Options

smugmug shoot-out at yosemite

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2005
    Sam wrote:
    I gather from your posts it's not very cold where you are. Yosemite temps for May are listed at 5 C to 23 C at 4000 foot elevation. I have been in this area at the end of June at 6500 feet and the temps have droped below 0 C at night.

Also a possibility of rain and / or snow. ( I have forbidden this, but you never know.) :D

You do want to be prepared for this!

Sam

what's this "C" stuff headscratch.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited January 30, 2005
    andy wrote:
    What he meant was 41F to 73F. But I can tell you from
    experience that 41F might be a little warm for May :D
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    What he meant was 41F to 73F. But I can tell you from
    experience that 41F might be a little warm for May :D

*much* better. let old 'gus figure out the conversion, eh what? lol3.gif

so, one of my ideas was an outdoor dinner/bbq/campfire thing on sat night, but it'll prolly be too cold....
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2005
    andy wrote:
    Celsius, Swed inventor 1701-1744. Temp scale where 0 is the freezing point and 100 is the boiling point of water, but you know this. :D

I was trying to be sensitive to Humungus, who lives in an area where they use this scale to designate temp. I didn't want him to get confused and bring nothing but Bermuda shorts and T-shirts. ne_nau.gif

I can see the newspaper headlines now......Aussie lured to America with promise of great vacation found frozen stiff in Yosemite. 600 highy quality digital images avilable for download from Digitalgrin. rolleyes1.gif

Sam
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2005
    Sam wrote:
    .... 600 highy quality digital images avilable for download from Digitalgrin. rolleyes1.gif

Sam

lol3.giflol3.giflol3.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    Speaking of flying with camera gear...

I was in Dallas yesterday waiting for my ride home when I spotted a guy
    carrying a Lowe backpack with a tripod attached as his carry on.

I haven't had the occassion to fly with that type of kit so I asked if he had
    any trouble with the TSA during the security screening. His answer? Not too
    much. All has to do with how you treat the process of screening. "If you are
    a jackass, expect to be treated like one" was what it amounted to.

Ian

I've not done nearly as much travel as Andy. But my experience is that they're so accustomed to seeing photo gear, they know exactly what they're looking at and don't waste time with it. Only once has it led to me being pulled over for the body cavity search. Videographers are routinely asked to prove that their large, pro cameras actually work.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2005
    andy wrote:
    *much* better. let old 'gus figure out the conversion, eh what? lol3.gif

so, one of my ideas was an outdoor dinner/bbq/campfire thing on sat night, but it'll prolly be too cold....
    That'd be fun. Cold or no. Besides, the truck has heated seats...I could sell
    10 minute slots :D

Ian
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2005
    Airports were a lot harder with film, especially if you were shooting sheet film. They really like being told they cannot open that box or filmholders and they cannot run them through the xray. :lynn That led to a few tense moments. I have not had any problems recently, but I try not to take everything if I have to fly with equipment.
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2005
    andy wrote:
    anyone have an idea what the nighttime temps could roughly be, say from post-sundown till 10pm or 11pm?
    avg low is 37-40F for May, depending on where you look. personal experience dictates you should plan on anywhere between teens and low 40s.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2005
    Guys i am very fluent in either imperial or metric. Started school just as we began the change over & couldnt care which unit is thrown at me.

I will stand on a high rock to say that once you have used metric...you will wonder why the hell you didnt change earlier. Particularly in engineering & O/S trade where i have worked & noticed a huge difference.

Oh....and one day you will all be using it.. thats a known. Andy...hows that lovely 2.75591" x 7.87402" L glass goin' ?.

Tks sam...i have some thermals i bought yonks back for some work i did down south in winter. I look like the cat in the hat in them & the police have told me i have to wear stuff over them nowadays.
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2005
    yosemite gallery
    check out salim's gallery of yosemite
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Oh....and one day you will all be using it.. thats a known. Andy...hows that lovely 2.75591" x 7.87402" L glass goin' ?.

I'm going to be keeping my eye on you, mark. :crazy
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited February 2, 2005
    andy wrote:

Interesting gallery - He has spent several seasons shooting Yosemite. I looked at the Exif data that was listed and all of his images except for a very few were shot with a lens longer than 17mm and less than 200mm. There were just a couple longer than 200; some weren't listed. MANY of his images werre shot with a 35mm lens. Nice gallery.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2005
    another yosemite gallery
    this one is really nice
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2005
    andy wrote:
    Andy,

Did you make an error with this link?headscratch.gif I have ner seen a Yelow Rat Bastard in Yosemite.ne_nau.gif I think by the photo, they are city dewllers.

Sam
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2005
    Sam wrote:
    Andy,

Did you make an error with this link?headscratch.gif I have ner seen a Yelow Rat Bastard in Yosemite.ne_nau.gif I think by the photo, they are city dewllers.

Sam

lol3.gif sam, thanks for telling me :D i fixed it.
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2005
    andy wrote:
    The starlight shots are really nice. I wonder how he did that - I see stars and reasonably well lit foregrounds as well. headscratch.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    The starlight shots are really nice. I wonder how he did that - I see stars and reasonably well lit foregrounds as well. headscratch.gif
    I liked those the best. We will have to try a few.

Ian
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2005
    Is this part of Yosemite??
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2005
    gubbs wrote:

looks like mono lake, to me. take a look a evil eggz' gallery..

www.photoallure.com
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2005
    gubbs wrote:
    Depends when you go :)

It's the Tufa at Mono Lake. During the summer months, Mono Lake can
    be easily reached by taking Tioga Pass (hwy 120) through the park.

Ian
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2005
    Hey 'gus have you decided on a hotel yet?
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2005
    Hey 'gus have you decided on a hotel yet?
    No...not yet. I will get somewhere in the city so i can be near the food & tactical response group. I cant book until i get this camera purchase out of the way as the hotels want you to pay straight up on booking & im buying this camera come hell or high water before i spend any more money on ridiculos stuff like food/bookings etc...
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2005
    For all of those flying into SF for this trip and are wondering who else will be there to possibly meet up with people from the trip.

Me and Greaper will be flying in and arriving in san fran around 9:15-9:30 thursday night and flying out Monday morning.

Thursday we will be staying in the Fishermans Warf area. Sunday we will be staying in the Cathedral Hill area. We were thinking more photo possabilities other than just at Yosemite. Anyone else going to be in area?
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2005
    For all of those flying into SF for this trip and are wondering who else will be there to possibly meet up with people from the trip.

Me and Greaper will be flying in and arriving in san fran around 9:15-9:30 thursday night and flying out Monday morning.

Thursday we will be staying in the Fishermans Warf area. Sunday we will be staying in the Cathedral Hill area. We were thinking more photo possabilities other than just at Yosemite. Anyone else going to be in area?
    You've already booked rooms?
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2005
    Anyone else going to be in area?
    Some of us live near there.
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2005
    lol3.giflol3.giflol3.gif Never been sent in to bat when im fielding mate.
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    lol3.giflol3.giflol3.gif Never been sent in to bat when im fielding mate.

thanks for not quoting that. :lol
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2005
    fish wrote:
    thanks for not quoting that. :lol
    You mean

this blbl.gif
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2005

Count me in Dragon!!!! I'll be around SF from the 1st to the 15th :D
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl