Options

Where to buy?

Comments

• Options
    henryphenryp Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2008
    They are Hasidic Jews
    While it is true our owner and some employees are Hasidic Jews, some of us are non-Hasidic Jews and some are non-Jews. We have 1500+ employees and our staff is as diverse as NYC itself.

BTW, thanks to KED and smantrom for your kind words.
  • Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2008
    henryp wrote:
    BTW, thanks to KED and smantrom for your kind words.
    Henry, nobody on this planet, including my wife and maybe even my kids, has received so much of my money so willingly! I was in NYC today (I live and work in the 'burbs) and it was all I could do not to detour down to the store just to ogle, but I know where ogling leads, and I have to be done for now.
  • Options
    BostonwolfBostonwolf Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 10, 2008
    webwizard wrote:
    I've always bought stuff from B&H over the web and never had a problem. They may not be the cheapest but they deliver on their promises and service. When I had to talk to someone, you alway get a live person and they actually know what they are talking about.

I recently moved to the NYC area. Yesterday I had to buy some CF chips for my 20d and used the opportunity to go to the store on my lunch hour. What a trip! It's like toyland for grownups. The place was busy but there was no lengthy waiting and no shortage of "can I help you's"?

B&H is great both live at the store and online.

I will say this about online stores. If you see a really great price, something hundreds less than B&H or Adorama then your "scam" radar should be going off.

If the site (like Abe's of Maine) is actually based in Brooklyn, RUN AWAY and do not do business with them. I made the mistake of doing so with one of those firms. First they call you and try to sell you crappy batteries, filters, etc and will cancel the order if you refuse.

Second, a few days after I placed my order I get a call from Western Union that someone in West Virginia is claiming to be me and trying to wire money from my credit card. Since I'm in Boston, MA, it clearly wasn't me and they stopped them, but I needed to get the card re-issued.

I wish I could remember the name of the firm I dealt with but I can't.
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    vaio2006 wrote:
    If you're ever in Japan, I suggest Yodobashi Camera.

Its all electronics from B-1 to the 8th or 9th floor!

I love Yodobashi Camera :) Bic Camera is also very similar to Yodobashi in being a multi floor huge electronics store.

261919335_ttQnj-M.jpg
  • Options
    sanakasanaka Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2008
    More B&H props...
    Even in other "high passion" pursuits, like audio for instance, I've never seen so much attention paid to a particular retailer as opposed to the gear. Good for them!
    Guess what? B&H is as much DaBomb for professional audio as they are for photography equipment. Music and audio is my #1 passion and their pro audio catalog occupies a place of honor on my desk.

As for buying photo gear and the illusion of big bargains, here's my story:

I researched and found a camera I wanted (a nice film p&s at the time). B&H, who I knew to be reputable, nonetheless wanted $80 more than "Brooklyn Joe's Camera Joint" or whoever, so I tried to play the savvy horse trader and talk them down, to no avail. The B&H phone salesman warned me there would be some catch at the other place, but I haughtily held firm and said I was going for the better price. The salesman's prophetic last words to me: "We'll be tawkin' to ya." Of course with an inimitable NY accent. I called Brooklyn, brazenly braved all the classic hard scam tactics, agreed to pay separately for things that were supposed to be packaged in the kit, and ended up saving only about $20 over B&H. Still pretending my dignity was intact for saving $20, I awaited my discounted new camera. It took like a month to arrive, was gray market, and heavily used. Eventually, my credit card company simply appropriated the money back from the bank account of this seller. This took 2 months of documentation and red tape. When I called B&H back to finally order my camera, I tried to find the salesman who had predicted this so I could offer humble apologies. I couldn't find him, but I told my story and made a point to apologize anyway. This was 1997 or 98.

The whole job of the person I dealt with at my credit card was dealing with the ripoffs of all the shady camera dealers. At this time she said the only good mail-order company was B&H. The rest, she said matter-of-factly, were "all criminals". A harsh assessment that thankfully is less true today. Still though, when I have a purchase to make B&H is always my first stop, and usually my last.

