Options

Photography Workshop--Shoot Wild Utah with Marc Muench!

Comments

• Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    I am looking forward VERY much to this trip. So is my husband, family, friends, and coworkers. I am thinking that wireless at the hotels is a must because they won't wait the 5 days to see some pictures :D
  • Options
    dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2007
    I can't wait! I'm literally counting the days.

BTW, thanks everyone, for the lens advice. I decided to go with the 70-200 f/4.0L IS. I got it last week and took it out for a spin. I can't believe how sharp this lens is.

This was shot handheld, f/4.0 at 200mm. Straight out of the camera, no sharpening:
    140377973-L.jpg

The boxed area at 100%. Again, no sharpening.
    140377993-L.jpg
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2007
    Looks like a keeper Danwings.gif maybe you ought to bring that branch along as well, it would look great against the red rock:D

The sweet spot on that thens ought to be two stops down which is F8!
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2007
    Dan,

That's a mighty tempting lens for me. I have the f4, non-IS version. Bought it used from lynnesite. I was having problems with it last year on our Bryce/Zion trip, and I finally sent it in for repairs. I'm excited...it's all repaired to Canon specs and ready to go. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2007
    The sweet spot on that thens ought to be two stops down which is F8!

Thanks Marc, that's good to know. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Dan,

That's a mighty tempting lens for me. I have the f4, non-IS version. Bought it used from lynnesite. I was having problems with it last year on our Bryce/Zion trip, and I finally sent it in for repairs. I'm excited...it's all repaired to Canon specs and ready to go. :D
    Sounds good. :D BTW, will you be at this workshop? I know you're helping to organize things, but I couldn't tell from your posts whether you're actually going.
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2007
    dkoyanagi wrote:
    Sounds good. :D BTW, will you be at this workshop? I know you're helping to organize things, but I couldn't tell from your posts whether you're actually going.

Yup, I'll be there.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2007
    Just a reminder to all that the balance is due by April 30th.

:D

And--there's still room left!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    philiphutsonphiliphutson Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2007
    I'm in wings.gif!!
    -Philip
    If you want to see paradise simply look around and see it.
    -Willy Wonka
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2007
    I'm in wings.gif!!
    -Philip

Cool! clap.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    slflashslflash Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    Can't Wait
    I am so excited to go! I have been reading through the posts and will now have to decide which 10 images to bring along! headscratch.gif When will others be arriving in GJ? I will arrive around 11ish. I am going to catch lunch with a friend and then be ready to go! Everyone is so excited for me to go and are waiting with anticipation to see my photos. WOOHOO:ivar!
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2007
    slflash wrote:
    I am so excited to go! I have been reading through the posts and will now have to decide which 10 images to bring along! headscratch.gif When will others be arriving in GJ? I will arrive at 11:15 from Orange County. I am going to catch lunch with a friend and then be ready to go! Everyone is so excited for me to go and are waiting with anticipation to see my photos. WOOHOO:ivar!

Sheila,

YAY! clap.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    philiphutsonphiliphutson Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2007
    slflash wrote:
    I am so excited to go! I have been reading through the posts and will now have to decide which 10 images to bring along! headscratch.gif When will others be arriving in GJ? I will arrive around 11ish. I am going to catch lunch with a friend and then be ready to go! Everyone is so excited for me to go and are waiting with anticipation to see my photos. WOOHOO:ivar!

I'm actually flying into Denver then driving to GJ. The price difference to drive instead of fly was more than a rental for the week and I wanted to see more of that area. I fly at least once a week for work so any chance to drive and see the country I take it. So I expect to be getting there around 5pm.
    I can't wait!!
    -Philip
    If you want to see paradise simply look around and see it.
    -Willy Wonka
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2007
    slflash wrote:
    Welcome aboard Sheila:D

I just spoke with the guides yesterday and have confirmed our rendezvous with them to explore Cathedral Valley and Rock art. Looks like everything is set for a great time. :ivar
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2007
    Philip,
    Have a safe drive. If I remember correctly it is about a four hour drive if you don't hit construction or bad weather. See you there!

