mikeb380mikeb380 Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited March 23, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I did some research and find that Amazon owns at least three camera stores:
    1) JAG @ Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&me=A3HQC30O9XBAKP

2) Lens-Lab-DSLR: http://astore.amazon.com/lenslab-20

3) ProFilm.com - A Division of Amazon.com: http://tinyurl.com/2j8l9k

this URL was too long to list, thus tiny URL was used

I haven't checked all of them on reseller ratings but they are owned by Amazon.

Again, if you are considering trying a site, go to:
    http://www.resellerratings.com/

and do a search on the company
    . If you have done business with a company go to reseller ratings and leave a review. If the company isn't listed ask reseller to list it and then you can go back when they notify you and leave a review. Everyone ought to do a review every time they do business on line, that way we can all find out the truth of these companies.

Michaelne_nau.gif
    Michael :-)
    http://www.tabblo.com/studio/view/tabblos/mikeb380/
    ========
    Photography: the art of seeing the uncommon in the common.
    +++++++
    CANON EOS XT- 350D - Sigma 28 - 80 mm macro, MC Zenitar EF 3.5/16MM
    CANON F1n, Canon FD 28mm 2.8 SC, Canon FL 200mm 3.5
    Jupiter 9 2.8/85mm used on bellows for EOS & F1 Bellows is M42 thread with adaptors for both cameras.
    Tair 135mm 2.8
    Kiev 88 6x6 camera - Mir 38B 3.5/65mm, Arsat B 2.8/80mm, J26V 250 mm tele
    16 various FSU & German cameras
  • Options
    MonaCKMonaCK Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited March 24, 2008
    B&H - am I the only one?
    Unfortunately, B&H lost my business for good.

I went into the brick and morter store in Manhattan to purchase something non-photo related. I had gone on their website, and printed out an offer that they had on there for an item (it was a creative zen W mp3 player). It was by far the cheapest that I had seen in anywhere, and before I purchased it, I wanted to actually go to the store and hold it in my hand.

Found a sales rep who was going to help me, until I showed them the price that was on their website. To make a long story short, they tried to charge me a price that well above the price that was listed on their very own website, and essentially told me that if I didn't like it, I could take my business elsewhere.

So I did. And I have. And I'm never going back. I don't care if I end up spending -more- at another store. I will never give B&H a dime of my business as a result of the way that they treated me on that day.

That being said - for camera related purchases, I also highly recommend Berger Bros. I am also close to both stores - I live near the syosset store, and my husband works near the Amityville store (and we used to live in Amityville which is how we got hooked up with them in the first place). Their customer service is wonderful, and I would rather spend a few dollars more and support the "little guy".
  • Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2008
    MonaCK wrote:
    IMHO, you are making a mistake. B&H isn't about MP3 players, even though they sell them (probably lots of them). If you are serious about photography, then I recommend that you base your judgment of them based on your photography-related inquiries and purchases, not your $X00 MP3 experience (as to which, your experience in its own right was indefensible, no question about it). I mention inquiries because inquiries are free, and the information that flows back to you from B&H is abundant.

Perhaps your local retailer of choice is everything that you want or need, and maybe every bit as good as B&H on a smaller scale; that's cool. I just wouldn't turn my back on the depth of everything that they offer on the photo side based on that one unrelated experience. And just remember - when you are ready for that $99,000 Canon lens, they are the only game in town! mwink.gif
  • Options
    cabinetbuffcabinetbuff Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2008
    timcallow wrote:
    Hey guys, how about Amazon. I bought a 50mm 1.4L lens, it came in a few days in perfect condition. I am now looking at a 70-300 IS USM lens, Any other reviews for amazon?
    Since 2005 I have been buying all of my photo/video gear from Amazon (not their partners -- it must say "Availability: In Stock. Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.".

My experience with Amazon's return policy has been simply put -- awesome - it just takes few clicks to answer a couple of questions, you then print a return label, stick it to the box that the product originally came in and drop it off at you UPS/USPS location. If it's a defective product they will ship a replacement before your return is received (they have your CC anyways so why not?)!

I highly recommend Amazon.com -- just make sure you are buying from Amazon directly.

They are also great with matching reduced prices within 30 days of purchase. So if you bought something and it went down in price, call them and they will credit you the difference.

Free super saver shipping, easy purchasing interface and customer reviews also help.
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2008
    MonaCK wrote:
    Unfortunately, B&H lost my business for good ... I went into the brick and morter store in Manhattan to purchase something non-photo related. I had gone on their website, and printed out an offer that they had on there for an item ... Found a sales rep who was going to help me, until I showed them the price that was on their website ... they tried to charge me a price that well above the price that was listed on their very own website
    Not defending their action here but it's a typical practice of any store that sells online and in store -- their in store prices are always higher than online. The typical explanation is that there's overhead in running a "real" store so they must charge accordingly.

I've had exact same experience with Samys camera in Los Angeles -- these guys are notorious for this type of "business practice" in fact they don't even attach price tags to any of the in store items you have to haggle them for a deal -- I hate going there, only resorting to them for when I need something ASAP. Most of my purchases are done online.

I think it's ridiculous that they do this -- the brick and mortar store is there anyway it's not like they made a special arrangement for me to come out and see the products. If it's such a big overhead running a "real" store than just close it.

I realized that I was just wasting my time in their store, paying local taxes and "in-store" premium all for what -- just to buy it locally, to have an immediate gratification? It's really weird but lately I actually enjoy the anticipation of waiting for something I bought online.

The thing is that when they do this they loose me as a customer all together because it doesn't make any sense for me to buy from them online since I also have to pay local taxes.

Bottom line they've (Samys) lost thousands of dollars worth of business from me alone and I am sure there are many other customers that feel the same way.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2008
    I do very little in real stores (brick and mortar) almost exclusively I buy online....
    Where from...............
    I have done business here on Dgrin....buying and selling

Ebay.....I use resellars ratings dot come alot to check out unknown sellers (i do not car if you ahve a feed back of 100% with 100 trillion buyers.....

Cameta Camera's Ebay store...now I have purcahsed from them when they were still advertising in various Photo Rags...I mean Mags....

B/H some...but I price check othersourses for lower prices..as long as the other guy has decent Resellers ratings I go with them.....B/H may seem to have everything but I have had probs in the past, it could be I don't do tens of thousands of dollars with them a month.....but to me you treat a low end customer just as well as the highest end...because you never know who the little ole man buying the cheapest thing today may actually be some artist you just did not recognize due to his looks this morning.......

Many of the online stores or those that still advertise in the Mags I won't touch at all andsome of those used to be fantastic when their origianl owners had them....why they sold to those that have turned them into scourges ofthe trade is beyond me...why the scourges bought them is simple they had fantastic reputations but now....Ohhh not so..........

EDIT:
    My thoughts on Amazon are like this.....since I have to pay S/H and also SALES TAXES what do I gain over buying locally...this includes Photograhic equipment as well as book.....they charge SALES TAX even on stuff from their resellars that are in different states from where the item is being shipped.....just bought ETL From a Store in New Hampshire and the freaking Amazon charges me Ks sales tax....my only reason to use Amazon is if no one else has it......it truly is a LAST RESORT....if I am buying online and it is coming from out of state I should not be charged sales tax...........gotta cool off on this...get back into Buddha Nature.......Ommmmm Ommmmmmm Ommmmm Ommmm
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    henryphenryp Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2008
    Re: B&H - am I the only one?
    MonaCK wrote:

I went into the brick and morter store in Manhattan to purchase something non-photo related. I had gone on their website, and printed out an offer that they had on there for an item (it was a creative zen W mp3 player). It was by far the cheapest that I had seen in anywhere, and before I purchased it, I wanted to actually go to the store and hold it in my hand.

Found a sales rep who was going to help me, until I showed them the price that was on their website. To make a long story short, they tried to charge me a price that well above the price that was listed on their very own website, and essentially told me that if I didn't like it, I could take my business elsewhere.

I am sorry to read this distrubing anecdote but there's little else to be said about it from this report. Our web site and sales database show one Creative Labs Zen Vision W MP3 player and its price is $259.95 in both places. The underlying database, which shows things like inventory and shipping weights, indicates no price change any time this month.

