Options

smugmug shoot-out at yosemite

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2005
    Excellent! I think I may have to buy one of those portable hard drives to download my photos - I see a lot of images being made that weekend.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2005
    SeeMoon wrote:
    I could be in SF thursday before you'll leave.. is there a dinner date we can arrange with the people from this area? That would be nice! And Michiel, when are you planning to travel? It would be fun to be on one of my flights?
    Simone, I'm pretty sure we'll be in SF on the Thursday too. We're just trying to sort out schedules at the moment.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited January 17, 2005
    gubbs wrote:
    Simone, I'm pretty sure we'll be in SF on the Thursday too. We're just trying to sort out schedules at the moment.
    Pre-party? Sounds like a plan!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2005
    Awesome!!!
    I am so touched by this :cry
    I still can't believe it, this will make me lose sleep at least for one night mwink.gif perhaps a lot more. I'm so excited to see all you guys and enjoy our passion of photography together! Just as my life was going okay it got a great deal better......
    I have quite a big mouth at times, but now I'm so silenced by my inner excitement...
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!
    And if you choose to fly to LAX, I'll definitely give you a lift, we still have a room in my Murano:-). It's a longer drive, though (5+ hours from my place to Wawona, instead of 3 from SF), but it may be a way cheaper flight..

Thrilled to meet you in person!thumb.gif

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2005
    Thanks Nikolai
    I've already booked the ticket :D I'm going to SF. But I've checked it out and LAX is even about €150 more than the ticket to SF.
    Thanks a bunch for the offer though, I'm very excited to see everyone in person clap.gif Are you also coming to the dinner in SF or is that way too far off? (Pardon my ignorance in american geography :D)
    [edit]
    Allright, found it on the internet :D it is indeed way off rolleyes1.gif
    [/edit]
    1drink.gif
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2005
    OK then
    Are you also coming to the dinner in SF or is that way too far off? (Pardon my ignorance in american geography :D)
    [edit]
    Allright, found it on the internet :D it is indeed way off rolleyes1.gif
    [/edit]
    1drink.gif
    I'd love to:-). That might change a few things (jwear, davidto and me are trying to arrange a carpool from LA area to Yosemite), but since nothing's set in concrete yet and this Thursday thingie just came in, we still have time to think it over.
    May be I/we would fly in from Burbank to SF/SJ (it's a really kwik-n-ez flight, even with all the security idiosyncrasies) and then carpool from there.. However that's another night that would require arrangments..
    Anyway, glad you could make it, if nothing else, see you on the Merced shores:-)
    And we still have plenty of time to make it Event Of The Year!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2005
    San Franciscians..

This joint says its close to the airport...how far is that from the city centre & is the public tpt good around those parts ?

http://www.holidaycityusa.com/howard-johnson-sanfrancisco/

Ta
    Gus
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    San Franciscians..

This joint says its close to the airport...how far is that from the city centre & is the public tpt good around those parts
    South SFO is about 10-15 miles from SF proper. CalTrain isn't too far away
    and will take you into the city where you can connect with SF Muni to get
    to many other locations.

CalTrain does not run 24x7 but it will get you along most of the line
    until 11 PM or so (check the schedule). It does go from Gilroy all the way to
    SF's 4th and King (where the baseball park is).

Hope that helps!

Ian
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2005
    BART (Bay Area Transit)
    ian408 wrote:
    South SFO is about 10-15 miles from SF proper. CalTrain isn't too far away
    and will take you into the city where you can connect with SF Muni to get
    to many other locations.

CalTrain does not run 24x7 but it will get you along most of the line
    until 11 PM or so (check the schedule). It does go from Gilroy all the way to
    SF's 4th and King (where the baseball park is).

Hope that helps!

Ian

BART runs out to the airport now. If your hotel sends a "bus" around maybe the "bus" will take you back to the airport where you can get onto BART.

I think I know where your hotel is, it's north of the airport.

That map on the website has taken some creative license, suggest you try to get some maps on the web for a more accurate scale.
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2005
    Rayna with an "a" Laughing.gifOLaughing.gif
    andy wrote:
    i fixed that, dee, rayna, yah! yeah, i'll have an itinerary some day soon. been rather busy here lately just getting things put together, arranging for rooms, a photographer, and the scholarships. figure noon-ish friday till after the morning light on sunday.

Good, that gives me an idea of how to plan then. Will mean getting up early either way -- ugh, and fighting commuter traffic but at least it's the opposite commute.

It looks like it's about a 4 hour drive or so. I know it takes us 1.25 to 1.5 hours just to get to Sacramento. Did you go to Yosemite when you lived in Sacramento?

I'm tempted to take a day trip out to Yosemite, maybe in March or sooner, Laughing.gif.

Still getting over the flu so it's difficult to think and plan. I can probably convince Ed to try it.
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2005
    In. thumb.gif

We'll be staying in a loft condo at Yosemite West ($155/night...and yes, there is availability).

