Options

smugmug shoot-out at yosemite

Comments

• Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2005
    Yeah Sid already booked the rooms last night.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2005
    I shot this from Fisherman's warf last year. The seals are fun to watch.

4144743-L.jpg
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    I shot this from Fisherman's warf last year. The seals are fun to watch.

4144743-Ti.jpg
    Nice. It's amazing how many there are, there.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2005
    gubbs wrote:
    Is this part of Yosemite??
    Gubbs,

This is Mono Lake. While not too far from Yosemite, the road needed to get there will still be closed because of snow.

Sam
  • Options
    larklark Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    Yosemite in winter...
    I'm kinda new to this site, but have been lurking in back for awhile and am familiar with many of you from other sites as well, pretty much lurking there too.
    I finally felt like I had something to post that pertains to the overall discussion that has some content(as opposed to the superficial witticisms that are how I normally communicate), so here goes.

We (Pat and I) were lucky enough to be able to get to Yosemite last week for five days! We had a cabin in the Redwoods behind Wawona during the last full moon in Jan. The weather forcasted a big chance(70%) of snow and it delivered!
    Our first morning into the valley(which is a forty-five minute drive from Wawona in good weather) was chains-on-the-tires all the way.Took us about an hour an a half (lots of hairpin switchbacks). It was absolutely beautiful, nearly black and white, and scary even in daylight.
    They've said there is nothing like Yosemite after a snowfall so we were excited. I have my new dsMk2, a 20d and Pat has a SonyF828 she hasn't used before, so we were like kids playing the "are we there yet" game almost from the first turn.
    It was a lot of fun.....it was a LOT OF FUN.....and very special, as I hope the pictures show.
    I have posted another fifty or so of the winter park on my smugmug photo page if you want to see more,it is:
    den.smugmug.com
    and since I'm just learning this camera, I'd sure appreciate any feedback also.

I'm pretty new at this part and tend to make long multiple thread sequences rather than a single long thread which I know irritates some people(I'm sorry)..if someone would PM me what I need to do to do it right, or point out that all instructive thread that explains it all...I'd be happy to do it correctly. My intention is good, my knowledge lacking....

Here's the first one.....the road in...
    den.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2005
    then you go around a corner..suddenly you are in a tunnel...and right at the end of the tunnel is a turn-out and a parking lot for one of the most spectacular views you'll ever see(and one of the most photographed places on earth)........that's ELCapitain on the left, Half Dome in the center, and Sentinal Peaks on the right....no meer words can discribe, nor can a photo do justice(many have tried).
    den.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2005
    ..so I have a new 100-400IS lens I haven't even gotten out of the wrapper bubbles yet and a 1.4 extender....let's find out what this puppy will do...(by the way the "white lens crowd" doesn't attract very much undue attention here, it's relatively common...but, as a small advise to all who are coming, you better bring your good stuff!)
    So, I shoot all the way over to Half Dome from the exact same location...check this out!
    den.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2005
    Down in the valley.......like a waterfall in a snow storm?
    den.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2005
    ....or maybe a little of natures abstract art?.........
    den.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2005
    ...the chapel, humble as it is..MUST be seen...it's set so that it is outstanding for photos from every side......
    den.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2005
    ....and there's critter's...this guy and his runnin' buddy decided to have a first class brawl in the middle of a field with a 4pack of coyotes and recieved a pretty good gash to the muzzle for his impertenance (shows up pretty clearly when zoomed on my screen)...gotta love this camera, gotta love that 400IS.
    Hope this fans the fire just a little bit more and gets everyone just a little more excited, I know it did for us!
    I'm looking forward to going back in May...I'm looking forward to meeting all of you there.

Den
    den.smugmug.com
    den.smugmug.com
  • Options
    aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    I'm in!!!!!! I live about 3 hours south of the park...so it would be a crime for me to not go. Great idea Andy!
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited February 7, 2005
    lark,

Welcome to tdgrin! Nice set of shots.

Tunnel View is one of the most photographed places and I never get
    tired of seeing the different views.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    lark,

some fine shots, and now i'm drooling with anticipation :D
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    andy wrote:
    lark,

some fine shots, and now i'm drooling with anticipation :D
    As opposed to your normal generic drooling???
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    I love this one with the ground fog
    lark wrote:
    ....or maybe a little of natures abstract art?.........

Great set of photos all around! I'll be checking your site! I'm really happy to see these as it's been almost 20 years since I've been to Yosemite.
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2005
    Now that the Hotels and flights are booked it is getting harder to wait. :twitch
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2005
    The waterfall and the abstract are marvellous. I'm soooo jealous of your opportunity to shoot the place in the snow.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2005
    Thank you all for your generosity!...the trip was great.
    Here is the Wawona (where we are staying).
    den.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2005
    ...and here is the golf course across the street, getting ready for spring.
    den.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2005
    ...and here is Kona frightening Bambi(he was raised better than this). Sometimes you just can't help yourself, ya know.....
    den.smugmug.com
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2005
    My Yosemite books showed up yesterday and I just got a chance to skim through them. I am EXCITED! I haven't been to Yosemite with a serious camera in over 25 years, and the last time was with my Nikon FM, shooting Ilford B/W film.

I'm polishing my tripod in anticipation. clap.gifsuper beer.gifnodbiggrinbounce2.gifclap

I'm going to be organizing a very lightweight set of assignments for the shootout gang, along the lines of what we used to do prior to andy setting up the challenges. Once we figure out the specifics, we'll organize a subforum (if it sounds like a good idea) to make a home for the various categorized threads. Or not. This is just a concept right now.

Please vote on the poll here.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    CalfeeRiderCalfeeRider Registered Users Posts: 258 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2005
    lark wrote:
    ...and here is Kona frightening Bambi(he was raised better than this). Sometimes you just can't help yourself, ya know.....
    Great shots, Lark!

I'm not sure if this has already been posted, but for those of you coming to visit this link is to the two Yosemite webcams.

http://yosemite.org/vryos/index.htm
    Jack

http://www.SplendorousSojourns.com

Canon 1D Mk II N - Canon 5D - Canon EF 17-40 f/4L USM - Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM - Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM - Canon EF 100 f/2.8 macro - Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2005
    attendees

please check your emailboxes that you provided to me, i have sent you all your reservation info.. kindly reply back that you've received same. deal.gif
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2005
    Just wanted to say thanks again to Andy for having these ideas and putting the effort into putting them into action.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited February 23, 2005
    Teaser Alert!
    Point your browser at this...

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    kudbegudkudbegud Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2005
    that is a super pano Ian! i just saw a quick review on tv of a program that can produce a QTVR moving pano just like that....havent bought it or tried it yet, but saving as a QTVR is as easy as a "save as..." one click after the pano as compiled. looked very interesting. especially if i can get anything as close to the quality of shots that are shown on that site. here's the link to that program if anybody is interested: http://www.panavue.com/index.htm
  • Options
    kudbegudkudbegud Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2005
    i just saw that panorama factory, which i have, does the same thing:

http://www.panoramafactory.com/
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    Saw these beautiful shots of Yosemite. Great stuff.

So does everybody who's staying in SF already have their rides to Yosemite lined-up? ear.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Saw these beautiful shots of Yosemite. Great stuff.

So does everybody who's staying in SF already have their rides to Yosemite lined-up? ear.gif

don't forget, you need room in your vehicle for my smoker, my litter, change of footwear for the footmen, oh and a special shipment from paco's ribs in toledo.

deal.gif