Peace,
    Sanaka
    WooHooo! New dSLR!:barb : Canon XSi / 450D
    Kit lens for now: 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS
  • Options
    KaganKagan Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2008
    Just wanted to add my praise. For 2 months I have been going every night, checking all the big name places for the price of the Canon 20-200 2.8 IS. I was also googling Canon Rebate every night trying to wait for the rebates to come. Finally my impatience got the best of me and I ordered the lens from B+H on Friday. Guess when the rebates come out??? ne_nau.gif

I messaged Henry and asked if they would make an adjustment for the $125.00, and said I would take it as a credit. gift certificate, just hoping they would make it right. I was prepared to have someone tell me no despite all the good things I had heard.

I am happy to say Henry messaged me back right away as well as the customer service person and refunded my credit card the difference without any grief at all. I want to thank them here where others can see it. And now I am preparing to order some new CF cards and a grip. I also want to mention that I didnt pay for 2nd business day shipping but opted for the 4-5 day option. Fridays order was at my house Monday in time for my sons game! Thanks again Henry and B+H!
    Kagan
  • Options
    KETCH ROSSIKETCH ROSSI Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    I have shopped just about any were globally, and in several stores here in the US, among wihch RITZ, 17Street, Amazon, and more, but by far B&H has been getting mmost of my business for years, and in the many thousands of hood old cash, NEVER a single problem, I depended on them more then once for overnight shipping when on a tight and sudden schedule, never been disappointed.

ciao
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2008
    Kagan wrote:
    I am happy to say Henry messaged me back right away as well as the customer service person and refunded my credit card the difference without any grief at all.

Now you can afford to buy me the new iPod you know I want. :-)
    Seriously, we're glad you're happy.
  • Options
    Blondn6ftBlondn6ft Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    Pyxis Camera ??
    Take a look at this find on EBAY.
    Pyxis Camera ...
    Nothing that I could find on Resellerrating.com

I know it has expried but they have lots of similar "packages"

Is it too good to be true ? How can they sell these items at this price ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290235816360&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,809 moderator
    edited June 9, 2008
    Blondn6ft wrote:
    Take a look at this find on EBAY.
    Pyxis Camera ...
    Nothing that I could find on Resellerrating.com

I know it has expried but they have lots of similar "packages"

Is it too good to be true ? How can they sell these items at this price ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290235816360&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching

Do your homework. On EBay you can check the ratings for the seller. Since this seller doesn't seem to have a seperate Internet site, they appear to work only through EBay, you may not have as much recourse if there is a problem.

While their rating is not bad, they have had 12 negative feedbacks, and all 12 have been in the last month! This could be an indication of some serious issues, or it might not be anything. As it is, I would not recommend them as being worth the risk, but I tend to go for the least risk on major purchases.

I can easily recommend:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/
    http://www.adorama.com/
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Blondn6ftBlondn6ft Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    Thanks Ziggy ... trust me over the 24hrs I have read just about all of there feedback! The negatives were almost all based on shipping and resolved in the end through UPS or other provider.

I too have shopped with BH before and LOVE them ... the decission this time is financial and it appears I can get bit more bang for my buck with this other company. I'm not sold 100% yet ... I'll keep ya posted !

ziggy53 wrote:
    Do your homework. On EBay you can check the ratings for the seller. Since this seller doesn't seem to have a seperate Internet site, they appear to work only through EBay, you may not have as much recourse if there is a problem.

While their rating is not bad, they have had 12 negative feedbacks, and all 12 have been in the last month! This could be an indication of some serious issues, or it might not be anything. As it is, I would not recommend them as being worth the risk, but I tend to go for the least risk on major purchases.

