Options

High in the Arctic !! Eskimo....

Comments

• Options
    Majik ImajeMajik Imaje Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Great photos .....I wish I had such wonderful subject to be photoing........

Can we have a link to that library??? Pleasebowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif

Great photos .....I wish I had such wonderful subject to be photoing

Are you using Flip Album software for the book???

All the current books are on my blog on the left side (scroll down)

the links are here on this page. above this post. save links and photos and you have your own book - I am using a wordpress plugin - pageflip

Lets go "walkabout" in Barrow and see some of the village.
    Have you ever wondered how they cover an umiaq ? Yes they use skins from an Ugruk (oog rook) Six of them to be exact. But this takes time to hunt for that many animals. and there is a lot of work - by the women to prepare these skins.

oogruk.JPG
    I will spare you all the details
    oogruk2.JPG
    These skins have to be prepared a certain way and they take major time to dry out in the wind. The smell is potent !!
    prep.jpg
    The meat and blubber is stored; the skins are hung up to dry and stretched.
    finish.JPG
    All of those last 4 images were created while the camera was inside the house !!
    A blog of ICE
    ALL PHOTOS
    NEW ARCTIC FORUM

working around the clock to restore lost 'forum' & all photos
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2011
    AND .. .. of course - walrus - and meat hanging up - that at times does not really look edible - hanging outside for months.
    foodW2.JPG

foodW.JPG

thewalrus.JPG

tuskW.JPG

tuskW2.JPG
    A blog of ICE
    ALL PHOTOS
    NEW ARCTIC FORUM

• Options
    edited February 13, 2011
    Just by walking around the village; you can see people preparing skins or food; in many households. You just never know what your going to see, outside of any one home - food - bones- baleen - skins- umiaqs and well I will let these photos speak for them selves.
    OOG1.JPG

OOG2.jpg

OOG3.JPG

Baleen.JPG

antlers.JPG
    A blog of ICE
    ALL PHOTOS
    NEW ARCTIC FORUM

• Options
    edited February 15, 2011
    Blue book updated
    More than 100 new images have been put into that Blue Book that you can save as your personal copy.

I have 400 more to place in this book - with text!!
    A blog of ICE
    ALL PHOTOS
    NEW ARCTIC FORUM

• Options
    edited March 2, 2011
    My next door neighbor; asks my sons; Do you want fresh meat ??

My husband is going caribou hunting; he needs help - go with him!!

gohunt.jpg

I kinda like watching the kids - making bubbles; My sons have never been caribou hunting; this is going to be a treat for them; And a welcome relilef from purchasing ground beef at the AC store; Caribou has no fat, it is delicious and tastes very much like beef. It just depends on how you cook it !!

b1.JPG
    b2.JPG
    Lots of parts from broken down snowmachines of years ago. Nothing is ever thrown away in the Arctic; Save it. Someday someone will need something for spare parts. It (sounds good)!!
    yard.JPG

boat.JPG
    We sure didn't expect to use a boat to go caribou hunting ??

looking.JPG
    oh OH.. Now I know; why he needed help; You want me to walk ??
    way over there ??
    walk.JPG
    This is the last thing I ever expected to have to endure for caribou hunting !!
    Come on boys.. follow me !!!

rusure.JPG
    Free meat - all you want! The Inupiaq people only take; that which is needed to eat.
    Many different traditions are still used in the preparation of the skins & meat.

c1.JPG
    A blog of ICE
    ALL PHOTOS
    NEW ARCTIC FORUM

• Options
    edited March 2, 2011
    Caribou = tuttuu (2-2) I like to use my imagination in many different ways & methods; I like to START something; and I did recently in Point Hope & in Barrow. It caught on like wildfire!! Hey Dave ? what is your phone # ? People would often ask me. Only the last four digits are ever given because everyone in town (village) knows the first three #'s. So that part is useless information. So when I answered them I would say ... Twenty eight caribou !! ??? The looks I would get... what ??? 2-8-2-2 !! HUGE LAUGHTER would erupt; It would take a second to catch on... but soon, everyone in town was doing the same thing for people that has those two numbers together in their phone #. Just a little arctic village humor!!
    c2.JPG

c3.JPG

c4.JPG

c5.JPG

c6.JPG
    A blog of ICE
    ALL PHOTOS
    NEW ARCTIC FORUM

• Options
    edited March 2, 2011
    It all depends on where the herd(s) are located as to where we go to hunt. If you google: largest caribou herd in Alaska you will be shocked to discover that - THAT HERD is over 400,000 caribou !!!
    c7.JPG

home.JPG

The END of another long day; we will have to finish this work tommorrow.
    We got two caribou; there is more than enough meat to last for many months.
    late.JPG

later.JPG
    A blog of ICE
    ALL PHOTOS
    NEW ARCTIC FORUM

• Options
    edited March 2, 2011
    Tradition has it that whenever a hunter kills his first animal (of any type except polar bear) he must eat from that animal; Choices are: the tongue; liver; heart; intestines; etc.

That ritual is accomplished out in the field. The head is removed along with all the insides. Left there in the field. (for other animals).

