Star*Explorer Thread

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2005
    Oops, you're right, and I'm wrong..
    Nik,
    I think you overlooked a word...Eugene was refering to the image id:
    If I'm not mistaken that's not possible with SE, yet, but it'll be in some time. We all have to be patient a littlemore I guess.

Sebastian
    That's why we have QA at work, to correct a programmer :-)
    I apologize for the confusion..

I will add this option to logging part for now. *Eventually* there will be an easier way.
    ETA - tonight (GMT-8), if other thing is ready. In any case it will be in the next version, whenever it'll happen..

Thanks Eugene and Sebastian!

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2005
    I was too harsh on myself too fast:-)
    Nik,
    I think you overlooked a word...Eugene was refering to the image id:
    If I'm not mistaken that's not possible with SE, yet, but it'll be in some time. We all have to be patient a littlemore I guess.

Sebastian
    Yes, I overlooked the word, but it IS a way to get image ids even now:-)
    Got to Options, Log and Terminal, and check "Log HTTP responses" on.
    Click OK and proceed with uploads. Once upload's finished, go to the terminal window (Ctrl+T) and you will see a bunch of results that look like follows:
    [PHP]
    0:32:47: Multipart Post results
    <?xml version='1.0' encoding="iso-8859-1" ?>
    <methodResponse>
    <params>
    <param>
    <value>
    <int>18331179</int>
    </value>
    </param>
    </params>
    </methodResponse>
    [/PHP]

If those you want are already "scrolled out" you can go to full log file (Tools|View Log file..).
    I know it is a bit cumbersome, but hey, it's still faster than go online for each picture:-)
    And I promise I'll make more straightforward way asap - and you guys gonna love it:-)

HTH

Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2005
    Now you're right!
    Nikolai wrote:
    Yes, I overlooked the word, but it IS a way to get image ids even now:-)
    Thanks! Since everything was so smooth without major bugs I never used these logging options anymore and so I missed this great feature. Dang. umph.gif
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    eugeneeugene Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited March 27, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    However, there are many ways to get new album id without going online to SM even with the existing version.

Actually I need the Image id, not the album id, if you can add that, it would be great.
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2005
    eugene wrote:
    Actually I need the Image id, not the album id, if you can add that, it would be great.
    Just have a look at Niks last post...this is the way to go until he releases a new version.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2005
    See above:-)
    eugene wrote:
    You're correct, I misread your post, but getting image id is possible too;-) See my other reply:-)
  • Options
    victorvictor Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited March 29, 2005
    running SE on Win XP with a non-Administrator user
    Woohoo, great tool!!!

One small issue ... I've installed SE using XP's Administrator account and when using my non-privileged user account I'm not able to start SE - it complains about having no privilege to write to C:\Programmes\Smugmug Explorer\Data\.

I eventually got SE to work by creating a Data folder in "Smugmug Explorer" and giving my account some access rights to it.

Is there a way to get SE to use the account-specific folders for \Data? Or should I use XP's "Run As..." command to run SE with admin rights?
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2005
    Victor
    victor wrote:
    Woohoo, great tool!!!

One small issue ... I've installed SE using XP's Administrator account and when using my non-privileged user account I'm not able to start SE - it complains about having no privilege to write to C:\Programmes\Smugmug Explorer\Data\<DATE>.

I eventually got SE to work by creating a Data folder in "Smugmug Explorer" and giving my account some access rights to it.

Is there a way to get SE to use the account-specific folders for \Data? Or should I use XP's "Run As..." command to run SE with admin rights?
    Thank you for your feedback, I really appreciate your kind words!thumb.gif

You brought up a very valid point. Data folder MUST be located in a writeable place.. I will try to make this change asap..
    Since I'm in the middle of something relatively big I will not be able to deploy this fix right now. However it will most likely make the next deployment, ETA coming weekend.
    Thanks again - and stay tuned!
    Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    victorvictor Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited March 30, 2005
    more on using SE with unprivileged XP users
    Nikolai wrote:
    Data folder MUST be located in a writeable place.. I will try to make this change asap..
    Thanks for the very quick reply. Very impressive!

I've found that SE saves its config in \Programmes\Smugmug Explorer\SmugmugExplorer.ini and smugmugexplorer.smg. This means that an unprivileged user also needs write access to SE's install folder.

Victor
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2005
    Another good point!
    victor wrote:
    Thanks for the very quick reply. Very impressive!
    Thank you:-)
    victor wrote:
    I've found that SE saves its config in \Programmes\Smugmug Explorer\SmugmugExplorer.ini and smugmugexplorer.smg. This means that an unprivileged user also needs write access to SE's install folder.
    Victor
    yeah, I know.. :-(

I will change all that along with those changes we spoke about before. Essentially, all writeable files will go by default to
    %documents and settings%\all users\applicationdata\smugmugexplorer\
    and you will be able to change its location to something else..

