try this, gus and all, for local conditions right now
    Humungus wrote:
    Nup...cant get it mate

click here
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2005
    Baldy wrote:
    You know... It's so tempting to keep my mouth shut and bask in the glow of being such a great guy! :encore:encore:encore

Only problem is: it really is 99% Andy. He dreamed up the shootout, whipped up the excitement, took care of all the arrangements, thought up the idea of having a great photographer come and he arranged that too — and he proposed the scholarship and had to get past a pretty cool reception from me.

It took him several runs at us before we caught the fever that he has for this trip.

We have gatherings with ADVrider, the motorcycle message forum that's the sister of this site and it's electric to meet up with everyone in person.

And I've always believed Yosemite is like no place else on earth.

What a rockin' shoot-out this is gonna be! ylsuper.gifsuperylsuper.gif

It's good for bidness, man. I figured that was part of Andy's sales pitch. If it wasn't it oughter be, 'cus it is.

I am really looking forward to this, and am very grateful to Andy for having the get-up-and-go to make it happen. bowdown.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2005
    Hey greaper. I sent you a PM with my contact info. Shoot me an email or a call and we can plan something for traveling together. I don't mind flying out of either airport and will gladly drive down to Ohio.

Andy, thank you for putting this trip together I'm glad I finally gave into my inner child and decided to go (I had been thinking bout it but was gonna pass it up cause im gonna be traveling down to florida the weekend before).

To everyone I can't wait to meet this bunch in person.

Who all is going?
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited January 15, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Which airport? SF?
    SFO or SJC.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Any chance of seeing snow on the ground at that time of year ?
    Yes. More than likely there will be snow in the high country. We will be near
    the ski slope as well...

ian
  • Options
    larklark Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2005
    Hum,
    There were small (itty bitty) patches of snow at higher elevations(8000ft)
    on the side of the mountain away from morning sun...in the shade of a couple of pine trees........but maybe you might get lucky.

This is more of what to expect, it was taken in May of last year. This is the "Gate of the Valley"

http://Den.smugmug.com/photos/10466198-M.jpg
    den.smugmug.com
  • Options
    ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2005
    EXCELLECT!!!

This will be a trip to remember clap.gif
  • Options
    larklark Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2005
    ...if anyone has any of those truly "big gun" lenses, they are useful in the park. El Capitan will have 30-50 people climbing it at this time of year. They are truely microscopic to the unaided eye....a big lens will net some pretty spectacular, very different photos. These guys actually spend the night sleeping halfway up the sheer granite face of this rock!...at the very least bring a pair of binocs if you have them, you'll be glad you did.
    den.smugmug.com
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited January 16, 2005
    dkapp wrote:
    This is awesome! Smugmug is the best. The best people I've run across. I can't wait to meet them.

Dave

I am so looking forward to meeting everyone - And I never dreamed we'd get to see 'gus up close and in person ( Sounds kinds skeeery, don't it?) Way to go Andy and Baldy. That is truly amazing.

'Gus - you're gong to want to get that new camera before you get to Yosemite, but MAYBE not before you leave Oz?? Are prices cheaper here in the States versus Oz? Seems like they are cheaper here than in Great Britain from the magazines I've seen. I've only seen an Australian photographic magazine in Indiana just once or twice, but it seemed like the costs were higher in Oz.
    ne_nau.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2005
    Snow 'eh ? That will be a first...cant wait.

PF i am aiming to buy when i get there as it is a hell of a lot cheaper there than here. Not set in stone though...if i cant afford it then i will take 'em all on with my little olympus. I have made one final decision & that is to buy as best as i can & if that means waiting then be it.

But i dont think i can wait deal.gif

Me up close PF ??.. who drew the short straw & is sharing a rooom with me ?
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Snow 'eh ? That will be a first...cant wait.

PF i am aiming to buy when i get there as it is a hell of a lot cheaper there than here. Not set in stone though...if i cant afford it then i will take 'em all on with my little olympus. I have made one final decision & that is to buy as best as i can & if that means waiting then be it.

I can make no guarantee, but if I have purchased a new 20D by May, I will still have my Rebel as a back up and if you haven't been able to get your DSLR by then, you can use my Rebel. I feel very confident that some of the others hear might have a spare tripod, lenses, and other gear to outfit you properly.

Resistance is futile. You will go home with great photos!

Sam
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2005
    Humungus wrote:

Do you know where you'll buy? If you need a US address for mail order, I'm
    sure many of us would be happy to help.

Ian
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2005
    Sam wrote:
    I can make no guarantee, but if I have purchased a new 20D by May, I will still have my Rebel as a back up and if you haven't been able to get your DSLR by then, you can use my Rebel. I feel very confident that some of the others hear might have a spare tripod, lenses, and other gear to outfit you properly.

Resistance is futile. You will go home with great photos!

Sam
    Thanks Sam...pretty cool site this thumb.gif I have a tripod. Im pretty lost as to go nikon or canon...enough scotsman in me to take the whole thing slowly as i dont want to make a mistake. I really want to start shooting local motor racing here & hence the 'long glass' monster creeps in.

The only guarantee is that i will be there.....
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    Do you know where you'll buy? If you need a US address for mail order, I'm
    sure many of us would be happy to help.

