Options

SmugMug Feature Requests #3

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    There have been a number of previous feature requests to enhance the Replace Photo function,
    Thanks John, I'll make sure that Ben and Onethumb see this.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2006
    I think the best way to handle replace photo is this:

Make a new mode (like arrange mode), where each thumbnail is an uploader, like the universal uploader. That way you could drag this file to that thumb, this other file to this other thumb, etc. You could see what you were doing, and upload multiple images for replacing at once.

That would make my heart soar like an eagle! :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    esc2476esc2476 Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2006
    Just a theme request: my sister just had a baby and I was making a gallery for the photos I took, but noticed there are two gallery themes for a baby girl, but none for a boy. So, I am requesting a baby boy theme. (I am using the football one for now).
  • Options
    03FatBoy03FatBoy Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited December 23, 2006
    Cancel button on crop page
    Threre should be a cancel button on the cropping page. Right now, the user has to click the back button on the browser if he/she changes their mind.
    Jamie Ward - working on my dad's website
    www.charlesawardphotography.com
    cward.smugmug.com
  • Options
    westiswestis Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited December 25, 2006
    Translation/localization
    For us non-English speaking users it would be nice with an easy way to translate the user interface. That is, words like Prev/Next, Slideshow, galleries, keywords etc.

Virtual galleries

And I'm seconding the virtual galleries/collections FR. Actually, I've been thinking of changing to Zenfolio for this one feature, but I'd rather stay with SmugMug. :)

Option to not include keywords from filename
    I often use the name of the photographer when uploading photos from a group collection. And it's a bit frustrating that those names end up as keywords, although I may be using the same keywords as manual keywords (that is, when the person is in the photo, rather than being the one who took it). I know it's been requested to be an option in to switch on or off and that would be a very useful feature indeed! :)

Otherwise looking forward to the great new version! :D
  • Options
    superdiversuperdiver Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited December 26, 2006
    I would like to see the following....

1)A way for customers to make collages (sp?) of a group of shots

and

2)The ability to make a book similar to the "Ibook" that can be made on an Mac
  • Options
    richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2006
    Re: SmugMug Beta.
    I'm not sure if SmugMug is going to redesign the share page. How about a flyout like the themes button, image info, etc.

119501057-O.jpg

Over at youtube.com they use a single click method to highlight the url, that would be nice over here too. 119501303-O.jpg

The rest of the links on the flyout could open in a new window maybe?

I'm just thinking here....headscratch.gif
    Thanks
  • Options
    jsedlakjsedlak Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2006
    I agree with Rich... that would be really nice!
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2006
    richW wrote:
    Re: SmugMug Beta.
    I'm not sure if SmugMug is going to redesign the share page. How about a flyout like the themes button, image info, etc.

119501057-O.jpg

Over at youtube.com they use a single click method to highlight the url, that would be nice over here too. 119501303-O.jpg

The rest of the links on the flyout could open in a new window maybe?

I'm just thinking here....headscratch.gif
    Thanks
    thumb.gif thanks Rich!
  • Options
    John KeaneJohn Keane Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited December 31, 2006
    Black and White Prints
    I would like to see an option for b&w prints added to the shopping cart. This would be instead of having to upload seperate b&w files.
    Thanks
    Andy wrote:
    Previous thread here.

Older threads here:
    Here are the prior three FR Threads, for reference:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=29858
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=23482
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=1349

Some of the requests:

Add stamps and other cool new products
    Add photobooks, cards, yeah
    Add panorama prints
    Beef up the stats page, make it more friendly and readable
    Add packages for pros
    Add coupons, discounts for pros
    Opt out of SmugMug Search, /browse, etc. but still leave site/photos public
    Improve the move gallery tool
    Right click protection "OFF" for owner
    Specify a default starting gallery style for a gallery
    Improve the Smuggy uploader
    Add SMUGYEARTAKEN to backprinting
    Pro sales summary info - "pending payment" subtotals
    Virtual Galleries and/or smart albums
    Make photo & gallery comments easier to leave / submit
    User-created licenses for Dig Downloads
    Filenames in the shopping cart
    Filename on the "replace photo page"

New Requests in this thread

A directory of SmugMug Pro Sites
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2007
    Just wanted to cast a vote against any more flyouts. I hate flyouts.

/* That's as constructive as I can be on this issue. */
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 3, 2007
    Pupator wrote:
    Just wanted to cast a vote against any more flyouts. I hate flyouts.

/* That's as constructive as I can be on this issue. */
    where would you not put more flyouts?
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    DnaDna Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2007
    Would it be possible to have a quick sort list on the categorie and sub-categorie arrange pages, similar to the galleries arrange page ?

I had my homepage all nicely arranged with the categories in alphabetical order, I uploaded more photos and those categories are now at the top. (lsv.smugmug.com)

Thanks

Andrew
  • Options
    3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2007
    Price list...
    I would LOVE an option in the Gallery Config area to click "View Price List" and have a screen show a nice table of the custom prices...

Item | Price
    4x6 Gloss $3.99
    4x6 Matte $3.99
    4x6 Lustre $4.99

This would be cool to have because I've had several people ask me for print price list and since I maintain it in Smugmug it would be nice to get Smugmug to dump that out for me so I don't have to re-type it :ivar

Scott
  • Options
    3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2007
    Album Create Date
    I'd also love to see the Album Create Date under the album title just like the "private gallery" appears. Just like the private gallery text it would only appear when I'm logged in.

It would be even cooler to show the days in parentheses (if I spelled that right).

Album Title
    12/15/2006 (22)
    private gallery

Anyone want to add or take away from that?
  • Options
    richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    Re: SmugMug Beta
    I would like to be able to elect to use either gallery comments, image comments or both.
    As is it now I’m able to use css to hide either on my SmugMug site, but not on the Beta site.
    Thanks
  • Options
    mdraughnmdraughn Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    More Custom Rendering
    I use smugmug to serve photos to my website, and I really appreciate the custom size rendering, where I can add -450x450 or whatever to get the size. You seem to be caching the images, because they come up very fast.

How about adding other rendering options to the request so the images will fit the style of a page better? This came to mind because I wanted to add drop shadows to separate the photos from the background, and rather than drop-shadowing every image with Photoshop, it would have been nice to request them that way from the smugmug server. With caching for repeat requests, it's hard to believe that simple effects would be much more of a load than render targets.

Other things that might be useful are black-and-white, cropping (which might also image tiling), rotation to an arbitrary angle, and decorative borders. I'm not asking for photoshop actions in the URL (although that would be way cool!), just a few presentation effects.

I eventually abused CSS and HTML to get my drop shadows, but some of those other features would be nice. They might make for some more fancy themes as well.
  • Options
    papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    Buying Prints from keyword search results.
    I would really like to be able to run a keyword search across my entire smugmug site (all galleries) and be able to purchase multiple photos (by individually selecting those I wish to purchase from the search results) without having to access each gallery separately.

Example: All 250 photos with my "Dad" [keyword] in them may be spread across a dozen of my galleries. Wouldn't it be slick if I could do a keyword search for "Dad" and individually select 10, 20, 30 (probably not 250) of the best ones directly from the search results page, order multiple prints, and have them sent to my dad's sister (who does not own a computer)?

Seems like this ought to be "a piece of cake" feature that would get a lot of use.
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2007
    Duplicating Completed or "In Process" Print Orders
    I would like to be able to Duplicate the entire printing order I'm sending to "Aunt Dale", and send another a separate order to "Uncle Bob". It would really be nice if, after duplicating Aunt Dale's order, I could ADD a few photos and DELETE a few photos for Uncle Bob's order.

Since I often want to send the same (or similar) groups of photos to several people, this would save ooodles of time re-searching, re-selecting, re-cropping/re-adjusting, photos I've already searched, selected cropped and adjusted for the first of several orders.
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2007
    papajay wrote:
    I would like to be able to Duplicate the entire printing order I'm sending to "Aunt Dale", and send another a separate order to "Uncle Bob". It would really be nice if, after duplicating Aunt Dale's order, I could ADD a few photos and DELETE a few photos for Uncle Bob's order.

Since I often want to send the same (or similar) groups of photos to several people, this would save ooodles of time re-searching, re-selecting, re-cropping/re-adjusting, photos I've already searched, selected cropped and adjusted for the first of several orders.
    Thanks for the great suggestions, papajay :D

I've made sure that our engineers have seen this.

thumb.gif
  • Options
    dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    papajay wrote:
    I would really like to be able to run a keyword search across my entire smugmug site (all galleries) and be able to purchase multiple photos (by individually selecting those I wish to purchase from the search results) without having to access each gallery separately.

Example: All 250 photos with my "Dad" [keyword] in them may be spread across a dozen of my galleries. Wouldn't it be slick if I could do a keyword search for "Dad" and individually select 10, 20, 30 (probably not 250) of the best ones directly from the search results page, order multiple prints, and have them sent to my dad's sister (who does not own a computer)?

Seems like this ought to be "a piece of cake" feature that would get a lot of use.

It does work this way... have you tried it? I know this feature would be good for "bulk keyword update" but from what I can tell, the "buy multiple photos" displays all the pics from the keyword search, not just a single gallery.
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2007
    Does NOT seem to work that way for me
    dmc wrote:
    It does work this way... have you tried it? I know this feature would be good for "bulk keyword update" but from what I can tell, the "buy multiple photos" displays all the pics from the keyword search, not just a single gallery.

Thanks, but unless I'm doing something wrong (I don't think so) there's no "buy this photo" or "buy multile photos" link on the keyword search results page when logged into my own smugmug site. If I select one of the photos from the search results, the specific gallery where that particular photo resides opens immediately, afterwhich the "Buy Single/Multiple Photos" appears.