I can easily recommend:

• Options
    snowalkersnowalker Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2008
    B&h
    Definetely I prefer B&H. The prices are little bit high but they do a good job, warranty, good products...
  • Options
    HDShooterHDShooter Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    Anyone worked with dbuys.com?
    I have gone thru B&H and Calumet before, in fact my 200-400mm F4 is showing up tomorrow from them but dbuy's has the Nikon D3 for $4095.00!

http://www.dbuys.com/product/?44702&cart_id=28117309

Thanks! need to order Monday morning. 8/11/08
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2008
    HDShooter wrote:
    Anyone worked with dbuys.com?
    I have gone thru B&H and Calumet before, in fact my 200-400mm F4 is showing up tomorrow from them but dbuy's has the Nikon D3 for $4095.00!

http://www.dbuys.com/product/?44702&cart_id=28117309

Thanks! need to order Monday morning. 8/11/08

I don't think I can recommend them:

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2115.html
    ziggy53
  • Options
    mikeb380mikeb380 Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2008
    ebay ratings and Pxyis Camera
    Blondn6ft wrote:
    Thanks Ziggy ... trust me over the 24hrs I have read just about all of there feedback! The negatives were almost all based on shipping and resolved in the end through UPS or other provider.

I too have shopped with BH before and LOVE them ... the decission this time is financial and it appears I can get bit more bang for my buck with this other company. I'm not sold 100% yet ... I'll keep ya posted !
    I did a search and found Pyxis Camera on reseller ratings --- http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Pyxis_Camera_pyxis_camera_pyxiscamera

and they have an exellent rating:
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Lifetime Rating:[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 9.23 / 10
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Six-Month Rating:[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 9.23 / 10

I read the reviews and all but one were very positive. It seems that the company is honest and provides what they claim. Some people complain about shipping but they ship UPS and a signature is required, which is one reason it takes so long. Also I have not found UPS to be very reliable and much prefer FedEx shipping or even USPS Priority mail.

Check them out. Ziggy, you have to read between the lines at ebay as many people don't read the material on the site provided by the seller and then blame the seller for "problems" such as expensive shipping or shipping taking too long. There is no law saying you have to pay the seller's shipping price and it is quoted on site or I send email to seller and require a price before buying. Some of the negatives on ebay are pretty petty.

Michael eek7.gif
    [/FONT]
    Michael :-)
    http://www.tabblo.com/studio/view/tabblos/mikeb380/
    ========
    Photography: the art of seeing the uncommon in the common.
    +++++++
    CANON EOS XT- 350D - Sigma 28 - 80 mm macro, MC Zenitar EF 3.5/16MM
    CANON F1n, Canon FD 28mm 2.8 SC, Canon FL 200mm 3.5
    Jupiter 9 2.8/85mm used on bellows for EOS & F1 Bellows is M42 thread with adaptors for both cameras.
    Tair 135mm 2.8
    Kiev 88 6x6 camera - Mir 38B 3.5/65mm, Arsat B 2.8/80mm, J26V 250 mm tele
    16 various FSU & German cameras
  • Options
    KillswitchKillswitch Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited September 4, 2008
    g
    hi

anyone can recommend me a site where i could find ef 50mm f1.4 usm?
    i've read whole this thread, and yeah i know b&h and adorama are fine, but they dont have it...it looks like its not being made or what...so i ended up on two sites beach camera and digitalfotoclub, never made any business there. if you know of any other reliable source where i could find this lens i would be very thankful.

+if this thread could have been summed up (or cleaned up, since not everything is on stock on those 2 reliable stores..) somehow, because it took me nearly 2 hours to get through. there is too much gloryfication of b&h and less other good sources mentioned :(

thanks
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2008
    Killswitch wrote:
    hi

i've read whole this thread, and yeah i know b&h and adorama are fine, but they dont have it...it looks like its not being made or what...so i ended up on two sites beach camera and digitalfotoclub, never made any business there. if you know of any other reliable source where i could find this lens i would be very thankful.

+if this thread could have been summed up (or cleaned up, since not everything is on stock on those 2 reliable stores..) somehow, because it took me nearly 2 hours to get through. there is too much gloryfication of b&h and less other good sources mentioned :(

thanks

Sorry you had a negative experience but when those places are both out of something at the same time, there's a reason for it. We just don't know the reason.

