Options

SmugMug Feature Requests #3

Comments

• Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 5, 2006
    encosion wrote:
    I said "within a KEYWORD gallery"... You currently have a drop down menu called "tools:" with two options "Edit this Caption/Keyword" and "Edit Captions/Keywords (Bulk)"... But the latter takes you to the "Bulk Captioning" page of the gallery of the currently selected photo... Not to a "Bulk Captioning" page based on the images in the KEYWORD gallery I'm on... Obviously the images in the KEYWORD gallery are from different galleries... So to change them all, you'd have to spend considerable time, based on how well you know your photos / how well you've tagged them etc...
    gotcha, i missed the part about the keyword gallery.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    chrispf007 wrote:
    I would like a way to delete Smugmug standard Categories that I will never use OR in the drop down menu have 2 sections and put the user created categories at the top.
    I don't think we can do the former, but I LOVE THE second part of your suggestion thumb.gif
  • Options
    xxclixxxxxclixxx Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I don't think we can do the former, but I LOVE THE second part of your suggestion thumb.gif

I would also love this too... We categorize our photos based on the town/city the photos were taken from (all are taken in the same state) and it gets pretty annoying having to read all the defaults to see if the town/city is already in there.
    Tim Linden
    http://www.riphoto.com/
    Please Vote - External Shopping Cart Links:
    http://uservoice.com/a/mL8RD
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2006
    I'd like it if I could FTP the photos instead of using the http upload process. I'm trying Star Explorer now but even that seems to get choked up while an upload is in process. FTP I could upload zillions to multiple sites at the same time and be fine.
    Tim Linden
  • Options
    chrispf007chrispf007 Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    Good to hear support for my suggestion
    I would also welcome the ability to ftp, but I assume that it won't happen. I have to say the OSX Loader seem to work well as does Star Explorer, but as you say with limits.
    xxclixxx wrote:
    I would also love this too... We categorize our photos based on the town/city the photos were taken from (all are taken in the same state) and it gets pretty annoying having to read all the defaults to see if the town/city is already in there.
    Chris Pal-Freeman
    Freelance Web Designer
    Current project:http://www.rachaelkubik.com
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 5, 2006
    xxclixxx wrote:
    I'd like it if I could FTP the photos instead of using the http upload process. I'm trying Star Explorer now but even that seems to get choked up while an upload is in process. FTP I could upload zillions to multiple sites at the same time and be fine.

Perhaps you might like to try SmugBrowser, so far it's the only 3rd party app that allows uploading to multiple sites at the same time.

Additionally, it creates a tree view, so you can create galleries/albums in the correct State/City combination by selecting the correct location in the tree.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2006
    I'll give it a try sometime. I only have one smugmug site.. The point I was making is that FTP programs are able to do alot at the same time, and it seems these programs get hung up just on one upload. IE if I click Star Explorer to see the status it is halted until the current photo it is uploading is done, then it shows the status and then starts the next photo.
    Tim Linden
  • Options
    encosionencosion Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    xxclixxx wrote:
    I'll give it a try sometime. I only have one smugmug site.. The point I was making is that FTP programs are able to do alot at the same time, and it seems these programs get hung up just on one upload. IE if I click Star Explorer to see the status it is halted until the current photo it is uploading is done, then it shows the status and then starts the next photo.
    I can vouch for SmugBrowser... Made mince meat out of a mammoth for me when uploading my photos... And it DOES upload more than one photo at a time... You can't configure how many it decided to upload at a time... And I'm not sure how it works out how many either... But I was uploading about 8 pics at a time on my PC and 2 at a time on my Mac... It's pretty FTP like in it's interface really... You've got a queue and a tree structure etc... It's BETA software though, so don't expect bells and whistles yet...

Uploads on the Mac failed / hung quiet a bit, but no problems at all on the PC - even if a photo looked like it going to hang (the progress bar gets stuck on some photos occationally) it sorted itself out by the time the queue was done...

SmugBrowser is definitly in it's formative stages... But so far it's working a treat... Even the hanging problem I had on the Mac was preferable to using SmugMug's offering...
    Canon EOS 500D (Kiss X3)
    85mm f/1.8, 17-50 + 28-75m
    f/2.8 lenses
    iMac 24" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme, 4Gb RAM, OSX 10.5.7
    http://encosion.com/ | http://encosion.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    sunionesunione Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited December 8, 2006
    WYSIWYG please
    It would be great to be able to use some kind of WYSIWYG program (like FrontPage)to customize our SmugMug pages
    Suni R
    http://artbysuni.smugmug.com/

"IT'S ALL ABOUT THE LIGHT"
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2006
    sunione wrote:
    It would be great to be able to use some kind of WYSIWYG program (like FrontPage)to customize our SmugMug pages
    Hi, thanks for the suggestion.

