Options

SmugBrowser - Firefox/Flock Extension BETA

Comments

• Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2008
    dwterry wrote:
    Hmmm... I'm certainly guilty of having more money than time, and probably far less guilty of having more sense than money. we're approaching the cost of products such as Lightroom (a program I "live" in) whereas an uploader is more of just a "tool" for me.

I've been a fan of Smugbrowser for quite awhile... it would take a better product (and not just a promise of one) to get me to move.
    It wouldn't be an uploader (well, it would do that probably), but.. The big deal would be that you could arrange whole galleries, categories, sub-categories in bulk, apply watermarks, themes, etc.. And drag & drop stuff to move it. So, want Gallery X to live in a different Category? Just drag it over. Want to apply a new watermark to 100 galleries? Click a button.

It's probably not for everyone, but, it would bring a professional skin to SM allowing you to manage your site in bulk (sort of like smugbrowser), but more powerful.

David
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2008
    Let me chip in... We spoke with David indeed. We're talking some serious pro level stuff. Way more advanced for a mom with P&S to handle. We're talking months of UI development alone, I'm not even talking about the backend stuff (full sync capability, trasparent backgroud upload/dowload, most likely deep windows shell integration i.e. smugmug will be just another one of your "drives", etc). It's a tool for high level high volume computer literate pros. Such tools, just like LR, do not come cheap. But unlike LR, this tool doesn't have as wide target audience, since its area of application is limited to Smugmug (duh) and Windows (duh again) only. Which, unfortunately doesn't make it any less compliacted or easier to develop...ne_nau.gif
    And of course there are plenty of free/standard tools, they seem to work just fine as I've been told...mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    dwterrydwterry Registered Users Posts: 209 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2008
    Yeah, as a software developer myself (I was writing shareware back when shareware was in it's infancy (i.e. mid 80's)), I can appreciate market size evaluations and all that.

But to ask for money up front for a project that hasn't started, and one that we won't even know what all we're getting until later (how many months again, did you say?), I just don't feel like we have that kind of relationship. That's the stuff of "signed contracts and such", which really isn't the type of environment I feel like we're in here.

I'll wait and see what he produces and then decide if it fits my needs... that's the point at which I can throw money around.

And I'm not be self-contradictive at all. With Smugbrowser, I already know it fits my needs. I just need a FF3 version of it. That's why I'm so ready to throw money his way to help him along.

Anyway, just thought I'd clarify my stance and why I'm so hesitant to spend anything for one project and so ready to do so for the other.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2008
    Oh, totally, no one's forcing you, it's a free country. mwink.gif
    In fact doing it wasn't even my idea. I have other stuff to do with my time, way more pleasing on the eye, too:-). But David obviously needs it and after we talked about it we thought there may be a few people interested in having such a tool, hence he posted...
    BTW, this model worked pretty good with S*E. Those who pitched in originally got more back than they spent and some who pitched more got the features they wanted which simply wouldn't exist otherwise..
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2008
    You can choose to participate, or not. It's up to you. But, Nik is a trusted member of this community, and has continually produced excellent software in the form of S*E.

I believe that Nik would make it work.. I can't afford to pay him all myself, but, I would if I could.

But, if a bunch of us get together and pool our resources, we all benefit! We all get a really great Smugmug tool, and we don't have to pay through the nose for custom programming!

David
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2008
    tonsofpics wrote:
    Can I move galleries around in Smugbrowser? I am revamping my nav bar and want to make some major changes. I need to move a large number of galleries to be under a different catagory. Any ideas how I should do this?

Hey Jamie --

If you're on Windows, give NitroDesk a try. I didn't realize it, but it can do bulk category changes. I just tested it and it works great!

The only downside is that I couldn't find any sensible sorting options for the albums. So you'll have to scroll around to find and select all the albums (holding down control or shift) you want to move into a category, but once you've selected them, you can bulk change their category with one easy drop-down menu.

Give it a try. Hopefully there's still some free licenses available: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=886910#post886910
  • Options
    shadowdancer36shadowdancer36 Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited August 10, 2008
    Any upgrades for 3.01 FF ? Won't allow me to install.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:
    I've been chatting with Nikolai (of Star*Explorer fame) about the possibility of him making a SmugBrowser type program that allows drag and drop arrange, watermarking, etc.. His answer was that he could do it, but, given the development time, he wanted a few people to "chip in" to the cost of development. In exchange, you would get a copy of the program when done, with free support. Others would have to pay for support, etc..

