Options

Photography Workshop--Shoot Wild Utah with Marc Muench!

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited May 12, 2007
    I'd suggest a remote/cable release.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2007
    slflash wrote:
    Is anyone taking a cable release? Do we need to stock up on water as well, the temps are going to be in the mid to upper 80's? Just thinking ahead.

Water will be provided. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited May 12, 2007
    Never go into the desert without more water than you think you'll need.

I'm sure Marc and the outfitters are on top of this.

But I will still carry a water bottle or two, nonetheless.

A cable release or a wireless remote are de riguerthumb.gif

But if you do not have one, then you can use the self timer release on the camera - I frequently do this for landscpapes.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Never go into the desert without more water than you think you'll need.

I'm sure Marc and the outfitters are on top of this.

But I will still carry a water bottle or two, nonetheless.

A cable release or a wireless remote are de riguerthumb.gif

Where is the trust? :D

We'll have bottles of water, plenty. If you want your water in something other than a store-bought bottle, then bring whatever water carrier you want. Other than that, we've got it covered. deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Where is the trust? :D

We'll have bottles of water, plenty. If you want your water in something other than a store-bought bottle, then bring whatever water carrier you want. Other than that, we've got it covered. deal.gif

What about "I'm sure Marc and the outfitters have this covered" did you not understand??:D :D:D

• Options
    slflashslflash Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    What about "I'm sure Marc and the outfitters have this covered" did you not understand??:D :D:D

I assumed that there would be water, but I also know what happens when you assume! Just the Boy Scout leader training that is kicking in! mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2007
    slflash wrote:
    I assumed that there would be water, but I also know what happens when you assume! Just the Boy Scout leader training that is kicking in! mwink.gif

:D

Glad to know we've got an expert on how to make sure a bunch of fools out in the wilderness don't get themselves into TOO much trouble! :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    :D

Glad to know we've got an expert on how to make sure a bunch of fools out in the wilderness don't get themselves into TOO much trouble! :D

I wouldn't say expert, I probably know enough to get us all in more trouble!rolleyes1.gifrofl
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2007
    If you don't already have a remote one of these will come in handy depending on which camera you have.

Canon

http://www.usa.canon.com/html/cameras_slr/eos3acc.html

Nikon

http://nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=56&productNr=4645

The main requirement is that you can trigger the shutter for hours on end!

(HealthDay News) -- It's important to drink plenty of water when you're playing sports, exercising, or performing virtually any activity that causes you to sweat and lose bodily fluids.

I think landscape photography falls into this category:ivarso we will have plenty of waterdeal.gif
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2007
    I've been packing!!!! :D

I also bought myself a little P&S Canon so I can take snapshots of our journey.

Excited! :ivar
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    henrytdhenrytd Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited May 13, 2007
    Getting Ready
    DavidTO wrote:
    I also bought myself a little P&S Canon so I can take snapshots of our journey. Excited! :ivar
    I too will be using my G7 to document what we do. I'm now in the habit of keeping it with me all the time, just in case. Some wonderful pictures result.

Skip
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2007
    (HealthDay News) -- It's important to drink plenty of water when you're playing sports, exercising, or performing virtually any activity that causes you to sweat and lose bodily fluids.

I think landscape photography falls into this category:ivarso we will have plenty of waterdeal.gif[/quote]

eek7.gif What about Bathrooms? 1drink.gifDrinking Water + Time = UHHH OHHH Gotta Go!!!!!!:wow
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:

I also bought myself a little P&S Canon so I can take snapshots of our journey.

Excited! :ivar

My little P/S will be with me in it's hot pink case as well. It is an accessory in my purse/ top of the camera bag at all times. Four more days!clap.gif

Very Excited!
  • Options
    Fred WFred W Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2007
    Just about Packed
    This is the first time I'm flying with my dslr and all its glass. I couldn't get near the amount of equipment I want to bring as carry-on luggage in my Canon backpack. I thought I could load up my larger Crumpler backpack but it just wasn't working out. In addition, I was starting to get concerned about lugging around all that weight on my back through the parking lots airports, and hotels. I did some checking on requirements the airlines have for carry-on luggage size/weight limits. I also found one of the threads that Ian wrote about traveling with gear, http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=58537. I ended up ordering the Think Tank "Airport Security" carry-on bag with rollers :D . It meets the size limit for most domestic flights for carry-on, and I am able to fill it with my dslr, backup p/s, 7 lenses including my 70-200mm, and 400mm. I even was able to breakdown my gitzo 1258 tripod and accessories and fit them in the bag. The quality of this bag is outstanding in every way. Now I just have to worry about the little stuff like clothing, backback, etc to fit in the duffel bag.