In the meantime, if you are stuck, or need help, just make a post in the customizing forum, and our great team of Support Heroes and wondeful pro volunteers will get you going in NO TIME clap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2006
    Just wanted to add my support for the "Virtual Galleries" or "Collections" feature request. I've been wanting to go through my galleries and pick out my favorites (which will be a lot easier with the new prefetching goodness!). Rather than copying each favorite image to a new gallery, having a collection or VG to stick the reference in would be sweet.

I think of it like this... Right now you can access a group of images a few different ways with SmugMug: albums, keywords, dates. Giving the users an alternate way to organize their images is the next step down that path.

Thanks again for all the great work!thumb.gif
    -Greg
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2006
    Download originals is NOT clear enough
    My viewers are constantly getting confused about downloading originals. I have now seen this problem four times where viewers don't successfully download the originals when they intend to and, instead, end up with web-sized versions of the images. The fact that I've actually caught it four times tells me it has probably happen countless other times.

The UI for downloading originals is just not clear enough. As a consequence, people are ending up with very poor resolution photos that look fine on screen, but will print poorly.

Just yesterday, I got an email from one of my viewers thanking me for the photos and telling me that she'd downloaded all the originals of her son playing soccer. I looked in the download stats and there was no way she had downloaded all the originals - many of them had a zero by them. I email her to emphasize that if she intended to download the high resolution versions of the images that are best for printing, then she must use the "save photo" link under the photo. She eventually emailed me back that she had gotten her son to help her and now she had actually gotten all the originals. I checked the download stats and this time it looked like she did get them. The Smugmug UI failed on it's own.

Furthermore, when I announce the pictures and send out a link, I even tell people that they HAVE to use the "save photo" link if they want the high resolution originals that are good for printing. But, you know the story, people don't read directions so they ignore my instructions and just go by what they see on screen.

In another example, I took a bunch of pictures for the school that they were going to use in the yearbook. I posted them on Smugmug, enabled originals and told them they could download the originals for any that they wanted to use. A few days later, I get an email from the parent coordinating the work that the images printed all blotchy and really didn't work at all. After playing 20 questions with them, I finally discern that they had the low-res web versions. I explain they need to use the "save photo" link to get the high-res versions for printing and they need to start over with those versions. I hear a big sigh of disappointment (a bunch of lost work by the students) and then she finally understands.

These are only a few of the cases that have happened to me. And, these are only a few of the ones I know about. There are probably countless others that I don't know about.

So, my plea for a new feature request is to make it a lot more obvious how to download originals than it is today. Viewers are getting confused and they are downloading low-res web versions instead of the real originals, taking them to a printer and getting lousy print results.

Can we please have some significant UI improvement here for downloading originals?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2006
    New Gallery Style: Voting Booth
    How about a new gallery style, one that allows you to open up the gallery to voting, similar to the way voting is done on the dgrin photo challenges. I'm not talking about photorank, but something limited to a single gallery that isn't reflected in your most popular photos, but does show a count of the votes in that gallery.

An example of how this might be used: At a family reunion you take some large group family photos, you process the best of them, and upload them to a smugmug gallery. You want to send out a print of the best picture to everyone, but your not sure which picture everyone else will think is really the best. So you open up the gallery for the whole family to vote on what they all think is the best picture.

Voting is closed down at a specific date and time. And anyone can go back to the gallery and see the final count.

The voting could be controlled to a select group of people by making the gallery password protected.

Just my one item to add to the big wish list.:D
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2006
    greenpea wrote:
    How about a new gallery style, one that allows you to open up the gallery to voting, similar to the way voting is done on the dgrin photo challenges. I'm not talking about photorank, but something limited to a single gallery that isn't reflected in your most popular photos, but does show a count of the votes in that gallery.

An example of how this might be used: At a family reunion you take some large group family photos, you process the best of them, and upload them to a smugmug gallery. You want to send out a print of the best picture to everyone, but your not sure which picture everyone else will think is really the best. So you open up the gallery for the whole family to vote on what they all think is the best picture.

Voting is closed down at a specific date and time. And anyone can go back to the gallery and see the final count.

The voting could be controlled to a select group of people by making the gallery password protected.

Just my one item to add to the big wish list.:D
    Thanks greenpea!
  • Options
    DJKennedyDJKennedy Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2006
    Photobooks
    I realize that apparently someone put in the FR for photobooks, so I want to add my 2¢ worth on that subject...