Yawn: waking up early; we have work to do. and meat to get into the freezer. Remove the skin and set it out to dry in the wind.

work.JPG

The whole idea is to remove the skin - in one large piece!

Certain cuts are skillfully placed at key points on the upper legs and rear.

working.JPG

start.JPG

skinit.JPG

Cuts are made at each of the leg joints to separate the different portions; The bottom portion of the leg skin is used for the sides of mukluk boots. The upper portion of the leg skin are used for parky's - hats - pants etc. The main use for the big body skin is for sitting - for comfort and warmth. Caribou is a very dense heavy fur; There is no way one would use it for a hunting parky.

leg.JPG

Khis is using a knife; Mark is using an ulu knife. Much more efficient!
    A blog of ICE
    ALL PHOTOS
    NEW ARCTIC FORUM

• Options
    edited March 4, 2011
    Moving along and finishing this portion ..

finish.JPG

A native tan is used to finish the skins. This consists of scraping the skin with a very sharp ulu knife.
    finishskin.JPG
    I can't speak enough about how delicious caribou meat is; sliced very thin; fried up with onions & mushrooms on a sub roll with lots of cheese !!! SLURP!!

Next up: Umiaq Races !!
    A blog of ICE
    ALL PHOTOS
    NEW ARCTIC FORUM

• Options
    edited March 4, 2011
    There is not much to say here; the photos say it all 1 - 2- 3 : GO !!!
    B1.JPG

B2.JPG

B3.JPG

B4.JPG

B5.JPG
    A blog of ICE
    ALL PHOTOS
    NEW ARCTIC FORUM

• Options
    edited March 4, 2011
    The whole idea .. see which crew can go out to the red maker turn around and make it back to land first ! .. ... this was a very close race !

E1.JPG

E2.JPG

E3.JPG

E4.JPG

E5.JPG

E6.JPG
    A blog of ICE
    ALL PHOTOS
    NEW ARCTIC FORUM

• Options
    edited March 4, 2011
    E7.JPG

E8.JPG

E9.JPG

E10.JPG
    A blog of ICE
    ALL PHOTOS
    NEW ARCTIC FORUM

• Options
    edited March 4, 2011
    A very old polar bear skull !

one.jpg

SMILE !

two.jpg
    A blog of ICE
    ALL PHOTOS
    NEW ARCTIC FORUM

• Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2011
    Again I enjoyed your series of photos. Looks like they are true hunters .. using all which they hunt.

Boat race looks like fun :D

Passing down traditions of how to prepare the skins is a tradition that hopefully will carry on over many generations.
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2011
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Again I enjoyed your series of photos. Looks like they are true hunters .. using all which they hunt.

Boat race looks like fun :D

Passing down traditions of how to prepare the skins is a tradition that hopefully will carry on over many generations.

The Inupiaq way of learning is by 'watching' .. .. Some else do the work; that is how everything is learned up here; Reading is virtually a non-existant method used in 'teaching'!
    A blog of ICE
    ALL PHOTOS
    NEW ARCTIC FORUM

• Options
    edited April 1, 2011
    The Inupiaq way of learning is by 'watching' .. .. Someone else does the work; that is how everything is learned up here; Reading is virtually a non-existant method used in 'teaching'!

I sure butchered that last sentence; corrections are fixed to protray the accurate meaning.
    A blog of ICE
    ALL PHOTOS
    NEW ARCTIC FORUM

• Options
    edited April 1, 2011
    Now finally I can post these missing images that took me so long to locate.
    Well since this thread is all about obtaining food; this fits right in.
    LETS GO: on another adventure; Seal Hunting. This is not an easy task to accomplish;
    For one; a seal only sticks his head up out of the water for a second or two, you must be an expert shot. to hit that small target from far away; If you do hit the seal (with a bullet)- shot from a rifle; There is a problem finding it or getting it. when that bullet hits the seal. The seal sinks in the water. YOu need a "Niqsit" to retrieve that animal. This is no easy task.
    DSC_8414.jpg

niqsit.jpg

niqsit2.jpg
    A niqsit (nick sit) is a tool the hunter must make for himself; You cannot purchase them, they are hand made. Each one is different depending on who made it. Sometimes Ivory is used to embed the hooks to snag the animal. This is thrown way out into the water - to snag the seal as it sinks in the water. Finding the seal is very difficult to do. There is a definite knack to finding that animal after it goes under. If you can throw it that far out.

There are 3 different methods to seal hunting. Use an umiaq; use a metal boat when you have to travel very far - or - WALK. I have photos of all three methods being used for this post.

img910.jpg

The Arctic is home to at least six varieties of seals, sometimes called ice seals because they spend most of their time on or near the ice.The melting of the Arctic ice caps has endangered the habitat of some species, especially those that live near the outer reaches of the ice. Efforts to save these beautiful animals are underway, and public awareness is key in that struggle.

Spotted Seals

Like sea lions and walruses, spotted seals belong to a group of mammals called pinnipeds. Spotted seals, like other ice seals, rely on the ice for feeding, resting and pupping. They are a medium-sized seal, smaller than bearded seals and larger than the ringed and ribboned seals. An adult male can reach approximately five feet in length and weigh as much as 200 pounds. Their coloration is usually a silverish gray, broken up by darker spots and splotches. They can be found in the Bering Sea year round.