This is going to be a great workshop. I wish everyone going has a safe and problem free trip. I am really looking forward to meeting you all, getting some great instruction, and shooting a whole bunch of memorable photos.:ivar wings.gif :ivar
  • Options
    philiphutsonphiliphutson Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2007
    Fred W wrote:
    This is the first time I'm flying with my dslr and all its glass. I couldn't get near the amount of equipment I want to bring as carry-on luggage in my Canon backpack. I thought I could load up my larger Crumpler backpack but it just wasn't working out. In addition, I was starting to get concerned about lugging around all that weight on my back through the parking lots airports, and hotels. I did some checking on requirements the airlines have for carry-on luggage size/weight limits. I also found one of the threads that Ian wrote about traveling with gear, http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=58537. I ended up ordering the Think Tank "Airport Security" carry-on bag with rollers :D . It meets the size limit for most domestic flights for carry-on, and I am able to fill it with my dslr, backup p/s, 7 lenses including my 70-200mm, and 400mm. I even was able to breakdown my gitzo 1258 tripod and accessories and fit them in the bag. The quality of this bag is outstanding in every way. Now I just have to worry about the little stuff like clothing, backback, etc to fit in the duffel bag.

This is going to be a great workshop. I wish everyone going has a safe and problem free trip. I am really looking forward to meeting you all, getting some great instruction, and shooting a whole bunch of memorable photos.:ivar wings.gif :ivar
    The turbo props and canadian regional jets do not have the overhead space for a standard carry on. The bag you just bought will not go overhead in the the above mentioned planes (every flight I'm on I have at least one turbo prop). For my camera gear, not including tripod, I will have two backpacks. One regular target backpack and one camera backpack. I do not gate check any camera gear or laptop. I had one laptop destroyed in a carry on that was gate checked (Gate Checking is where you leave the back at the bottom of the steps going into the plane). The laptop was buried and they still managed to break the screen. The tripod will go in the bottom of my checked luggage on the inside along the center support rail.
    -Philip
    If you want to see paradise simply look around and see it.
    -Willy Wonka
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2007
    The turbo props and canadian regional jets do not have the overhead space for a standard carry on. The bag you just bought will not go overhead in the the above mentioned planes (every flight I'm on I have at least one turbo prop). For my camera gear, not including tripod, I will have two backpacks. One regular target backpack and one camera backpack. I do not gate check any camera gear or laptop. I had one laptop destroyed in a carry on that was gate checked (Gate Checking is where you leave the back at the bottom of the steps going into the plane). The laptop was buried and they still managed to break the screen. The tripod will go in the bottom of my checked luggage on the inside along the center support rail.
    -Philip

I don't like to let my camera get out of sight. I am persistant and it fits right under my feet. It is usually my only carry on, so I usually (knock on wood) have any problems. I am removing my ball head from the tripod and carrying it too. Man, that backpack is going to be a little more heavy! Oh well, there is always time for rest later. I will just pre-medicate with Aleve before flights! ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2007
    -Philip

Hi Philip,

Thanks for the info about smaller turbo prop planes. I will be transfering to a United Airlines Express plane which appears to be a large turbo prop job once each way. I just called United Airlines and asked whether I can carry-on a 9"X14"X22" bag. They said that is acceptable for all my registered flights. I hope that is the same story when it's check-in time.
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2007
    Fred W wrote:
    Hi Philip,

Thanks for the info about smaller turbo prop planes. I will be transfering to a United Airlines Express plane which appears to be a large turbo prop job once each way. I just called United Airlines and asked whether I can carry-on a 9"X14"X22" bag. They said that is acceptable for all my registered flights. I hope that is the same story when it's check-in time.
    There is no large turbo prop. Check your itinerary if you see a
    EM2, EMB 120, CRJ or CRJ 200 then the biggest you can actually put over head or under the seat infront of you is back pack size. If you are flying from Denver to Grand Junction you will be on either a EMB 120 or a Canadian Regional Jet.
    When they say that is a legal carry on what they mean is that you gate check it and then when you land as soon as you get off the plane it is waiting next to the stairs so there is almost not chance of it getting lost unlike normal luggage where it goes to baggage claim.
    -Philip
    -Willy Wonka
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2007
    There is no large turbo prop. Check your itinerary if you see a
    EM2, EMB 120, CRJ or CRJ 200 then the biggest you can actually put over head or under the seat infront of you is back pack size. If you are flying from Denver to Grand Junction you will be on either a EMB 120 or a Canadian Regional Jet.
    When they say that is a legal carry on what they mean is that you gate check it and then when you land as soon as you get off the plane it is waiting next to the stairs so there is almost not chance of it getting lost unlike normal luggage where it goes to baggage claim.
    -Philip

Hi Philip,

I'm arriving in Grand Junction on a DE HAVILLAND DHC-8-200 DASH 8/8Q and leaving in an EMB-120 so I guess I will be gate checking. Maybe it's time to start looking into insurance for my equipment. eek7.gif
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2007
    Fred W wrote:
    Hi Philip,

