Options

Show us your mug! Introduce yourself here.

Comments

• Options
    R JohnsR Johns Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2006
    Grudgingly, here I am...
    Well, I'll keep this short, as I'm not one to discuss much about myself, and I'm not one to post pics of myself, either. I'd much rather just post my pics and discuss them, instead. :D (it's that whole insecurity thing... :uhoh )

As I'm new around here, I thought that I would make this one exception. Now (of course), I do not have any portraits of me (self or otherwise), but I did come across this pic of me (taken by my wife), as we were travelling in our van. You'll notice the cat (affectionatly referred to as "Putty") wedged between me and my seat. The wife likes to bring the cat along, sometimes. Also, as you'll notice, we can't keep her still.

Anyway, this is the only pic of me that I've sanctioned. As is my style, I dressed it up a little, to make the best of it.

See you all, in the threads... wave.gif

Russ
    By Grace, alone...
  • Options
    raianraian Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2006
    Hello, I'm new. Just ordered my camera, a Nikon D50. I'm very new to this and learning a lot here. I hope to be posting pictures soon. I'm just a hobby photographer... but love taking pictures (as most of us do!). When I'm not taking pictures I work in the I.S. department at the Post and Courier (newspaper) in Charleston. I also own labradors and train and show them in Agility and Competitive Obedience. Nice to be here.

ruandme98.jpg
  • Options
    NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2006
    My name is Nimai.
    I'm a computer programmer. My interest in photography has grown immensely over the past few years. I graduated from a Canon S1 IS to a used 10D last December with kit lens. Since then, I've spent all my money on glass, glass, glass, and I absolutely love the results. The problem lately is, so do others! I don't really know what to do with myself and my photos.
    I shy away from refering to myself as a "photographer", and I know for any proffesion, the compliments of laymen come easily. (i.e. my wife has played piano since she was four, but because she doesn't do it for a living, she doesn't call herself a "pianist" and to an untrained ear like mine, her piano sounds heavenly, but to her, she knows she's average.)
    I've been getting a lot of exposure since my son started in elementary school last year. I've shot at many school functions, sporting events, etc. and shared my work with enthusiastic parents. Among the other things I'm not is a business man. I'm glad to have found smugmug let me share with parents, and even allow them to purchase. When I think of selling photos, though, I think of those booths at the exit of an amusement park ride where there is a print of your family destined for the garbage unless you fork over $10. Tugging at the heart strings for money just rubs me wrong. I've reconciled things with myslef by pledging to donate proceeds to the school and school district.
    <wow- I didn't expect to write so much here!>

I'll be reading up on threads and posting a few of my own here too, I'm sure. Hello everyone!

http://nimai.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2006
    Welcome all iloveyou.gifiloveyou.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    dancinkatedancinkate Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2006
    Welcome everyone! clap.gif
  • Options
    Vitamin deeVitamin dee Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 17, 2006
    An Intro
    Hello Everyone....

Here's my latest self portrait.

It was 2am on a Tuesday and I couldn't sleep. And there was my trusty sidekick doing the jedi mind trick "take your photo....you want to take your photo" ha. so I did.

Shooting nightlife is my favorite, but nouns in general are a photographer's playground.

I've always loved taking pictures, but it wasn't until I went to school for graphic design that it really peaked my interest. I took my coolpix 4300 to a nightclub last year and the rest is history. Since then I've been published and worked with some well known DJs/Producers/record labels.

I've only had one photography class and a few technique books, but mostly I've learned by experimenting. I'm still learning as I go and having a fantastic time doing so.

I've been reading some threads here and there and decided to join. I look forward to learning and contributing.

128753818_e8e4814764.jpg
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2006
    128753818_e8e4814764.jpg

Welcome aboard!! clap.gif
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    IreneRojasIreneRojas Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited May 19, 2006
    Hi everyone
    Hi. My name is Irene and I'm new here. I'm a junior at William & Mary, hence the "Tribe" on the visor. My dad took that pic of me in Tamarindo, Costa Rica. We went there to visit family and play tourist. Anyways, when I'm not traveling, I'm taking pics for The Flat Hat, my school's weekly paper. I especially love taking pics of sports. Last December before going to Costa Rica, I bought a Nikon D50 and 18-70mm and have been very pleased with the results. Hopefully, I'll soon have an 80-200mm. Anyways, that's a bit about me.

70383034-M.jpg

http://ireno315.smugmug.com
    Irene Rojas
    BlogWebsite
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2006
    ireno315 wrote:
    Hi. My name is Irene and I'm new here. I'm a junior at William & Mary, hence the "Tribe" on the visor. My dad took that pic of me in Tamarindo, Costa Rica. We went there to visit family and play tourist. Anyways, when I'm not traveling, I'm taking pics for The Flat Hat, my school's weekly paper. I especially love taking pics of sports. Last December before going to Costa Rica, I bought a Nikon D50 and 18-70mm and have been very pleased with the results. Hopefully, I'll soon have an 80-200mm. Anyways, that's a bit about me.

http://ireno315.smugmug.com

Welcome!
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2006
    Alright, I've been talked into it. Here's my ugly mug as I'm posing with my two favorite lenses in the world. thumb.gif

I'm a digital shooter here in SoCal where I've been marooned for the past 4 years. Most of my passion is in playing with new camera toys so beware if you see me at a photo store (I'll be the one drooling).

