2004
    Some answers
    I tried Smugmug Explorer for the first time today. It's very cool!
    Thank you, appreciate it.
    For some reason I don't seem to be able to upload files. The options under the Upload menu are grayed out. What might I be doing wrong?
    You need to select the album first, and then drop some files or folders. You can do drag-n-drop several times. But - for now, if you change the album, list will be cleared. Multialbum upoload is in the works.
    One thing I would love to have available is the ability to export data from the application. What I need specifically is a way to get the original filename and smugmug ID for each image in a given album. I would need to export it into something like a CSV file or some other structured format that would allow me to import it into a database, etc. Is this something you have considered?
    No, I haven't. Still plenty of other things to consider first. Let's get back to this after the first release (see description of release terms on the home page:-)

Cheers!1drink.gif
  • gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2004
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thank you, appreciate it.

You need to select the album first, and then drop some files or folders. You can do drag-n-drop several times. But - for now, if you change the album, list will be cleared. Multialbum upoload is in the works.

No, I haven't. Still plenty of other things to consider first. Let's get back to this after the first release (see description of release terms on the home page:-)

Cheers!1drink.gif
    Answers before I've even asked the question, Thanks!!
    edited December 11, 2004
    New version - now with multialbum upload
    Latest version; Dec 10 2004, Version 0.1.0.28, 414 Kb, single exe in a zip.

Details and download links are at the product's home page: http://sklobovsky.nstemp.com/community/smugmug/

Enjoy!

PS
    Don (or anybody with the access to the Big Red Button) - may I ask to make this thread a "sticky" one?
    Or - may be even create a separate forum...
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2004
    Hi Nikolai,

thanks for your great program. I apreachiate your hard work.
    Nikolai wrote:
    Latest version; Dec 10 2004, Version 0.1.0.28, 414 Kb, single exe in a zip.

Details and download links are at the product's home page: http://sklobovsky.nstemp.com/community/smugmug/
    I discovered a bug with your newest version. It both affects single and multi album upload.
    When I finish a single-album upload and drag another set of pictures in, the old ones reappear in the upload list.
    The same for multi-album upload, the drag&drop ist isn't cleared somehow, but all old ones are kept and the new are added. This renders the multi-album upload unsuable for me and I've to restart the program after every upload.

Don't know why it seems to work for everyone else.

Bye and keep up the great work,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited December 12, 2004
    Sebastian, thanks a lot!
    Rest assured I will look into it asap. I also have few minor UI facelifts, so it might be useful afterall. Stay tuned, shouldn't take that long, just a few hours (need to do some family chores, too:-).

For the record: in the future if you can additionally report the issues and problems to the blog (you can always find it in the Help|About screen, current shortcut being F1:-). Those comments hit my gmail account almost instantly, so I'd be notified iimediately without checking the dgrin. Thank you!thumb.gif
  • unsavoryunsavory Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited December 12, 2004
    When I finish a single-album upload and drag another set of pictures in, the old ones reappear in the upload list.
    The same for multi-album upload, the drag&drop ist isn't cleared somehow, but all old ones are kept and the new are added.
    Same here. Even for single album uploads, I have to close the program and re-open it for every upload or the upload lists keep stacking and list keeps growing and growing.
    edited December 12, 2004
    Ooops. Nevermind. Should have checked the blog first. umph.gif
    edited December 12, 2004
    New version uploaded, issue with ver.28 fixed
    New version uploaded, 0.1.0.34, 415Kb. See the home page (in my sig)
    edited December 12, 2004
    Nikolai wrote:
    New version uploaded, 0.1.0.34, 415Kb. See the home page (in my sig)
    Wow, right at the 2 hour mark as promised. I'm impressed. mwink.gif

Thanks Nikolai! I'll give it a shot.
    edited December 12, 2004
    Woot! bowdown.gifthumb.gif

Looks like it is working now. I am setting it up to batch upload all of my photos. I'll have to manually create all the albums first :cry , but once that is done I'll let her rip and give you feedback. Might be tomorrow by the time it is done though. :D

