Options

Where to buy?

Comments

• Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    I agree Charles. I have ordered a number of items from Adorama and everything hase been shipshape and arrives quickly. Not always next day to Indiana, but within a few days certainly. I recently ordered two of their studio flash/modelling units - the FlashPoint 620s I think. Made in China of course, but seems to work very well. The stands are well made and sturdy too.
    Well Adoram/UPS really gold starred this time. Less than 24 hours from calling them to getting the lens in my fingers. I called them at 513PM and UPS had the lens in their computer at 7:31 (2hr 18min later). That is remarkable customer service by Adorama!
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    martello photographymartello photography Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 24, 2005
    Just a suggestion to the mod's we should start a sticky thread on vendors we've had dealings with and were pleased, not pleased with. This will help new members.
    www.streetprices.com has some good deals as well.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2005
    That's not a store, it's a site that lists prices from different stores. Looks like a price robot of some sort.

I see Abes of Maine among the stores for a LCD TV. :uhoh In other words, even if you find a good price there, you still have to vet the store you're ultimately buying from.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    martello photographymartello photography Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 24, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    That's not a store, it's a site that lists prices from different stores. Looks like a price robot of some sort.

I see Abes of Maine among the stores for a LCD TV. :uhoh In other words, even if you find a good price there, you still have to vet the store you're ultimately buying from.
    It is actually a great site for camera equipment. It gathers all the sales and deals from all the other sites and shows the best prices...so it is easier to compare.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2005
    It is actually a great site for camera equipment. It gathers all the sales and deals from all the other sites and shows the best prices...so it is easier to compare.
    OK, yer starting to sound like you have an association with them. Do you?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Clix PixClix Pix Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 28, 2005
    I have always been very happy with B&H -- they are trustworthy, service is great, you get what you ordered and it comes promptly.

--Connie
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2005
    As do nextag.com and shopping.com (my favorite). froogle.com is a good alternative too. Shopping sites are a good way to compare bhphoto prices with the rest of the shops. There has to be a really big price difference to make me want to buy anywhere else.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2005
    I believe in allegiance to one store. Until B&H treats me wrong, I'll shop there. Maybe I can save 3% by going elsewhere, but it is not worth it to me.
  • Options
    ShebaJoShebaJo Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2005
    A friend in Canada (BC actually) wants to get a 20D. Anybody have an idea for her?
    Thanks
  • Options
    PeterGarPeterGar Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2005
    Mongrel wrote:
    I didn't see them mentioned but I have purchased quite a few items (mostly lenses) from Canoga Camera in California.

Prices usually run about $10 less than B&H for lenses and their shipping charges have recently been reduced.

I have had great service with them in all aspects of every transaction and can recommend them.

I also use:

B&H
    Newegg
    Delta International (great pricing on Sigma lenses, higher for Canon glass).
    I live a few miles from Canoga Camera and they are a decent place to shop. I personally have found the people at Woodland Hills Camera to be friendlier and the service better than Canoga Camera.
  • Options
    PeterGarPeterGar Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2005
    luckyrwe wrote:
    I shopped at Canoga Camera way back in the early 80s. I'd love to still shop there, but I am getting used to not having to pay sales tax.
    I also got used to paying no sales tax on online purchases until I found out about the California Use Tax we are required to pay on all non-taxed online purchases. My joy went straight out the window when I did my income taxes this year. :cry
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2005
    PeterGar wrote:
    I also got used to paying no sales tax on online purchases until I found out about the California Use Tax we are required to pay on all non-taxed online purchases. My joy went straight out the window when I did my income taxes this year. :cry
    My wife just freaked out regarding her cigarette purchases online. No more credit cards allowed. Weird!
  • Options
    BridgeCityBridgeCity Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2005
    PeterGar wrote:
    What is this "sales tax" thing you refer to? :D
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2005
    BridgeCity wrote:
    It's the small price we pay for lower property taxes. clap.gif
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2005
    BridgeCity wrote:
    What! You all have online purchases when you do your taxes?

And how do you figure those up?

I don't shop online, not much.

And Barnes and Noble now charges me sales tax right online.

g (our state says the same thing, was sure glad that I am totally broke, most of the time.)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    LivingFictionLivingFiction Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited May 11, 2005
    I used to buy my gear all online, but I've found that I appreciate having a relationship with my vendor. So now when I need something I call Nick at Pictureline . It's halfway across the country from where I am, but Nick takes the time to make sure I'm getting what I want.