Amazon can be a pretty good vector for other vendors in addition to their own warehouse. I don't start with them, but I have used them.

Amazon says that they can get that lens from OneCall, and that is a pretty good vendor that I would trust.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    LKN DaveLKN Dave Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    Amazon.com
    Killswitch wrote:
    hi

thanks

There is always amazon.com Link: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00009XVCZ/ref=pd_luc_mri?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance
  • Options
    LKN DaveLKN Dave Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Sorry you had a negative experience but when those places are both out of something at the same time, there's a reason for it. We just don't know the reason.

Amazon can be a pretty good vector for other vendors in addition to their own warehouse. I don't start with them, but I have used them.

Amazon says that they can get that lens from OneCall, and that is a pretty good vendor that I would trust.

You can get it directly from amazon cheaper. 331 vs 371 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00009XVCZ/ref=pd_luc_mri?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2008
    LKN Dave wrote:

Unfortunately that link shows an "Out of Stock". It looks like sources are drying up.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:

I took a look at Adorama's site, and they show the lens in question is on back order, so it may difficult to find it at any of the usual vendors right now.
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2008
    mikeb380 wrote:
    I did a search and found Pyxis Camera on reseller ratings --- http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Pyxis_Camera_pyxis_camera_pyxiscamera
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    I've never heard of them, which doesn't mean they're legit or not, but note they only have 16 reviews and reseller says, "This company does NOT yet subscribe to our Merchant Member Program to monitor feedback & respond to customer issues."
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2008
    moose135 wrote:
    I took a look at Adorama's site, and they show the lens in question is on back order, so it may difficult to find it at any of the usual vendors right now.

yeah i am waiting on that back order there, i hope they will have it soon.
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:

i didnt had any negative experience with buying photo stuff on web. i just say that those 2 places dont have what i want. and thus i would love to see other sources where i could find photo merchandise, where i wont get ripped of. and there is too much of the same story about b&h and adorama other sources are in minimal here. (for example OneCall was not mentioned anywhere else than in your reply on my post) thats all :)
  • Options
    4PawzCVT4PawzCVT Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited October 22, 2008
    Pyxis Camera = Shop Sunshine?
    Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and pretty much a rookie as far as SLR cameras go. I'm diving in head-first though, and have purchased a Nikon D90 from Pyxis Camera. Unfortunately, I'm a complete IDIOT and didn't do a reviews search on them before placing my order. So I'm hoping that everything goes ok with them but am prepared to take whatever action necessary if it doesn't.

Any ways, my question was this -- is Pyxis Camera (on Ebay) the same seller as Shop Sunshine? I've seen that they have about a 99.2% positive feedback rating on Ebay, but have found out that it's because people who have problems are coerced into putting positive feedback about the company before they get assistance in resolving their problem. So it's kind of like false advertising if you rely on the high percentage of positive feedback for them on Ebay.

And, do you think that purchasing a Nikon D90 is going way over my head as a beginner to DSLR's? I'm planning on taking a digital photography course with my local college so I can learn the in's and out's of it all.

Thanks for your help with this!
    Deb
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2008
    4PawzCVT wrote:
    Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and pretty much a rookie as far as SLR cameras go. I'm diving in head-first though, and have purchased a Nikon D90 from Pyxis Camera. Unfortunately, I'm a complete IDIOT and didn't do a reviews search on them before placing my order. So I'm hoping that everything goes ok with them but am prepared to take whatever action necessary if it doesn't.

Any ways, my question was this -- is Pyxis Camera (on Ebay) the same seller as Shop Sunshine? I've seen that they have about a 99.2% positive feedback rating on Ebay, but have found out that it's because people who have problems are coerced into putting positive feedback about the company before they get assistance in resolving their problem. So it's kind of like false advertising if you rely on the high percentage of positive feedback for them on Ebay.