Harp Seals

Harp seals swim the cold Arctic waters feeding on fish and crustaceans. They can stay submerged underwater for up to fifteen minutes. Their gray or yellowish colored bodies are marked with a darker saddle across their backs. Harp seals can grow as long as six feet, and may weigh up to 600 pounds. Hundreds of thousands are harvested each year in seal hunts, and they are the favorite prey of polar bears. Environmentalists and animal rights activists are especially concerned about the harp seals' future because the fluffy, white fur of the young is prized by trappers and hunters.

Bearded Seals

Bearded seals are the largest of the group called ice seals. A male can weigh as much as 800 pounds at his heaviest, and measure 8 feet from the tip of his nose to the end of his tail, excluding his flippers. Even the young are larger than many adult seals; a pup can weigh 75 pounds at birth and measure 4 feet long. Alaskan Eskimos have hunted the bearded seals for centuries. The seals provide them with meat, oil and hides. Polar bears also prey on bearded seals, although the seals usually rest near a break in the ice which provides a quick escape. Bearded seals, unlike some Arctic seals, have no distinctive markings. They are usually dark gray or brown in color.

Hooded Seals

Hooded seals are often blamed for reduced fish populations.
    fish image by rufar from Fotolia.com Hooded seals are a migratory species of seals and have been found in waters as far south as the Caribbean. Their name is derived from the elastic sac that extends from their noses to their foreheads. Males inflate the "hood" to demonstrate aggression, and the hooded seal is considered one of the most aggressive species of seals. Males will grow to as much as 9 feet in length and can weigh up to 800 pounds. The females are smaller. The young, called "bluebacks" because of their distinctive blue-gray coloration, are sometimes hunted for their pelts.

Ringed Seals

Ringed seals are migratory and live wherever they find sea ice.
    seal image by Goran Bogicevic from Fotolia.com Ringed seals are the smallest of the pinnipeds, and rarely exceed five feet in length or 150 pounds in weight. Ringed seals have no distinctive coloration, but are usually gray with dark spots and a light underbelly. They are also the most common of the Arctic seals, and have long been an important part of the Alaskan economy. They provide food and consumable products for coastal Eskimos. Conservative estimates state that there are more than 250,000 ringed seals in Arctic waters. Polar bears, killer whales and walruses all prey upon ringed seals.

Ribbon Seals

Ribbon seals are the most elusive and unusual of the Arctic seals. When they are seen, their distinctive markings make it very easy to identify them. Mature adults have four white bands of color, resembling ribbons, on a dark background. One ribbon encircles their necks, one encircles their posterior, and the other two encircle their foreflippers. The ribbon seal is also unique because it has an air structure not found in other seals. Scientists are not sure exactly what the air structure does, but think it may help produce sound or provide buoyancy when diving or swimming.

The skin of a spotted seal

sealskin.jpg

These skins are worth a lot of money; Clothing is the main use of the skins. Gloves; Mittens, Hats, Vests, Mukluks and even Parky's are made from this totally water proof skin. Purses are popular also.
    A blog of ICE
    ALL PHOTOS
    NEW ARCTIC FORUM

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2011
    another blow your mind post.....Extremely well done.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited April 2, 2011
    A 'seal' is a very small animal when it is in the water far away and sticks its head up for a couple of seconds. You only have seconds to make that shot.
    SEAL.jpg

How good of a shot you are; Will determine if your family is able to eat !
    The question arises: Just how to you put a seal in the refrigerator or freezer they are so big?
    Well you need a good understanding of Inupiaq Technology for that solution.
    seals5.jpg

The Inupiaq word for seal is Natchiq (nah chick) Earl Kingiik from Point Hope has that word as his Eskimo name. People are named not because of what the word means; but rather for the 'sound' of the word.
    When you sneeze; you make the sound - Ah-choo. Believe it or not that sound is what prompted the Oktollik family to name their new dog - Achu. They did not name him for what that word means (I don't know). They used that name because they like the sound of that word.
    IN fact: there are 3 different ways to say "I don't know" in Inupiaq. Achu - Ami - or Nalarunga.

Let me use this next photo to describe how a niqsit is used properly.
    DSC_8413.jpg

That small peg is used by wrapping the index & middle finger around each side of the peg. This is hoisted far above the head (of the person throwing it) and spun in a circle above your head. As you spin the short portion of the rope with the weight. Careful aim is directed at the target and let it all fly. Drag the rope back until you hook or catch the hooks on the animal and bring it to shore. (if lucky). Or successfull !!
    A blog of ICE
    ALL PHOTOS
    NEW ARCTIC FORUM

• Options
    edited April 3, 2011
    DSC_8415.jpg
    Patience is the name of the game - The Inupiaq way of life is: .. .. wait !!

