Options

SmugBrowser - Firefox/Flock Extension BETA

Comments

• Options
    SouwalkerSouwalker Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2008
    Made a fatal error...upgraded to FF3 and Sumgbrowser does not work :-( I wish I read this thread first! :-)
    Should I uninstall FF3 and go back to FF2? Or wait for David do his magic?
    Thanks
    Pat
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 19, 2008
    Souwalker wrote:
    Made a fatal error...upgraded to FF3 and Sumgbrowser does not work :-( I wish I read this thread first! :-)
    Should I uninstall FF3 and go back to FF2? Or wait for David do his magic?
    Thanks
    Pat

I can't guarantee when I will get to it, I'm up to my eyeballs in API development at the moment...and with a newborn...my evenings can get sucked up pretty quickly as well.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    devbobo wrote:
    I can't guarantee when I will get to it, I'm up to my eyeballs in API development at the moment...and with a newborn...my evenings can get sucked up pretty quickly as well.

Congratulations Dev!

How new? We've got a 5-month old boy ourselves (to add to the 4-year old boy). He's still keeping waking my wife up in the early morning for a feeding, but otherwise he's a pretty good sleeper.

Ah well, at least you can work from home, eh? Although coding w/ one hand [the other on the bottle (get it? sucked up? heh.) or cradling the baby] is tough work. :-}
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2008
    darryl wrote:
    Congratulations Dev!

How new? We've got a 5-month old boy ourselves (to add to the 4-year old boy). He's still keeping waking my wife up in the early morning for a feeding, but otherwise he's a pretty good sleeper.

Ah well, at least you can work from home, eh? Although coding w/ one hand [the other on the bottle (get it? sucked up? heh.) or cradling the baby] is tough work. :-}

Thanks Darryl. thumb.gif

Caitlin is just over 4 weeks old, and we also have an almost 4yo, which makes life interesting.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    devbobo wrote:

Congratulations! thumb.gif
  • Options
    mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    Congratulations Dev and Darryl on your new additions! clap.gif But don't count on getting your free time back anytime soon! I have one headed off to college soon and still have not gotten my free time back! rolleyes1.gif

Can anyone point me in the direction of how to revert FF 3 back to 2? I have been Googling this morning but have not had any luck. I do not see anything in ver 3 that makes me want to give up Smugbrowser!
  • Options
    mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    I found the information I was looking for finally. If you want to revert (I DID!) try here:

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Upgrading+to+Firefox+3

Smugbrowser is back!!! clap.gifclapclap.gif
  • Options
    SouwalkerSouwalker Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    mrcoons wrote:
    I found the information I was looking for finally. If you want to revert (I DID!) try here:

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Upgrading+to+Firefox+3

Smugbrowser is back!!! clap.gifclapclap.gif

FF2 will be maintained till Mid December 2008, hopefully Dave would've sorted Smugbrowser by then :-)

Pat
  • Options
    dusty-dogdusty-dog Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    Congrats, Dev. clap.gif Sounds like you're more than up to your eyeballs in busy-ness these days. I also updated to FF3, and I do miss smugbrowser. I figured you'd get to it when you can, and I'm not going to revert to FF2 just for smugbrowser. I can wait, though I do really miss it alot. Maybe this is a bad question, but I'll ask anyway.....

Given that you;re so busy, is smugbrowser open source, so that someone else can just pick up where you left off, and bring it up to speed? I'm not volunteering for the job. I know absolutely nothing about coding. I'm just a happy end user. But, if someone else steps up, would that be OK? Just askin'..... ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    swcolleenswcolleen Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    flock...
    Has anyone but me tried this in Flock? I just installed and going to start playing...but is everything the same as FF?

ty
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2008
    swcolleen wrote:
    Has anyone but me tried this in Flock? I just installed and going to start playing...but is everything the same as FF?

ty

well, yes it should work fine.

But using the new flock 2.0 release, you will have the same issue as the new Firefox 3 release, since flock 2.0 is based on the Firefox 3 code base.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    rwalls3rwalls3 Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited June 28, 2008
    Link not working...
    Download link isn't working for me right now. Can someone point me to another link? Thanks!

Ryan

**edit** nevermind, it's working now. :)
  • Options
    voicelitvoicelit Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2008
    Why Doesn't It Work For Me
    I don't seem to get this at all. Can some one talk me through how to get started. Smug browser is in my FIREFOX tool, I click on it : i see fil & tools tabs; tree & upload, I have my accounts listed there, right click on one : work offline, new category, properties, log in, logout. Click on " new category " nothing happens ?

Any ideas,

Marty (dotfur.com)
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2008
    Question about using it for settings:

If I only want to change one setting, say for example I want everything to smugmug viewing style and I only change that setting in the bulk settings, do the rest of my setttings stay as they were or do they default to something else?

Thanks!

