Options

Show us your mug! Introduce yourself here.

Comments

• Options
    tsarvertsarver Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited April 6, 2006
    Hi, My name is Tom and I just joined today.
  • Options
    BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:

Looked like the wind was whipping that hair rolleyes1.gif (I can say that as I'm follicular challenged)

Good to see you thumb.gif
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2006
    tsarver wrote:
    Hi, My name is Tom and I just joined today.

Hey Tom,

Kinda date yourself with the vinyl-spinner in the background - Ahhh the good old day's - I still have a stack-of-wax myself but haven't spun any for quite a while.

Welcome thumb.gif
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    tsarvertsarver Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited April 6, 2006
    I Still spin a few, as I convert them to digital, so I can play them on my IPOD :D
  • Options
    sayntbrigidsayntbrigid Registered Users Posts: 381 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2006
    Hi peeps, looking forward to getting to know you....heres me:
    I really enjoy the new "popular photo" pages......todays, and all time......it really "opened up" Smugmug for me .....Thank You :)
    True happiness is wanting what you have
    http://avatars.imvu.com/sayntbrigidii
  • Options
    smhs.imagessmhs.images Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2006
    here i am
    A bit old, from October. Its a self portrait of me and my husband (my involuntary photo partner) in the bean, Chicago. The bean is otherwise known as CloudGate. And no we are not 2 feet tall...it's a funhouse effect!!!
    Shawna
    www.shawnaseto.com

Nobody gets in to see the wizard. Not nobody, not no how.

Join Smugmug get $5 bucks off!
  • Options
    maegandoughertymaegandougherty Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited April 8, 2006
    This is me on my honeymoon six months ago, taking pictures of myself to decide how to wear my hair for a cruise formal night. Picture me 35 pounds fatter! I'm become very lazy ( and hungry, I guess) since the wedding! :)

63454650-M.jpg
  • Options
    ryan_wedemeyerryan_wedemeyer Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited April 8, 2006
    63176926-M.jpg

this is what i look like to myself - on a good day.
  • Options
    dancinkatedancinkate Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2006
    Welcome everyone! clap.gif
  • Options
    yukiyubiyukiyubi Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited April 10, 2006
    Hello. This is me. I'm delurking now.
    125003956_393f3accb1.jpg
  • Options
    nateeboy68nateeboy68 Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited April 10, 2006
    nateeboy68
    Hello, this is me. I love my camera but am hoping to upgrade some day soon.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2006
    nateeboy68 wrote:
    Hello, this is me. I love my camera but am hoping to upgrade some day soon.

wave.gif welcome, Nate! And welcome all new n00bs :D
  • Options
    RedhedRedhed Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited April 10, 2006
    Hi everyone, I just joined last week. I'm pretty much an amateur...I like to think I have a good eye for photography, but I still have so much to learn about cameras, processing, editing, etc. I'm hoping that I can learn a bit here on dgrin! I'm just finishing up my freshman year at college and I grew up in New Jersey (much love to the Garden State). I've been through three digital cameras already...my current Kodak P850 is the first semi-advanced (SLR-like, manual contols available) camera I've ever had. I have a little experience with film from high school, but I completely prefer digital now.

Okay, here's a self-portrait taken this weekend:
    63847791-S.jpg
    It's too bad I look about 12 years old here. I'm really 18, I swear!

Talk to you all soon...
  • Options
    GoGoGoGo Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited April 10, 2006
    Hello,
    I just registered, today. I have just found this site and liked it right away so I thought that I would join. The photography bug has bitten me once again, and I hope to post some current work soon, in the mean time I hope to keep informed. Thanks for the great web site, I appreciate it.
    Ciao,
    GoGo

Giorgio
  • Options
    ArtesubArtesub Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited April 10, 2006
    Hi all,

I have joined smugmug/dgrin (pro account) for a little under 2 weeks, and so far I am very glad with this choice :):. I would like to thank Andy and others who have diligently answered my inquires and helped me out so far. Please see the comments (bellow) I gave on smugmug to a pro friend of mine that quickly looked at my site today and asked me about it...
    I also would like to take the opportunity and share my site with you for any sort of critique you can give (web design, photos etc). It is not completely finished yet, but the look is there (i think), and many more images/galleries willl be added in the following weeks...
    Thanks

Andre

Here is the link: http://www.artesub.smugmug.com/

Here is my response to my buddy:

Hey Andre,

It looks great! How did you do that? Could you tell me how you did? I'm interested. Any info appreciated. Masa

Hey Masa,
    Glad you liked it....!
    I opened a pro account with smugmug.... At a first glance, they look very "soccer-mom" style photo sharing provider and I was really in doubt if I could manage it to have my own style... but with their pro account, they really allow for lots of cutomization (mainly via co-branding with CSS), and the most valuable thing in my opinion is the profeesional support they have for account users. I knew nothing of CSS and very little HTML before joining, and through their forum and support i was able to learn how to add a bunch of cool stuff or modify my galleries and style the way I wanted....
    The slide show on the homepage, for example, is a javascript hack I took from the forum. The search bar is something they provide and you can easily add on to your custom navbar.... There are several gallery styles you can choose from, and they have a full printing/merchant solution with E/Z prints which provide high quality/low cost. Their uploading tool is very smooth and user friendly. Monthly bandwith is 32GB and they claim to provide unlimited storage...Also, besides all the custom cobranding CSS/HTML capability their backoffice tools provide some great and quick solutions for arranging, keywording and displaying photos once they are logged, and they do have full IPTC compatibility... ( I tested my keyword compatibility with photomechanic and everything is transferred great)
    There are a couple of problems, of course, they still don't have custom watermarking capability (although they have a couple of good solutions for protecting your images from downloading, including right-click protection) but they say they are working to implement that as well as digital download capability. Of course, you can add your own watermark before uploading, but that's the same file that goes straight to print.... Also, there are a few annoying things with the co-branding stuff. They have their own metatags, but on the other hand their styles are very keyword friendly, and this, at the end, is claimed to give you better hits on search engines ( I haven't tested this myself yet)... Also, you will need to stick with the "powered by smugmug" footer at the bottom of your page... but that isn't too much of a big deal for me anymore...As for the printing side, everything is branded by smugmug through E-Z prints (CC billing, shipping, etc) and appears to be very convenient, although currently it does not allow you to "brand" your name and logo with the final product itself...

In general, I see many pros using this solution, deffinetly great for a gallery style site, but maybe not the best for professional stock photography (although storage is unlimited, and their keyword bar seems to work great).

Andre
  • Options
    chandichandi Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    Hello all,

Glad to be on this forum and hope to learn atleast enough to be able to compete in the photo contests one day.

I just posted my first post in the de-lurking thread, so not a dgrin virgin anymore, but a noob anyway :)

Here's my favorite self portrait so far:
    25819932-L.jpg
  • Options
    PiEpPiEp Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited April 20, 2006
    Hi! My name is PiEp!
    Hi there all!

My name is Peter Kasbergen, aka PiEp. I am a semi-professional photographer, mostly working with ballroom and latin dance. I run my own site at www.piep.nu. I recently discovered smugmug as a great way to offer my site's gallery. It's now located at piep.smugmug.com. This is me:

peter_foto.jpg

Anyway, it's nice to meet you all and I hope to have a pleasant stay here.

Greetz,
    PiEp
  • Options
    SpeedyLizardSpeedyLizard Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited April 20, 2006
    Hey all... newbie here...
    596x450.aspx
  • Options
    xtnomadxtnomad Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    1st Self Mug Shot You Have Been Warned
    Hello Every One love The Site. thumb.gif66361285-M.jpg
    Heres One Of Me And My Best Photo Freind. Thank You. Rod M.
    xtnomad :wink
  • Options
    761761 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 8, 2006
    Hello. The only one I have right now.
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    Wasn't fragging a term from the Vietnam war?
    referring to shooting your commanding officer. (going from memory, and probably movie memory at that)

Frag = Fragmentation grenade

Shooting took patience ... tossing a frag was a lot easier, more random, more out of control .... much more fun. And a fragmentation grenade would/could also be used as a booby trap ...

-Gary-
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    Moi. A while ago ... just like the pix.
    28693876-L.jpg
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    andrealeevandrealeev Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited May 9, 2006
    hiya new here
    68701258-S.jpg
  • Options
    Bobsballoons.comBobsballoons.com Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited May 11, 2006
    While Hunter S Thompson may know something about going over the edge I know that a self portrait may be the only way that a photographer ever gets his picture taken.

One of my favorite subjects over the years is to take a shot of some one that is taking all the pictures at an event.