DSC_8423.jpg

DSC_8427.jpg

Take a walk - be careful - this ice is very thin in many places.
    DSC_8430.jpg

DSC_8424.jpg
    A blog of ICE
    ALL PHOTOS
    NEW ARCTIC FORUM

• Options
    edited April 3, 2011
    This is a wicked mess to sort out if you mess it all up and get it tangled.
    DSC_8561.jpg

The Arctic is a very lonely quiet place to hunt. What a way to go food shopping eh ??
    DSC_8422.jpg

DSC_8419.jpg

Mark-seal.jpg

DSC_8543.jpg

DSC_8545.jpg

DSC_8546.jpg

DSC_8547.jpg

DSC_8421.jpg

DSC_8553.jpg

DSC_8555.jpg

DSC_8554.jpg

It is a long walk home; but food is on the table so to speak. The end of another day. Now lets hop into a boat and go look for seals.. ...
    A blog of ICE
    ALL PHOTOS
    NEW ARCTIC FORUM

• Options
    edited April 3, 2011
    DSC_8442.jpg

DSC_8447.jpg

DSC_8456.jpg

DSC_8436.jpg

DSC_8485.jpg

DSC_8437.jpg

DSC_8438.jpg

DSC_8509.jpg

This is just the greatest place on earth. I would not want to live another place on this entire planet. do you look forward to food shopping with this much excitement and adventure? (chuckle). !!
    A blog of ICE
    ALL PHOTOS
    NEW ARCTIC FORUM

• Options
    Stella7dStella7d Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2011
    David, this is the most remarkable post I have ever seen!! I felt like I was reading National Geographic or watching a documentary! Your stories are wonderful and your images capture the their true lifestyle perfectly! I have learned so much about a new culture and their way of life. I have learned about a new region on the globe and the way people must adapt I order to survive! What an amazing experience this must be for you! I have friends who lived in Barrow for many years, but really had no idea it was so primitive up there. I can't thank you enough for sharing all of this with us!! :)
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    So do the people of Barrow make much stink fin??? I hear it could kill a whiteman but the natives love it....or is it a slightly warmer clim. delicacy (meaning just below the arctic circle)....I do not even like Kim Che so I do not think I could get close to Stink Fin unless i was on my last starving minute of life...then I am not sure.

another great series of pix!!!
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited April 4, 2011
    Thank you for all the wonderful comments. As far as 'stink'meat is concerned; I have never gotten that close to it. It is not my type of phood.

Yes it can kill you if you eat fermented blubber (whale) any sugar ingested that day will cause a person to become extremely sick from botulisim.

Let me round up the next group of images - so stay tuned for more of:

High in the Arctic .. .. Eskimo!!
    A blog of ICE
    ALL PHOTOS
    NEW ARCTIC FORUM

• Options
    edited April 15, 2011
    Work @ home - Make BIG BUCKS - Carving Ivory
    Do you really want to make extra dollars per week working @ home ??
    This is very easy to do and accomplish no matter where you live.
    You...; yes you! Have taken your valuable time to spend with me; Now I want to reward you and share a little known secret. This is something hundreds of familes do every day @ home. The main reason they do this.. There are no jobs in the villages. (The smaller villages - lots & lots of them). Well there are no jobs. This is what people do... they work @ home.. .. making 'something. Most of these familes are huge as in ten members or more. The only way they survive (all over this state of Alaska) is by working.. @ home and some - a lot of people make outrageous money.
    I have four inupiaq sons. I taught them how to carve ivory;- .. .. I know absolutely nothing about this (sorta) but I do know the steps it takes to make ear-rings & bracelets. I watched an expert - the best .. every day for 5 months.
    I taught my sons how to carve by speaking 5 simple sentences to them. that's all I did.
    Now I am going to take you step by step through the whole creation process.
    You will learn everything necessary to make gorgeous Ivory bracelets and ear-rings and these sell like hot-cakes in any part of the world.
    The most $$ my sons ever made was 3k in just one day. This is a cash business. The most they ever made in one week was many months later.. .. one week... nine thousand. I won't tell you what is possible for a month!!
    Do you have children? Teach them... !
    A blog of ICE
    ALL PHOTOS
    NEW ARCTIC FORUM

• Options
    edited April 15, 2011
    The laws concerning ivory are simple to understand and comprehend

Elephant ivory is against the law - world wide ban!

RAW-WHITE WALRUS IVORY TUSKS are against the law for anyone other than an Inupiaq / Yu'pik native to own possess or
    carve on.
    Fossil Ivory- Mastodon Ivory - Mammoth Ivory is / are fair game for anyone to own - possess - sell - carve on etc.
    there are NO RESTRICTIONS.

BEACH WASHED WHITE IVORY tusks are fair game to anyone that finds them. Just bring them to fish & game to be tagged
    and they are all yours all legal like. NO RESTRICTIONS.