Ian
    Thanks ian....will keep that in mind. Just too far out to work out what im going to do as yet. I am organising so flight stuff & paypal today & then i will start working things out. My heads still spinning.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2005
    announcing our second shoot-out scholarship
    i'm really psyched about this one! michiel de brieder, from the netherlands, will be joining us! michiel is a "starving student" heheh so the contribution by smugmug towards this trip is really a huge benefit to him :D michiel is an outstanding photographer, and will be a huge asset to our trip!

welcome aboard, michiel, we're thrilled to have you coming along clap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2005
    ow man
    I am so touched by this :cry
    I still can't believe it, this will make me lose sleep at least for one night mwink.gif perhaps a lot more. I'm so excited to see all you guys and enjoy our passion of photography together! Just as my life was going okay it got a great deal better......
    I have quite a big mouth at times, but now I'm so silenced by my inner excitement...
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2005
    I am so touched by this :cry
    I still can't believe it, this will make me lose sleep at least for one night mwink.gif perhaps a lot more. I'm so excited to see all you guys and enjoy our passion of photography together! Just as my life was going okay it got a great deal better......
    I have quite a big mouth at times, but now I'm so silenced by my inner excitement...
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!

michiel, hopefully ian or dkapp will be able to carpool you to yosemite, all you'd have to do is cough up a few bucks for petrol :D

it's so awesome that you can come!
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2005
    Hi Ian, or Dave ...
    I'm coming too :D if I chip in on some petrol, would you mind me hitching a ride from San Francisco? I'm soooo excited about this trip mwink.gif

wowwowwow about all the kindness to people here thumb.gif
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2005
    clap.gif Exceelent, Michiel. I think a few of us may be heading up from the bay Area (San Fran or San Jose) and it would make sense for us to pool our travele expenses. I figure that as we get closer to the date, and we all know the arrival times of our flights, we can make arrangements.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2005
    Hey greaper still waiting to talk to you bout travel plans. PM me.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2005
    updated attendance
    staying at wawona:

andy
    steve cav
    nikolai
    jwear
    ian408
    wxwax
    kudbegud
    sam
    davidto
    greaper
    pathfinder + mrs
    dkapp + gf
    baldy + toni
    onethumb + elizabeth
    humungus
    michiel
    lark + fiance pat
    dragon300zx
    marc meunch
    gubbs and mrs gubbs

coming, but not staying at wawona:

nee7x7 + bill
    evil eggplant
    ehughes + wife
    dee + big ed + rayna

we're full up folks, no more room at the inn deal.gif
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2005
    What a spin out...the whole show !

Gents i need to secure flights tomorrow.

Dave ,what time & date do you expect to leave SF & return back ? I know this is a long call but I am going back in time here & if you are intending to leave early friday morning I will have to make sure im in SF on your thursday. Also... i wouldnt mind hanging for a day or 2 in SF to shoot some of those car chase streets ive seen for so long so will need an idea when you will return to SF.

Ta
    Gus
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2005
    Andy keeps leaving Rayna Golden off the list...
    We have room for 4 in our car if anyone doesn't have a lot of luggage, we're close to San Francisco Airport, so if plans go awry, keep me in mind.

An itinerary would be nice soon, are things starting on Friday morning, or Friday noon, or what? I figure all day Saturday, possibly Sunday morning till mid afternoon?

Depending on what time things start on Friday will determine if we leave Friday 3 or 4 a.m. or if leaving Friday 9 a.m. works.
  • Options
    SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2005
    I could be in SF thursday before you'll leave.. is there a dinner date we can arrange with the people from this area? That would be nice! And Michiel, when are you planning to travel? It would be fun to be on one of my flights?
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2005
    Flights to the US and back are now reserved! :D Just need to sort out some internal flights now!
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2005
    Thanks Sid :D

I'm good on the planning whatever happens because I will probably be staying with a cousin of mine who lives about an hour drive from San Fr. So I think I can make about any time on friday. I'll be in the States from the 1st until the 15th of May (hey, I'm almost graduating, I deserve a holiday thumb.gif) Staying with my cousin also means that I can pack light for the weekend (considering clothes, not gear rolleyes1.gif) and that my bags won't take up that much space.

So I'll wait for a bit to see if there's someone I can tag along with :D but it seems there are already some people driving from the Bay Area, so I think everything will come together

I can't wait :D
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2005
    Dee wrote:
    We have room for 4 in our car if anyone doesn't have a lot of luggage, we're close to San Francisco Airport, so if plans go awry, keep me in mind.

An itinerary would be nice soon, are things starting on Friday morning, or Friday noon, or what? I figure all day Saturday, possibly Sunday morning till mid afternoon?

Depending on what time things start on Friday will determine if we leave Friday 3 or 4 a.m. or if leaving Friday 9 a.m. works.

i fixed that, dee, rayna, yah! yeah, i'll have an itinerary some day soon. been rather busy here lately just getting things put together, arranging for rooms, a photographer, and the scholarships. figure noon-ish friday till after the morning light on sunday.
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2005
    SeeMoon wrote:
    I could be in SF thursday before you'll leave.. is there a dinner date we can arrange with the people from this area? That would be nice! And Michiel, when are you planning to travel? It would be fun to be on one of my flights?
    SeeMoon, dinner Thursday in SF would be great! thumb.gif I'll try to plan on it. Sounds like others will be arriving Thursday as well. Could be a big dinner party!
    Sid.
  • Options
    SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    SeeMoon, dinner Thursday in SF would be great! thumb.gif I'll try to plan on it. Sounds like others will be arriving Thursday as well. Could be a big dinner party!

Since we didn't make it to meet in Kuala Lumpur I'll have to think of something else eh? mwink.gif I'm not coming with you all to the park, but I'd very much like to meet for dinner!
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2005
    Definitely
    COUNT ME IN for dinner clap.gif I'll have to check how I'll get around during my stay :D but I'll manage! I'll be contacting a cousin of mine in that area tonight, then I know what more to arrange for myself and I'll be asking for some advice :D

Is it May yet? rolleyes1.gif
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder