Options

Photography Workshop--Shoot Wild Utah with Marc Muench!

Comments

• Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    Ya know like "invoke" someone from New Zealand to come all the way to Utah for a packed lunch deal.gif :rof lrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    You guys have a funny language you also call 'English', which is very confusing. mwink.gif By 'invoke', you must mean 'provide compelling financial inducement'?

Seriously, if there was any practical way to fit a visit to Utah (again) into my schedule, of course I'd love to climb onto an aeroplane for 15 hours or so and join you!
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited May 9, 2007
    Hi David wave.gif

Here is your latte.

Your friend,
    Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    Hi David wave.gif

Here is your latte.

Your friend,
    Ian

Thanks. Guess I could have done that myself, eh? :uhoh

Anyway, Marc must be referring to reciprocity failure. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2007
    Perhaps. But a Latte always tastes better when served....
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    You guys have a funny language you also call 'English', which is very confusing. mwink.gif By 'invoke', you must mean 'provide compelling financial inducement'?

Seriously, if there was any practical way to fit a visit to Utah (again) into my schedule, of course I'd love to climb onto an aeroplane for 15 hours or so and join you!
    Dub Dub, I just could not resist!

Regarding my use of the word "reciprocity" I did use it according to the deffinition "the practice of exchanging things with others for mutual benefit". Therefore, "reciprocity failure instead of noise" Ok Ok, I really just forgot to type "failure".

All in all, the star exposures will have a color shift with film but no noise and the digital exposures will have noise but less colorshift. Whew, I'm glad I got that out.

It is time for a latte:D
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited May 9, 2007
    It is getting hard to even find 35mm slide film, and I can only find one lab in Kansas who still processes Kodachrome if you can find it.ne_nau.gif

I may have to stick with digital. I do have an EOS 3 I can bring if there is film to be found. I do have 8 rolls of 36 exp roll of Velvia 100F that was expired in MAY 2005:D :D . Is that enough to justify carrying an EOS 3 all weekend? Or should I just leave it at home?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    It is getting hard to even find 35mm slide film, and I can only find one lab in Kansas who still processes Kodachrome if you can find it.ne_nau.gif

I could swing by K&S if you like.
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2007
    I always liked Kodachrome better than Ektachrome - K64 is still made I believe.

If you can find three or four 36 exp rolls - or more if other folks will want some - I will be happy to give it a whirl. I'll even buy a round or drinks as well. We need to talk about Alaska agsin also Ian.thumb.gif

The local photofinisher here in town knows of a lab in Kansas that still soups Kodachrome - apparently Kodak no longer processes Kodachrome film. How bad is that!?

• Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2007
    Yikes I hope I'm not the only one who brings only digital! I dug up my old Nikon FM10 but I have no lenses for it, so the point is moot. :(
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2007
    schmooo wrote:
    Yikes I hope I'm not the only one who brings only digital! I dug up my old Nikon FM10 but I have no lenses for it, so the point is moot. :(

Maybe not. You could rent? Or maybe someone else on the trip has a lens you could use?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    henrytdhenrytd Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited May 10, 2007
    More on Recommended Fuji chrome film
    pathfinder wrote:
    .... Kodachrome better than Ektachrome - K64 is still made I believe....

When I asked Marc what film might be good for what we're doing, he responded suggesting Fujichrome Provia 400 speed chrome film. I looked into that, and found out that Provia comes in Provia 100F, 400F & 400X.

Paraphrasing the Fuji descriptions:

Fujichrome Provia 100F and 400X are chrome films that can provide the realistic and sensitive reproduction of an almost endless variety of subjects with fine grain and superb sharpness.

Fujichrome Provia 100F is perfect for a wide range of photographic assignments. It reacts well to long exposures, and provides ultra-fine grain (RMS 8) with Mid Range Color Saturation and contrast. It's available in 35mm, 120/220 and Sheet Formats

Provia 400X replaced Provia 400F in early 2007. It features greater saturation, more vivid color, and finer grain for today's professionals. It offers a new level of Fine Grain in an ISO 400 Chrome Film with an RMS Granularity of 11, and provides Improved Image Stability and Resistance to Fading. It's available in 35mm and 120 roll formats.

Provia 400F features an RMS of 13 providing Very Fine Grain in this Speed Class along with Vibrant Color Reproduction. It's available in 35mm and 120 roll Formats.

I found Provia 400F in the refrigerated pro film section of The Camera Shop in Bryn Mawr, Pa. (they didn't know about 400X). I bought two rolls at $13 something (list is $18.xx). I'd be happy to share one of these if anyone wants it. I really bought two just to have an extra in case someone needed it. I could pick up more also if there's a need.

