Options

Where to buy?

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,809 moderator
    edited October 28, 2008
    PixNW wrote:
    I've been a pretty loyal B&H customer for years. I've never minded paying a little more because I felt the customer service justified paying a little more from time to time. In the past year I've purchased quite a bit from them, including some L lenses. I've ordered a few things from Calumet when B&H didn't have something I was looking for.

I've decided that I want a 50D. B&H seemed somewhat slow to get them in stock. I waited for them to get them in stock to see what happened with their pricing. I know they can't take a bunch of preorders and then lower the price right away, but I thought maybe they'd drop it a bit. There are quite a few other online sellers that have the camera in stock, and will sell it for anywhere from $819 to $1,066, including free shipping. I've called some of them to verify that they had the body in stock, and would be shipping directly, and they did. I asked if they were authorized sellers and if the factory warranty applied. A couple told me that I would get tracking information right away. If we were talking a $50 difference it would be a non-issue. Since it's much more than that I'm finding it hard to order from B&H. I just sent them an email to see if there was anything they could do with regard to price.

I'm ready to order this camera body. Any thoughts or advice would be most appreciated. I know there are a lot of B&H faithful here, and I'm pretty loyal to them to, but we're talking about a pretty significant business. I'm going to spend some time checking out some of the other dealers.

There are plenty of places that promise a price and then use a number of tactics to bump the price after the sale. Some of these low-ball prices are outright scams.

B&H is a great retailer and offers realistic prices and extremely good service after sale. Adorama is another good vendor. A lot of people use Amazon.

I purchased my Canon 40D from B&H and I highly recommend them.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    PixNWPixNW Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    There are plenty of places that promise a price and then use a number of tactics to bump the price after the sale. Some of these low-ball prices are outright scams.

B&H is a great retailer and offers realistic prices and extremely good service after sale. Adorama is another good vendor. A lot of people use Amazon.

I purchased my Canon 40D from B&H and I highly recommend them.

Wow. I recieved a very fast reply from B&H. They asked that I go to resellersrating.com to check out anyplace that I was considering ordering through. I checked out 6 of them. None of them had very good ratings or reviews. I believe that they may have saved me from a very unsatisfactory experience. Buyer beware.
    Canon 1D Mark IIN
    Canon 350D
    24-70 2.8L
    70-200 2.8L IS
    580EX II
    1.4x Extender
    Gitzo 3531 w/ RRS BH-55 Ballhead
    RRS L-Plate, quick release clamp and plates
  • Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    PixNW wrote:
    Wow. I recieved a very fast reply from B&H. They asked that I go to resellersrating.com to check out anyplace that I was considering ordering through. I checked out 6 of them. None of them had very good ratings or reviews. I believe that they may have saved me from a very unsatisfactory experience. Buyer beware.
    Undoubtedly I am a B&H booster, especially (a) on this site and (b) as far as American Express is concerned, but in the circumstances that you described in your original post, you have to ask yourself: given B&H's stature as one of the acknowledged meccas of photography retailing, wouldn't Canon make sure that they had all the supply that they asked for? For you, B&H did what they always (IMO) do -- responded to you promptly and honestly.
  • Options
    henryphenryp Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2008
    PixNW wrote:

Always glad to help. All the best.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2008
    Two things:

B&H, Adorama and I've also had excellent service from Beach Camera in New Jersey - fast shipping, pleasant on the phone, excellent prices, and quick to make good on any problems (I had a DOA and there was no trouble at all exchanging it). I was very happy with them, and wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.

Secondly, while Paypal may get a bad rap and a lot of people say they don't like them, they were TREMENDOUS when I had my first and only problem with an ebay purchase last year (not camera gear - a faucet for our kitchen remodel, in fact!). As soon as I sensed a problem I contacted them, and once I had waited a reasonable amount of time, I put my case forward and they investigated and almost immediately refunded my money (it was a clear case of fraud as the seller, after initial ok communication, not only went silent but actually deleted their account). I got the entire amount back.

Just a positive story to put out there....
  • Options
    4PawzCVT4PawzCVT Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited October 30, 2008
    Received D90 from Pyxis Camera
    OK I've been on pins and needles waiting to see if this camera would actually arrive, if it would be authentic (not grey market), and if the lens would all work properly. I just received the camera yesterday, and played with it a little bit last night and some more today. I am sooooo relieved to report that the camera is working GREAT, as well as the lens, and that the serial number is an authentic USA number. So its NOT grey market! wings.gif I will say that the accessories that come with the camera (the tripods, the cleaning kit, the memory card and reader) are all pretty low-quality stuff. I tossed the cleaning kit, not sure what to do with the tripods (may toss those too). I do have a fairly decent Lowepro 100 AW backpack. But its too small to accommodate all the stuff that I need to carry. So I am going to check out some better backpacks to use.

But, I do have to admit that Pyxis Camera has bent over backwards to make me satisfied. It took awhile to get the camera -- I had placed the order on the 14th and didn't actually get it until the 29th. I am honestly pleased with the performance that this company has done with my particular order. The people at customer service were all very nice and helpful whenever I called. I will be giving them positive feedback on Ebay.

Deb
  • Options
    goldenstarphotogoldenstarphoto Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    Where to sell
    Okay, I know this is the "Where to buy" thread....but I was wondering if anyone has experience in selling their used gear to either Adorama, B&H, or ???? Who pays the most? Whose the most honest?

I'm looking to sell my old 35mm equipment in order to buy a new digital lens. That's why I'm not posting anything here on DGRIN.

Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2009
    Okay, I know this is the "Where to buy" thread....but I was wondering if anyone has experience in selling their used gear to either Adorama, B&H, or ???? Who pays the most? Whose the most honest?

I'm looking to sell my old 35mm equipment in order to buy a new digital lens. That's why I'm not posting anything here on DGRIN.

Thanks in advance!

Doug and/or Cathy,

We do occasionally sell film equipment in our Flea Market. You might try it to see if there is interest. DGrin doesn't charge anything for either trying or selling.

B&H, Adorama and KEH will all consider purchasing your equipment but they will not give too much as they need to turn around and sell the equipment at profit. Film cameras don't generally bring too much nowdays unless you have something really special. Generally, the more they sell equipment for the more they might offer for yours.

Local newspaper classifieds can sometimes yield unexpected sales and a small classified is not terribly expensive.

Local colleges often have bulletin boards available and students may be interrested in fim equipment.

You might also try to sell equipment via a Craig's List if you have such a list locally. Those are sometimes good outlets if you actually meet the buyer. Again, it depends on what you have to sell.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    nomar219nomar219 Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited January 15, 2009
    I personally love both Adorama and BH.
  • Options
    TeddifishTeddifish Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited January 16, 2009
    Circuit City
    If there is any gear you've been lusting after at Circuit City, rumor is that the liquidation there starts tomorrow at ~50%.

If anyone goes, maybe they can scope it out and let us know.
    Sony A200, 20mm F2.8; 35 - 70 F4; 50mm F1.7; 28-135 F4; 24-70 f2.8z (and a backache)
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2009
    Good luck, but when they go to liquidation, the prices go back to list, then drop until the stock is gone. The liquidators work to make money to pay back the creditors, so they are far more interested in maximizing $$. They do have a limit to how long they will sell, often three weeks, so if you time it right, you can get a deal.
  • Options
    TeddifishTeddifish Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited January 17, 2009
    cmason wrote:
    Good luck, but when they go to liquidation, the prices go back to list, then drop until the stock is gone. The liquidators work to make money to pay back the creditors, so they are far more interested in maximizing $$. They do have a limit to how long they will sell, often three weeks, so if you time it right, you can get a deal.
    I don't know anything about how it works, so thanks for the info. I just wanted to pass along what I'd heard in case anyone could snag some gear they've been watching.
    Sony A200, 20mm F2.8; 35 - 70 F4; 50mm F1.7; 28-135 F4; 24-70 f2.8z (and a backache)
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2009
    I was told just last week by a CC store employee...that this is just rumors....I told him I'd wait to buy anything then until I know for sure.......He did say that the rumors had sparked sales.....................

Maybe their pulling a CompUSA and just pulling out of certain areas of the country.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Rocketman766Rocketman766 Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2009
    I was at CC this morning. They are liquidating everything in all US stores, Canada will still be in operations. Everything in the stores are 10% off right now with some select items at deeper discounts. While I was there, they could not tell me exactly what other products were discounted beyond 10%, but supposedly there was a "list of items" floating around that they were "trying" to get posted asap. The liquidation will continue until March/or until all items are sold for liquidation. I am watching a few things, but discounts right now are not all that great. Having said that, the line at the checkout counter was at least 40 people long the entire time I was there.
  • Options
    BobbyMarshallBobbyMarshall Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    I went to CC on the 19th, then again just a couple days ago..

I found absolutely no real deals, it was crowded though. Most of the photography gear was pretty much stripped away. All the display models were gone the cabinets were about half full. I went in looking for a Canon 100mm macro, and hoping I was going to find a 85 1.2 for under a grand.... no luck

All of the cameras and lens' I seen were still overpriced. Anything that you wanted was 10% off, but was still higher than even Best Buy, which is 2 blocks from CC.

They were selling 133x Lexar CF cards at the 300x UDMA prices. I walked over to the TV's looking at the Sony Bravia 46", it was around $2500, the exact same model my brother bought at costco for around $1700 just before x-mas.

I felt kinda sorry for some of the older, probably non internet savvy people there buying semi-major purchases thinking it was a "going out of Business" type deal for real, saving them big money.
    :(:

Absolutely no deals there that I could see..ne_nau.gif
    Canon 50D | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS | 70-200 f/2.8L IS
    2x White Lightning x1600 | 580 EXII
    Sekonic L-358 | 2x Pocket Wizard II | TC-80N3 Remote Shutter

• Options
    edited February 1, 2009
    On the topic of CC, I finally got what I thought was a decent deal on a lens. I wanted to put the 55-250 f4-5.6 IS in my bag just to have a longer zoom than the original kit lens IF I could get it for less than the internet prices. The original price was $329, WAY WAY too much.., saw it marked down to $235, now just same as a HIGH internet price. They had 5 of these lenses still in the case. I asked the guy why they were not selling and he didn't know. I told him they were too high priced, offered them $140 and they said no. I turned to walk away and they stopped me, said ok to $140.... Was it a steal? more than likely NOT, but I feel that I got a decent deal this time. Probably not the greatest lense, but I will be using it around the house and not for my sports shots....

Anyone ever buy from amphotoworld.com??? They seem to have good prices...
  • Options
    henryphenryp Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    Anyone ever buy from amphotoworld.com??? They seem to have good prices...

I think we all have. Read for yourself...
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2009
    doesn't look too good, sticking with the reputable (sp?) places...
  • Options
    mikeinlancmikeinlanc Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited February 5, 2009
    Circuit City
    Circuit City has dropped prices of cameras and lens 25%. Our local store carried 50D and 40D'splus the usual Rebel products. I just purchased my 50D so I am not in the market but if I was this is the place to get. That is until they are all gone. Good Luck.
    I just got alittle money and I'm ready to purchase my new 20D body. Where is a good place to get it? I do alot on B&H just wondering if there is anywhere else that is better/cheaper?
  • Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    Dear HenryP,

I love your store, and would gladyl buy from you, but I discovered to my chagrin that even when you use a transformer, plugging American lighting setups into a German electrical supply is a fire hazard, albeit one that is rather easily, shall we say, extinguished.

Unsurprisingly, I find myself in Europe sans lighting equipment. Is there some sort of store in Germany analagous to you guys? I will retunr once again to fidelity with B&H when I move back in a few years.

Thanks,

Justi
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    Justiceiro wrote:
    Dear HenryP,

I love your store, and would gladyl buy from you, but I discovered to my chagrin that even when you use a transformer, plugging American lighting setups into a German electrical supply is a fire hazard, albeit one that is rather easily, shall we say, extinguished.

Unsurprisingly, I find myself in Europe sans lighting equipment. Is there some sort of store in Germany analagous to you guys? I will retunr once again to fidelity with B&H when I move back in a few years.