Again, hopefully this weekend:-)

Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2005
    Rules have been changed..
    As of April 2 2005, Smugmug disallowed usage of its brand name/logo in 3d party products.
    As a 3d party vendor, I have no other choice but to comply with this request.
    The product name and its icon will change soon, so will the URL.
    However I will make it my top priority to provide the smoothest possible transition. I apologize for any inconvenience.
    Thank you for your patience!

Nikolai Sklobovsky

PS
    I will also post this as a separate thread
  • Options
    caseservecaseserve Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2005
    Unable to run?
    I'm having problems running the app. I'm getting msdart.dll errors. Has anybody else received these errors?

If so what did you do.

thanks
    John
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2005
    John,
    caseserve wrote:
    I'm having problems running the app. I'm getting msdart.dll errors. Has anybody else received these errors?

If so what did you do.

thanks
    John
    I apologize for the errors.
    I received your email.
    I think the problem is with missing gdiplus.dll. I sent you some ideas. Please keep me posted.
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2005
    DLLs
    I learned that many users do not put DLLs where they are supposed to be and then experience hard time to get the product work.
    Next version of S*E will come with DLL detection built in, in the mean time I put a small executable on the download page. If you just downloaded S*E and it "does not want to run", please download this tool (it's only 200Kb), put it next to the starexplorer.exe and run it.

Also: it's NOT recommended to download S*E directly to your desktop. Windows sometimes does funnny things with the executables put on a desktop, replacing them with shortcuts, etc. It's always a good idea to have a separate Download folder and save stuff ftom the Internet there (create a folder for each product).

HTH

Nik
  • Options
    MakiMaki Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited May 3, 2005
    Old Category/Subcategory info
    Hi Nikolai!

Odd thing, this... but if you've already discussed this, forgive me.

I happened to open SE offline to see how my cat/subcat was arranged (in Categories with Albums tab) and I found some old categories that I no longer use. I figure I just didn't update my list, so I update at home and everything is super.

Now, I just created a new gallery, and WHAM... back to the old info. Any thoughts?

Running v1.0.0.123 -- I saved the log file but not sure if that would help.

Hope you're enjoying your time in Yosemete!
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2005
    Hi Maki
    Maki wrote:
    Hi Nikolai!

Odd thing, this... but if you've already discussed this, forgive me.

I happened to open SE offline to see how my cat/subcat was arranged (in Categories with Albums tab) and I found some old categories that I no longer use. I figure I just didn't update my list, so I update at home and everything is super.

Now, I just created a new gallery, and WHAM... back to the old info. Any thoughts?

Running v1.0.0.123 -- I saved the log file but not sure if that would help.

Hope you're enjoying your time in Yosemete!
    Sorry about this.. Probably the cache problem.. Did you create the gallery from S*E?

The most reliable way to clear the cache is to manually download *both* Albums and Galleries. I will (eventually) add some sort of utility button somewhere in Options. but for now this should do the job.

Please let me know if it did not.

Thank you!
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2005
    Star*Explorer download from Smugmug?
    Nik,
    Any chance of future star*explorer version supporting some type of bulk downloading FROM smugmug. I know many people use smugmug as a backup system. I just recently had a total hard drive failure and want to download alot of pics from smugmug. I'd love to be able to do it without having to buy the backup DVDs.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2005
    Most definitely, yes
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Nik,
    Any chance of future star*explorer version supporting some type of bulk downloading FROM smugmug. I know many people use smugmug as a backup system. I just recently had a total hard drive failure and want to download alot of pics from smugmug. I'd love to be able to do it without having to buy the backup DVDs.
    Ouch, truly sorry about this..
    Yes, image download is one of the most important next features to happen, many S*E users already asked for it. In the mean time (if you need them now) try smugmug exporter, that's what it does..

Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    flyingpylonflyingpylon Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    Ouch, truly sorry about this..
    Yes, image download is one of the most important next features to happen, many S*E users already asked for it. In the mean time (if you need them now) try smugmug exporter, that's what it does..
    This seems to be a hot topic recently. Just to clarify, Smugmug Exporter does not allow you to download the actual images, just the image metadata (ID, size, caption, etc.).
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2005
    Oops, my bad...
    This seems to be a hot topic recently. Just to clarify, Smugmug Exporter does not allow you to download the actual images, just the image metadata (ID, size, caption, etc.).
    I'm sorry, didn't mean to misinform..ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    MakiMaki Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited May 18, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    Sorry about this.. Probably the cache problem.. Did you create the gallery from S*E?
    Well, not exactly, as these are cats/subcats that were used before S*E. The new ones seem ok... well, sort of.
    The most reliable way to clear the cache is to manually download *both* Albums and Galleries. I will (eventually) add some sort of utility button somewhere in Options. but for now this should do the job.
    Ok, did that... seems to be working for the moment. Before trying this, it seemed to get worse. Every time I created a new gallery, I would have to download all galleries each time since it would revert to the old structure, and not show my new gallery. I just created several new ones to test (after downloading both as you asked) and it seems ok. The next time I batch upload and find the issue come up, I'll let you know.
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 18, 2005
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Nik,
    Thomas,