And, do you think that purchasing a Nikon D90 is going way over my head as a beginner to DSLR's? I'm planning on taking a digital photography course with my local college so I can learn the in's and out's of it all.

Thanks for your help with this!
    Deb

Deb, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

I regard the purchase of a dSLR as a significant purchase and a type of short-term investment towards specific goals. I recommend purchase from only very reliable sources and especially sources with good service after sale.

The particular sources I use and recommend are:

These are places I trust and I don't trust easily.

That said, the Reseller Ratings for Pyxis Camera are pretty good:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Pyxis_Camera_pyxis_camera_pyxiscamera
    ziggy53
  • Options
    4PawzCVT4PawzCVT Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited October 23, 2008
    Nikon D90 & Pyxis Camera
    Well I already have placed the order with Pyxis and am waiting for the camera to arrive. I'm a little aggravated because I placed the order on 10/14, got an email with a tracking number and a scheduled delivery date of 10/22. I stayed home ALL day yesterday waiting for UPS to deliver the package but they never showed. On the UPS site, the tracking number I was given shows that UPS has only received the billing information -- not the actual package. I sent an email to Pyxis saying that if I don't receive the camera by early next week, I will be cancelling the order and purchasing it from somewhere else. I guess all I can do right now is wait and see what happens. Payment was made through PayPal so hopefully either they or my bank can help me to get the money back, if Pyxis fights a refund.

Deb
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    Let us know what you find...I am with ziggy, I only buy camera gear from a local store or B&H. One odd thing about the reseller ratings for this vendor is that they have an amazingly high rating, and all the 'votes' are within a 3 month window. Seems fishy to me, even Amazon doesn't have this high a rating. (though B&H does)
  • Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    Let us know what you find...I am with ziggy, I only buy camera gear from a local store or B&H. One odd thing about the reseller ratings for this vendor is that they have an amazingly high rating, and all the 'votes' are within a 3 month window. Seems fishy to me, even Amazon doesn't have this high a rating. (though B&H does)
    Second all of that (and am not surprised that B&H tops Amazon and maybe everyone else) but what I'd like to add is this: Deb, and many other people, are making the first step into a significant investment -- the camera body (no clue in this case about whether there's a lens kit involved). So how much are you going to save with this unknown, relative to the "tried and true"? $50? $100? Or put another way, 5%? 15%? For my "base investment" at least (and in my case for most of my significant add-ons), that's an insurance premium I am willing to pay -- not just to protect against ripoffs, but to assure future customer service as well. That's just my opinion.
  • Options
    PixNWPixNW Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    50D Pricing
    I've been a pretty loyal B&H customer for years. I've never minded paying a little more because I felt the customer service justified paying a little more from time to time. In the past year I've purchased quite a bit from them, including some L lenses. I've ordered a few things from Calumet when B&H didn't have something I was looking for.

I've decided that I want a 50D. B&H seemed somewhat slow to get them in stock. I waited for them to get them in stock to see what happened with their pricing. I know they can't take a bunch of preorders and then lower the price right away, but I thought maybe they'd drop it a bit. There are quite a few other online sellers that have the camera in stock, and will sell it for anywhere from $819 to $1,066, including free shipping. I've called some of them to verify that they had the body in stock, and would be shipping directly, and they did. I asked if they were authorized sellers and if the factory warranty applied. A couple told me that I would get tracking information right away. If we were talking a $50 difference it would be a non-issue. Since it's much more than that I'm finding it hard to order from B&H. I just sent them an email to see if there was anything they could do with regard to price.

I'm ready to order this camera body. Any thoughts or advice would be most appreciated. I know there are a lot of B&H faithful here, and I'm pretty loyal to them to, but we're talking about a pretty significant business. I'm going to spend some time checking out some of the other dealers.
    Canon 1D Mark IIN
    Canon 350D
    24-70 2.8L
    70-200 2.8L IS
    580EX II
    1.4x Extender
    Gitzo 3531 w/ RRS BH-55 Ballhead
    RRS L-Plate, quick release clamp and plates