Where to buy?

Comments

• cueballcueball Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited January 5, 2006
    where is a safe place to buy a camera online
    I need help i am looking to buy a nikon d50 next month. I was talking with some of my friends at work and he was looking at a d70 and he said do some reshrech about the place that i was going to get it from. it is called
    www.infinitiphoto.com so i did some resherch and everyone was conplaing about them i look at a few outher compines and everyone i look at everyone was complaing. and a few stories i have read that the camera did not come with battery or charger. so please tell me where would be a safe place to order it from online i am looking for the most i can get with my money thanks for you help

cueball
    Travisclap.gif
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2006
    cueball wrote:
    I need help i am looking to buy a nikon d50 next month. I was talking with some of my friends at work and he was looking at a d70 and he said do some reshrech about the place that i was going to get it from. it is called
    www.infinitiphoto.com so i did some resherch and everyone was conplaing about them i look at a few outher compines and everyone i look at everyone was complaing. and a few stories i have read that the camera did not come with battery or charger. so please tell me where would be a safe place to order it from online i am looking for the most i can get with my money thanks for you help

cueball
    Travisclap.gif

Travis,

Take a look at the sticky threads at the top of this forum (Cameras).
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2006
    Oh, from whom to buy??
    Well, I have successfully executed on-line purchases from NewEgg, B&H, and digitalfotoclub. Most of my computer related purchases go to NewEgg and all but 2 of my camera related trade has been with B&H (about 6 now).

The NewEgg transactions have all be exemplory - no trubles at all.clap.gif

Same and then some for the B&H. clap.gif

I had a small problem with digitalfotoclub on the first transaction. A phone call got that problem squared away in short order and all other transactions have been fine.

For some time, I have been looking for a deal on the Epson P-2000. When I read the post (I think #47) about PictureLine.com, I went looking there. They have it in stock and at a very good price. I went to ResellerRatings.com and they look ok there as well. OK, I'll give them a try, especially as their price is so good.

I'll report back when the order arrives with a update on this.
    edited February 15, 2006
    Experience with PictureLine.com
    For some time, I have been looking for a deal on the Epson P-2000. When I read the post (I think #47) about PictureLine.com, I went looking there. They have it in stock and at a very good price. I went to ResellerRatings.com and they look ok there as well. OK, I'll give them a try, especially as their price is so good.

I'll report back when the order arrives with a update on this.
    Though it is usually not good form to reply to your own post, as promised, this is the "report back" on my experience with PictureLine.com.

The P-2000 arrived when it was promised, packed perfectly, and in perfect condition. All manufacturer items where in the box. After the obligatory "charge the battery before use" step, turned on the P-2000 and all was great.

The e-mails from PictureLine kept me updated on the progress on the order. When they shipped it, they e-mailed me with a direct link to the carrier web site so I could track the order as it moved across the US.

Summary - Very good experience.:):
  • PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2006
    Well I have had excellent transactions with:

Adorama
    B&H
    Cameta Camera
    and
    Digitalfotoclub (gasp)

I guess I have covered the ABCD's of camera stores! Weird huh?
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2006
    Pictureline and B&H are by far my favorites. If you want more personal service go with Pictureline, though sometimes B&H is a bit less expensive. They are both very reliable. B&H is sort of the ultimate superstor in the photo world.
    I use to run a photo studio in Utah, and Pictureline has a fabulous store there. When you call B&H they are usually very helpful. If you have complex questions, Pictureline is the most helpful place. You actually talk to salespeople, and they are actual photographers who use the equipment.
    Pictureline is located in Salt Lake City, and B&H is in New York. Both ship UPS, and both will mail same day or next day if it is too late in the day.

www.pictureline.com
    www.bhphoto.com
  • KAMKAM Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited March 12, 2006
    B&h?
    I'm so new here...as I was just born into the world of photography last year. I'm still learning and taking loads of pictures but boy I have a whole world of information to learn...exciting for me. Tell you please tell me what is B&H?
    Thanks so much
    Kindest Regards,
    KAM
    ne_nau.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2006
    KAM wrote:
    I'm so new here...as I was just born into the world of photography last year. I'm still learning and taking loads of pictures but boy I have a whole world of information to learn...exciting for me. Tell you please tell me what is B&H?
    Thanks so much
    Kindest Regards,
    KAM
    ne_nau.gif

Universally regarded as the finest camera store on the planet.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home/
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2006
    B&H. thumb.gif

Flawless transaction and shipping to Canada. No Visa verification, no hassle. Excellent!
  • Helen SHelen S Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited June 5, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Universally regarded as the finest camera store on the planet.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home/

Yes, even Down Under, B&H has an exemplary reputation and where I'll be purchasing my first "L" lens from. :D

Just a curiosity question in my first post to this forum. Canon USA are currently giving rebates on Canon lenses bought in the USA. Would the same rebate apply to someone buying a USA lens from overseas and sending the appropriate details back to Canon in the USA?