Having been the one who first raised the question of reciprocity failure in the first place (post 112), I thought I'd share what I learned from the Fuji web site: With 400F, for exposures up to 32 seconds, there is no reciprocity failure, but with a 64 second exposure, an additional 2/3 of a stop is needed (plus a 5G filter). For more than two minutes up to four minutes, a full stop of additional exposure is needed (and a 7.5 G filter correction). More than four minutes is not recommended.

Incidentally, with the 100F film, it can handle up to 8 minutes (2/3 of a stop additional exposure needed) but since it's speed is two stops less, I'm not sure that really gets you anywhere (color correction is 2.5B).

Skip
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2007
    Skip,

I'll take a roll. I'd love to not have to worry about getting out to buy the film. I've got enough details taking care of the lot of you! mwink.gif

Thanks for doing that!!!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Skip,

I'll take a roll. I'd love to not have to worry about getting out to buy the film. I've got enough details taking care of the lot of you! mwink.gif

Thanks for doing that!!!

David

Done!

Anyone else? It's only a 7 min trip, and I'll be going by the store anyway several times between now and next week.

Skip
  • Options
    dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2007
    henrytd wrote:
    David

Done!

Anyone else? It's only a 7 min trip, and I'll be going by the store anyway several times between now and next week.

Skip
    Hi Skip

I wouldn't mind a roll of 36. I'll be happy to reimburse you next week. However, I have a couple of questions for Marc:

1. How safe is it to take this film thru the airport security xrays? Doesn't the xrays cloud unexposed film?
    2. What kind of processing is required for this film?
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2007
    dkoyanagi wrote:
    Hi Skip

I wouldn't mind a roll of 36. I'll be happy to reimburse you next week. However, I have a couple of questions for Marc:

1. How safe is it to take this film thru the airport security xrays? Doesn't the xrays cloud unexposed film?
    2. What kind of processing is required for this film?

Dan

I'll be pleased to pick up a roll of 400F for you.

Marc can add to this, but I'm finding warnings regarding film in checked luggage, but not the hand luggage inspection machines. However, film isn't magnetic, so maybe it can be in one's pockets (if there isn't too much).

Processing is E-6. Maybe Marc can tell us if there is any special instructions recommended, or maybe labs don't even do that anymore, I just don't know.

Skip
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2007
    henrytd wrote:
    Dan

Marc can add to this, but I'm finding warnings regarding film in checked luggage, but not the hand luggage inspection machines. However, film isn't magnetic, so maybe it can be in one's pockets (if there isn't too much).

Processing is E-6. Maybe Marc can tell us if there is any special instructions recommended, or maybe labs don't even do that anymore, I just don't know.

Skip

I just need to know how to get it on my CF card. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    I just need to know how to get it on my CF card. :D

:D:D:D
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2007
    henrytd wrote:
    Dan
    Thanks Skip!
    henrytd wrote:
    Skip
    headscratch.gif Hopefully by the end of this trip I'll have learned more about film so that I'll at least sound like I know what I'm talking about when I take it in for processing. My experience with film is limited to consumer grade film and one-hour processing. :D Luckily there's a retailer/studio near where I live that should be able to help me.
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2007
    schmooo wrote:
    Hi schmooo
    I'll be bringing my Nikon film slr plus three lenses. However, it's a very, very old Nikon (pre-AI, manual focus). If your camera can take manual focus, pre-AI lenses then you're welcome to borrow them.
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2007
    If you decide to bring film I would carry it on! If you buy a speed lower than 800 you can let them scan it through security. Regarding only bringing digital, that is totally fine. I wanted to entertain the option for those who wanted to experience "flash backs"rolleyes1.gifand compare the results.thumb.gif
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2007
    dkoyanagi wrote:
    Hi schmooo
    I'll be bringing my Nikon film slr plus three lenses. However, it's a very, very old Nikon (pre-AI, manual focus). If your camera can take manual focus, pre-AI lenses then you're welcome to borrow them.
    I really appreciate the gesture! Being as I only twiddled around with this camera years ago and went straight into digital, here's what I've found about the lens compatibility for this camera and it doesn't sound likely:

The FM10 accepts any lens with the Nikon F bayonet mount supporting the Automatic Indexing (AI) feature (introduced in 1977). The modern Nikon made AI lenses are the AF-S Nikkor, AF-I Nikkor, AF Nikkor D and Nikkor AI-S types. The discontinued Nikkor AI and Nikon Series E lenses are also AI types. Nikon’s most recent 35 mm film SLR lenses, the AF Nikkor G type (introduced in 2000) lacking an aperture control ring; and the AF Nikkor DX type (2003) with image circles sized for Nikon's digital SLRs will mount, but will not function properly. IX Nikkor lenses (1996), for Nikon's Advanced Photo System (APS) film SLRs, must not be mounted, as their rear elements will intrude far enough into the mirror box to cause damage.

