Options

Where to buy?

Comments

• Options
    Rocketman766Rocketman766 Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Thank you CMASON, that will help in making my decision. Gives me a few more questions to ask the place where I purchase from (if new).
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    Thank you CMASON, that will help in making my decision. Gives me a few more questions to ask the place where I purchase from (if new).

I do most of my used off ebay.....because......99% of the time I can get a square trade warranty for 1 to 3 yrs......or I purchase from BH, Cameta and the likes and ask if they are selling any type of extended warranties for the used equpment..........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Rocketman766Rocketman766 Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    I seem to be full of questions lately... I searched this thread but did not find anything related to Bingo Cameras. Anyone ever purchased from them? I believe the saying... if its too good to be true, it probably is...ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    I seem to be full of questions lately... I searched this thread but did not find anything related to Bingo Cameras. Anyone ever purchased from them? I believe the saying... if its too good to be true, it probably is...ne_nau.gif
    Checking dpreview.com and resellerratings.com, they look to be yet another bait and switch site, suck you in with amazing prices, then tell you that you need to buy all sorts of "extras" (including things that are supposed to be included) then take months to credit back your payment when you try to cancel. I would stay with the reputable retailers mentioned in this thread.
  • Options
    henryphenryp Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2009
    cmason wrote:
    Blank warranty card is meaningless. the warranty card is simply a marketing tool, it does not imply any warranty, as that was implied when you purchased.
    Correct. In the US at least your dated store invoice/receipt is what you need for warranty service. In fact Nikon USA no longer includes mail-in warranty cards with their digital slr bodies.
    ...most of the gear is made in Japan (Canon and Nikon).
    Not so much Japan as various locations throughout Asia.
    robb01 wrote:
    I've purchased from BHphoto many times, they have phenomenal customer service.
    Thank you. This is very gratifying.
    moose135 wrote:
    Checking ... resellerratings.com...
    Always a wise course.
  • Options
    riseagainstriseagainst Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited September 17, 2009
    Okay so i will be purchasing a used canon 50d body hopefully in the next few weeks and i was wondering if amazon was a good place to buy from?
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins
    Okay so i will be purchasing a used canon 50d body hopefully in the next few weeks and i was wondering if amazon was a good place to buy from?
    I've never bought used equipment through Amazon, but have used them extensively for new items without a problem. Is Amazon selling the camera directly, or is it one of the partner vendors? That may make a difference in return policy, etc., if it isn't direct from Amazon.
  • Options
    The one's i am looking at appear to be from other vendors
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,806 moderator
    The one's i am looking at appear to be from other vendors
    Without knowing which vendors and the condition of sale, it's not possible to make a serious recommendation one way or the other.

For used equipment my recommendations for vendors are (in this order):

KEH.com
    Adorama.com
    BHphotovideo.com
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Without knowing which vendors and the condition of sale, it's not possible to make a serious recommendation one way or the other.

For used equipment my recommendations for vendors are (in this order):

KEH.com
    Adorama.com
    BHphotovideo.com

thanks ziggy!
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins

I find most everything on Amazon [except used books] over priced and you never havethe opportunity to buy a warrant from people like Mack or Square Trade......

one reason I keep buying off ebay.............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited September 18, 2009
    well they want around $999 for a 50d body which isn't to bad people on ebay want around $1110 or $1200 if i see a deal i will jump on it but i have yet to
  • Options
    shaun23shaun23 Banned Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 21, 2009
    I think if you wanna buy any digital device then you must go to shop having best products at appropriate price.
  • Options
    edited September 21, 2009
    shaun23 wrote:
    I think if you wanna buy any digital device then you must go to shop having best products at appropriate price.

Shaun23, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Care to share your experiences, good or bad?
    ziggy53
  • Options
    double_entendredouble_entendre Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2009
    Submitted more under the heading of "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

http://www.buymoreshopping.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=322

I called PayPal to ask if these guys were legit and got a gal who said they were, but I'm just not signing off on that. I've found zero reviews on the reseller page and Googling didn't turn up anything useful.

FWIW, I found them by doing a google shopping search and then sorting by price rather than relevance. Back to ebay and a D90 probably for me. deal.gif

Rancho
  • Options
    http://skypointdigital.com/skypoint/product_info.php?products_id=319895&

anyone one familiar with this site i like the price and it says it has a 1yr warrenty.. if not can anyone suggest some good sites looking for a canon 50d body only
  • Options
    Submitted more under the heading of "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

http://www.buymoreshopping.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=322

I called PayPal to ask if these guys were legit and got a gal who said they were, but I'm just not signing off on that. I've found zero reviews on the reseller page and Googling didn't turn up anything useful.

FWIW, I found them by doing a google shopping search and then sorting by price rather than relevance. Back to ebay and a D90 probably for me. deal.gif

Rancho

Rancho, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

This is for you and for "riseagainst":

Please, please do not buy according to ultimate lowest price.

If you know of a local vendor that you trust, that really does mean something. Otherwise, I suggest:

Adorama
    B&H
    Calumet
    Tallyn's
    Amazon (if you research the actual vendor or if it's from an Amazon warehouse)

Additionally many people do buy from Best Buy and Dell, but understand that these folks don't really understand photography.

If you purchase from the first list I mentioned you will get what you expect to get in terms of product and they understand photography and they understand service after the sale. Those are the only places I purchase the big ticket items from and the only places I recommend.

If you purchase from one of these cheap places you will often be mislead, accessories may be missing from the kit, or they may charge extra for what should be included, or they will try to hard sell you on things you don't want at ridiculous prices, etc.

Stay away from the cheapest prices, go with the people who can be trusted, live long and prosper. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited September 23, 2009
    http://skypointdigital.com/skypoint/product_info.php?products_id=319895&
    anyone one familiar with this site i like the price and it says it has a 1yr warrenty.. if not can anyone suggest some good sites looking for a canon 50d body only

See for yourself: http://www.resellerratings.com/store/SkyPointDigital
    And, you wanted an EOS 50D.
  • Options
    henryp wrote:

Sounds like there were a few unhappy campers haha
    But thanks guys i think i am going to either go with amazon or b&h 1drink.gif
  • Options
    double_entendredouble_entendre Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Rancho, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

This is for you and for "riseagainst":

Please, please do not buy according to ultimate lowest price.

--snip--

If you purchase from one of these cheap places you will often be mislead, accessories may be missing from the kit, or they may charge extra for what should be included, or they will try to hard sell you on things you don't want at ridiculous prices, etc.

Stay away from the cheapest prices, go with the people who can be trusted, live long and prosper. thumb.gif

Yup, that's pretty much what I'm expecting if I go with the Photoloon and the such. Sneaky, conniving, deceptive..... If you get what you ordered--a *big* if--well, score. If not, weeks and/or months of brain damage. "Yeah, Amex? Deal with this. Thanks."

Why is it that New Jersey is home to so many of these kinds of stores? I'll freely admit that my opinion of New Jersey was shaped by having to be rerouted to Newark for a four hour layover once, but it does seem to have more sleaze than the worst dumpy adult club in Las Vegas. mwink.gif They just have a 100% buyer-beware mentality or what?

Lookin' forward to getting a camera and taking some pics. The wife is in school and working full-time again, so I need to get out of the house and out of her hair. Between a D90 and building a view camera, I should be able to accomplish that! :ivar

Rancho
  • Options
    edited September 24, 2009
    Why is it that New Jersey is home to so many of these kinds of stores?
    Brooklyn has its fair share. See here.
  • Options
    EarthDogEarthDog Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    FWIW: Canon 7D on Amazon for $1,000
    I'm not endorsing or recommending this seller, but there is someone on Amazon claiming to be able to sell a brand new 7D for $1,000, plus $6.99 shipping. He does tell buyers to email him before making the order, though, and his seller name is "mouse in ping", which doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. But, if you can order and pay through Amazon's checkout system, you're covered by their guarantee, so it might be worth a try for the gamblers in the group.
    Once upon a time, they all lived happily ever after.
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2009
    EarthDog wrote:
    I'm not endorsing or recommending this seller, but there is someone on Amazon claiming to be able to sell a brand new 7D for $1,000, plus $6.99 shipping. He does tell buyers to email him before making the order, though, and his seller name is "mouse in ping", which doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. But, if you can order and pay through Amazon's checkout system, you're covered by their guarantee, so it might be worth a try for the gamblers in the group.

I believe that this seller has already been removed. Pure scam.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    budman101budman101 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2009
    TaDa wrote:
    And this worries me a little bit. Can anyone chime in as to whether or not buying an item from Amazon would still be covered by Canon's warranty? Is Amazon considered a licensed reseller?
    Everything I have purchased from Amazon came with a USA warranty. That said, I would rather buy from B&H if the price is equal. But, I see you are from NY so there is the sales tax issue.
    www.joemallis.com
    "Most time its not the gear that makes the shot"
  • Options
    EZPZEZPZ Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited February 4, 2010
    budman101 wrote:
    Everything I have purchased from Amazon came with a USA warranty. That said, I would rather buy from B&H if the price is equal. But, I see you are from NY so there is the sales tax issue.

Amazon (direct), B&H, Adorama. Anyone selling gear for less than the big three should be investigated thoroughly before buying. Those stores already cut costs immensely.
  • Options
    HelenOsterHelenOster Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    Message from Helen at Adorama Camera
    EZPZ wrote:
    Amazon (direct), B&H, Adorama. Anyone selling gear for less than the big three should be investigated thoroughly before buying. Those stores already cut costs immensely.

.... and of course, always check the customer ratings and feedback at www.reselleratings.com before you part with your cc details.......
    Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
    http://twitter.com/HelenOster
    Helen@adorama.com
    www.adorama.com
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    Pictureline
    Just want to add my $.02 worth to this thread (again):

I've been successful buying form:
    • B&H
    • 17th Street Photo
    • Adorama
    • Pictureline
    I've had zero problems with each and every one of the above.
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    and Calumet and Tallyns.

I must also say that Scott Quier's House of Gear had a great selection of cameras, lenses, and accessories, too.:D
  • Options
    skysailorskysailor Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    Bought a lens (Sigma 10-20) on eBay, from 47th street photo. Nice to deal with. On time, as advertised, and a damn site cheaper than buying it here in Canada. I'll "shop" there again.
    Lyle
    Gear: D200, G9, Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6, Nikkor 35 f/1.8, Vivitar Series 1 28-105 f/2.8-3.8, Sigma 18-200 f/3.5-6.3
  • Options
    rokklymrokklym Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    Anyone dealt with Camera Kings? They have a good price on the 7D with the kit lens
    http://www.nextag.com/Canon-EOS-7D-Digital-684226379/prices-html
    www.lonewolfstudios.us
    Olympus E3 w HLD4, E520, E510 11-22mm, 50-200mm,35mm macro, 14-42mm, 40-150, FL50R & FL36R
    http://rokklym.smugmug.com/
    We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life,to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment no matter what.
    - George Santayana, "The philosophy of travel"