There are literally hundreds of people that do this daily in many different villages all throughout the entire State
    of Alaska. For some families - this is the only way to generate income to provide for their familes due to such high
    unemployment in the smaller villages. This is a job - YOU must treat it as such- put in the necessary time & it will
    pay you huge rewards that you never ever thought possible.
    It is all done in the same exact simple manner. Make a slice that is 3/16th's of an inch thick. At first learn how
    to cut 1/4" slices; Then you can sand each side for a brilliant smooth finish with no scratches of any type. This
    piece of large mastodon ivory was sent to us; by a person from City-Data who trusted us. This piece would have cost
    about $400 to purchase. That person just wanted to give it to us. but we said we would make some bracelets & ear-
    rings. We agreed to do it all - for free - and send the results back to that person who has shown faith & trust in
    us. Another purpose we thought of - was to post all the steps for people who want to really learn how simple it is
    to make outrageous money from home.
    ANYONE: can purchase ivory from Alaska Fur Exchange in Anchorage.
    CUT.JPG
    Learning how to cut STRAIGHT is a must to practice & learn; We will post photos here of how we slice exact slices
    every time with no ruler or lines or measurements! Learn to use your "eyes".. Look at the photo; and notice; he is
    using his thumbnail to rest the saw blade against for the start of the cut; But at first; make marks 1/4 " of an
    inch apart apart on a piece of ivory and then begin to cut them straight.
    Don't waste your time by making just one cut at a time; You will not learn squat using that method;
    But instead make many cuts and work them all down (at once). THEN you will BEGIN to NOTICE; how to cut perfectly
    straight perfect slices every time. "There are no shortcuts to practice"! This is time consuming & boring, there are
    no two ways about it; Using an electric saw or other electric method will not produce the same results, Unless you
    have quite the setup - learn how to use a coping saw & a dremel. Those are really the only two tools you need to
    make outrageous money working from home - keeping busy !! The whole idea is to pack ONE BOX full of ear-ring boxes
    that are full = 100 pair of various styles - shapes & materials. If you have inventory you are going to make money!
    There are many 'hot-spots" for making sales in the State of Alaska. The #1 spot in this whole state is believe it or
    not- Juneau when the tour ships arrive. Valdez is another spot also. But without any doubt for year -round sales -
    The villages are the best place to sell your crafts to locals !! Native women collect IVORY - of all types. Ear-
    rings & bracelets are their favorite(s) to purchase. Some women have hundreds of bracelets and or ear-rings. Huge
    collections; This is also one way for them to generate extra - cash when traveling.
    4cuts.jpg
    Using a coping saw, move it back and forth slowly and pick up momentum; make sure you do not apply pressure to the
    saw or blade. Just let it rest on the ivory and draq it back and forth - let the blade do the cutting as you hold
    the handle loosely in your hand. This is going to take "hours" depending on what size the piece of Ivory your
    working with is. Once you have 1/2 a dozen slices or so; Now you can begin the next 'boring' step. It really depends
    on the size of the piece you are working with; this piece of fossil ivory only cost us $50 bucks. It has decent
    colors and is only 5 inches long x about 1 inch tall. So slicing up this entire piece would not take that much time.
    About 10 pairs of ear-rings that sell for $ 50 bucks each = $500 bucks - ten times more than what you paid for it.
    That has been our observations when ever we spend money on ivory. Ear-rings are by far the easiest product to
    create. Absolutely no waste of any ivory. Just cut the slices, Each pair is a different size (usually) depending on
    the shape of the ivory itself. Cut the slices; round (smooth) the edges; drill a 1/16th hole in the top to super
    glue the stud into. Polish to a brilliant shine; place product in box AFTER you clean the ivory with rubbing
    alcohol. Keep repeating this simple procedure until you have a sizeable amount of inventory. Two different sizes of
    boxes are used to package & present bracelets & ear-rings. That is 95% of what we create on a daily basis. Bracelet
    boxes are 3 1/2" x 3 1/2" x 3/4" - We much prefer to use the boxes with clear covers. This keeps people from
    touching the product which always leaves finger prints from the oil on your skin. Boxes can be purchased from Paper
    Mart dot com or Alaska Display in Anchorage. NOTICE; in the photo below; five cuts are being worked on together at
    once. We usually do six or eight and work them all down together. When you see (visually) what happens when you do
    this - you will be amazed at how perfectly straight every cut is! We only use our thumbnail to place on the ivory
    and rest the saw blade against your thumbnail and begin the cut. It is very easy to estimate 1/4 of an inch and make
    them all identical - just by using your eyes !!
    This requires .. .. 'practice'!

colors.JPG
    Starter piece of ivory
    Here in the images above is a small piece of fossil ivory. It is the perfect starter piece for someone new to
    carving; to purchase. The shape of the ivory itself is perfect for ear-rings - just as it is. Just slice it all up.
    No waste to speak of. Or slice it up for bracelet pieces ! Once you slice up a few small pieces of ivory - your an
    expert!! It is simple to learn - fun to do and the time passes by so quickly; This is your new job - treat it like a
    real job and you will reap in lots of Xtra cash. With four sons doing this daily; we went through a lot of ivory.
    But .. .. as fast as we produced inventory - it sold right quick.So you took a piece of ivory and sliced it all up..
    .. what is the very next step.
    StEp 2 : Using a clip board (hard surface) place your sandpaper on the clip board and rub hard and fast and sand
    each side until it is smooth. To do this more efficiently -
    bicivy.jpg