So... If you're interested in something like this, PM me or email me.

David
    Nik, David: If I can make a donation that might cover erem, a few cases of RedBull or whatever, well, I'll be happy to :D
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2008
    Smugbrowser stopped working (uploading)
    Suddenly Smugbrowser has stopped working for me. The program runs, but I can't drag and drop any images onto it. The mouse cursor remains a circle with a line through it (signifying that the operation is not allowed).

Any ideas what is wrong?

One possible clue: Earlier today I had installed Microsoft Silverlight into my browser (FF2). That's about the only thing I think that could have done it.

Suggestions?
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Nik, David: If I can make a donation that might cover erem, a few cases of RedBull or whatever, well, I'll be happy to :D
    Andy, thanks so much for the generous offer! Now, if only a few other people would step up to the plate--we could get this project going!

Allen? Others? :)

David
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:
    Andy, thanks so much for the generous offer! Now, if only a few other people would step up to the plate--we could get this project going!

Allen? Others? :)

David

If a modest contribution will help I'm up for it .
    Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2008
    caroline wrote:
    If a modest contribution will help I'm up for it .
    Caroline
    Just sent you a Private Message! :)

David
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:
    Just sent you a Private Message! :)

David
    Thank you David, PM'd you back.

Cone on Guys there must be plenty more of you who would put your hands in your pockets for this ne_nau.gif

Caroline

[/URL]
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2008
    caroline wrote:
    Thank you David, PM'd you back.

Cone on Guys there must be plenty more of you who would put your hands in your pockets for this ne_nau.gif

Caroline

I'm interested in getting an update to Smugbrowser for FF3 ... even willing to donate money for the update (have privately told the developer so). I'm just not willing to spend cash on an as-yet undefined project with no known outcome.

This other project ... I have no idea what features it would have, how well it would work, how it would fit into my workflow, whether I would even want it after it is finished. Unless I have money burning a hole in my pocket, why on earth would I pay money for that?

Sorry.
  • Options
    tomautotomauto Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    Suddenly Smugbrowser has stopped working for me. The program runs, but I can't drag and drop any images onto it. The mouse cursor remains a circle with a line through it (signifying that the operation is not allowed).

Any ideas what is wrong?

One possible clue: Earlier today I had installed Microsoft Silverlight into my browser (FF2). That's about the only thing I think that could have done it.

Suggestions?

I am having no luck moving any of the categories or sub-categories around. I also have silverlight on my computer. I wonder if that is just a isolated problem for us...
    My Smugmug Site! http://tomauto.smugmug.com/
    Canon Quality l Canon 30D l Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 "L" IS Lens l Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS Lens l Canon 580ex ii Flash l Canon 580ex Flash l Canon BG-E2N Battery Grip
    Strobist 101 kit l Bogen / Manfrotto Super Clamp l Westcott Umbrellas - Soft Silver Collapsible and Optical White 43" l Bogen / Manfrotto 3373 Light Stand l Photoflex Multiclamp

• Options
    edited August 21, 2008
    Smugbrowser doesn't work fr me in FF3 (Mac OSX) and I really miss it :-(

Can I get my old FF back from somewhere and re-install so it will work ?

Caroline

[/URL]
  • Options
    tomautotomauto Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    I seem to be missing something...

I am running on Firefox 2.0.0.16
    I took off silverlight.

still no workie headscratch.gif

I am in the process of updating my website for the new school year. I need to ''archive'' my photos. I want to move all of the galleries from "07-08 School Sports" and "07-08 School Events" into another gallery category.

