SmugMug Feature Requests #3

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2007
    Allen wrote:
    Maybe next to each browse box is a drop box. My point was replacing a
    bunch and all processing in one batch. A drop box would allow you to drag
    from your other window any file no mater what the file name is.
    Getting closer?
    Al
    I agree. Batch processing is a step in the right direction versus uploading one at a time. Drag/drop support is a step in the right direction versus picking them from scratch one at a time. These would both require building new UI and new uploaders to do this. Smugmug could certainly do this. I was trying to find a way that allow existing uploaders (since there are now lots of them) and existing UIs to work without much change at all.

In that vein, I was exploring a shortcut that would make all existing uploaders work (including my favorite one, StarExplorer) without full redesign. This would let me just re-upload image to a gallery in the exact same way that I originally upload them, but put the uploader in a "replace" mode so any images that are identical to something already in the gallery does a replace, rather than an add. The "identicality" could be determined either by filename or by EXIF info. When Smugmug determined that an upload was in "replace mode" and an image coming in was found to be the same root as one already in the gallery, it would trigger it's own logic for replace photo just like the Replace Photo page does today.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2007
    Maybe Devbobo can add the feature to SmugBrowser to drag a replacement
    image onto the thumbnail and replace it.
    AL
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 17, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    My point was that if you "wanted" to replace a file on Smugmug, you could much more easily make the filename match than you can use the existing Replace Photo option. How else is Smugmug going to know how to do bulk replace if you don't make some aspect of the photo match exactly what you want to replace?

And, in my case, since Picasa exports the picture without changing it's filename from the original (which it keeps and never touches), I wouldn't have the problem at all -- though I understand the other poster's point, and that is how I did it myself before I switched to Picasa.
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2007
    Allen wrote:
    Maybe Devbobo can add the feature to SmugBrowser to drag a replacement image onto the thumbnail and replace it.

If I understand all the pieces correctly, the answer is "no, the API doesn't expose the necessary function to make 3rd party uploaders work that way."

Confirm or deny, Smuggers?
  • Options
    FuzzytekFuzzytek Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited January 17, 2007
    PLEASE not a single multi-threaded thread
    imageinc wrote:
    I suspect this would make it much easier for people to see if the thing they want to suggest already has been suggested, and what progress is being made.

I didn't notice whether Jot's bugtracker is optimized for feeches or not.

I agree with this I can't conceive how this thread is organized. New posts as replies are often off topic of the original. Not sure how to make sense of this multi-threaded thread of a discussion. rolleyes1.gif If this is how it will be then I'll deal with it.

I do need to get in on Jot / Wiki and see what is in there. One more resource for information ~sigh~, no such thing as one stop shopping for information.
    Stephen Boyle - Fuzzytek Photography, LLC
    Capturing and creating fashion, film, festivals around Detroit
    Wordpress-ed Fuzzytek
  • Options
    taylowataylowa Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited January 17, 2007
    Added Features
    I would like to see a coupon/discount option added to smugmug. Also, I would like to see a feature that the customer could change to sepia or black&white at checkout, instead of the owner having to upload multiple pictures.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2007
    taylowa wrote:
    I would like to see a coupon/discount option added to smugmug. Also, I would like to see a feature that the customer could change to sepia or black&white at checkout, instead of the owner having to upload multiple pictures.
    wave.gif and welcome. Thanks for the feature requests!
  • Options
    DanHonemannDanHonemann Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    I second the Mpix suggestion
    perrotta wrote:
    - Ability to print to MPIX (the best service out there, IMHO)
    I'd like to second this suggestion. For professional level prints, Mpix is a league above EZ Prints. It would be great if users had a choice between the two (as zenfolio has just implemented).

Dan
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    When adding a comment to a gallery that has comment approval turned on:

it would be great if the commenter got some kind of feedback, letting them know that the comment was received and that it's pending approval.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    When adding a comment to a gallery that has comment approval turned on:

it would be great if the commenter got some kind of feedback, letting them know that the comment was received and that it's pending approval.
    Have you tried it on Beta? ear.gif
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    Uh, no, actually. I haven't. Should I? ear.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    I would love some way to get XML dump from SM on my products/prices for a particular gallery.

Then I could take the XML and format it into something nice and purdy on my website for my customers to see my prices.

This way it will be all dynamic and I won't have to worry about keeping all this info in several place. mwink.gif

Scott
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2007
    When using certain <PHOTO TOOLS> in the drop down box, it would be nice to see some kind of notice on some of th items....

Example: <Make 2nd Copy>

When this item is selected it appears to do nothing. If I wait then the screen will refresh and everything will work properly. The time between the selection and the screen refresh is sometimes long. I would like to see some "Please Wait" indication or something.

Here is my example image:

124123964-L.jpg
  • Options
    DanielDDanielD Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited January 21, 2007
    Image scaling in slide show
    Hello, I usually don't upload my pics at full size (usually 800 or 900 px) and usually use some sharpening to compensate for softness of bicubic resizing, to get the best display at uploaded (orignal) image size.

Therefore I find it a bit annoying that there's no way to prevent the slide show feature from upscaling my images, introducing softness due from the fact that the images were upscaled, as well as from the scaling itself.

It would very much appreciate if there would be a checkbox in the slide show that disable upscaling the images, but would only downscale them if necessary. Would be even more happy, if that setting could be preset in the gallery settings. :D

Thanks,
    Daniel
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2007
    DanielD wrote:
    Hello, I usually don't upload my pics at full size (usually 800 or 900 px) and usually use some sharpening to compensate for softness of bicubic resizing, to get the best display at uploaded (orignal) image size.

Therefore I find it a bit annoying that there's no way to prevent the slide show feature from upscaling my images, introducing softness due from the fact that the images were upscaled, as well as from the scaling itself.

It would very much appreciate if there would be a checkbox in the slide show that disable upscaling the images, but would only downscale them if necessary. Would be even more happy, if that setting could be preset in the gallery settings. :D

Thanks,
    Daniel
    Hi Daniel, if your pics are 800 or 900px, the best thing to do is to probably just use the gallery-style slideshow, that uses 800px images (size large). You don't list your site, but if you are power or pro user, you can disable the play slideshow button...
  • Options
    DanielDDanielD Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited January 21, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Daniel, if your pics are 800 or 900px, the best thing to do is to probably just use the gallery-style slideshow, that uses 800px images (size large). You don't list your site, but if you are power or pro user, you can disable the play slideshow button...

Thanks for that tip.
    Unfortunately, as I'm a standard user, I cannot disable the slideshow button. I watched my family and friends who are not familiar with smugmug watching my images and what they come across first is the slideshow button.
    Mostly they don't even notice that style option at all and are watching my images in sub-optimal rendering (which maybe annoys me more than them).

I'll try to show them the alternative in the hope that they can remeber it the next time.

Thanks,
    Daniel
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2007
    In this thread (http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=52215) I posted the following. Upon reflection, this looks more like a feature request than an SmugMug interface issue. So, I'm posting it here as well.

Might I also suggest that there be some sort of shopping status indicator on the page at all times that indicates the number of photos in the shopping cart.
  • Options
    mmousemmouse Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited January 23, 2007
    Sharing request
    clap.gif I love, love, love the new e-mail sharing feature, but I have two (hopefully minimal and easy-to-implement) requests:

- Could you also make it possible to send an email that links to a the start of a chosen gallery or sharegroup, rather than just to the clicked photo? This would be fantastic, as I often email friends links to private sharegroups, and would love to do it with a lovely photo in the email.

- Is it possible to modify the email that is sent to, for instance, add our own custom logo or link at the bottom, if we have customized our site?

Thanks so much! I'm really diggin' the new features! :D
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2007
    On reflection, I guess I should also cross-post a pointer to My Picasa Thread which culminates in a Feech, since presumably Andy et al subscribe to this thread, and not necessarily others.

XML/sequencing/import; see the last post.
  • Options
    kwalshkwalsh Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2007
    Bulk Gallery Settings less "Bulky"
    Right now when I what to change gallery settings in Bulk I see *all* my galleries in an order I just don't understand. Usually I'm trying to change the settings for all the galleries in a category or sub-category. I simply can't use the Bulk gallery settings as they are now because it is ridiculous to look through that many galleries just to change everything in a category to match.

Of course it is also possible there is some clever way to do this already and I'm just clueless about it :).

Ken
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 23, 2007
    Hi Ken,

You might want to try out my firefox extension, it allows you to apply bulk settings at the account/category or sub-category level iterating the selects gallery options into each gallery.

Holler if u have any questions.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    oddstuffoddstuff Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited January 23, 2007
    Additional Login Feature
    Can Smugmug implement a pop-up keypad login screen (in addition to current password type in) for user to click a PIN to gain entry?

With so many tons of photos in Smugmug, we cannot take the risk of losing passwords to spywares like keyloggers. I'm sure everyone do not mind a little bit of inconvenience, for the safety of memories.

I have witnessed two cases of stolen IDs and passwords on my friends' online photo gallery.

If I can benefit anyone on detecting spyware, here is the link: http://www.spywareinfo.com/xscan.php <-- reliable and trustworthy.