mastodon.JPG
    Have different clip boards for different grits of sandpaper used. That will save you a lot of wasted time in
    switching sand paper each time you need to go to the next finest grit.Invest in at least a few sheets of sand paper
    of the following grits: 120 - 220 - 380 - 550 - 600 - 800 - 1200 - 2000 These grit #'s are not exact - just starting
    points. What ever is available in your area. Then invest in a good selection. The ultimate setup is a different clip
    board for each grit placed in front of you at bench level height hanging up so you do not have to move. A dust
    collection system is essential for your health & to prevent a bloody mess everywhere because ivory dust is extremely
    fine, it will float all over the house.
    INVEST: in a good dust collection and air filtration system. It makes all the difference in the world.
    You want to have a clean shop-working area. Sit down relax and work. You should not have to get up to reach for anything.
    A blog of ICE
    ALL PHOTOS
    NEW ARCTIC FORUM

• Options
    edited April 15, 2011
    end.JPG

anything. Everything you need is within arms reach of your work area. Plan your set up in this manner. Wasted
    movements waste valuable time. If you have room to build a small shop. Then this is what I recommend. Use 3/4"
    plywood for your bench top. Most places that sell plywood sheets -they also will make cuts for you. Cut the bench
    top 24" wide x 8 feet long. The other 24" piece that is leftover cut into 3 - 8" pieces x 8 foot long. Now you have
    the necessary lumber for 3 shelves above your work bench. The edge of your shelves have stuff hanging on them using
    plastic push pins. Scissors; plastic templates, other small things you want right within your reach. The edge of
    your work bench should have all your clip boards hanging in front of you. Our personal preference for mounting a
    vise is NOT TO PLACE IT: on your work bench. How high to make your shop bench ?? That is truely a matter of personal
    preference; BUT .. .. I know - from experience, of working in the trade; much of the tips I provide here is based on
    over 40 years in the industry what works & what doesn't. Get a folding chair. Sit down - turn to your right or left
    (put it this way) if your arms are bent as if resting on arms on the side of the chair. The bottom of your arm that
    is parallell to the floor - that is the exact measurement of your bench height (about 29 inches) You want to work -
    sitting down - not standing up! If you make a work bench to stand up - you are going to be bent over all day and
    your back is going to hurt. Sit down and relax. Using a small coffee or tv table of some old furniture for your vise
    puts you over your work at the correct height looking down. You can slice ivory all day long with no backaches. I've
    done it many times, to prefab for the boys. I will take a whole tusk and just slice it all from one end to the other
    but remove no slices. 54 cuts. all brought down to 3/4 of the way. Then it is a very quick process to remove several
    in a couple of minutes. plus it is a great indicator of how straight you are able to cut!! remember this .. .. "..
    perfect is close enough' !!
    sanding.JPG

Doing it that way requires you to move. You want your vise out of the way - you do not want to have to move to get
    it in front of you. THEREFORE: The best place to mount your vise is on a small tv type coffee end table type of old
    furniture with wheels on it (rollers). Keep it stored right in front of you under your work Ivory dust - it is
    extremely fine. Learn how to control it using a dust collector or ordinary vacum or Shop Vacum cleaner. The Main
    thing: Is to save your dust. you will need it (later). As large amounts of dust build up around" your vise area.
    Sweep it off into small storage containers. A piece of Mastodon Ivory in a small three inch vise; Notice how much it
    appears to resemble old driftwood of sorts.
    Sanding; Slicing/Sawing-Drilling. all create DUST This material is over 25 thousand years old!!
    wood.JPG
    It is brittle, dried out and lacks moisture. There are many ways to treat Ivory when you first acquire it, to put
    moisture back into the 'pores'. What do you think is going to happen to this piece of ivory as we begin to cut it ?
    It is very obvious - it is going to fall apart into many smaller odd size pieces. Learning how to cut ivory is
    something you will only gain by experience. Notice we began at the large end. It is still split and in sections. As
    we cut these pieces we will show you how to use them. This will take us many hours to make these cuts. There is no
    quick way to do this ACCURATELY cept learn how to use a coping saw. Spend the time; and I assure you - you will
    learn how; YES !! YOU ARE: going to break blades - now and again; not to worry; We still break them! When you first
    begin, always have at least one spare package of 5 extra blades. We try to keep 10 or more extra blades on hand;
    just in case - we want an abundance of all suppllies and materials so it is virtually impossible to run out of; thus
    shutting down the job is avoided at all costs which are minimal. Your customers will supply all the money you need
    to grow. 1/2 of all money we make is for more supplies & tools. the other half is divided for food & bills; Anything
    over $300 per day - we give away - to people we know - that need help! A coping saw w/ extra blades. A dremel tool &
    Burr cutting bits of many different types & shapes - they are inexpensive or very expensive depending on where you
    purchase them from.

