Options

IE Operation Aborted? Post Here

JcoxJcox Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited June 4, 2007 in SmugMug Support
EDIT BY ANDY..

Hi guys, some of you are experiencing IE errors. We are aware of it. But we do not know yet what the cause is, user code, or SmugMug code. Our team is looking at it and we'll post here when we know more. Thanks for your patience!

When choosing a gallery i get an error window saying that the action was aborted. Then the gallery loads. click on an image and attempt to change the size and nothing happens. Then you can't click on any other pics. Is this due to work being done on the site or do i have a prblem?

www.jcox.smugmug.com

EDIT #2 by Andy:

See {JT}'s post here:
http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=530041#post530041

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2007
    Hi, the site is fine, and so is yours (I can navigate, all galleries working fine).

What browser and version are you using? Also, try clearing all your browser's cache (temporary files) and close, reopen it.
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, the site is fine, and so is yours (I can navigate, all galleries working fine).

What browser and version are you using? Also, try clearing all your browser's cache (temporary files) and close, reopen it.
    Great, Thanks. I'm using Internet Explorer i think second to last version. I'll get to cleaning out the temps. Thought that might have something to do with it.
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2007
    Cleaned all the temp files and the same problem exists. I haven't changed anything, added new programs or anything like that. I used my smugmug account just a few days ago but last night this started happening. The error says that Internet explorer can not open website (my smugmug url along with gallery) Opperation aborted.

Thanks for your help.

IE version 6.0.2900.2180
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2007
    Jcox wrote:
    Cleaned all the temp files and the same problem exists. I haven't changed anything, added new programs or anything like that. I used my smugmug account just a few days ago but last night this started happening. The error says that Internet explorer can not open website (my smugmug url along with gallery) Opperation aborted.

Thanks for your help.

IE version 6.0.2900.2180
    How about these links, do they work for you?

http://www.smugmug.com

http://cmac.smugmug.com/gallery/2504559#131487110

Tell me what you see.
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    How about these links, do they work for you?

http://www.smugmug.com

http://cmac.smugmug.com/gallery/2504559#131487110

Tell me what you see.
    Smugmug home page

And a gallery with a group of people wearing masks and what not. I was also able to look at the different sizes of the images.
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2007
    Jcox wrote:
    Smugmug home page

And a gallery with a group of people wearing masks and what not. I was also able to look at the different sizes of the images.
    Ok then.. You've got some errors on your page that are causing your IE to not work. I'll ask for Allen to help, it's likely in your navbar.
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Ok then.. You've got some errors on your page that are causing your IE to not work. I'll ask for Allen to help, it's likely in your navbar.
    Thanks so much!

I assume you're talking about the navbar that i set up on my page, correct?
  • Options
    BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 13, 2007
    Jcox wrote:
    Thanks so much!

I assume you're talking about the navbar that i set up on my page, correct?

Hi :)

I don't see much in your CSS code that should cause any problems. There are a couple things you can try to see if it will help:

Make sure you have the most recent version of java installed. It can be downloaded here:

For Internet Explorer:

http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

Also, I see you deleted your cache and temp files, did you delete your cookies, also? Give that another shot:

Clearing cache for Internet Explorer 6:

1. From the *|Tools|* menu, select *|Internet Options... |*.
    2. Choose the *|General|* tab.
    3. In the "Temporary Internet Files" section, click *|Delete
    Files... |*.
    4. To confirm the deletion, click *|OK|*.
    5. In the |Internet Options| dialog box, click *|OK|*.

Clearing cookies for Internet Explorer:

1. Within IE, go to *Tools | Internet Options*.
    2. Click *Delete Cookies*.
    3. Click *OK*.

Let us know if either of those things help.
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2007
    Thanks Barb, i installed Java from your link. I had already cleared the temp internet files as well as cookies.

Still no luck. I've noticed that when i try to look at a differnt size image that the tool drop down windows and the gallery style drop down windows vanish as soon as you click on the image or choose "large" from the pop up tool bar.

Thanks for your help!
  • Options
    DblDbl Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2007
    And this evening I keep getting this error when trying to navigate my galleries. Had it at least 10 times in 15 minutes. Using IE7 and XP home. Not able to reproduce in Firefox.

143529523-L.jpg
    Dan

Canon Gear
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 14, 2007
    Dbl wrote:
    And this evening I keep getting this error when trying to navigate my galleries. Had it at least 10 times in 15 minutes. Using IE7 and XP home. Not able to reproduce in Firefox.

Firefox is more forgiving than IE, it will continue to work after a failure...while IE will just croak.

Do yourself a favour and download FireBug for Firefox.

You have an issue with your customisation that is causing this problem...

changeHomelink is not defined

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    Firefox is more forgiving than IE, it will continue to work after a failure...while IE will just croak.

Cheers,

David
    I'm still able to navigate the galleries after i get that error, just not able to resize any images. And once i try to resize the image i'm no longer able to navigate that gallery and have to go back out to the main page.
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2007
    devbobo wrote:

Cheers,

David

Ummm...I have had NO issues at all until yesterday with thisheadscratch.gif What changed, an update to IE7? Barb the helpful customization goddess helped set up my homepage a few months ago and there have been no issues at all. So what needs to be changed now?
    Dan

Canon Gear
  • Options
    BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 14, 2007
    Dbl wrote:
    Ummm...I have had NO issues at all until yesterday with thisheadscratch.gif What changed, update to IE7? Barb the helpful customization goddess helped set up my homepage a few months ago and there have been no issues at all. So what needs to be changed now?

You said you just upgraded to IE7 ... you might want to make sure you are running the most current version of java.

It can be downloaded here:

For Internet Explorer:

Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2007
    Barb wrote:

You said you just upgraded to IE7 ... you might want to make sure you are running the most current version of java.