After adding a selection of photo(s) from that first gallery to my shopping cart, I have to re-run the keyword search multiple times to access the other galleries where photos of interest lurk....and it's a slow, laborious process, especially when I'm being "selective" enough to pick the important "few" from the less-interesting "many" photos found by the keyword search across multiple galleries.
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2007
    using smugmug small style?
    papajay wrote:
    Thanks, but unless I'm doing something wrong (I don't think so) there's no "buy this photo" or "buy multile photos" link on the keyword search results page when logged into my own smugmug site..
    I think I figured it out.... I just noticed that there is no buy "multiple photos" button on smugmug small style! switch to regular smugmug style (or any other style), it is there.... it does work the way you want, I just triple checked.
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2007
    Well, "Partly"
    dmc wrote:
    I think I figured it out.... I just noticed that there is no buy "multiple photos" button on smugmug small style! switch to regular smugmug style (or any other style), it is there.... it does work the way you want, I just triple checked.

Thanks dmc...
    I "force" most of my galleries to JOURNAL style, where Buy Single/Multiple links do, in fact, appear. (I did what you did, just to be sure...triple checked...and noticed what you did regarding Smugmug Small).

But you're still missing a key point, I believe. My request has to do with keywording searching across my ENTIRE SITE (all galleries), NOT just within ONE gallery at a time. If you follow my original example (search for "Dad") you'll see what I mean.

There is NO "buy single" or "buy multiple" on a keyword search result page (that I can find).

papajay
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2007
    papajay wrote:
    Thanks dmc...
    I "force" most of my galleries to JOURNAL style, where Buy Single/Multiple links do, in fact, appear. (I did what you did, just to be sure...triple checked...and noticed what you did regarding Smugmug Small).

But you're still missing a key point, I believe. My request has to do with keywording searching across my ENTIRE SITE (all galleries), NOT just within ONE gallery at a time. If you follow my original example (search for "Dad") you'll see what I mean.

There is NO "buy single" or "buy multiple" on a keyword search result page (that I can find).

papajay
    I totally understand your point... I definately have buy "multiple photos" on my keyword results page... I don't know why you don't.... do you have customiztion code that may be hiding it?? Here is what I see: This example has 8 photos from several different galleries.... when I hit buy multiple, I see all 8 in the "chooser".
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2007
    when I hit buy multiple, I have all 8 (from multiple galleries) to choose from....
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2007
    That's a "Bingo", dmc!
    dmc wrote:
    I totally understand your point... I definately have buy "multiple photos" on my keyword results page... I don't know why you don't.... do you have customiztion code that may be hiding it.... Here is what I see: This example has 8 photos from several different galleries.... when I hit buy multiple, I see all 8 in my cart.

Yes, I used the customization code (provided by someone from smugmug or dgrin) to not display my keywords (long story, but you may recall I'm one who's faught hard for keyword functionality, but with a level of privacy...so I "code" my keywords to keep them unique).

So, have I done myself in using this approach? It would appear so. When I do a keyword search within my own site, I get the search results (photos matching the keyword criteria), but I don't get the handy little + this + that -these - them table, AND I do not get the Buy Single/Multiple link.

Arghh!!!....wishing life could be simpler! I DO one thing to achieve a specific objective, and I end up UNDOING something else (that I wanted to keep).

Looks like I'l have to "unhide" my "unique" keywords (not something I really WANT to do). Choices, Decisions, Compromises...yuk!

Thanks for de-mystifying it.
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2007
    Hmmm... an update
    papajay wrote:
    Yes, I used the customization code (provided by someone from smugmug or dgrin) to not display my keywords ....

Looks like I'l have to "unhide" my "unique" keywords (not something I really WANT to do). Choices, Decisions, Compromises...yuk!

Thanks for de-mystifying it.

dmc....one thing is certain---there is always more to learn. I just discovered there's more than one way to conduct a keyword search! What I've described up to this point involved entering my search criteria (keywords) in the SEARCH box at the top of the page, and hitting the little magnifying glass.

But, if I enter a URL address using the smugmug_nickname/keyword/Keyword1-keyword2-Keyword3 format (even with my site set to "hide" keywords by using the customization script), I get the full monty as you described....search results across multiple galleries, keyword +++---lists, AND the BUY SINGLE/MULTIPLE link.

I cautiously proclaim....problem solved (pilot error). Thanks.
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2007
    papajay wrote:
    I cautiously proclaim....problem solved (pilot error). Thanks.

thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2007
    One Thing almost always leads to another....
    dmc wrote:
    thumb.gif
    Alright, now that THAT one is "solved"...when using a nickname/keyword/Keyword1...etc URL address, the search results show up to 5 "related" keywords, and upt to 5 "combine with" possibilities, and up to 5 "remove" possibilities.
    How about adding a "...want to see more?" (as in "the NEXT 5") link just to the right of the 5th entry so one could "scroll" through, repeatedly if necessary, to see all the "related" keywords associated with the criteria specified in the original search?
    Same suggestion for the "Combine With" list.

I ask this because the very first "experiment" (keyword search) I performed did NOT show a keyword "related" to my search that I KNEW existed. At first I did not know why my KNOWN keyword was not showing until I figured out that only a maximum of 5 "related" keywords are displayed.
This discussion has been closed.