Hmmm, hope that made sense. headscratch.gif

Cheers, Helen
    www.ospreyphotography.com

Canon cameras, Lenses and accessories.
    edited June 5, 2006
    Helen S wrote:
    Yes, even Down Under, B&H has an exemplary reputation and where I'll be purchasing my first "L" lens from. :D

Just a curiosity question in my first post to this forum. Canon USA are currently giving rebates on Canon lenses bought in the USA. Would the same rebate apply to someone buying a USA lens from overseas and sending the appropriate details back to Canon in the USA?

Hmmm, hope that made sense. headscratch.gif

Cheers, Helen
    Yeah, it made sense. But, I don't have an answer to your question. I'm sure someone like Andy will though!
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited June 6, 2006
    looking at the terms and conditions:

it has to be bought at a canon dealer in the us-

the check will be mailed to a us address or us military address-

I could see where you could possibly run it through someone in the us or their address, possibly!, but more than likely it could be considered fraudulent-

to me, the only way to do it would be for someone like me to buy it and send off for the rebate and you pay me for the lens less the rebate, which sounds like a rpita-
    and you've got double shipping-

george
  • Helen SHelen S Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited June 8, 2006
    Thanks for that George... kinda figured it would probably be that way, but it's nice to dream.

Just a shame that Canon can't make it a worldwide rebate... as long as you got an article from an authorised Canon reseller. Might have to throw that suggestion up to them. mwink.gif
    www.ospreyphotography.com

Canon cameras, Lenses and accessories.
  • dgrinnersmiledgrinnersmile Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 22, 2006
    I shopped at ebuybatteries.com, they have higher capacity digital camera, camcorder Non OEM batteries, price is not the cheapest, but it is reasonable for a liable battery.
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2006
    I've had good experiences with Beach Camera
    Last item I ordered from them showed up on the doorstep in 2 days. Perfect transaction, easy to navigate on the website. No tax, no shipping charges. Saved a good penny. My 2 cents (no, wait, that only leaves me with one).rolleyes1.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • mikeb380mikeb380 Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited September 2, 2006
    Done business with:
    Just a suggestion to the mod's we should start a sticky thread on vendors we've had dealings with and were pleased, not pleased with. This will help new members.

I've had dealings with Adorama and Kiev Camera and have been very pleased with both. I called Kiev and had a 16mm lens sent to me and he sent it overnight with no surcharge. I didn't even ask for it. Adorama is very quick to communicate and I've had no problems with them.
    Michael clap.gif
    Michael :-)
    http://www.tabblo.com/studio/view/tabblos/mikeb380/
    ========
    Photography: the art of seeing the uncommon in the common.
    +++++++
    CANON EOS XT- 350D - Sigma 28 - 80 mm macro, MC Zenitar EF 3.5/16MM
    CANON F1n, Canon FD 28mm 2.8 SC, Canon FL 200mm 3.5
    Jupiter 9 2.8/85mm used on bellows for EOS & F1 Bellows is M42 thread with adaptors for both cameras.
    Tair 135mm 2.8
    Kiev 88 6x6 camera - Mir 38B 3.5/65mm, Arsat B 2.8/80mm, J26V 250 mm tele
    16 various FSU & German cameras
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2006
    cmr164 wrote:
    Adorama has only had a passing reference in this thread and they really deserve more mention. They have ended up getting all my business from B&H in the past 1.5 years. Customer service is superb with personal service by people with names who email and call you when there are issues.

I have to agree. I would say that service is just as good at B&H, and I would go only for price and availability on-line as a factor for deciding between them, but when I need advice or help I go to adorama. It's so much smaller and more personal than B&H, but just as professional. At B&H I have to find the right line, and then stand in it behind 8 other guys in order to talkt o somebody (not that htis is bad, all the reps arer working, not loafing). But in adorama I just walk in, and they take care of me.

They are also not hard sellers (usually). I actually had a guy talk me down once from a $250 portable drive to a $160 portable drive. That's the kind of service that brigns me back.

I guess I mean this: I know what the guy who sells me stuff at Adorama looks like, and would recognize him on the street. Not the same for B&H.

If it's framing stuff, then I go to HUDSON CAMERAon Newark Avenue in JErsey city. Pete, the owner, is super friendly and one of the last classic camera stores left in Jersey. I can't really buy big ticket items from him, due to price differences (he's not competitive with the big guys) but I throw him my film biz and my little stuff, and occasionally pick up used equipment there. Because I like him, I like his cat, I spend an hour tlaking shop with him every time I visit, and the shop has been there since 1947. So if I'm buying an L lens, I go to adorama. If I am buying a polarizing filter, I go to Hudson.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
    edited October 1, 2006
    I remember Hudson
    Justiceiro wrote:
    If it's framing stuff, then I go to HUDSON CAMERAon Newark Avenue in JErsey city.