Anyway, I'm a landscape/wildlife photographer by trade and love to take pictures of the remaining undisturbed coastline here in Lala-land as well as taking lovely pictures of the serene mountains in the Rocky Mountain West/Colorado. Glad to be here everyone!
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • Options
    rollsman4rollsman4 Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited May 22, 2006
    New to Digital Grin..
    I am semi retired after shooting MF Hassey for 27 years. I currently have a canon 20D and 3 Leica lenses. I will be selling the lenses and the adaptors for theLeica to EOS 20D. I am waiting for Leica/ Panasonic for the New L1 Digital camera, this will suit me just fine for the work I do. Its an excellent Forum and I am happy to be part of it, thanks Dennis
  • Options
    R JohnsR Johns Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2006
    Pezpix wrote:
    Alright, I've been talked into it. Here's my ugly mug as I'm posing with my two favorite lenses in the world. thumb.gif

I'm a digital shooter here in SoCal where I've been marooned for the past 4 years. Most of my passion is in playing with new camera toys so beware if you see me at a photo store (I'll be the one drooling).

Anyway, I'm a landscape/wildlife photographer by trade and love to take pictures of the remaining undisturbed coastline here in Lala-land as well as taking lovely pictures of the serene mountains in the Rocky Mountain West/Colorado. Glad to be here everyone!

Great website and images!

Looks as if, you are making those lenses pay for themselves.

See you in the threads...

Russ
    By Grace, alone...
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2006
    Pezpix wrote:

Amazing shots on your site. Great surf, dolphin, western wildlife, scenics! Amazing!

But oh no . . . more big white lenses in the forum ne_nau.gif .

Big welcome to you!
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    Steve SSteve S Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited May 26, 2006
    Hi Folks!
    Harry B suggested I stick my neck in here and poke around to see if you guys can offer any assistance wrt setting up my Smugmug pages. I was over at MI3 for a couple days if anyone remembers me. I'll go over to the proper forum and ask my tech question, but for now, I just wanted to say hello! I'm a semi pro, and I use that term very loosely :): , that loves people pics, studio work & wildlife photography.

original.jpg
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2006
    Hiya all new folks wave.gif welcome to dgrin!
  • Options
    AtruckerAtrucker Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited May 28, 2006
    This is me!
    Someone told me there was something wrong with one of my photos and this was the look I geve him.:D

59641156.jpg
    I have abandoned my search for Truth and am now looking for a good Fantasy.
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2006
    nice to meet you all here i am me Awais from Pakistan into photography since end of 2004 love photography of every type axcept nude
    here in bottom left when i was in America Colorado Fort collins in 80's

71203896-M.jpg

here is self portrait
    44782241-M.jpg

and latest self portrait actually latest is above but now i look like this with beard
    57642835-M.jpg
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    IllusionIllusion Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 5, 2006
    Hello
    I am new to posting threads...

My name is Robert Welsh, my company is Illusion Dream Images
    www.iditx.com

I signed up with smugmug a few weeks ago and I am merging that page into my current website so you can reach my smugmug site by going to
    my online gallery. Comments good or bad are always welcome as I am trying to improve my wares....

fish wrote:
    There's something special about taking your own portrait (self-portrait). Anybody can take a photo of you, but only you can do the hard bit about choosing how you want to be seen. It's not that we don't want to see your handsome visages taken by other people, but that we want YOU to shoot them and present them yourselves.
    self-por·trait:
    n. A pictorial or literary portrait of oneself, created by oneself.
    Edit: I merged the two "show us your mug" threads. :)

biggrinbounce2.gif
  • Options
    leekleek Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited June 7, 2006
    I've been using Smugmug for over a year now, but this is the first time that I've seriously looked at Digital Grin... I'm pleasantly surprised - so far...

Here's a self-portrait that I took for a recent challenge on another forum...

62405552-M.jpg

I used a particularly gritty and high contrast B&W conversion - I quite liked the result, but it makes it look as if I need a good facial mwink.gif

Cheers,
    John
    Cheers, John

Leek's Smugmug Gallery
    Nikon D200, D70; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4; 18-70mm; 105mm; 80-400VR; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
  • Options
    MeriwetherMeriwether Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 7, 2006
    Here's me
    I've subscribed to smugmug for over a year and have popped my head in here a couple of times. Today I thought it time to introduce myselfl! We'll see if I can figure out how to upload a photo of my face. Hmmm... Let's see... I guess I'll use one that's from earlier this year where I look semi presentable.