It can be downloaded here:

For Internet Explorer:

No... I did not just upgrade, I've been running IE7 since it was released. I am running the most recent Java. I meant was there a recent Windows update that is now causing this? This is actually slightly more than annoying. As I stated before I have changed nothing, and my site was working fine until yesterday. Java is current, nothing has been changed except the usual round of weekly Windows updates, hence my original question.

143611365-L.jpg
    Dan

Canon Gear
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2007
    Dbl wrote:
    No... I did not just upgrade, I've been running IE7 since it was released. I am running the most recent Java. I meant was there a recent Windows update that is now causing this? This is actually slightly more than annoying. As I stated before I have changed nothing, and my site was working fine until yesterday. Java is current, nothing has been changed except the usual round of weekly Windows updates, hence my original question.
    I'm pretty much in the same boat except i'm not on IE7 and i don't have automatic updates. The only automatic update i have is AVG. So other than updating virus defs i have changed nothing.
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2007
    Jcox wrote:
    I'm pretty much in the same boat except i'm not on IE7 and i don't have automatic updates. The only automatic update i have is AVG. So other than updating virus defs i have changed nothing.
    Is it ANY gallery on your site? Or specific galleries?
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2007
    Dbl wrote:

143611365-L.jpg
    Which website? On your first site, changhomelink still not defined. Fix that, so we can rule it out please?
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2007
    Dbl wrote:
    Ummm...I have had NO issues at all until yesterday with thisheadscratch.gif What changed, an update to IE7? Barb the helpful customization goddess helped set up my homepage a few months ago and there have been no issues at all. So what needs to be changed now?
    actually that's incorrect, just because you didn't see the errors...does not mean that they weren't there.

i tried to suggest something that is going to make your life easier, if you're not interested that's fine just leave things as they are.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2007
    Jcox wrote:
    When choosing a gallery i get an error window saying that the action was aborted. Then the gallery loads. click on an image and attempt to change the size and nothing happens. Then you can't click on any other pics. Is this due to work being done on the site or do i have a prblem?

www.jcox.smugmug.com
    You don't have the latest slideshow code but an earlier version 0.56.

get this one
    /*=========================*/
    /*== SLIDE SHOW ==*/
    /*== version 0.58 ==*/
    /*== Updated 15 Mar 2007 ==*/

Go back the the slideshow thread and get the latest slideshow
    text file and replace what you have and see if it fixes IE.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2007
    Allen wrote:
    You don't have the latest slideshow code but an earlier version 0.56.

get this one
    /*== SLIDE SHOW ==*/
    /*== version 0.58 ==*/
    /*== Updated 15 Mar 2007 ==*/

Go back the the slideshow thread and get the latest slideshow
    text file and replace what you have and see if it fixes IE.

Allen,

it's not the slideshow. He had a call to a function in his body tag that didn't exist. It has been removed.

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    Allen,

it's not the slideshow. He had a call to a function in his body tag that didn't exist. It has been removed.

David
    What is it that needs to be removed? I'm sorry for my ignorance but this kind of stuff isn't what i do all day. Making my little site look the way it does was somewhat of a task for me. So if you could actually tell me exactly what it is i need to do, it would be very much appreciated.
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Is it ANY gallery on your site? Or specific galleries?
    Yes, all gallerys.
  • Options
    dborasdboras Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited April 14, 2007
    IE6 Operation Aborted? Post Here
    If you might could help me, when I get on my website on my laptop and click on a gallery I get this message
    internet explorer cannot open the internet site http://dboras.smugmug.com/gallery/2707581 operation aborted
    just started doing that yesterday any clues how to stop it
    thanks
    dboras
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2007
    Jcox wrote:
    What is it that needs to be removed? I'm sorry for my ignorance but this kind of stuff isn't what i do all day. Making my little site look the way it does was somewhat of a task for me. So if you could leave out suggestions and actually tell me exactly what it is i need to do, it would be very much appreciated.

hi jcox,

Sorry, my replies were specifically targetted to Dbl. I can't produce the issues you are seeing on your site.

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2007
    dboras wrote:
    If you might could help me, when I get on my website on my laptop and click on a gallery I get this message
    internet explorer cannot open the internet site http://dboras.smugmug.com/gallery/2707581 operation aborted
    just started doing that yesterday any clues how to stop it
    thanks
    dboras
    Hi, we're looking into this.. can you please tell us what browser and version? Thanks.
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    hi jcox,

Sorry, my replies were specifically targetted to Dbl. I can't produce the issues you are seeing on your site.

David
    Gotcha, so you're sure that Allen's fix won't help me?
  • Options
    dborasdboras Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited April 14, 2007
    intenet explorer 7
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2007
    Jcox wrote:
    Gotcha, so you're sure that Allen's fix won't help me?
    I just noticed you didn't have the latest code and think I remember it being
    mentioned in the past that some things won't work right without it. Probably
    has nothing to do with it like Dev says but wouldn't hurt.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    actually that's incorrect, just because you didn't see the errors...does not mean that they weren't there.

i tried to suggest something that is going to make your life easier, if you're not interested that's fine just leave things as they are.

Wow...I guess that is not the friendly service I have received in the past. I'm like jcox, I don't spend my days doing this and it has been a struggle getting my site up the way I wanted. It has worked fine with no errors and now I see that I am not the only one who is having trouble with IE. .

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=58935

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=58936

I had a very busy day today and just did not have time to deal with the issue right away. Doesn't mean I was not going to. I understand you guys have a difficult task dealing with all of us that are "challenged" but maybe one should not be so quick to deride your customer. Andy suggested posting the problem in the customization forum, but I see others have already done that so we will just leave it at that.
    Dan

Canon Gear