drill2.jpg

burring.jpg

Bunches of bits
    A blog of ICE
    ALL PHOTOS
    NEW ARCTIC FORUM

• Options
    edited April 15, 2011
    You need catalogs (many of them). Most are free; Grizzley tools; AIH (alaska). Build a selection of
    good catalogs. I can't stress this enough. Black Elk Leather in Alaska is the cheapest place you are ever going to
    find for ear-ring studs and loops & hooks etc. Rio Grande has a set of catalogs that used to be free; now they want
    $25 dollars for a 3 volume set. It is well worth the price! When I purchase an item such as this photo of the bits -
    I purchase four of them; One set for each of the boys; Everyone has the same identical set up - NO BORROWING !! Keep
    your area(s) neat and well organized. Make a place for your small dust brushes - dust pan for quick clean ups. You
    do not want to have to go searching for anything. metal rulers 6" 12" or have holes in the end to hang up nearby,
    neatly. Hang as much as possible and utilize all of that wasted space in front of you. Think & learn. The absolute
    perfect shop setup - is a horseshoe - A bench in front of you and on either side as you swivel. A giant U upside
    down. Put some thought into where you want to set up your shop. You need access to an "outside" wall to cut a 4"
    hole to exhaust the dust vent outside the house (if possible). A radio is a must to have & listen to; and for what
    it is worth; if you listen to rock music constantly; your gonna get burnt out in a few hours. Classical Music will
    let you dream; soar and visit other wonderful places - for hours with no burn out associated with other types of
    music. This is just my personal preference for a lifetime !! Sure I love the Beatles ; Fleetwood Mac; and a hundred
    other bands. Country - Rock - Jazz - But.. .. Rap is forbidden in my household. Enough said on that subject. You are
    only going to be as good as the tools you use; and learn with. In the beginning you will learn with a dremel; Later
    you will graduate into using a Foredom. It will hang from the ceiling with a long flexible shaft. Directly up over
    your head, The same place your bracelet cord should be. Above you. Stand up cut a piece sit down finished. All
    movements should reguire minimal movement on your part to access anything & everything you need to keep working.
    Since 90% of your time is going to be spent - making slices; then lets look at some 'slices' and see what you can
    learn - just by looking at simple photographs. The first thing I want you to notice: is the original shape of the
    ivory tusk used. It was small. That entire tusk could have easily been cut up for ear-rings of that same natural
    shape of the tusk itself. But a shape was drawn on each of the slices that were cut. Using a 12" disk sander (Delta
    - or Grizzley) cost is $265. This is the tool of choice; because of the front bench that can be set to any precise
    angle necessary to make the bracelet pieces fit together perfectly. A bracelet must have at least 8 pieces to form a
    perfect circle, But 10, 12, 14, & 16 piece tiny baby bracelets are all possible to make. Each has a different
    precise angle to bevel the ends to make the pieces fit when strung together.We will post all the different sizes
    with the correct angles to use to bevel:
    8 piece = 22 degrees (each end)
    10 piece = 18
    12 piece = 15
    14 piece = 12 degrees (each end)

k1b.jpg

This is just a starting point for you to learn from. Begin with a ten piece bracelet. 3/4 of an inch should be the
    length of your pieces. That equals a womans large wrist - Average womans wrist should be about 6 1/2 inches there
    abouts when pieces are lined up together. when you do the same steps over and over and over - soon it will all
    become second nature. How long to make your bracelet pieces ? Wrap a string around your wrist. Mark it where the end
    intersects with the first wrap. Staighten out the string and measure it. Ten pieces 1/2" long = A tiny 5 inch wrist.
    The more you make; the more proficient you will become.
    mastadon-hearts.jpg

Mastodon Hearts

This is all learned by practing, using the tools; not by reading. Once you have made a half a dozen slices; there is
    not much else to learn except practice some more; As I said 90% of what you do is slicing up ivory. Later you will
    get a horizontal or vertical band saw and it won't take but a fraction of the time to cut up a whole tusk. Slice &
    draw out the shapes you wish to make on the piece of ivory you have cut; after you have sanded all the rough stuff
    smooth. Use the 12" disk sander or your dremel to cut off the excess ivory to conform to the shape you drew. Round
    off the sharp edges and begin to sand through the different grits. Polish to a high shine. drill hole to super glue
    the stud into and your finished - after you wipe it all down with rubbing alcohol & tissue. Place into box . Begin
    the process all over again; EXCEPT one difference. - Learn to pre-fab - & make a dozen pair at once.
    Lets talk so more about some of the tools & accessories you will use & need. 1/16" drill bits - a turntable spindle
    to hold your bits and burrs for cutting and shaping. In the begining you will not need much of an assortment of
    burrs for cutting and shaping. Those burrs are used to inlay ivory inside of ivory and those steps come much later.
    First you learn by making ear-rings then I will talk you through the steps to inset materials into other materials.
    When you purchase 1/16" inch drill bits - believe it or not; buy a dozen of them; you will break them often. DO NOT
    THROW THEM AWAY. Keep them - When you begin to drill bracelet pieces you will not use the whole drill bit. You
    basically cut the bit in half. Only the smaller drill bit half is used.
    drill.jpg

Using a dust collection system vented to the outside, provides the best manner in which to dispose of the dust.
    (that ends up in a bag outside the house.)

drill2.jpg

Bit spindle holder

hp346.jpg
    PURCHASE ONE or more.
    A blog of ICE
    ALL PHOTOS
    NEW ARCTIC FORUM