Sheila
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2007
    wildflowers
    Great news for everyone going on the Wild Utah workshop, our Guide Pat Kearney emailed me today that all the local wildflowers are just emerging and ought to be in peak bloom by the 17thclap.gifclapclap.gif
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2007
    Great news for everyone going on the Wild Utah workshop, our Guide Pat Kearney emailed me today that all the local wildflowers are just emerging and ought to be in peak bloom by the 17thclap.gifclapclap.gif

w00t!

clap.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited May 4, 2007

Nize!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2007
    Flowers
    9496500-Ti.gifI can't wait!!

Sheila
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    I'm so glad to hear that, and I'm looking forward to meeting everyone in less than 2 weeks! :D
  • Options
    henrytdhenrytd Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    Getting Ready! What film?
    schmooo wrote:
    I'm so glad to hear that, and I'm looking forward to meeting everyone in less than 2 weeks! :D
    Wild Utah Participants:

So am I! I think it's especially exciting that we're going to be there for some wildflower blooming. Now if the weather gods are on our side... knock on wood.

I've been fiddling with some panorama stuff from RRS (see Andy's list)...was able to get everything I wanted except I was told the PCL-1 (rotating base which goes between the ballhead and the nodal slide) was backordered until mid-May, but I pleaded my case and to my surprise and delight, this last piece to the puzzle arrived yesterday UPS Next Day. The RRS people are responsive, knowledgable, and a pleasure to deal with. Joe Johnson, owner, took my most recent call involving a question about mounting the PCL-1 directly on the ballhead. He sends his best, Marc.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to have my backpack-camera case weigh less than 20 lbs.

Marc, if you're there: what would you recommend for film? It's been so long, I feel out of touch with what's available, and I don't know what the use will be. Something about night photography of ancient drawings? I've never done long timed exposures, and would appreciate a suggestion on this point, in case something tricky like reciprocity failure and color shifting is a factor. My film camera is the EOS 3, brought out of retirement. Other equipment includes some fast primes, the 24-105 f/4 L IS, and a couple of other zooms 16-35 and 70-300.

I'll be on UA 6034, DEN to GJT departing 2:23 local time, in case others are on that flight. I picked a seat on the right, but I would guess the views going over the Rockies are pretty spectacular from either side.

See you May 17!

Skip
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2007
    Hi Skip
    I would use the Fuji Provia400 chrome. I mentioned film as an alternative for the long night exposures we will have the opportunity to shoot. Film will invoke some reciprocity but not include the noise. We will have several nights out giving you the opportunity to try both:ivar
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2007
    Film will invoke some reciprocity but not include the noise.

What the heck does that mean? eek7.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Could be a reason you will benefit from the workshop? mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2007
    Could be a reason you will benefit from the workshop? mwink.gif

One of many ways! :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2007
    I'd be there too if the commute wasn't a little challenging! :giggle
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2007
    I'd be there too if the commute wasn't a little challenging! :giggle

Why don't you man up and get yer butt over here?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Why don't you man up and get yer butt over here?
    I'd need a lttle more than a packed lunch! eek7.gif
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:

invoke |inˈvōk|
    • give rise to; evoke
    • summon (a spirit) by charms or incantation.

Ya know like "invoke" someone from New Zealand to come all the way to Utah for a packed lunchdeal.gifroflrolleyes1.gifrofl
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2007
    invoke |in?v?k|
    • give rise to; evoke
    • summon (a spirit) by charms or incantation.

Ya know like "invoke" someone from New Zealand to come all the way to Utah for a packed lunchdeal.gifroflrolleyes1.gifrofl

You're funny.

Reciprocity is what I didn't understand. Particularly what you mean by it in terms of photography.
    Moderator Emeritus