Options

smugmug shoot-out at yosemite

Comments

• Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2005
    Oops...I forgot to add your sherpa.

14607461-L.jpg
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2005
    Andy, the title "smugmug shoot-out" seems to imply that there will be some sort of contest. What are you thinking about? Perhaps a series of challenges just for the attendees? Maybe best waterfall, best wide-angle, best candid, worst shot of waxy?

ear.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited January 24, 2005
    fish wrote:
    Andy, the title "smugmug shoot-out" seems to imply that there will be some sort of contest. What are you thinking about? Perhaps a series of challenges just for the attendees? Maybe best waterfall, best wide-angle, best candid, worst shot of waxy?

ear.gif

pssst. i hear it's 'best shot with the biggest lens'....san jose camera has a 600 in stock :D
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    pssst. i hear it's 'best shot with the biggest lens'....san jose camera has a 600 in stock :D
    Not any more...deal.gif
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2005
    fish wrote:

ear.gif
    Just find me a bear to wrestle...ill give you the shots !
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Just find me a bear to wrestle...ill give you the shots !
    Do you remember the stuff you put on your face? Use peanut butter
    instead. The bears will find you :D

ian
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    Do you remember the stuff you put on your face? Use peanut butter
    instead. The bears will find you :D

ian
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif & thus fish...thats when i out run him & get the shot.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2005
    fish wrote:
    Oops...I forgot to add your sherpa.

14607461-L.jpg

lol3.giflol3.gif !!!!!
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2005
    umph.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Not any more...deal.gif

Andy are you a CPS member? There a definitely a lot of Canon shooters going. I bet if you are and contacted Canon they might send a rep for a day with a slew of lenses or let you borrow a 1200mm as a CPS member, but I might not want to be responsible for that lens. deal.gif They might let you borrow a long lens or two, not sure about the 1200. naughty.gif The worst they can say is no. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    Andy are you a CPS member? There a definitely a lot of Canon shooters going. I bet if you are and contacted Canon they might send a rep for a day with a slew of lenses or let you borrow a 1200mm as a CPS member, but I might not want to be responsible for that lens. deal.gif They might let you borrow a long lens or two, not sure about the 1200. naughty.gif The worst they can say is no. ne_nau.gif
    Sid might have to make two trips to carry that 1200 :D
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2005
    ian408 wrote:

nod.gifrolleyes1.gifumph.gif
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    umph.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2005
    patch29 wrote:

no, not cps, but i've already sent a letter to canon's head of marketing in the usa, i'm waiting for a response now :D

what is it that they say about great minds??? lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2005
    andy wrote:
    what is it that they say about great minds??? lol3.gif

I was thinking wxwax should buy a 400/2.8 IS. ear.gifdeal.gif
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    I was thinking wxwax should buy a 400/2.8 IS. ear.gifdeal.gif
    In my dreams. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2005
    Andy, I wonder if you can give Apple a call and see if they will send someone out too? Maybe they would lend a G5/30" out for the weekend to promote their products? naughty.gif If they did you could clone your HD to an external drive, bring it with you and boot their machine with all your software. I think that would work if it was a G5. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    In my dreams. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

We have the same dreams? eek7.gif
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2005
    Hey Heres a thought. Don't know how good of a thought it is but.... 'Gus needs a new camera, I will need to be buying a new body and some other stuff soon, and I'm sure other people will be buying stuff. Will any of those stores in the San Fran area offer discounts if we buy in bulk?
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited January 27, 2005
    Hey Heres a thought. Don't know how good of a thought it is but.... 'Gus needs a new camera, I will need to be buying a new body and some other stuff soon, and I'm sure other people will be buying stuff. Will any of those stores in the San Fran area offer discounts if we buy in bulk?
    Dragon,
    Thats a good thought thumb.gif If you have an idea of what the "group" will be buying/spending, maybe you could give them a call and see if they'll cut you a group discount. Geeze, even if they cut out the sales tax (@8.25-8.5%), that will save you guys a bunch.

Calumet (somewhat higher prices) (415) 643-9275

San Jose Camera (about 45 min S of SF, but better prices) (408) 374-1880

Keeble and Shuchat (in Palo Alto, maybe 30 min S of SF, pricing similar to Calumet, one of the only places in the SF Bay Area that rents Canon and Nikon lenses mwink.gif

http://www.kspphoto.com/activepages/rental.html

and they don't take AMEX :-( (800) 854-8996

Good idea and good luck,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited January 27, 2005
    If Fish could bring his iMAC and the lodge has a projector or a large display screen that might be cool also. We could all upload our image files onto CF USB drives - 256Mb CF USB drives are less than $50 - and then display them via the iMAC ported onto a larger display. Or we could just bring our own laptops. Nah, let's use Fish's iMac!!

This should go real nicely with Fish's SNPA. :D:D
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    If Fish could bring his iMAC and the lodge has a projector or a large display screen that might be cool also. We could all upload our image files onto CF USB drives - 256Mb CF USB drives are less than $50 - and then display them via the iMAC ported onto a larger display. Or we could just bring our own laptops. Nah, let's use Fish's iMac!!

This should go real nicely with Fish's SNPA. :D:D

I'm not bringing the imac. It's light, but it's not portable. :lynn

I will, however, have the powerbook. nod.gif
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2005
    Dragon,

I'm almost 100% sure that you can count me in for a Sigma 50-500 :D
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2005
    Calumet (somewhat higher prices) (415) 643-9275

Doesn't Calumet also rent? I have dealt with them in the past and have negotiated price with them. They usually will very easily meet B+H's pricing.
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited January 27, 2005
    Patch,

You are correct thumb.gif I never noticed it before, but they do rent.

http://webres.calumetphoto.com/webres/pdfs/SanFran.pdf

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2005
    fish wrote:
    I'm not bringing the imac. It's light, but it's not portable. :lynn

I will, however, have the powerbook. nod.gif

that's because *you* don't have your own caddie lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2005
    Ptach,

You are correct thumb.gif I never noticed it before, but they do rent.

http://webres.calumetphoto.com/webres/pdfs/SanFran.pdf

Steve

Andy, maybe you can work some magic with Calumet to offer up some lens rentals and maybe they will send a rep out and set you up with a purchasing deal for those involved? ne_nau.gif or one of the other camera shops might do it. I have a rep I work with in Atlanta that has done that in the past, in return they bring a 4x8 or smaller table to set up a few items to see if there is a purchasing interest. deal.gif
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    Andy, maybe you can work some magic with Calumet to offer up some lens rentals and maybe they will send a rep out and set you up with a purchasing deal for those involved? ne_nau.gif or one of the other camera shops might do it. I have a rep I work with in Atlanta that has done that in the past, in return they bring a 4x8 or smaller table to set up a few items to see if there is a purchasing interest. deal.gif

well, canon has so far blown off my requests.

dunno - we'll see if somesuch can be arranged :)
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2005
    andy wrote:
    that's because *you* don't have your own caddie lol3.gif

Here's a super-secret spy shot of waxy in sherpa gear, training to carry andy's gear in Yosemite.

14904326-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2005
    fish wrote:
    Here's a super-secret spy shot of waxy in sherpa gear, training to carry andy's gear in Yosemite.

14904326-L.jpg

looks like he was practicing for the remake of laurence of arabia lol3.gif

i don't care though, so long as he's practicing!