Options

Photography Workshop--Shoot Wild Utah with Marc Muench!

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Only 4 spots left!
    Tick, tick, tick...
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2007
    Hooray!

I suppose I should start thinking about booking my flight.... mwink.gif
  • Options
    henrytdhenrytd Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited February 27, 2007
    Flights into Montrose County Airport?
    schmooo wrote:
    Hooray! I suppose I should start thinking about booking my flight.... mwink.gif

Yes, Hooray! :ivar Ziggy brought this workshop to my attention, and I'm very excited to be "number 6" to sign up. It's going to be a blast, I'm sure. And it'll be a pleasure to not have to be the only one getting up early or leaving a communal meal to catch the best light.

Question: will others be flying into Montrose County Airport, about an hour Southeast of Grand Junction? I see that the cost of airline ticket, RT from Philadelphia, is almost $200 less expensive. Does anyone know if Doubletree meets guests at that airport, or if other limo's are available?

Skip
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2007
    henrytd wrote:
    Question: will others be flying into Montrose County Airport, about an hour Southeast of Grand Junction? I see that the cost of airline ticket, RT from Philadelphia, is almost $200 less expensive. Does anyone know if Doubletree meets guests at that airport, or if other limo's are available?

Skip
    I had been planning on flying into Walker Field. The hotel website says they have a complimentary shuttle from that airport, but I see no evidence of them doing the same for any others. I suppose if you're looking to save the $200, you'd have to find another way to avoid giving it to a cab company. :D
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2007
    Directly to Grand Junction
    schmooo wrote:
    I had been planning on flying into Walker Field. The hotel website says they have a complimentary shuttle from that airport, but I see no evidence of them doing the same for any others. I suppose if you're looking to save the $200, you'd have to find another way to avoid giving it to a cab company. :D
    After more thought, flying directly to Grand Junction makes more sense, since there are so many more daily flights between Denver and Walker Field than go to Montrose (12 vs. 5). Greater assurance of getting to Grand Junction in time is worth some extra bucks.

Skip
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2007
    bump.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2007
    dkoyanagi wrote:
    I'm in!

clap.gif

Now pay up! umph.gif

:D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2007
    OK, folks, we're up to 7 attendees, leaving only 3 spots.

Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    clap.gif

Now pay up! umph.gif

Done! wings.gif

BTW, my current lenses are 16-35 f/2.8 and 24-105 f/4.0. I need something at the long end (the workshop website says 200mm). Can anyone recommend a lens that won't break the bank? I'm thinking either the 70-200 f/4.0 (non-IS) or 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS. They're roughly the same price at B&H. What about a 2x extender for my 105? Will that work as well?
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2007
    dkoyanagi wrote:
    Done! wings.gif

BTW, my current lenses are 16-35 f/2.8 and 24-105 f/4.0. I need something at the long end (the workshop website says 200mm). Can anyone recommend a lens that won't break the bank? I'm thinking either the 70-200 f/4.0 (non-IS) or 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS. They're roughly the same price at B&H. What about a 2x extender for my 105? Will that work as well?

The 70-200f4 is L glass, my friend....
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2007
    Good Move!
    dkoyanagi wrote:
    I'm in!
    Dan:

I look forward to meeting you.

I loved this picture at your site:

http://dkoyanagi.smugmug.com/popular/6/7224524#7224524-L-LB

Skip
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2007
    henrytd wrote:
    Dan:

I look forward to meeting you.

I loved this picture at your site:

http://dkoyanagi.smugmug.com/popular/6/7224524#7224524-L-LB

Skip
    Thanks Skip. Likewise.

Believe it or not, that's the view from my apartment balcony.
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2007
    dkoyanagi wrote:
    Thanks Skip. Likewise.

Believe it or not, that's the view from my apartment balcony.
    Wow, what a view to wake up to.

Regarding your lens question, I like my 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 DO IS primairly because in addition to great quality it is only 3.9" long (compared to 6.8"), so it's much less conspicuous. It's a bit lighter (720g vs. 760g). It's longer reach is another reason I enjoy it. But as DavidTO points out, the 70-200 f/4L IS has the L quality. In my case, I also have the 200 f/2.8L II fixed focal length lens that I use with low light where lens speed is important, or for portraits where I want the narrow depth of field. I'll probably bring both.

My question re equipment for this trip is what tripod would be best. I've got one that's too flimsy, and another that weighs a ton.

Skip
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    dkoyanagi wrote:
    Done! wings.gif

Welcome Dan

The 70-200 F 4 is a great lens and it is smaller than the F 2.8 version. I don't know how rough you are with your equipment but just in case you are like me, I would opt for the stronger equipment which would mean the 70-200 over the 70-300. For this particular trip we will be using the tripods more than not and therefor the image stabilizer is not required.

thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2007
    henrytd wrote:
    Wow, what a view to wake up to.

Regarding your lens question, I like my 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 DO IS primairly because in addition to great quality it is only 3.9" long (compared to 6.8"), so it's much less conspicuous. It's a bit lighter (720g vs. 760g). It's longer reach is another reason I enjoy it. But as DavidTO points out, the 70-200 f/4L IS has the L quality. In my case, I also have the 200 f/2.8L II fixed focal length lens that I use with low light where lens speed is important, or for portraits where I want the narrow depth of field. I'll probably bring both.