Norm Kent the famos skydivie photographer is my favorite subjects.

Other han that it is any thing that flies, planes, balloons, people...........
  • Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2006
    Late reply
    attachment.php?attachmentid=11313&stc=1&d=1142634586

pt04_01b.jpg

"Say Antonio, that picture wouldn't be from 1974 Would it?"

Justiceiro.
    Only today I saw your post.
    As a matter of fact I do have not received any e-mail letting me know someone answer to it.
    I saw it today by change...:):
    My picture is from, not 1974 but from 1972/73.
    You made a good point.
    I have no connection what so ever with the General ...
    Regards. thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    Bobsballoons.comBobsballoons.com Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited May 11, 2006
    Who am I ?
    My mug apears in only a few of the thousans of Hot Air Balloon pictures that I have taken.

I live in a target rich enviroment.

You do not have to be from the 60s to enjoy the colors.

Every time we leave the ground we are going to where only a few control their own destiny............................

www.floridaskyadventures.com

George Wheeler
  • Options
    LizaLiza Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited May 11, 2006
    Here's me and my 20D:

42552604_8f9bf5643d.jpg

This is one of a series of black and white self-portraits I did last fall. Sorry for the utter cheesiness, but it was fun. :D

64331382_a6c06eb07b.jpg
    Canon 20D | Canon 10D | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 100mm f/2 | 100mm f/2.8 macro| 200 f/2.8L | 70-200 f/4L | 75-300 USM II | Tamron 28-75 | Sigma 100-300 | 580EX | Tamron 1.4x T-con | Various and sundry p&s and film cameras
  • Options
    SeattleYatesSeattleYates Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited May 12, 2006
    First post (glug glug!)
    Hi all! I'm new here!

I shoot very little above water, as you can see from my new smugmug site (www.seattleyates.smugmug.com) and to a greater degree on my old site (www.seattleyates.com). Here's a shot I took of myself in the Maldives (Indian Ocean) a few years ago incorporating my two main hobbies (uw photography and motorcycles):
    K12LT%20&%20BY-2.jpg

And here's one someone recently took of me snapping pics of a nice tiger shark in the Bahamas:

BY%20w%20tiger%20in%20front%20-%20shrunken%20for%20web.jpg
    Bruce Yates
    Seattle, WA

Canon 5D MkII and 1Ds MkII (used mostly underwater), 1D MkIII for topside

www.UnderwaterReflections.com (my Smugmug site, customized by DGrinner jerryr)

If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it. WC Fields
  • Options
    Action ShooterAction Shooter Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited May 12, 2006
    here I am
    Please feel free to send contributions to the I need more equipment fund....

make check out to C. ASH deal.gif

Thanks,
    Andy
  • Options
    DalePDaleP Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited May 13, 2006
    Switched to Digital
    Hi Everyone-

I am 2 years retired, but my workplace won't let me go... not yet. It looks like the end of August will be the new cutoff date... my access to mainframe, e-mail, covered parking and an on-site PC will end.

In the last 5-6 years; (whenever good quality 3+mp cameras at $1,000 or less came out), I've jumped back into photography... prior to that, I owned and operated a Magic business, something I felt I needed to be doing to counter the stresses and pressures of working in state Finance, Accounting, & Budget areas. So the name 'Magic by Price'... it's my registered company name.

I don't profess to be a 'wizard' in photography... particularly digital photography; that nomenclature should go to folks like Andy.

I'm new to this forum's interface, so I'm not sure what I'm doing...

My photo should be attached to my profile; if I set it up properly...

Here's a shot from my Central Oregon Coast album (Under the 'By Area' category:

67316618-M.jpg

I'm not sure how it will appear here. Reason I am putting it up at this time is that I ordered a 16 by 24 inch print through smugmug and am delighted with the result! Looks like the site will be a great place to store my images... mainly Landscapes.

Please stop by & view my site... I also welcome any suggestions for improving it... mail me directly, or use the forum(s).

http://magicbyprice.smugmug.com/

What I'm after is a set-up that's is easy to maintain, yet one that also makes it easy for a viewer to zero in on images & subject matter they may be interested in. I think I will use a 2-stage process for updating the site, with everything going into a 'What's new' collection first, then gradually moving it into the 'By Area', 'By Subject', or 'Other Types of Digital Magic' categories I have set up.

DaleP