Recently I was in the market for a bag, but there are no camera shops where I live, so I found a couple online that I thought might work, called Nick, told him my usual kit for events, and he told me he'd call me back in an hour. Then he took the bags I'd mentioned, and the gear I'd mentioned (or something of similar size) and played around with the bags. When he called me back, he was able to give me his findings, and make an intelligent recommendation. He's even talked me out of getting things I don't need, because he knows it pays dividends when I come back next time knowing he'll give it to me straight.

Consider building a relationship with a camera shop, and if you call Nick at Pictureline, tell him Michael Eldredge sent you.
  • Options
    NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2005
    Adorama vs B&H
    cmr164 wrote:
    Adorama has only had a passing reference in this thread and they really deserve more mention. They have ended up getting all my business from B&H in the past 1.5 years. ... Every single purchase I have made has made it next day delivery even though I am only paying for UPS standard.
    Huh.. I've almost always ordered from B&H and always been happy. But I'm not far from you so this time I ordered from both! I am ordering some extension tubes, a flash, and some misc accessories I either can't find or won't pay the markup for locally. So I decided I'd split the order. I ordered the tubes from B&H and the flash from Adorama.. I placed the order through the Internet within minutes of each other using 3-day UPS for both.. Now I'll just sit back and see who gets here faster! This should be a win-win scenerio for me eh?! :D

As for the OP, I ordered my camera from an outfit in NJ called BeachCamera.com. They were one of the lower bidders when comparing prices yet had some respectable reviews on resellerratings.com and the sort. I was uneasy going w/ them as I had no experience w/ them. Fortunately the transaction worked out well. I had my camera in short time and at a price that saved me hundreds over B&H, even more over local retailers. I'd much rather have supported a local shop, but I just couldn't justify the expense.

However for accessories and lenses I'll just about always turn to the big guys in NYC like B&H. They have the selection and service that just can't be beat. And I trust them. I order w/ confidence from them and don't loose sleep worrying I've been ripped off. That's worth something in many cases..
  • Options
    therootheroo Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited May 23, 2005
    I've excellent luck with B&H and with 17th Street Photo.:):
    Theroo
  • Options
    webwizardwebwizard Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited June 3, 2005
    I've always bought stuff from B&H over the web and never had a problem. They may not be the cheapest but they deliver on their promises and service. When I had to talk to someone, you alway get a live person and they actually know what they are talking about.

I recently moved to the NYC area. Yesterday I had to buy some CF chips for my 20d and used the opportunity to go to the store on my lunch hour. What a trip! It's like toyland for grownups. The place was busy but there was no lengthy waiting and no shortage of "can I help you's"?
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2005
    I am looking at possibly buying some lighting gear from Adorama soon. How does their website denote if something is in stock or not?

Do I have to call to be certain they have it or if I place the order will it show in the confirmation process if it is not available? I am used to using B+H's site which always seems very accurate to me if it is in or out of stock.
  • Options
    DuppypogDuppypog Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited September 23, 2005
    Adorama and Mack Camera Repair
    Did you figure out how to tell if the item at Adorama is in stock?

Also, has anyone had experience purchasing the Mack Camera Repair extended warranty through Adorama? Is it worth the extra investment?

Thanks,
    Lynnette
    patch29 wrote:
    I am looking at possibly buying some lighting gear from Adorama soon. How does their website denote if something is in stock or not?

Do I have to call to be certain they have it or if I place the order will it show in the confirmation process if it is not available? I am used to using B+H's site which always seems very accurate to me if it is in or out of stock.
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2005
    Duppypog wrote:
    Did you figure out how to tell if the item at Adorama is in stock?

I called it in to be certain, plus it was a MAC sales promotion weekend, so I wanted to get the sale price on the Pocket Wizard's and Sekonic meter.
  • Options
    Wayne A WrightWayne A Wright Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited October 27, 2005
    20D body
    I just got alittle money and I'm ready to purchase my new 20D body. Where is a good place to get it? I do alot on B&H just wondering if there is anywhere else that is better/cheaper?
    I have seen several on E-bay recently, you might want to check it out. Several of them were brand new, still in the box.
    Wayne
  • Options
    henryphenryp Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2005
    webwizard wrote:
    I've always bought stuff from B&H over the web and never had a problem. They may not be the cheapest but they deliver on their promises and service. When I had to talk to someone, you alway get a live person and they actually know what they are talking about.