Cabinetbuff suggested, "...in store prices are always higher than online," which is not uncommon in the retail galaxy but is something not done at B&H. Ked said, "B&H isn't about MP3 players," which is really not relevant. B&H is about every product we sell and every customer. Art Scott got it completely right when he said, "...you treat a low end customer just as well as the highest end..." a philosophy with which we agree totally and practice every day.

I don't know what price MonaCK saw, nor do I know how this alleged discrepancy came to be. I don't know if she was looking at a demo or open-box page on our site or a limited-time show special or even a simple typo (for which our site has the usual lawyer-vetted disclaimers). MonaCK is welcome -- encouraged -- to contact me here or via e-mail with more complete information and I will be happy to address this. In the meantime, we do regret her dissatisfaction and the ire it aroused.

Follow-up:
    I e-mailed MonaCK who replied that the incident she described took place "... a couple of years back." She further informed me that when she inquired the item she sought was out of stock, so price matching was not an option anyway. Frankly I am disappointed that this non-incident has been hashed up here at this time.
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2008
    MonaCK wrote:

One anal retentive employee?

I have done the same as you in the past...and have come to learn the meaning of "cutting off your nose to spite your face"!

I would bet if you have a valid complaint that B&H will do the right thing. :D
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    My thoughts on Amazon are like this.....since I have to pay S/H and also SALES TAXES what do I gain over buying locally...this includes Photograhic equipment as well as book.....they charge SALES TAX even on stuff from their resellars that are in different states from where the item is being shipped.....just bought ETL From a Store in New Hampshire and the freaking Amazon charges me Ks sales tax....my only reason to use Amazon is if no one else has it......it truly is a LAST RESORT....if I am buying online and it is coming from out of state I should not be charged sales tax...........gotta cool off on this...get back into Buddha Nature.......Ommmmm Ommmmmmm Ommmmm Ommmm
    I buy a bunch from Amazon (not only photo-related) and I don't pay shipping or sales tax. Are you only talking about stuff from Amazon resellers? Or is it a KS state thing - I know some states are trying to collect sales tax on out-of-state purchases.

If I buy directly from Amazon (as cabinetbuff said, "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.") they don't charge sales tax (at least not for shipments to NY) and I always opt for their free "Super Saver Shipping" on orders over $25 (and I always group orders so it's over $25) While it's supposed to be their slowest delivery service, I don't remember the last time it took more than 3 or 4 days using the free shipping option. For example - I ordered a couple of DVDs Saturday afternoon. I received a shipping confirmation Sunday afternoon, and received the items Tuesday, all at no charge for shipping.

All that said, I also purchase regularly from B&H (with no complaints) and try to visit the big "candy store" in the city when I can. I also shop at Berger Brothers - like MonaCK I live near their Syosset store - and have had good dealings with them as well.
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2008
    Originally Posted by Art Scott

Strange about your luck with Amazon.com. I use them almost exclusively (sometimes I go to b&h for specialty items but thier shipping prices kill me, for computer related stuff I usually do newegg but they mess up shipping a lot and are high shipping cost too).

Most of the time Amazon has the lowest price, free shipping for most things (and I have Amazon Prime so I get free 2 day shipping and 3.99 overnight) and No sales tax. I am in Nevada, Amazon has 2 ware houses here and they still have found a way to not charge me sales tax. That is a HUGE deal to me - sales tax + shipping is a major part of why I buy from Amazon. I've bought items from Amazon's marketplace sellers and with that I have to pay shipping but have never paid sales tax.

I've sold items on Amazon.com too, and hate when people say "only use Amazon.com not the marketplace sellers". Amazon protects the buyer and seller from fraud, so other then shiping cost and speed of shipments it is the same thing.
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    Strange about your luck with Amazon.com. I use them almost exclusively

15524779-Ti.gif

Amazon Prime, baby!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    I've sold items on Amazon.com too, and hate when people say "only use Amazon.com not the marketplace sellers". Amazon protects the buyer and seller from fraud, so other then shiping cost and speed of shipments it is the same thing.

It's not the same thing -- you are forgetting one very important factor -- the return policy. Amazon's return policy is simply amazing -- as I mentioned they will ship a replacement item before getting their return if you claim the one you received was defective.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2008
    It's not the same thing -- you are forgetting one very important factor -- the return policy. Amazon's return policy is simply amazing -- as I mentioned they will ship a replacement item before getting their return if you claim the one you received was defective.

That is a good point. The return policy for Amazon.com items is top-notch. You are right, I had forgotten about that. I do try to do all my purcheses via Amazon.com and not other sellers - mostly because of shipping costs but also like you said, return policy.

thumb.gif
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2008
    I think there's another side to this though, which I've just discovered recently. An item purchased from Amazon may be fine out of the box, but what about when it fails say, six months later? It's clearly not returnable, but you don't have your local retailer to walk into to see about repair, or even whether repair is worthwhile. I'm having this issue with a $150 pair of headphones -- too inexpensive to warrant the cost of shipping back to the mfr. for repair, too expensive to just throw in the garbage and replace after six months.

So the moral of the story for me is, stick to Amazon for books and music, and find a good retailer for electronics and especially for crucial photography gear. YMMV.
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2008
    KED wrote:
    So the moral of the story for me is, stick to Amazon for books and music, and find a good retailer for electronics and especially for crucial photography gear. YMMV.

I guess the issue for me is that I don't really agree with paying the premiums for buying in town. I was checking with a photography store in town about the Canon 70-200 f/2.8L - which retails for around $1500 on B&H and Amazon.com at the time. I asked the store what their price was (they didn't have any in stock) and they said it was $1699 - including the Canon discount (which I took as meaning they were gonna keep that $125 from Canon). So not only would I be out $200, I'd have to pay the tax on the $1700 purchase. That is just outrageous. Amazon.com items usually have the manufacturers warranty (those that don't are denoted as "import"), same as B&H stuff.

In some cases, I do agree with you. For example, I got my 40D locally - the price difference was just that I had to pay tax. I was happy for that because I have the store close to me and can take it back quickly and easily for replacement if there is a problem with it. That to me was worth the tax cost.
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    I guess the issue for me is that I don't really agree with paying the premiums for buying in town. I was checking with a photography store in town about the Canon 70-200 f/2.8L - which retails for around $1500 on B&H and Amazon.com at the time. I asked the store what their price was (they didn't have any in stock) and they said it was $1699 - including the Canon discount (which I took as meaning they were gonna keep that $125 from Canon). So not only would I be out $200, I'd have to pay the tax on the $1700 purchase. That is just outrageous. Amazon.com items usually have the manufacturers warranty (those that don't are denoted as "import"), same as B&H stuff.

In some cases, I do agree with you. For example, I got my 40D locally - the price difference was just that I had to pay tax. I was happy for that because I have the store close to me and can take it back quickly and easily for replacement if there is a problem with it. That to me was worth the tax cost.
    B&H qualifies as a "local retailer" no matter where you are -- if you have a problem, you call them and get someone technically knowledgeable, and if necessary and appropriate, someone else who can help you with returns. And with them, YOU also save sales tax. The difference between B&H and Amazon is the availability of human beings with whom to discuss technical issues on the phone.
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2008
    KED wrote:
    ... An item purchased from Amazon may be fine out of the box, but what about when it fails say, six months later? It's clearly not returnable

... So the moral of the story for me is, stick to Amazon for books and music, and find a good retailer for electronics and especially for crucial photography gear. YMMV.

... B&H qualifies as a "local retailer" no matter where you are -- if you have a problem, you call them and get someone technically knowledgeable, and if necessary and appropriate, someone else who can help you with returns. And with them, YOU also save sales tax. The difference between B&H and Amazon is the availability of human beings with whom to discuss technical issues on the phone.

You seem to have implied that because B&H is considered a "local retailer" their return policy will allow for a longer return window ... have you actually read B&H's official return policy?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/HelpCenter/ReturnExchange.jsp

Where does it say that you will be able to return an item "six months later"?