Great work. Thanks Nikolai.
    edited December 12, 2004
    Glad it works now
    unsavory wrote:
    Woot! bowdown.gifthumb.gif

Looks like it is working now. I am setting it up to batch upload all of my photos. I'll have to manually create all the albums first :cry , but once that is done I'll let her rip and give you feedback. Might be tomorrow by the time it is done though. :D

Great work. Thanks Nikolai.
    Sorry about the issue, get spolied by our QA dept at work, they usually catch this sort of things pretty fast, so I don't have to worry about too much ;-)

Auto album creation - I need this myself. I also have about 5 years worth of pictures not uploaded. That was the whole reason I started to write this app..:-). As I mentioned before, the only current problems are
    • Impossibility to create categories/subcategories via API (Don! HELP!bowdown.gif )
    • Need nice and clean UI solution for it. I want it to be "compatible" with the existing UI (which, I hope, is simple and logical enough to use it without scratching your head TOO much, hehe:-), so you'd have a complete control over the upload process (sorting wise). Have some ideas, though, will give it a try today..
    Having said that - if you're not in a great hurry, I'd wait. I'm 90% positive this will be done before XMas..
    Cheers!1drink.gif
    edited December 12, 2004
    Old versions are removed from the download section
    So old links can be broken.

I will try to keep previous version for a while after uploading a new one, but remove it as soon as I get the feeling the new one is ok (or the old one has unavoidable issues).

Just FYI..

Cheers!1drink.gif
    edited December 12, 2004
    OK, I finally got all the Categories/Subcategories manually created.

I am currently batch uploading about 6500 pics which turns out to be about 15 gigs or so (old 2.2MP camera on the older ones. :puke1 ).

Looks like it is working!

Now if SmugMug will just get sorting beefed up, I will be one heck of a happy camper. :D:D:D

I'll let you know when it is done. But 15gig through HTTP Post can take a while. ne_nau.gif

Thanks again for the great tool.
    edited December 12, 2004
    You're welcome!
    unsavory wrote:
    OK, I finally got all the Categories/Subcategories manually created.

I am currently batch uploading about 6500 pics which turns out to be about 15 gigs or so (old 2.2MP camera on the older ones. :puke1 ).

Looks like it is working!

Now if SmugMug will just get sorting beefed up, I will be one heck of a happy camper. :D:D:D

I'll let you know when it is done. But 15gig through HTTP Post can take a while. ne_nau.gif

Thanks again for the great tool.
    Thank you for the feedback!

Sorry I'm not ready with autocreation feature.. But I know the rash.. I uploaded all my originals (for them I was using album-per-month, so it was not that much of a work to create categories/subcategories/albums manually) as soon as I got first version working.
    But NOW I'm gonna be real patient and wait until I make this part working:-)

Cheers!1drink.gif
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2004
    Good grief, you lads sure upload a lot of shots!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited December 12, 2004
    hey..
    wxwax wrote:
    Good grief, you lads sure upload a lot of shots!
    isn't this what "unlimited" is for?;-)
    Cheers!1drink.gif
    edited December 12, 2004
    Nikolai wrote:
    isn't this what "unlimited" is for?;-)
    Cheers!1drink.gif
    Yeah, my only fear is that it becomes no longer profitable for them to allow unlimited storage space to their users. I suppose their thinking is that the mojority of their users are not going to upload gigs and gigs of photos so it works out for them.

I hope they can continue to offer this "unlimited" service in the future.
    edited December 12, 2004
    Why would they publish API then?
    unsavory wrote:
    Yeah, my only fear is that it becomes no longer profitable for them to allow unlimited storage space to their users. I suppose their thinking is that the mojority of their users are not going to upload gigs and gigs of photos so it works out for them.

I hope they can continue to offer this "unlimited" service in the future.
    My understanding from various discussions was that this is really unlimited, not just because one actually can't upload 10Gb in one shot (which one can now:-)thumb.gif

Cheers!1drink.gif