I recently moved to the NYC area. Yesterday I had to buy some CF chips for my 20d and used the opportunity to go to the store on my lunch hour. What a trip! It's like toyland for grownups. The place was busy but there was no lengthy waiting and no shortage of "can I help you's"?
    I know this is a little tardy, but I wanted to thank everyone in this thread who posted kind words about us.
  • Options
    ValerieValerie Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 16, 2005
    How do I send an email to everyone?
    Sorry to bother you, but I'm new at this. How do I send an email to everyone? Can I send an email to all the subscribers on Digital Grin?

valerie@TheAList.org
    I just got alittle money and I'm ready to purchase my new 20D body. Where is a good place to get it? I do alot on B&H just wondering if there is anywhere else that is better/cheaper?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2005
    Valerie wrote:
    Sorry to bother you, but I'm new at this. How do I send an email to everyone? Can I send an email to all the subscribers on Digital Grin?

valerie@TheAList.org

Oh sorry we don't allow that sort of thing :spam

I put your other post in the Vendor forum.
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2005
    BH = Good!
    henryp wrote:
    I know this is a little tardy, but I wanted to thank everyone in this thread who posted kind words about us.
    I recently ordered an XT body and Tamron (28-75 f2.8) lens from B&H. Absolute best pricing I had seen. I asked ( and received) two day UPS shipping. Everything was excellent, as planned, and well packed.

I have seen some comments about box integrity or USP handling of boxes, but I have to say, my shipment was well packed, well handled, and well thought out - with all the rebate forms attached to the invoice copies.

My vote for great supplier to Digital Grin members.

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    jersmithjersmith Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited November 26, 2005
    KEH Camera Brokers
    Zanotti wrote:
    I recently ordered an XT body and Tamron (28-75 f2.8) lens from B&H. Absolute best pricing I had seen. I asked ( and received) two day UPS shipping. Everything was excellent, as planned, and well packed.

I have seen some comments about box integrity or USP handling of boxes, but I have to say, my shipment was well packed, well handled, and well thought out - with all the rebate forms attached to the invoice copies.

My vote for great supplier to Digital Grin members.

Z
    Any one have any experience with KEH Camera Brokers out of Atlanta? I am looking to buy a new Nikon D50.
  • Options
    Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2005
    disappointed in B&H and/or UPS
    I ordered a Canon 20D and Canon 100-400 USM L lens and various other small things from B&H via the internet on Weds evening before Thanksgiving, nervously apprehensive about such a large purchase, but reassured by all the positive things Dgrinners have said about B&H. Early Friday morning (before 8 AM Calif. time) I got a call to confirm that I had made the order and was told that my order would be shipped that day. Interestly the B&H tracking system still said the order was being processed until Sun. I found out why when I received an email Sun night indicating that my order would ship the next day.

Then the UPS tracking system initially said that they couldn't track my order since the order to ship had been received electronically. It was not until Weds night that my order showed up on their system - with an indication that the shipping date had been rescheduled for Friday (so much for 3 day shipping).

The package finally showed up at my husbands office Thurs afternoon in a very crunched up looking box. If he had been there, he would have refused the package, but one of the employees signed for it. I'm not sure if this is UPS or B&H. The box was not very sturdy and seemed to be lightly packed so that the camera and lenses and other stuff could be jostled about. The box was obviously crunched and had what appeared to be extra packing tape added (but I'm not sure if that tape job was by B&H or UPS).

I know I need to give B&H a chance to show the great customer service that so many of you talked about, but I just had to vent. My boys (9 & 11) are running in the Jr. Olympics cross country finals next week and I really wanted the camera and long zoom for their races. Instead I have to go stand in line w/ the holiday crowds at UPS and see whether I should even open the box or whether it should go straight back to B&Hbncry.gif

hoping for the best!

Colleen
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • Options
    RobtRobt Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited December 27, 2005
    I'd go up above here to post 55 in this thread and call that man Henery Posner. Based on my dealings with B+H you don't get to be the biggest in the world and harm those who buy from you. Oh yeah, next time request FedEx or DHL, they seem to care more than the Brown

Good Luck to the kids..