I have been developing a Firefox extension for Smugmug, and I have the download functionality that you are looking. It is still kinda of in beta and I haven't done a general release, but if you are interested in trying it, send me a PM.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2005
    New version uploaded
    http://www.starexplorer.com

Improved registration logic, etc.
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    http://www.starexplorer.com

Improved registration logic, etc.
    Thanks Nik, hope you enjoyed your off-coding time!
    The little doubleclick feature looks very useful, because it's faster than rightclick.
    Maybe you could make it customizable either by letting the user choose between open album, open statistics and customize album?! Even better might be adding support for modifiers: shift+dblclick=statistics and ctrl+dblclick=album settings clap.gif

Thanks!
    Have a nice weekend,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2005
    Thanks, Sebastian!
    Thanks Nik, hope you enjoyed your off-coding time!
    The little doubleclick feature looks very useful, because it's faster than rightclick.
    Maybe you could make it customizable either by letting the user choose between open album, open statistics and customize album?! Even better might be adding support for modifiers: shift+dblclick=statistics and ctrl+dblclick=album settings clap.gif

Thanks!
    Have a nice weekend,
    Sebastian
    I was thinking about smth like that, I like your idea. Will do!thumb.gif
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2005
    Upload / get albums / create albums / nothing working :(
    0:01:24: Started Gettings list of albums
    0:01:24: Started Getting albums for My Smugmug
    0:01:25: RPC-XML: invalid user (4)
    0:01:25: Finished Getting albums for My Smugmug (0:00:01)
    0:01:25: Trying to re-login
    0:01:25: Started Getting albums for My Smugmug
    0:01:25: Finished Getting albums for My Smugmug (0:00:00)
    0:01:25: Finished Gettings list of albums (0:00:01)

And when I went to create an album it also gave me an invalid user error too.... I can't do anything on it... I still have 13 days left for my trial-- what's going on?
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2005
    Shima,
    Shima wrote:
    0:01:24: Started Gettings list of albums
    0:01:24: Started Getting albums for My Smugmug
    0:01:25: Finished Getting albums for My Smugmug (0:00:01)
    0:01:25: Trying to re-login
    0:01:25: Started Getting albums for My Smugmug
    0:01:25: Finished Getting albums for My Smugmug (0:00:00)
    0:01:25: Finished Gettings list of albums (0:00:01)

And when I went to create an album it also gave me an invalid user error too.... I can't do anything on it... I still have 13 days left for my trial-- what's going on?
    Sorry about the troubles..:-(
    Did it work before and just stopped now, or you never had it working, period?
    If it did, can you please veryfy that you can actually go to smugmug online (via browser) and do something with your account?
    Lately several users experienced similar issues and on all accounts it was server-side problem, since their web access didn't work, too..:-(
    With all that Rafael Nadal' success SM can be a bit slow lately...

For faster support please use support@starexplorer.com.
    I may miss a post in a thread, but I never miss an email:-)
    Thank you!
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2005
    It worked without fault before... and then it just would not create albums or get albums without an invalid user error...

I still had complete functionality over my account on smugmug.com though, and was able to manually upload each file to the folder on there as a slower alternative...

It has magically started working like normal again now though, so now I am more confused as to why it temporarily didn't work! Who knows!?!

I will remember to email in the future.

One last quickie question- when my trial expires, if I don't purchase will I be locked out of using the program? I'll probably be purchasing it, but I was just wondering how that works. Thanks :)

Nikolai wrote:
    Sorry about the troubles..:-(
    Did it work before and just stopped now, or you never had it working, period?
    If it did, can you please veryfy that you can actually go to smugmug online (via browser) and do something with your account?
    Lately several users experienced similar issues and on all accounts it was server-side problem, since their web access didn't work, too..:-(
    With all that Rafael Nadal' success SM can be a bit slow lately...

For faster support please use support@starexplorer.com.
    I may miss a post in a thread, but I never miss an email:-)
    Thank you!
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2005
    Glad to hear this!
    Shima wrote:
    It worked without fault before... and then it just would not create albums or get albums without an invalid user error...

I still had complete functionality over my account on smugmug.com though, and was able to manually upload each file to the folder on there as a slower alternative...

It has magically started working like normal again now though, so now I am more confused as to why it temporarily didn't work! Who knows!?!
    I'm not sure what is exact reason (most likely servers overload), but it's definitely server-side. As I mentioned before, several S*E/SM users had similar symptoms which were magically cured when the owner visited his/her SM account..
    Shima wrote:
    I will remember to email in the future.
    Yes, please, way more reliable method:-)
    Shima wrote:
    One last quickie question- when my trial expires, if I don't purchase will I be locked out of using the program? I'll probably be purchasing it, but I was just wondering how that works. Thanks :)
    Yes, once the trial expires it will simply stop working.
    But hey, you still have 13 days or so left:-)
    Not that it matters since it's a one time deal, you don't have to repurchase it every year (even though I would not mind:-)

Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    winnjewettwinnjewett Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2005
    Nikolai,
    I just purchased a copy of star*explorer, but I forgot to input my smugmug account. One problem is that I use two of them. Will I have to purchase two licenses?

Thanks,
    Winn