Last year I searched all over for viable options for me to be able to create a photo book that would:
    • wouldn't be too expensive
    • gave ME all the freedom I needed (layout)
    • quality printing
    I came acrosse Momento from Australia. I haven't recieved the book yet so I can't say how the quality is yet. One problem is that they do not ship out of Australia!!! Luckly, I knew someone here locally who had relitives living there that I could ship it to (and luckly she is coming here for Xmas so I get it hand delivered!).

The free downloaded s/w from Momento is the only one that I happen to have come across that gave me all the layout freedom I wanted/needed.

The other programs I came across had set layouts which I did not want at all as I was trying to make a photobook of my son's first 4 years wich would have photos (of course) and text. Momento is the only company that lets you (uhm, that I found so far) place the photos where you want them, and lets you place text where you want text - not in preset layouts.

Not sure what SM is looking at as far as photobooks are concerned, but I personally found Momento from Australia the best option for my needs.

My 2¢ on that subject.

Does anyone know of a company in North America that will give me the freedom that I need for photobooks? I did find Momento a little expensive, but the freedom they gave me made it worth it for what I was doing. If someone does know of another company preferably in NA, let me know!

Derek
    http://www.djkennedy.com

What did Cinderella say when she left the photo shop? "One day my prints will come."

• Options
    dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2006
    DJKennedy wrote:

Does anyone know of a company in North America that will give me the freedom that I need for photobooks? I did find Momento a little expensive, but the freedom they gave me made it worth it for what I was doing. If someone does know of another company preferably in NA, let me know!

Derek

I've used Shutterfly with great success. Their builder is a bit structured, but very solid. I tried Sony's Imagstation for photobook's where it is more freeform, but their builder was not as reliable and I wasn't sure what I was going to end up with so I didn't order what I had started.
  • Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2006
    DJKennedy wrote:

I've been hapy with the books I've made and purchased from Seattle based Photoworks.
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    DJKennedyDJKennedy Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2006
    greenpea wrote:
    I've been hapy with the books I've made and purchased from Seattle based Photoworks.

I'll take a look at Shutterfly and Photoworks - thanks guys.
    http://www.djkennedy.com

What did Cinderella say when she left the photo shop? "One day my prints will come."

• Options
    noniladynonilady Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2006
    additional item in statistic, to inlc. of free downloads
    it would be nice if sm could add the above feature, so that any gallery owners who wish to release some of their images as free download for certain period would be able to see the statistics..
    Nonilady
    long way to go but getting there:D:ivar:lynnma
  • Options
    TobyToby Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited December 17, 2006
    Free "viewer accounts"
    Hi, after reading this post, I came up with a feature that I would appreciate. Why not a "super slim" free account that allow people to register and log in, but not to upload anything or have galleries of their own. The purpose would be to allow logged in friends and family to view private galleries and edit captions etc., without having to "force" them to pay for the complete thing if they are not interested in uploading their own pics anyway.
  • Options
    VisionsbyBakerVisionsbyBaker Registered Users Posts: 7 Big grins
    edited December 17, 2006
    Register to leave comments...
    Has any thought gone into making it a requirment to register with an email address or something to be allowed to leave a comment?
    I know we can make comments "approval required", but that doesn't help identify who the comment really came from.
    Here's the reason for my request... I'm planning a promotion for 2007 that will generate a lot of traffic to my site and hopefully more booked sessions. I'm thinking of giving away a Disney vacation package with the winner announced on Christmas day '07. The winner will be decided by popular vote. If I count comments to individual images as votes, under the current configuration, there is no way for me to control misuse. That's where the "registered voter" system comes in. Sure, if someone has multiple valid email addresses the system could still be misused, but at least it would be minimized.
    So that's the idea, any opinions, options, or suggegtions are more than welcome.
    Jeffery A. Baker Sr., CPP
    When Excellence Matters, and Good Enough, Isn't.
    www.VisionsbyBaker.com
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2006
    Has any thought gone into making it a requirment to register with an email address or something to be allowed to leave a comment?
    I know we can make comments "approval required", but that doesn't help identify who the comment really came from.
    Here's the reason for my request... I'm planning a promotion for 2007 that will generate a lot of traffic to my site and hopefully more booked sessions. I'm thinking of giving away a Disney vacation package with the winner announced on Christmas day '07. The winner will be decided by popular vote. If I count comments to individual images as votes, under the current configuration, there is no way for me to control misuse. That's where the "registered voter" system comes in. Sure, if someone has multiple valid email addresses the system could still be misused, but at least it would be minimized.
    So that's the idea, any opinions, options, or suggegtions are more than welcome.

