Options

Photography Workshop--Shoot Wild Utah with Marc Muench!

123457»

Comments

• Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    I was out of town last weekend and am just catching up on this thread now... and I'm worried about the two bags I was going to bring. Normally when I travel (on a regular sized plane) I have my photo backpack and my laptop messenger bag. I was going to bring the laptop of course to dump photos on and view them on the trip.

I recently got the Crumpler Whickey and Cox and was thinking that would be my first carry-on, the Timbuk2 laptop messenger was my second. Tripod will be buried in my checked suitcase. I've never heard of gate-checking and hope that I will not have to do this for either of my carry-ons. Like others, I am super-protective and never let the camera get farther than under the seat in front of me.

I admit the Whickey is a bit bigger than your average Jansport backpack, but I hope it is not too big for the overhead on the prop plane.... eek7.gif

Also, I'm glad Marc you said not to worry about too many lenses. :)
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    I always carry two bags, one for my laptop and the other with my camera gear. The camera gear bag is usually stuffed! I usually gate check the camera gear on the small planes, unless I am in Venezuelaeek7.gif I always get the little red tag and make sure I don't forget to retrieve it when departing the plane. However, the attendants are very careful to remind you and usually have someone standing at the bottom of the stairs with the bags. I also have my equipment insured! And yes they will allow you to carry both on board if you insist, even in a small plane.