Anicca - the Theory of Impermanence: camera changes, photos stay (in Smugmug).
    About me - one of the the junior siblings in Dgrin family (DOB May 2006).
  • Options
    founders2founders2 Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited January 24, 2007
    Settings for Pros when logged in
    I've asked before but not on this forum. I sometimes include thumbnails when I'm sending a resume or otherwise soliciting business. None of my galleries are marked to share. Can't I now have the share button available when I log in? and not when others view my site? Really I'd like to have all options available when I log in. Having to go customize the gallery, perform the operation and then customize it back is quite unwieldy.
  • Options
    richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    founders2 wrote:
    I've asked before but not on this forum. I sometimes include thumbnails when I'm sending a resume or otherwise soliciting business. None of my galleries are marked to share. Can't I now have the share button available when I log in? and not when others view my site? Really I'd like to have all options available when I log in. Having to go customize the gallery, perform the operation and then customize it back is quite unwieldy.
    Will this work for you?
    Enable sharing then add this to your css:
    .share_button {display: none;}
    .loggedIn .share_button {display: block;}
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2007
    I would love to see a Sales Summary page listing out the dates that checks were mailed. It's hard to gather that info from the sales download. headscratch.gif

Smugmug = bowdown.gif
  • Options
    pmalandpmaland Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    Could we get SM.PhotoBar.config.position = 'left'; ?
    case 'left':
      YD.setStyle(photoBarBg.childNodes[1], 'height', photoBarContent.offsetHeight - photoBarBg.childNodes[0].offsetHeight + 'px');
      YD.setStyle(photoBarBg, 'height', YD.getStyle(photoBarBg.childNodes[1], 'height'));
      YD.setXY(photoBarBg, [hoverRegion.[COLOR=lime]left[/COLOR], hoverRegion.top]);
      YD.setXY(photoBarContent, [hoverRegion.[COLOR=lime]left[/COLOR] - photoBarContent.offsetWidth, hoverRegion.top]);
      var attr = {'left': {'by': -97}, 'width': {'to': 96}};
      break;

This would totally rock. With this, you could even put some kind of small visual indicator that the slideout exists, possibly a thin bar next to the picture with a tiny < that shows where the photobar will appear from.

125234137-M.jpg

Thanks!

- Phil
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2007
    I would love to see a Sales Summary page listing out the dates that checks were mailed. It's hard to gather that info from the sales download. headscratch.gif

Smugmug = bowdown.gif
    Noted. But remember, checks are mailed out by the 8th of each month.
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2007
    pmaland wrote:
    case 'left':
      YD.setStyle(photoBarBg.childNodes[1], 'height', photoBarContent.offsetHeight - photoBarBg.childNodes[0].offsetHeight + 'px');
      YD.setStyle(photoBarBg, 'height', YD.getStyle(photoBarBg.childNodes[1], 'height'));
      YD.setXY(photoBarBg, [hoverRegion.[COLOR=lime]left[/COLOR], hoverRegion.top]);
      YD.setXY(photoBarContent, [hoverRegion.[COLOR=lime]left[/COLOR] - photoBarContent.offsetWidth, hoverRegion.top]);
      var attr = {'left': {'by': -97}, 'width': {'to': 96}};
      break;

This would totally rock. With this, you could even put some kind of small visual indicator that the slideout exists, possibly a thin bar next to the picture with a tiny < that shows where the photobar will appear from.

125234137-M.jpg

Thanks!

- Phil
    Hi Phil - it very well could happen, give us some time to catch up on sleep, eat, breathe etc :)

As of now, the options are right (default) or bottom.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    jscolesjscoles Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    Category-level passwords
    I just started using smugmug this week, and am loving it. I admit I was disappointed when I learned that keywords do not work with private galleries. I read the long thread about this; I'm now trying to find a better way to set up my photos. You can, however, add me to the list of people that would love it if keywords worked for private galleries. :D

Keywords aside, I'd like an easy way to separate photos of family and friends from those I want the whole world to see. I have a lot of photos to upload, and it seems like it will be really clumsy to make all my family galleries password-protected individually.

What I think would be really useful is to have a password set at the category level. I would simply have all galleries I wanted protected as members of the 'family' category. This way, similar to the account-level password, friends and family would just click on that category, be prompted for a password, and have full access.

I can see this getting complicated with multiple categories and multiple passwords, but I thought I'd throw the idea out there.
  • Options
    pmalandpmaland Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Phil - it very well could happen, give us some time to catch up on sleep, eat, breathe etc :)

As of now, the options are right (default) or bottom.
    Thanks.

I tried bottom, but if the photobar pops up off-screen, there's no way to know that it appeared, which is probably one reason it's not default. But, I did notice that "below" appears below the picture, not over the top of it, which is exactly what I want.

- Phil
This discussion has been closed.