Second, what difference does it make if I can "get someone technically knowledgeable" if all I want to do is to return a defective item? I've already done my research and I know that I want it returned or exchanged. To me not having to talk to anyone is a big plus -- gets my hard earned cash back into my pocket faster and easier.

I applaud Amazon.com for their easy to use, humanless return interface.

You are obviously hoping that by doing all your shopping at a local retailer you will have established a long-term relationship and favorable treatment when you need it. Ok, I guess that it can happen ... the question is when? How will I know that I am now privileged enough to have this special treatment you are talking about?

I guess it's all about what an individual customer wants -- I want clarity, simplicity, time saving and low prices right now (provided to me by Amazon.com); your priorities are obviously different.
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2008
    You seem to have implied that because B&H is considered a "local retailer" their return policy will allow for a longer return window ... have you actually read B&H's official return policy?

Where does it say that you will be able to return an item "six months later"?

Nowhere. I never asserted that they had an extended return window.

[/QUOTE]Second, what difference does it make if I can "get someone technically knowledgeable" if all I want to do is to return a defective item? [/QUOTE]

None. If what you get out of the box is defective, any reputable retailer, not limited to Amazon and B&H, will replace it. I was referring to issues that arise outside the customary (2-4 week) return window; even if it's outside the manufacturer's warranty, it would be nice to be able to talk to a human about the cost-benefit of repair vs. replace.

[/QUOTE]You are obviously hoping that by doing all your shopping at a local retailer you will have established a long-term relationship and favorable treatment when you need it. Ok, I guess that it can happen ... the question is when? How will I know that I am now privileged enough to have this special treatment you are talking about?[/QUOTE]
    I object to your presumption of anything "obvious" about my motivations -- I can't check back now but I am guessing that you live very far away from New York City. I am a pimple on an elephant at B&H. I have gotten amazing service from them and that's my reference point, period.

[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2008
    KED wrote:
    If what you get out of the box is defective, any reputable retailer, not limited to Amazon and B&H, will replace it.
    I agree, but I haven't found an online retailer that will make the return process as simple and fast as amazon.com's return process.

I don't want to call an 800 number to get an RMA# to return my item, I don't want to spell my first and last name, I don't want to listen to the dreaded "your call is important to us" or "your call may be monitored for quality assurance" or "Para Espanol, Oprima Numero Dos".

I want to go online, at my convenience, answer two simple questions -- "is the item defective?" "do you want it exchanged?", print a return label stick it to the box and send it out -- that's all.

If something breaks outside of the return policy, well I guess that's my problem -- I haven't done my homework and selected a crappy product -- if I can't get it fixed I write it off and move on with my life, maybe write about it on product review page so those that follow me don't get burned.
  • Options
    henryphenryp Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    I want to go online, at my convenience, answer two simple questions -- "is the item defective?" "do you want it exchanged?", print a return label stick it to the box and send it out -- that's all.

This is a piece of cake. Go to our site, select Help Center, then select Customer Service from "How to Contact Us." We ask for your e-mail address & B&H order number. Your name & phone # are optional. Write a brief note and you'll get an RMA # via return e-mail and UPS will e-mail a merchandise return label soon there after. Couldn't be simpler.
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2008
    I decided to pull the trigger on Canon EF 135mm f/2L -- went to Amazon and it's not in stock so I figured I'll order it from B&H only to be greeted with the following message:

Welcome to B&H Photo!
    We are temporarily not accepting orders.

Online ordering will resume at Saturday 8:45 PM EDT.

What's this? Weekly backup/maintenance?

There are hot backups you know ... And you can always take orders even if your main database is being worked on -- that's what interface tables, APIs and data replication are for.
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2008
    I decided to pull the trigger on Canon EF 135mm f/2L -- went to Amazon and it's not in stock so I figured I'll order it from B&H only to be greeted with the following message:

Welcome to B&H Photo!
    We are temporarily not accepting orders.

Online ordering will resume at Saturday 8:45 PM EDT.

What's this? Weekly backup/maintenance?