Oh and thanks for answer to the FLock question too! I just checked and I am still using v 1.2 so I will keep it that way for now:)
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2008
    swcolleen wrote:
    Question about using it for settings:

If I only want to change one setting, say for example I want everything to smugmug viewing style and I only change that setting in the bulk settings, do the rest of my setttings stay as they were or do they default to something else?

Thanks!

Oh and thanks for answer to the FLock question too! I just checked and I am still using v 1.2 so I will keep it that way for now:)

The other settings stay as they are. thumb.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2008
    devbobo wrote:
    The other settings stay as they are. thumb.gif

Sweet! Thanks! Now I can do some more playing! I think I have been hiding under a rock not having used this before now!lol
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2008
    I want to isntall this but I'm currently running Firefox 3.0, any big bugs concerning an installation on it? Basically, I just want to be able to upload images through an easy GUI on Firefox!

Cool work though, wish others would help you out on perfecting this hoo-dingy.
  • Options
    HallidayHalliday Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    No worky on FF 3.0 :(
    www.lanceshuey.com

I won't sell out even if the whole world think's I'm crazy.
  • Options
    HaighHaigh Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    Version v0.5.5 from the link on post #1 will not load on FF3. I get a message saying it´s incompatible with FF3

Any workaround or news on an update?
  • Options
    dgentiledgentile Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited July 12, 2008
    Same here... I've recently updated to FF3, and no longer have FF2 installed... and it the 0.5.5 (is this the latest, or have I missed something) will not work...

seems like an amazing tool, but so far I had no chance to try it :cry
    Daniel Gentile Photography:www.dgentile.net
  • Options
    DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2008
    If anyone downloaded FF3 and wants a prior version, to work with smugbrowser and whatnot:

Clicky for Old Firefox versions thumb.gif
  • Options
    tonsofpicstonsofpics Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    Moving Galleries
    Can I move galleries around in Smugbrowser? I am revamping my nav bar and want to make some major changes. I need to move a large number of galleries to be under a different catagory. Any ideas how I should do this?

Thanks,
    Jamie
    www.timelessmoment.com
  • Options
    dwterrydwterry Registered Users Posts: 209 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    Do bribes help?
    Would a bribe help get smugbrowser up and running on FF3 any quicker?

Do you have a Paypal account? (I'm just saying ... I'm serious)
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    dwterry wrote:
    Would a bribe help get smugbrowser up and running on FF3 any quicker?

Do you have a Paypal account? (I'm just saying ... I'm serious)
    You could run it on FF 2 thumb.gif or Flock ...
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    You could run it on FF 2 thumb.gif or Flock ...

Yup, I'm running FF2 on one machine and FF3 on the other. Just getting tired of the FF2 crashes and hoping that FF3 will solve them (having seen FF3 crash yet, so I'm hopeful).

Still... time is money and so I'm pointing out that an update to smugbrowser is worth "money" to me. That's why I'm offering the bribe. :-)
  • Options
    brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    Does the bulk watermark setting in Smugbrowser switch the watermarks?
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    Does the bulk watermark setting in Smugbrowser switch the watermarks?
    I think it will only change what you have set on the customize page. You'd have
    to use the photo tools > watermark and reapply.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2008
    tonsofpics wrote:
    Can I move galleries around in Smugbrowser? I am revamping my nav bar and want to make some major changes. I need to move a large number of galleries to be under a different catagory. Any ideas how I should do this?

I've made the request for drag-and-drop to Dev, and I believe it was even part of his original design.

But for now, you'll have to right-click, Properties, and go to the drop-down menu.

You can actually get pretty fast at it, because you can start typing the first few letters of the new category when the drop-down box is selected and it will "jump" to the one that matches.

But yeah, easier management of galleries in categories would be *hugely helpful*. I would contribute to a bribe for this feature too, as well as FF3 compatibility. But I know Dev is busy with the new baby, along with other SmugMug duties (oAuth -- yawn, whatever -- SmugMug is the only API I write to. Well, ok, and sometimes Phanfare. :-)
  • Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2008
    I've been chatting with Nikolai (of Star*Explorer fame) about the possibility of him making a SmugBrowser type program that allows drag and drop arrange, watermarking, etc.. His answer was that he could do it, but, given the development time, he wanted a few people to "chip in" to the cost of development. In exchange, you would get a copy of the program when done, with free support. Others would have to pay for support, etc..

So... If you're interested in something like this, PM me or email me.

David
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2008
    Hmmm... I'm certainly guilty of having more money than time, and probably far less guilty of having more sense than money. But at $200 we're approaching the cost of products such as Lightroom (a program I "live" in) whereas an uploader is more of just a "tool" for me. I think I'll pass on the $200 offer.

I've been a fan of Smugbrowser for quite awhile... it would take a better product (and not just a promise of one) to get me to move.