My question re equipment for this trip is what tripod would be best. I've got one that's too flimsy, and another that weighs a ton.

Skip

Welcome Skip

You have a valid point about the 70-300 lens and therefor Dan if you are reading this it really comes down to what else you plan on doing with the lens. Regarding the tripod issue, I use the Slik for the weight and price you can't beat it.

http://www.thkphoto.com/products/slik/slik-cfs4.html

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    Welcome Dan

The 70-200 F 4 is a great lens and it is smaller than the F 2.8 version. I don't know how rough you are with your equipment but just in case you are like me, I would opt for the stronger equipment which would mean the 70-200 over the 70-300. For this particular trip we will be using the tripods more than not and therefor the image stabilizer is not required.

thumb.gif
    I can highly recommend the 70-200 over the 70-300 DO. Image quality is superior.
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2007
    Images
    For all those joining me in Utah,:D it is time to start thinking about images you want to bring along for the critiques.
    critique |kriˈtēk| noun a detailed analysis and assessment of something, esp. a literary, philosophical, or political theory.
    You understand!

Since we will be working in the field every day I will be using most of the critique time with new images but I always like to see where you have been and what experience and style you bring with you.

If you have images you have worked on in Photoshop I suggest bringing the raw files also. If you do not wish to discuss photoshop and only the creative aspects that is fine as well just let me know at that time. Please bring your digital files on a camera card or CD for ease of use or bring prints up to 8 x 10 size only. I would recommend bringing at least 10 images.:photo
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2007
    Since we will be working in the field every day I will be using most of the critique time with new images but I always like to see where you have been and what experience and style you bring with you.
    Should these just be landscapes, or a representative sample of our photos?
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2007
    Yay homework!

I second the question above. I have relatively little experience with landscapes, hence my eagerness to attend this shootout. But I may be able to scrape up 10. :D
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2007
    type of image
    Bring representative images of what you have shot thus far.
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2007
    schmooo wrote:
    Yay homework!

I second the question above. I have relatively little experience with landscapes, hence my eagerness to attend this shootout. But I may be able to scrape up 10. :D

I took a peak at your smug galleries and you definitely have 10thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2007
    Sigma
    If anyone is like me and has always wanted a professional quality wide-angle point and shoot that can be thrown in a small bag, looks like it is finally here!

Sigma DP1 has the specs to be a three thumbs up vote by methumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

I just posted this here as it would be a perfect addition to the equip bag on a trip like Utah.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited March 22, 2007
    I just posted this here as it would be a perfect addition to the equip bag on a trip like Utah.

So you've got one? Any sample images?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    So you've got one? Any sample images?
    My premature opinion is based on this info

http://sigma-dp1.com/

I did place an order in but have no eta as of today!

BTW Ian, I received your paper work and have come to the conclusion you will not be allowed to gorolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

Take over the coffee table book market?

Ok Ok we will still accept you so long as you donate all the proceeds of your new venture to my childrens college fundrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    If anyone is like me and has always wanted a professional quality wide-angle point and shoot that can be thrown in a small bag, looks like it is finally here!

Sigma DP1 has the specs to be a three thumbs up vote by methumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

Verrrry interesting. Thanks!

Took me a second to realize the lens is fixed, not zoom. 11doh.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited March 24, 2007
    Marc,

Did they quote you a price for the DP1? Or a date for availability? Is is going to be priced like the Epson RD1? ( I hope not!!)

A real Foveon sensor based P&S with a lens to match its capabilities.

I agree that this is a very interesting camera. I wonder if one with a modest zoom lens will be showing up soon also?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited March 24, 2007

Ok Ok we will still accept you so long as you donate all the proceeds of your new venture to my childrens college fundrolleyes1.gif

Hey, I've already propped up El Cap for you rolleyes1.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Marc,

Did they quote you a price for the DP1? Or a date for availability? Is is going to be priced like the Epson RD1? ( I hope not!!)

A real Foveon sensor based P&S with a lens to match its capabilities.

I agree that this is a very interesting camera. I wonder if one with a modest zoom lens will be showing up soon also?

I have not received a price nore date. I am guessin around $1000. I believe the prime 28mm will be it considering how long Sigma takes.

I will let you know when I find out.
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2007
    We're getting close to the start of this workshop, and we still have a few spots left. Here's what you get:

1) Expert professional guidance from Marc Muench and Andy Williams. Nearly private instruction.

2) Back country guides will take us to just the right spots....and set us loose on the landscape while they prepare dinner for us....dinner under the stars. We'll be doing some night shooting as well, lighting up the petroglyphs with flashlights, perhaps, while shooting star trails.

3) All lodging, food and transportation from the starting point in Grand Junction, CO. You get there, and everything is included from that point on.

4) Signed print by Marc Muench as a momento of the trip. This will be one of the shots he takes on this trip.

5) You will come out of this trip with a deeper understanding of landscape photography, and photo processing, along with some fantastic new shots to add to your portfolio.

6) Simply put: we're going to have a great time, riding the back roads of Utah, finding magnificent scenery to capture in our cameras. Maybe some beers under the stars, even.

If you're interested, check out the information in the first post of this thread.
    Moderator Emeritus