Funny, I lived in Jersey City, way back in the dark ages. I had an assignment in New Orleans and had lost my backup camera. I went running in Hudson Camera and told them what I needed and why. They fixed me up with a Canon A1 and I used that camera for 15 years without trouble. A lot of stores won't take that kind of trouble with you and don't know what to tell you anyhow. Like buying a camera at Best Buy (Laughing.gif ). I was wondering if they were still there. Nice to see one of the old pros not forced out by Walmart, et al. I doubt very much he'll remember me, but tell Pete I said "HI". This was in the late 70s or early 80s, don't remember which.
    Michael :D
    ========
    +++++++
    Jupiter 9 2.8/85mm used on bellows for EOS & F1 Bellows is M42 thread with adaptors for both cameras.
    Tair 135mm 2.8
  • jsedlakjsedlak Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2006
    Another +1 for B&H, so far I have had nothing but pleasant experiences with them.
  • TrentTrent Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited January 9, 2007
    I was looking at using B&H to buy the 30D and EF 28-135mm. I will be ordering from Australia. Any comments or potential traps for me?

Since I'm not an American resident I will miss the $240 rebate. Any handy hints on how I can still get this rebate. I need to at least purchase before the 13th Jan.

Cheers,

Trent
    edited January 9, 2007
    I just bought a 320 gig Mobile/portable drive from Adorama. I had seen on their web site that the drive was on sale but there was no cutoff date for it. I emailed Izzy, with whom I had done business some time previously, and asked about the drive. He said he would check ( he is no longer in sales) and a little while later he sent back to tell me I could still get the drive on the 20th, my payday. I ordered fron the web site and received the drive on the 22nd. I needed the drive for a presentation I was giving on the 2nd Jan and had plenty of time to transfer what I needed to the drive and then download to a friends laptop for the presentation.

This is not the first time I've had such dealings with Adorama, they have been fabulous in every transaction I've had with them. I enthusiastically recommend them to the world. I wish everyone did business as they do, Thanks Izzy and the Adorama Guys.

Michael wings.gif
    ========
    +++++++
    Tair 135mm 2.8
  • Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2007
    Beach Camera for sure
    Just received a Panny FZ50 from Beach Camera. Ordered it at lunchtime one day and it was shipped later that afternoon. Its a USA model just like they said and the price was the lowest from a reputable online dealer. No tricks, nothing hidden, no fake phone calls, nothing went wrong.

My co-worker ordered a Canon S2IS and had the same great experience.

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • mcp-photomcp-photo Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited February 5, 2007
    great vendor
    Just a suggestion to the mod's we should start a sticky thread on vendors we've had dealings with and were pleased, not pleased with. This will help new members.

Great idea---www.jr.com is a great place to get equipment---great prices and very fast shipping.
  • TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    I will only buy from one of three places, in no particular order. I typically make my choice on how big the cost difference is and will go with my local shop when the difference is less than $100.00 because I believe in supporting local business.

Berger Brothers (http://www.berger-bros.com) - this is my local shop and has an excellent reputation on Long Island. They are more expensive than the big guys because they are a local shop. Staffed by working pros and extremely knowledgable. Ask for Dan or Larry.

B&H (http://www.bhphotovideo.com) - most likely the best you are ever going to do when it comes to getting a fair price and having peace of mind. Noone gets screwed by B&H. You simply can not go wrong. Thankfully, this is another local shop for me and it's sooooo worth the visit in person.

Allen's Camera (http://www.allenscamera.com/) - very easy to deal with and quite competitive with B&H and other big guys. A lot of guys in my club call this "Mini B&H".
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    Haven't tried Allen's Camera, although I have heard of them, but I can agree with Terrance's comments about Berger Brothers. Never had a problem with them, and they have always been helpful with questions and advice. I live about 5 minutes from one location, and work about 10 minutes from the other.

I don't think anyone will disagree with the recommendations on B&H :D
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2007
    B&H is great, no complaints there. I have great response from Adorama, too...they seem to ship faster without paying extra. Not sure if it's due to location or what, but they are on the ball.

Just a reminder if it hasn't been mentioned that B&H and Adorama (I believe) will be closed for passover:

B&H Holiday Schedule

B&H Superstore, Phone Orders and Shipping Department,
    will be closed from
    Monday April 2nd through Tuesday April 10th.

All orders received before Sunday April 1st at 12:00pm
    will ship before we close.

We will reopen on Wednesday, April 11th at 9:00am

Please plan accordingly
  • bavasshokiebavasshokie Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    Beach Camera is great to buy from!
  • hamsterhamster Registered Users Posts: 361 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    I've just made a major purchase from onecall.com, and I have to say their customer service, price matching, and speed is FANTASTIC!!

(oh, and if anyone cares, my major purchase was a new Olympus E-500, a 50mm f/2.0 macro lens, and a new bogen-manfrotto tripod! wooo!!)
  • bavasshokiebavasshokie Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    hamster wrote:
    I've just made a major purchase from onecall.com, and I have to say their customer service, price matching, and speed is FANTASTIC!!

(oh, and if anyone cares, my major purchase was a new Olympus E-500, a 50mm f/2.0 macro lens, and a new bogen-manfrotto tripod! wooo!!)

Yeah it is a great system I bought my Olympus E500 3 weeks ago. I want the E510 then get my E500 converted to IR
  • JLGouldJLGould Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited October 3, 2007
    Adorama Gray Market?
    After seeing so many recommendations for Adorama, I went to check them out and noticed that several of the items I am in the market for are labeled Gray Market. Thoughts?