We're making it a Mother's Day Weekend Extravaganza, with fishwife and the fishkids in attendance. Will Baldy pay for kid meals too?
    deal.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2005
    fish wrote:
    In. thumb.gif

We'll be staying in a loft condo at Yosemite West ($155/night...and yes, there is availability).

We're making it a Mother's Day Weekend Extravaganza, with fishwife and the fishkids in attendance. Will Baldy pay for kid meals too?
    deal.gif
    Sweet!
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2005
    fish wrote:
    In. thumb.gif

deal.gif
    On ya maaaatttteee thumb.gif Looks like im going via Auckland eek7.gif & i cant take the GS !!
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2005
    fish wrote:
    In. thumb.gif

deal.gif
    Fantastic!!
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    On ya maaaatttteee thumb.gif Looks like im going via Auckland eek7.gif & i cant take the GS !!
    'Gus, mate. Read your PM's...if you are going to be here for a few days...
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    'Gus, mate. Read your PM's...if you are going to be here for a few days...
    PM's ? did you send one ?
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    PM's ? did you send one ?
    Yeah. Standby....

Ian
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2005
    Hey Ian
    Well,

I'm pretty certain I'll have to check into a cheap hostel on thursday and perhaps also on sunday, so it will be easy to arrange for a rendez-vous in SF on friday morning.

To all :D
    If anyone has info on SF hostels (one that's easily accessable for Ian who's picking me up clap.gif) in addition, I'm hoping to save up for a Bigma for Yosemite.... Are there any good and well-priced gear stores in SF?? I guess there are, but it'll be nice to know where to look for it mwink.gif

Thanks in advance everybody!!!
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2005
    Well,

I'm pretty certain I'll have to check into a cheap hostel on thursday and perhaps also on sunday, so it will be easy to arrange for a rendez-vous in SF on friday morning.

To all :D
    If anyone has info on SF hostels (one that's easily accessable for Ian who's picking me up clap.gif) in addition, I'm hoping to save up for a Bigma for Yosemite.... Are there any good and well-priced gear stores in SF?? I guess there are, but it'll be nice to know where to look for it mwink.gif

Thanks in advance everybody!!!
    http://www.hostels.com/us.ca.sf.html

Gear? You mean photo gear in SF?

Calumet San Francisco
    2001 Bryant Street
    San Francisco, CA 94110
    Phone: 415-643-9275
    Fax: 415-643-9280
    Hours: Monday-Friday 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
    http://www.calumetphoto.com/
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2005
    Hey, thanks a bunch Fish!!

Nice to hear you and the whole 'school' of fish are joining us!!!

Cheers! beer.gif
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2005
    Hey, thanks a bunch Fish!!

Nice to hear you and the whole 'school' of fish are joining us!!!

Cheers! beer.gif
    Aside from Calumet, there's also San Jose Camera. It's pretty inexpensive (as
    this stuff goes).

Ian
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2005

I'm hoping to save up for a Bigma for Yosemite.... !!!
    lol3.gif Dont be waving some phallic symbol like a 500mm lens in front of fish...i recon he's already nicked the kids college funds for his habit & is now onto his superanuation.

5 quid he turns up with a new zoom lens.
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2005
    You have a PM gubbs

Humungus, did you reserve a room for the thurday before the yosemite thin, if so, where. I thought Dragon300 and I would get a room the same place to make it easy for Dkapp
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    You have a PM gubbs

Humungus, did you reserve a room for the thurday before the yosemite thin, if so, where. I thought Dragon300 and I would get a room the same place to make it easy for Dkapp
    no idea as to where im staying yet ...are you blokes staying in the CBD area ? I want to have a bit of a walk around & see the place so thought i would get somewhere in the city area to be near the trans (i love trams)

If im a distance for dave to collect then i will just taxi it to where ever you lot are dug in.
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2005
    national geographic
    I flicked through National Geographic yesterday. It had an article on Yosemite. You are going to have a ball thumb.gif I am looking forward to seeing the photos that are posted after the trip clap.gif

Shay.
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    Aside from Calumet, there's also San Jose Camera. It's pretty inexpensive (as
    this stuff goes).

Ian

but but...he said SF. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2005
    Humungus wrote:

5 quid he turns up with a new zoom lens.
    Nope, not me. I'll be there will my little 20D, 24-70/2.8L and 70-200/2.8L IS (w/ 1.4x ext). No new lenses for me for a loooooong time.

oh...and my Al powerbook, of course. :D
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2005
    fish wrote:
    Nope, not me. I'll be there will my little 20D, 24-70/2.8L and 70-200/2.8L IS (w/ 1.4x ext). No new lenses for me for a loooooong time.

oh...and my Al powerbook, of course. :D

since sid has to caddie for me, why don't i just tote the g5 and the 30 incher, it'll be good for a photoshop workshop eh what?
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2005
    andy wrote:
    since sid has to caddie for me, why don't i just tote the g5 and the 30 incher, it'll be good for a photoshop workshop eh what?
    You'll need a couple of these:

Pelican.jpg
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2005
    fish wrote:
    You'll need a couple of these:

Pelican.jpg

lol3.giflol3.gif