• Options
    edited April 15, 2011
    The shaft part of the bit is saved as a 'peg' . Later you might want to make a small ivory or baleen Jewerly case.
    These pins are perfect to use to hold the pieces together when making a box. The reason you cut a drill bit in half
    is so you will not drill through your finger when we show you how to drill a bracelet piece properly. The bit is
    long enough to go just a little more than 1/2 way through the piece and it is turned over and drilled from the other
    end. There are many tricks and tips we will share with you; I promise if you put in the time; create a sizeable
    inventory and you will make money. I dont care where you live. People the world over love the look & feel of Ivory.
    It has been treasured by collectors for many thousands of years - all over the world; Ivory is in huge demand.
    Alaska Fur Exchange in Anchorage is probably the best place to purchase ivory - in person. Go there and purchase
    something small to work with and make some ear-rings. The more practice you get making simple ear-rings and selling
    them will no doubt make you want to purchase something larger. And then learn to make bracelet pieces and Three pair
    of newly made ear-rings from mastodon ivory put the whole thing together; we will show you step by step what to do
    and how to do it the best most effiective way possible. We have lots of experience; we have made lots of mistakes and
    refined our working process to avoid injuries that will happen. Safety First & Safety Second ! - Purchase a good
    pair of inexpensive safety - glasses & wear them! I can't stress enough the need for safety in the work place; I've
    seen my sons get injured many times - especially when using the 12" disc sander. Keep your fingers out of the way;
    you can sand flesh off in a split second. Make sure you have bandaids just in case. Careful work habits can greatly
    prevent many injuries that are common with working with tools. Believe it or not ; it is very easy to drill through
    your finger or hand. We take precautions to make sure that doesn't happen Once you graduate from making ear-rings to
    making bracelet pieces - the same exact steps are done for each of the 12 pieces needed to make that bracelet. ONce
    you have your pieces all made then it is time to drill them in the proper fashion; you need to mark exactly where
    the holes are going to be to insert the bracelet cord. Notice: in these images you do not have to measure anything;
    just place the 1/8th " piece of cardboard and fold around the piece and draw the two lines. On the top of the piece
    and on each end. When you drill the pieces you have to hold one end over the back end of the piece as is shown in
    the following photographs. This takes practice to hold the drill level to go through the piece straight. then flip
    the piece over and drill from the other side and the two holes WILL MEET. If and only if you drill straight!! This
    is going to take practice - Use practice pieces not real bracelet pieces until your sure you can drill straight from
    each end & meet in the middle. Occasionaly you might not be able to get the bracelet cord through the holes because
    it doesn't line up properly. Ever notice shoelaces ?? The end of the shoelace has a hard coating over it. This is
    easily accomplished using super glue on your bracelet cord. Place one end of the bracelet cord in your vise. Tighten
    the vise to hold the cord and with one hand stretch the cord as much as possible; Now drip super glue over the end
    of the cord near the vise. Hold it stretched for a few seconds.. When you relax the cord. open the vise and cut the
    cord end of the new coated portion. Now you have a hard stiff straight end to insert through the hole!! Super Glue
    will stick to your fingers; Keep acetone on hand or nail polish remover to get the stuff off your finger tips &
    skin.
    A 12" disc sander is a powerful tool; It is expensive and extremely heavy as in more than 70 pounds. Shipping for
    this tool was more than the cost of the tool to us in Point Hope - the price of the tool was $265 Over $300 to ship
    it to the village - UNTIL WE took the front bench part off and mailed the two pieces in two different boxes. The
    shipping was less than $100 bux using that method!! We had four of them!
    three-pairS.jpg
    Three pair of ear-rings all boxed up ready to go - from scraps that are beginning to fall from this piece of icory
    we are working on. After spending over an hour with this piece of ivory - now six cuts are fairly well along to show
    you what straight looks like when you use multiple cuts instead of just one. This is time well spent 'training your
    eyes' to notice minute differences in the thickness of each of the slices - not to worry - we use calipars or
    micrometers to make sure each piece is 'perfect' thickness!
    six.JPG
    SCRAPS BEGINING TO FALL FROM TUSK AS WE continue sawing:
    arc2.JPG
    NOTICE: The criss cross pattern that is embedded into EVERY PIECE of mastodon ivory. It has been present in every
    piece we have used in over 7 years time. When I show you these 'arcs' again - all finished and boxed up - you won't
    believe it was made from this piece !!
    [img]http://majikimaje.com/IP-800/arc3.JPG[/img These Arc type shaped pieces that are begining to fall off the ivory as we continue to saw - are perfect just as they are: for ear-rings. Merely round off the sharp edges and sand & polish them to a brilliant luster = 50 - 75 bux per pair. BELIEVE IT OR NOT: - You can take that arc shaped piece and place it into baby oil or mineral oil in a small contianer; let it soak for a few days - a week. take it out; lay it down on a flat surface and straighten out that curve into a straight flat piece. Then twist it by hand !! We have LOTS of tricks tips & secrets we are willing to share with you! All you gotta do is put in the time - I promise your gonna make more than a dime![/img]
    A blog of ICE
    ALL PHOTOS
    NEW ARCTIC FORUM