I'm arriving in Grand Junction on a DE HAVILLAND DHC-8-200 DASH 8/8Q and leaving in an EMB-120 so I guess I will be gate checking. Maybe it's time to start looking into insurance for my equipment. eek7.gif

Wow a pretend plane (the DHC) I haven't been on. I did a quick google and it looks like at least on the way out you might be ok (http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00JdCP) .
    On the way back you will have to gate check.
    Before you get seperate equipment insurance check with home owner insurance agent.
    I have been thinking for a week whether I should offer some travel advice and kept thinking everyone probably have plenty of travel experience so my advice would not be needed.
    Well if anyone else has any questions just yell.
    I get on a plane every week.
    I carry my work laptop in a soft laptop briefcase and the camera, and lenses are in a tamrac expedition 4. The tripod (a fairly inexpensive aluminum one) goes in the checked bag. The checked bag has a frame and the tripod is tied down along the main metal rail in the bag. The backpack goes in overhead in any plane and the laptop case goes under the seat in any plane.
    -Philip
    -Willy Wonka
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2007
    I'm already packing and 1/2 mentally checked out. Don't tell Baldy naughty.gif
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2007
    Andy wrote:

I did 90% of my packing over the weekend. So friggin' ready.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    henrytdhenrytd Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited May 14, 2007
    Getting Ready
    DavidTO wrote:
    I did 90% of my packing over the weekend. So friggin' ready.

I usually travel with a small sub-set of camera equipment that can fit in normal carry-on bags. This trip, as noted above, is different: tripod, panning, full complement of lenses, several cameras, and putting it in checked luggage is out of the question.

I was going to use my backpack as a carry-on, but I've just decided, based on remarks in this thread, to split the carry-on stuff into two smaller bags (one looks like a "personal" bag, the other a soft-side briefcase) to avoid size-in-overhead-rack problem (EMB 120 from DEN to GJ). Weight will be heavy, but if it doesn't look heavy, no problem. And I'll have lenses in their own LowePro cases inside my "personal bag" so they could be switched to my belt, or later to the belt of the larger backpack. This backpack will be inside my suitcase for travel, with the tripod. All laptop(s), lenses, cameras, RRS stuff and film will be with me.

AND, I just put all of the above hardware on my homeowners insurance policy, which i've been meaning to do for years.

Only thing left to get is bug protection. Any suggestions?

Skip
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2007
    Check your gear.

* clean your sensors
    * clean your lenses if they need it
    * make sure your tripod does what it's supposed to do
    * check your tripod head - don't forget that!
    * add'l gear (pano heads, etc)?
    * REMOTE!
    * filters
    * extra battery
    * CF Cards
    * lens cloth, blower, etc.

Gonna be a great trip!
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited May 14, 2007
    Andy wrote:

ground crontrol to A4: you are clear for departure....
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2007
    I'll have to unpack when I get home so I can pack rolleyes1.gif.

Not much longer wings.gif

-Philip
    -Willy Wonka
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2007
    I was shooting petroglyphs at Mesa Verde this afternoon........

Among other things:D :D

See you all Thursday. Nightingale says hi.

• Options
    edited May 14, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Check your gear.

* clean your sensors
    * clean your lenses if they need it
    * make sure your tripod does what it's supposed to do
    * check your tripod head - don't forget that!
    * add'l gear (pano heads, etc)?
    * REMOTE!
    * filters
    * extra battery
    * CF Cards
    * lens cloth, blower, etc.

Gonna be a great trip!

Hi Andy,

All systems checked and cleared for takeoff. I also called my home insurance agent today and explained my situation. He's gonna visit me tomorrow to make sure my equipment gets insured. Since I will be gate-checking my equipment for at least one of my flights I am thinking about lightening up my load and beefing up my packing insulation.

Can you give me some advice on my lens selection for shooting Wild Utah with a 20D ? bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif

I plan on taking at least a Canon 10-22mm, 16-35MkII, 24-105mm, 70-200mm F2.8IS, and 1.4TC.

Will I miss not bringing my 35L for low light, 100mm macro, or my 400mm f5.6 for the long side? Especially leaving the 400 behind allows me to have a lot more packing cushion.

Right now their all packed along with the rest of my gear. :D
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2007
    I would bring the 400 before I'd bring the 24-105. You've got the important focal lengths of that lens covered in the 16-35 and 70-200, IMO.

And bring the macro!!! (be prepared to share!! mwink.gif)
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2007
    15524779-Ti.gif I believe you will find it a bit easier to focus on technique with fewer lenses. I am definitely not a salesman:D
    Seriouslydeal.gif There are always going to be images to be found with the wide angle and 200mm. These two focal lengths will be most useful. I will use my 24mm t/s and 70-200mm most of the time, as I usually do!