Essentially I want to move these two gallery categories below...
    http://tomauto.smugmug.com/07-08%20School%20Sports
    http://tomauto.smugmug.com/07-08%20School%20Events

...into this gallery category
    http://tomauto.smugmug.com/School%20Photo%20Archive%20Fall%2006-Spring%2007

If there are any tips please let me know.
    My Smugmug Site! http://tomauto.smugmug.com/
    Canon Quality l Canon 30D l Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 "L" IS Lens l Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS Lens l Canon 580ex ii Flash l Canon 580ex Flash l Canon BG-E2N Battery Grip
    Strobist 101 kit l Bogen / Manfrotto Super Clamp l Westcott Umbrellas - Soft Silver Collapsible and Optical White 43" l Bogen / Manfrotto 3373 Light Stand l Photoflex Multiclamp

• Options
    encosionencosion Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    devbobo wrote:
    Supports:-
    - Firefox
    - Flock
    Heya... Another shout out for FF3 support pretty please! And could you update the first post clearly let people know it's not working on FF3 yet? Ta!
    Canon EOS 500D (Kiss X3)
    85mm f/1.8, 17-50 + 28-75m
    f/2.8 lenses
    iMac 24" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme, 4Gb RAM, OSX 10.5.7
    http://encosion.com/ | http://encosion.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2008
    I did it!
    I pulled the switch on Firefox 3. :)

That, of course, means I left smugbrowser behind. :(

For now, I'm using Star*Explorer to handle my uploading needs. I do feel smugbrowser is the better solution. But for now I can have the much needed FF3 *and* still keep the ability to upload to multiple galleries.
  • Options
    cmalcmal Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited August 29, 2008
    Smugbrowser for FF3 Please!!!
    Pretty please with molasses on top. :sweet I REALLY NEED the Smugbrowser for Firefox3
    Please visit my galleries: http://cynthiamalbon.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2008
    cmal wrote:
    Pretty please with molasses on top. :sweet I REALLY NEED the Smugbrowser for Firefox3

Hi Cynthia
    I downloaded a previous version of FF from the mozilla site and I switch to that with Smugbrowser - just a thought.

Caroline

[/URL]
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2008
    Need a favor, SmugBrowser Peeps!
    Who's interested in making a very basic SmugBrowser tute that we can put here:

In the SmugMug Stuff section
    http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1100284

Anyone? Thanks! ear.gif
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2008
    Andy wrote:

Anyone? Thanks! ear.gif

Very basic:
    If using FF3 - don't use smugbrowser. :(

(sorry, there's a pain point there)
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2008
    Andy,
    Now I've got FF2 something again I use it but am never completely sure all aspects of it work properly for me. This would be really useful, if no-one else steps up I could contribute something ne_nau.gif
    Caroline
    Andy wrote:

Anyone? Thanks! ear.gif

[/URL]
  • Options
    javierplumeyjavierplumey Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2008
    Any tutorial on this futile unless you have FF3 support.
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited September 21, 2008
    A SmugMug user, Fendy Oei has been kind enough to fix SmugBrowser to work with FF3. Details here.

Thanks Fendy. bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    dhlewisdhlewis Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    Thanks Fendy, installed will test out soon

devbobo wrote:
    A SmugMug user, Fendy Oei has been kind enough to fix SmugBrowser to work with FF3. Details here.

Thanks Fendy. bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif

dale@dhlewisphotography.com
    http://dhlewisphotography.com
  • Options
    MrAlexTheDogMrAlexTheDog Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    i've also downloaded smugbrowser for ff3. will update if i run into any problems.

thanks, fendy, for the update, and to david for providing smugbrowser in the first place!
  • Options
    edited September 22, 2008
    Downloaded Smugbrowser for FF3 and uploaded 300Mb last night. The upload itself went without a hitch, in fact, everything looked and acted exactly like the previous version of FF3. Kudos!

I don't know whether I ran into a network glitch or what... but the very first time I loaded Smugbrowser, it got stuck loading my folder hierarchy. I let it sit there for a really long time (I think I have something like 800+ folders) and finally killed it. The 2nd time I loaded Smugbrowser it loaded everything up fairly quickly. So I can't say that this is a beta issue ... just mentioning it "just in case".
  • Options
    edited September 22, 2008
    dwterry wrote:
    Downloaded Smugbrowser for FF3 and uploaded 300Mb last night. The upload itself went without a hitch, in fact, everything looked and acted exactly like the previous version of FF3. Kudos!

I don't know whether I ran into a network glitch or what... but the very first time I loaded Smugbrowser, it got stuck loading my folder hierarchy. I let it sit there for a really long time (I think I have something like 800+ folders) and finally killed it. The 2nd time I loaded Smugbrowser it loaded everything up fairly quickly. So I can't say that this is a beta issue ... just mentioning it "just in case".
    Same for me, ignored it till I read your post.