73499985-M.jpg

73499985-M.jpg

It's nice to meet y'all. I look forward to actually using these forums as I begin to receive requests for my services as a photographer. (strictly amateur...for now! ;-) )

(okay... I'm having difficulty with the photo upload... any help would be most appreciated... :-) )1528598
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2006
    Meriwether wrote:
    (okay... I'm having difficulty with the photo upload... any help would be most appreciated... :-) )1528598

Hello all you new guys and girls, and welcome wave.gif

For Meriwether and others, check this out thumb.gif
  • Options
    MeriwetherMeriwether Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 7, 2006
    Thank you!
    I was darn close in my attempt... just got the address of my photo wrong! Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.
  • Options
    lucialoboslucialobos Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 11, 2006
    hi im new!...and well...this is me!
    clap.gif
  • Options
    almostlightheartedalmostlighthearted Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited June 16, 2006
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2006
    Me In My Toyota!
    Hi all, you know me as Saurora and I've been posting for exactly 4 months now. In honor of my 1, 019 posts clap.gif I've decided to post my mug here in this thread. Normally I don't take my own portrait, nor do I like anyone else taking it, but I bought a new car last week and I was so excited I took a shot of my own happy face!

75961043-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2006
    love the last few shots - nice self stuff thumb.gif
    john w

Edward Steichen

• Options
    XtopherousXtopherous Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited June 17, 2006
    Hello
    This place looks nice. I think I'll stay a while. Here's me. :)

/de-lurk
  • Options
    DigiEyEDigiEyE Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited June 19, 2006
    Well this post/forum just made me realise I have no pics of myself, guess I should work on that one...eek7.gif

I have just started photography about a month ago after being pressured by friends and family to look into it. I was always interested in it, but I never really thought much of it untill people noticed my pictures and had good things to say about them. Well anyway Im glad I found this site, I was able to upload all my work in full size and hopefully get real comments from other photographers about them. I also have seen so many amazing photos from the other members, this is definatly an inspiring place for myself.
  • Options
    scooter78666scooter78666 Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited June 19, 2006
    Hello, All, from a new member, scooter78666
    Hello, everyone. I just joined SmugMug yesterday, and am still trying to find my way around. My first impressions are very favorable. I have created one new album with 272 pics in it. It is a pictorial record of a motorcycle trip I made in July 2005 with my brother, from San Marcos, TX to Monterey, CA and Laguna Seca, CA for the 2005 MotoGP races. I have not yet decided to make that album a public album, but I may do so. I need to 'feel my way around' a bit first, to assess the Online security risks, mainly. I am NOT a super-tech obsessed camera user. I am a reasonably proficient all-arounder type. I am NOT prone to sit to hear someone explain all the finer technical points of some new lens or gadget. I have a Kodak EasyShare digital camera AND a Canon Digital Rebel camera. So far as practical everyday use, the Kodak outshines the 3-times as expensive Canon by at least 3 to 1. For example, guess which camera 'got to go' with me on my 5,400 mile California trip.

One early observation which I will make after browsing a bunch of users' albums here, is this: Why doesn't anyone but me think it is worth the time to caption their pics ??? I found some very interesting shots, but my interest faded quickly when I could not guess anything about the circumstances for the pic. Captions make your pics much more interesting to the observer.

I promise to not make my future posts here this long. lol. Thanks for listening to me. scooter78666 in Texas
  • Options
    scooter78666scooter78666 Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited June 19, 2006
    Additional bio info about myself, scooter78666
    I neglected to say much about myself. I am David, a 72-year old chemical engineer, retired from ExxonMobil. I am a life-long motorcyclist. I got my first Cushman motor scooter on my 14th birthday, and I got my first real motorcycle, a Harley 750, on my 15th birthday. I am married, with 2 daughters and 5 grandkids. I love to ride cycles. I will eventually post pics of all my cycles (9 currently). I mainly ride street riding, but I also do some trail riding on my 10-acre property and in the mountains of New Mexico near Red River. I love to take pics and share them with my friends. As soon as I learn how SmugMug works, I will post pics here. Feel free to e-mail me if you wish to share interests with me. (scooter78666)
    Hello, everyone. I just joined SmugMug yesterday, and am still trying to find my way around. My first impressions are very favorable. I have created one new album with 272 pics in it. It is a pictorial record of a motorcycle trip I made in July 2005 with my brother, from San Marcos, TX to Monterey, CA and Laguna Seca, CA for the 2005 MotoGP races. I have not yet decided to make that album a public album, but I may do so. I need to 'feel my way around' a bit first, to assess the Online security risks, mainly. I am NOT a super-tech obsessed camera user. I am a reasonably proficient all-arounder type. I am NOT prone to sit to hear someone explain all the finer technical points of some new lens or gadget. I have a Kodak EasyShare digital camera AND a Canon Digital Rebel camera. So far as practical everyday use, the Kodak outshines the 3-times as expensive Canon by at least 3 to 1. For example, guess which
    camera 'got to go' with me on my 5,400 mile California trip.

One early observation which I will make after browsing a bunch of users' albums here, is this: Why doesn't anyone but me think it is worth the time to caption their pics ??? I found some very interesting shots, but my interest faded quickly when I could not guess anything about the circumstances for the pic. Captions make your pics much more interesting to the observer.

I promise to not make my future posts here this long. lol. Thanks for listening to me. scooter78666 in Texas