Thanks,

Justi

For Real. I'd even go to France if necessary. That's how desperate I am.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    clcoroniosclcoronios Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    We have had a 20D for quite a while - with a battery pack - with NO issues whatsoever. It's our backup now (we shoot with 5Ds) but when we need it, it's ready & willing. Chin up!!!!

Carol
    Carol Lynn Coronios
    As You Like It Productions
    Equine photography in the northeast
    Chatham, NY
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2009
    Where are you seeing anything about CC? I just checked online and all I could come up with was the bankruptcy notice.
    Carol Lynn Coronios
    Chatham, NY
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2009
    another CC post..
    You have to go into the stores. The website is down as you noticed. And on that note, do you own math, don't count on them for this. I took a few items up to the counter that were marked as 40% off and they rang up as 20% off. The person behind the counter said whatever price the register rings up is what they sell it for....I told them I would be back to check later...they said they could/would not correct the error.
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2009
    oh - thanks for that hint!!! I'll take a calculator!
    C
    Carol Lynn Coronios
    Chatham, NY
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    Justi......have you found any stores in Germany......I do not know how large MannHeim is but had a feeling it would have some decent photog stores.......ready for a train ride........Prague.....had several full blown photog stores.....I perused their Phone book one night when I was bored and sitting in my loft.........In Prague...........

Also Czech with the various EXPats website forums.....expats Mannheim, Prague, germany, Czech Republic a lot times the Expats can help you find what you need...............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2009
    I have had two very positive experiences with two photo stores I have never used before:

Samy's Camera in California (www.samys.com): I just ordered my new E-620 and battery grip from them because Olympus recommended them to me. They provided excellent personalized service, free shipping, and I got phone calls and/or emails updating me on my order. Very trustworthy place if you want some real person-to-person service, and their prices are pretty comparable to stores like B&H and Adorama.

Beach Camera (www.beachcamera.com): I bought two Olympus flashes from them in the past few weeks because they too were recommended by Olympus. I ordered the flashes for about $15 less than most places were selling them. They had free shipping and arrived at my door less than 72 hours after I placed the order. I ordered these two flashes on two separate days and had the same results with both.

These two stores are now on the top of my list. I now have 5 stores I would whole-heartedly recommend (in no order):

-Samy's Camera
    -Beach Camera
    -Pictureline
    -B&H Photo
    -Adorama
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2009
    krissears wrote:
    buy 20D body on ebay or amazon..these are always the best place where you can shop safely.. by that your money won't be wasted and you're well-informed about the product that you're going to buy..

Krissears, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

I'm not sure that I agree about EBay being perfectly safe, but I would remind everyone that we have our own Flea Market and I believe I just saw some used equipment for sale. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2009
    Hope this is the right place to post this, but I think it fits in. I am about to do some serious upgrading and am concerned with warranties and used equipment. I do not have anything against used equipment but I would like to know if buying a used camera or lens that has a "blank" warranty card really means anything. If the lens/camera is over a year old, does that get you anything? Also, is there really a difference in quality between USA and Imported gear (Canon)? I assume if the ad says it includes a one year USA warranty, that means its a USA build, not imported. Thanks.ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Hope this is the right place to post this, but I think it fits in. I am about to do some serious upgrading and am concerned with warranties and used equipment. I do not have anything against used equipment but I would like to know if buying a used camera or lens that has a "blank" warranty card really means anything. If the lens/camera is over a year old, does that get you anything? Also, is there really a difference in quality between USA and Imported gear (Canon)? I assume if the ad says it includes a one year USA warranty, that means its a USA build, not imported. Thanks.ne_nau.gif

Blank warranty card is meaningless. the warranty card is simply a marketing tool, it does not imply any warranty, as that was implied when you purchased. Some folks like to send them in so they can get emails and alerts from the manufacturer, but you can do that online (at least at Canon).

The USA vs Import is important. No, it does not mean where it was manufactured, as most of the gear is made in Japan (Canon and Nikon). What it means is where the warranty is honored. If you buy an Import camera, you may not be able to have it serviced in the US. Read this.