You can fairly easily do this on your own, with customization. You need a form hosting site, they are out there. Make a post in the Customization forum, and ask for the form that Mike Lane put together. When I get time later today I'll try to find the linked thread, too :D
  • Options
    reach4urstarreach4urstar Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited December 19, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Just wanted to make sure you knew about our Date functionality :)

http://www.reach4urstar.smugmug.com/date

Yes, I am aware of this function, doesn't quite help me with my bulk category changing needs, though...
    Lara
    Canon 40D

www.digipose.com
  • Options
    03FatBoy03FatBoy Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited December 20, 2006
    How to avoid uploading duplicates?
    Is there an easy way to avoid uploading duplicate photos into a gallery?

For instance, if I have 100 photos in a gallery and want to add some more, but I'm not sure what photos are there?

Can smugmug check and compare file names before upload and/or only upload those that have changed or are new?

Perhaps this should be a feature request if it is not currently available.
    Jamie Ward - working on my dad's website
    www.charlesawardphotography.com
    cward.smugmug.com
  • Options
    norvignorvig Registered Users Posts: 4 Big grins
    edited December 20, 2006
    Allow view of photo sales for power (maybe regular) members
    I think you should allow power users (and possibly regular users) to see how many prints have been ordered. It is useful information, and it could lead to conversions to pro accounts ... the photographer who takes pictures of his/her kid's soccer games, shares them with other parents, sees that a lot are selling, and decided to upgrade to pro ... Or maybe you think this kind of a user is not a real pro and would be a pain to maintain?
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2006
    norvig wrote:
    I think you should allow power users (and possibly regular users) to see how many prints have been ordered. It is useful information, and it could lead to conversions to pro accounts ... the photographer who takes pictures of his/her kid's soccer games, shares them with other parents, sees that a lot are selling, and decided to upgrade to pro ... Or maybe you think this kind of a user is not a real pro and would be a pain to maintain?
    Heh that's not it at all :D We love all our customers equally and do not differentiate in the way in which we provide support, to standard, power, and pro customers.

Right now, we only have reporting on Pro sales, with profit (priced photos). Others have asked what you're asking, and I wish we had a way to do it now, but we don't.

Thanks for the suggestion!
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2006
    03FatBoy wrote:
    Is there an easy way to avoid uploading duplicate photos into a gallery?

For instance, if I have 100 photos in a gallery and want to add some more, but I'm not sure what photos are there?

Can smugmug check and compare file names before upload and/or only upload those that have changed or are new?

Perhaps this should be a feature request if it is not currently available.
    Thanks for the feature request.
  • Options
    reach4urstarreach4urstar Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited December 20, 2006
    03FatBoy wrote:

The program "Send to Smugmug" does this, I believe.
    Lara
    Canon 40D

www.digipose.com
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 20, 2006
    Toby wrote:
    Hi, after reading this post, I came up with a feature that I would appreciate. Why not a "super slim" free account that allow people to register and log in, but not to upload anything or have galleries of their own. The purpose would be to allow logged in friends and family to view private galleries and edit captions etc., without having to "force" them to pay for the complete thing if they are not interested in uploading their own pics anyway.

Toby,

All of this (except editing captions) can be achieve with share groups.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2006
    Replace Photo Feature Idea
    There have been a number of previous feature requests to enhance the Replace Photo function, especially now that it's being used for proof delay for pros. It seems the best result here would be to let people use the normal uploaders they are used to rather than making people go to the one at a time replace photo function. Here's an idea for how to do that:

What if you allowed existing uploaders to put themselves in a mode (which would not be the normal default) where a file uploaded to a gallery will replace a previous photo in the same gallery with the same fliename (like copying files to a directory will do). In this way, a user who wanted to replace/update some photos in their gallery could just make changes to them on their hard disk, use the same uploader they normally use, flip a switch in that uploader to tell it to turn "replace same filename mode" to "on" and then go about their business uploading files. This would be generally useful for proof delay and for anytime you want to "upgrade" the photos in a gallery to newer versions. Today, you either have to use the antiquated UI of replace photo and do them one at a time or you have to upload replacements and delete the originals (the latter will not work for proof-delay).

You wouldn't want uploaders to normally be in this mode because you don't want people to shoot themselves in the foot when they aren't trying to. So, I think you'd probably add a parameter to the upload APIs that would let you enable this new "replace same filename" function.

I should add that I use Star*Explorer and would like to use it for Replace Photo with this extra feature. In that way, I could queue up multiple photos all to be replaced across multiple galleries, tell Star*Explorer I want to be in "Replace Photo" mode and then let it go.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
This discussion has been closed.