But I am still a bit confused. IF I find I have room in my camera bag for the body I'll bring it, but I already anticipate having space issues with the 200mm zoom and the flash. rolleyes1.gif

I'm not worried though... no matter what happens it'll still be a great week!
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2007
    But I am still a bit confused. IF I find I have room in my camera bag for the body I'll bring it, but I already anticipate having space issues with the 200mm zoom and the flash. rolleyes1.gif

I would not give up the 200mm or the flash for a film camera bodydeal.gif nore the case of fine Merlot from Francemwink.gif
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2007
    I would not give up the 200mm or the flash for a film camera bodydeal.gif nore the case of fine Merlot from Francemwink.gif

If only we could bring liquids on our flights....
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    philiphutsonphiliphutson Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    If only we could bring liquids on our flights....

And with multiples items destroyed in both checked and gate checked I'm not sure it (wine) would survive being checked. Its a shame to because the Reds from my area (central california) are great.

-Philip
    If you want to see paradise simply look around and see it.
    -Willy Wonka
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2007
    henrytd wrote:
    When I asked Marc what film might be good for what we're doing, he responded suggesting Fujichrome Provia 400 speed chrome film. I looked into that, and found out that Provia comes in Provia 100F, 400F & 400X.

Paraphrasing the Fuji descriptions:

Fujichrome Provia 100F and 400X are chrome films that can provide the realistic and sensitive reproduction of an almost endless variety of subjects with fine grain and superb sharpness.

Fujichrome Provia 100F is perfect for a wide range of photographic assignments. It reacts well to long exposures, and provides ultra-fine grain (RMS 8) with Mid Range Color Saturation and contrast. It's available in 35mm, 120/220 and Sheet Formats

Provia 400X replaced Provia 400F in early 2007. It features greater saturation, more vivid color, and finer grain for today's professionals. It offers a new level of Fine Grain in an ISO 400 Chrome Film with an RMS Granularity of 11, and provides Improved Image Stability and Resistance to Fading. It's available in 35mm and 120 roll formats.

Provia 400F features an RMS of 13 providing Very Fine Grain in this Speed Class along with Vibrant Color Reproduction. It's available in 35mm and 120 roll Formats.

I found Provia 400F in the refrigerated pro film section of The Camera Shop in Bryn Mawr, Pa. (they didn't know about 400X). I bought two rolls at $13 something (list is $18.xx). I'd be happy to share one of these if anyone wants it. I really bought two just to have an extra in case someone needed it. I could pick up more also if there's a need.

Having been the one who first raised the question of reciprocity failure in the first place (post 112), I thought I'd share what I learned from the Fuji web site: With 400F, for exposures up to 32 seconds, there is no reciprocity failure, but with a 64 second exposure, an additional 2/3 of a stop is needed (plus a 5G filter). For more than two minutes up to four minutes, a full stop of additional exposure is needed (and a 7.5 G filter correction). More than four minutes is not recommended.

Incidentally, with the 100F film, it can handle up to 8 minutes (2/3 of a stop additional exposure needed) but since it's speed is two stops less, I'm not sure that really gets you anywhere (color correction is 2.5B).

Skip

Skip,

I found about 8 rolls of Provia 100 - they are out of date, but have been stored in air conditioning forever by me. They will be free to whoever wants to try them.

I also have just a few rolls of Ektachrome 100.

I am driving so there will be no radiation exposure too or from shooting....I will send it to Dwayne's for processing

Most of the star circle photos have exposure times of hours I think. Not sure.

• Options
    edited May 11, 2007
    And with multiples items destroyed in both checked and gate checked I'm not sure it (wine) would survive being checked. Its a shame to because the Reds from my area (central california) are great.

-Philip

As are the reds from the Santa Cruz Mountains....oh wait...I'm driving.

Never mind wings.gif
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2007
    See you soon Ian:slurp

• Options
    edited May 12, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    See you soon Ian:slurp

Indeedy! I'll swing by K&S tomorrow too.
  • Options
    slflashslflash Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2007
    Film for camera
    There is also a camera store names Monument Camera that is still in business in GJ. They will have film there if anyone is in a pinch.

Sheila
  • Options
    slflashslflash Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2007
    Cable Release
    Is anyone taking a cable release? Do we need to stock up on water as well, the temps are going to be in the mid to upper 80's? Just thinking ahead.