There are hot backups you know ... And you can always take orders even if your main database is being worked on -- that's what interface tables, APIs and data replication are for.
    Your first visit to B&H? It is a religious observance. The owners are Orthodox (I think) Jews, and the store is closed every week for the Sabbath. They also do not accept orders on their web site during this time. They are also closed (both the store and web site) for all Jewish holidays. They post a prominent notice on their site about such closings.
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2008
    moose135 wrote:
    Your first visit to B&H? It is a religious observance. The owners are Orthodox (I think) Jews, and the store is closed every week for the Sabbath. They also do not accept orders on their web site during this time. They are also closed (both the store and web site) for all Jewish holidays. They post a prominent notice on their site about such closings.

Sorry, I had no idea -- thank you for explaining this -- I understand now.
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2008
    Sorry, I had no idea -- thank you for explaining this -- I understand now.
    You could get your order in right now, but don't wait until April 18 -- I was just on their site today, and it says they are closed for 9 days starting 4/18 for Passover.
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2008
    Thanks KED -- I already did thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2008
    Thanks KED -- I already did thumb.gif
    You won't regret it, and I hope you enjoy the heck out of your new toy!
  • Options
    vaio2006vaio2006 Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    If you're ever in Japan, I suggest Yodobashi Camera.
    262895350_JCQAK-M-1.jpg

Its all electronics from B-1 to the 8th or 9th floor!
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    moose135 wrote:

They are Hasidic Jews
  • Options
    smantromsmantrom Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited April 28, 2008
    First Visit to B&H
    They are Hasidic Jews

Without consideration of the religious and cultural association of the owners, the first trip to B&H for a photographer is certainly a religious experience. Any local photography shop would have a few Nikons, a few Canons, some lenses, some tripods, etc. When you go to B&H it's like you are walking into a living, breathing catalog. Not just a couple of these and a couple of those. *ALL OF IT*. And not only do they have it all, their salesmen (of course they are looking to hook you up) really know their stuff. They know what's compatible, what's not, what you're gonna be happy with and what you're going to cuss about. And they'll tell you.

I always walk out with a noticeably lighter bank account, but with this silly grin on my face. I always feel like I need to get some more money so I can get back inside, quick. If there's one thing I ever regret about going there to get my gear, it's how shockingly fast it happens. You walk in, you wait in line for a salesman (no kidding, you wait in line for a salesman), you discuss what you need, he shows you two or three alternatives (1 economy, 1 mid range, 1 high end) and discusses the qualities, you make your decision, you go to the cashier (and wait in line) and pay, you go to where they give you your merchandise and that's that. It's like it happens so fast and bam, you're out on 9th avenue again only this time wondering how you're gonna get all this stuff back home.

I love going there. I think they're terrific.
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2008
    smantrom wrote:
    Without consideration of the religious and cultural association of the owners, the first trip to B&H for a photographer is certainly a religious experience. Any local photography shop would have a few Nikons, a few Canons, some lenses, some tripods, etc. When you go to B&H it's like you are walking into a living, breathing catalog. Not just a couple of these and a couple of those. *ALL OF IT*. And not only do they have it all, their salesmen (of course they are looking to hook you up) really know their stuff. They know what's compatible, what's not, what you're gonna be happy with and what you're going to cuss about. And they'll tell you.

I always walk out with a noticeably lighter bank account, but with this silly grin on my face. I always feel like I need to get some more money so I can get back inside, quick. If there's one thing I ever regret about going there to get my gear, it's how shockingly fast it happens. You walk in, you wait in line for a salesman (no kidding, you wait in line for a salesman), you discuss what you need, he shows you two or three alternatives (1 economy, 1 mid range, 1 high end) and discusses the qualities, you make your decision, you go to the cashier (and wait in line) and pay, you go to where they give you your merchandise and that's that. It's like it happens so fast and bam, you're out on 9th avenue again only this time wondering how you're gonna get all this stuff back home.

I love going there. I think they're terrific.
    That is a perfectly evocative description of how I feel about them too. Very well stated! Who ever heard of so many people being enraptured by a retailer? Even in other "high passion" pursuits, like audio for instance, I've never seen so much attention paid to a particular retailer as opposed to the gear. Good for them! mwink.gif